Can Kentucky Cover Two Touchdowns?

newton-wku
(Photo via UKAthletics.com)

This is not the discussion I want to be having in the second week of the season with a MAC opponent on deck. The Western Kentucky and Central Michigan games were scheduled to be easy wins to get some experience on the field before Louisville. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. The Hilltoppers stayed within a touchdown for over 55 minutes of the first game, and now Central Michigan comes in with a realistic chance of pulling off an upset.

UK opened up as a 14-point favorite over the Chippewas this week, but now the spread has dropped one point to -13. Can the Cats cover two touchdowns? They better.

Historically, Central Michigan keeps it close against Kentucky. Kentucky won 45-36 in 2006 and that was the fifth game of the team’s 8-win season that year. This year, Central Michigan comes into Commonwealth to face Kentucky immediately after UK’s ugliest performance in recent memory. This is means for concern.

Kentucky should win this one, but just a win won’t be good enough. They desperately need a blowout victory here. Only covering the two touchdowns still won’t please the fans going forward. Joker asked us for “more time” for the offense to get going – well, the Western game and this week of practice is all we’re giving him. The fans need to see 35+ points hung on the Chippewas on Saturday afternoon to keep a positive attitude going into the Governor’s Cup on the 17th.

This is a big game for Kentucky. And that’s sad.

Still, Go Cats.

#RISE

Article written by Drew Franklin

33 Comments for Can Kentucky Cover Two Touchdowns?

1. Vegas
    12:09 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

HELL NO! Did you watch the offense the first game???? Central Michigan all day +14. Lock of the year.

2. doc18uk
    12:14 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

I will take the Cats all day long -14

3. Lex08
    12:17 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

I think UK can cover as long as the defense holds Central Michigan to -10 points.

4. bluesince66
    12:19 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

We barely scored 14 on Western and you want 35 against probably a better team. I don’t think so. The Western game has had about the same effect on me as the Ole Miss game last year, just not very exited about UK’s football season.

5. Epps2Shep
    12:26 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

If I’m an SEC coach recruiting a player who has UK on his list, I direct them to every single comments section of any football post here. What good do y’all think you’re doing for the program? honest question? I’m all for good conversation, but my god, WE WON! We’re 1-0. 5 years ago, UK loses the game, and WKU would have scored much more than 3 pts. Let them play in front of the home crowd, then see what happens. You still gooing to be crying after that 5th straight win over UofL?

6. Joe
    12:27 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Every game is a big game. Seriously.

7. Doom or Gloom
    12:30 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Wow, boy are we doom and gloom on this site.

We all know basketball and football are different, but just 2 years ago we had an NBA all star team struggle against Miami of Ohio but this site did not turn into Doomsday.

Every writer on hear has gone over board with how bad we suck when it was jsut 1 game. At least give it 3 games.

8. Mrs. Schwump
    12:33 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Cats 45 Chippewas 7

9. doc18uk
    12:40 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

I agree Epps,sounds like alot of these folks are of the younger generation, which are considerably spoiled compared to past generations and also not very loyal. I am not saying we have to be over positive for no reason, but we don’t have to be ridiculously negative, which most on here are.

10. Z.Rex
    12:44 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

5) Totally agree. The D played well against WKU, and I for one would much rather have the offense get up to speed while the D holds the fort instead of the other way around (i.e. Mumme’s era). It’s like some fans don’t think the team can improve – after one bad game, the season is a disappointment? Come on.

11. Kwildcat
    12:55 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Drew – u got a short memory…prior game was an equally sorry performance against Pitt. Morgan and Company’s offense has laid two major eggs in last two outings. Please get better soon!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Holden McGroin
    12:55 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

#5 & #7-both right on the button.
    #7, i agree completely-there’s no way that miami game should have been close enough to need Wall hitting that last second shot, but no doom and gloom there-nothing but praise.
    Neither WKU or UK had any field advantage in Titan’s stadium, but playing in Commonwealth will definitely be in the Cats favor. Give these kids a little encouragement. I feel bad for them to come to a UK site and read some of the comments here. Do you people think that helps recruiting at all? Do you think it helps the young players at all- to read that crap? They are kids-lighten up or go find yourself another team to bash.
    Wow, i’m glad i don’t have a kid playing at UK.

13. tdogg4033011
    12:55 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

5&10) the best comments made this week since the WKU game.

14. Blondie1971
    1:02 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Where and at what time before the game is the Wildcat walk?

15. BBN
    1:03 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Newton will throw for 200+ yards, Clemons is going to break loose for a few big runs, and our D will hold them under 10 pts. CATS win by 3+ touchdowns… #RISE

16. Joe Diesel
    1:11 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Fire Joker. Hire Tressel.

17. Ben
    1:13 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

What three games in a row this year will UK score over 35 points? UK will not score 35 points in any single game this year! We have a quarterback that males impossible throws, receiver’s that can’t catch a ball that hits their hands and running backs that go down the second they are touched. This offense has no power to it! Nothing was fixed in the eight months since the bowl game, what makes you think they can get in done in a few weeks? Wait until the fifth week until you panic, we are told by the experts! That’s just about the time for basketball to start.

18. KySportsTWlTTER
    1:14 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

In a word. No.

19. kentuckyfan
    1:18 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

No need to look at the Central Michigan game and predict 35+ points for the Cats. I will take a one point win. This game could easily turn into an embarrassing loss. Let’s hope it does not go that way.

20. Coyote Hunter
    1:18 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Can UK even score 2 touchdowns? In one game? By the offense? Hire Tressel

21. Boom baby
    1:19 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

I’m a newer fan i suppose, born in ’87. My father is as negative as anyone. He graduated in ’78 and is always negative about football. I have faith every year! Yes, the WKU game was a disappointment, but the D played great. Gotta look at the pluses here guys! It’s odd to say, but our D will send us to a bowl this year- just give the O some time to click.

Go cats

22. Airaid
    1:29 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

23. Kyle
    1:32 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Our D sucks too. If WKU’s QB could throw the ball accurately, they would have had at last 3 or 4 more long completions.

24. C.R.E.A.M.
    1:34 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

UNDER 47.5 is the play

UK 20 CMU 6

25. Kwildcat
    1:40 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Coaches may play a part in the poor performance on O. Joker and Co said Morgan was ready, the O was ready, the line was the strength of the O. Wrong on all three!!! Minter had his boys ready to play and they played very well. I’m just sayin, not any haters here, just sayin.

26. Vegas
    1:52 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Its not doom and gloom its reality. You say after 1 game….

We dont have Randall Cobb, Derrick Locke or Chris Mathews anymore. We had a hard enough time scoring with that group. How in the world do you think its possible to score 45 points???????????????? lol. I love Kentucky but its all about being realistic. I will root for the team all day long but how many games of stupid shit offense do you have to watch?

We had one of the top 5 players in the conference last year and he never touched the ball. Think about it.

27. Sheriff Buford T. Justice
    1:59 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Very nervous about this game. Chippewas have been bowling four times in the last five years. Not saying we are going to lose but to assume that this is going to be an easy game is absolutely stupid. If the O doesn’t come with a much better performance then we’re going to be 1-1 after saturday

28. Realitycheck
    2:01 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

Every single game that Kentucky plays in is a big game for the football program.

29. Lex08
    2:17 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

The problem isn’t the kids. The longer this coaching staff has to prepare its team to play, the worse it gets. The Tennessee game to end the regular season last year was horrible. Then the coaches had over a month to prepare against a coachless Pittsburgh team and things got even worse. Now, they had an entire off-season to prepare for Western and it was miraculously even worse than the Pitt game. The kids are not the reason this program is moving slowly, but surely, in reverse.

30. Danny F.
    2:49 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

The question should be…Can KENTUCKY score two touchdowns?

31. UKGrad83
    3:24 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

SEC coaches don’t have to point to the negative messages on the boards to lure recruits away – all they have to do is tell them to watch a UK game. Pitiful. Yes, the defense wasn’t bad but the offense was truly offensive. Wake up people and stop drinking the blue kool aid. This program isn’t rising – it’s slowly sinking back to the bottom.

32. Vick
    3:44 pm September 6, 2011 Permalink

I would have to agree with half and half what is said on here. It’s not time for doom and gloom just yet! I was at the game and left during the 4th quarter it was such a pitiful performance. (Before you say I’m not a loyal I ABOSOLUTELY bleed blue! Every year I support football with passion! The truth is I was getting so upset that I was starting to make a fool of myself so I left.) It is very disappointing that after a terribel bowl performance that it was followed up by an even worse performance! That’s very, VERY disappionting. I will reserve my judgement after this weekend. If we have yet another terrible performance then it’s going to be a long, LONG year! But like I said a million times until the athletic department wants to spend the money on a big time coach or at least a strong up and comer then we will continue to wallow in mediocrity because I just strongly feel Joker is not the answer. I hope I’m wrong and I’ll be the first one to apologize if I’m wrong someday….

33. mkalg