Campus police officer fired after dorm room confrontation

LEX 18 is reporting that David Thompson, one of the two police officers caught on camera searching a UK student’s dorm room without permission, has been fired.

The student, Graham Gaddis, secretly taped the confrontation, which began after eyewitnesses claimed Gaddis had dumped liquor bottles out of his window. Thompson and his partner came to Gaddis’ room to investigate, and the three got into an argument over whether or not they could search his room without a warrant.

According to student housing policies, university personnel, including university police, may enter a student’s residence hall without permission for various reasons. However, they do not have the right to search the room, including that refrigerator, without permission.

118 Comments for Campus police officer fired after dorm room confrontation

1. Ridge Runner
    5:53 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Sharp patrol car.

Yup the ole “No Voluntary Consent or search warrant” rule knocks out a cop again. At the most he prolly only found a bag of weed anyway.

2. Jus Sayin
    5:53 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Civil Liberties. Who needs em?

3. yeahright
    5:56 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Karma says someday that kid is going to really need an officer, and there’s not going to be one there to help him. Just sayin…

4. rich
    5:57 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

WIN! Let this be a precedent to all police officers, you are being watched!

5. Han
    5:57 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

3) They didn’t have the right to search his room, but what do you want to bet he was one of those douchebags that throw bottles out of their room?

6. Inspector gadget
    5:57 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

I mean shouldn’t UK’s police force be putting all their energy towards finding the foot stabber…?

7. JVice
    6:01 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

the cop in the video was half right. Someone get expelled, but it wasn’t the student.

8. Rambo
    6:01 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

The officer deserved to be punished for not following procedures…but fired?

I hope someon catches little [email protected] out and beats the living ish out of him. The officer probably has a family he is supporting and this little a-
    hole cost him his job.

9. MrG
    6:02 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

This sucks. The cop was trying to do his job and the jerk kid was behaving like a spoiled, insufferable prick. Uk cops should be allowed to make some attitude adjustments to some of these assholes.

10. Ridge Runner
    6:02 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

4) Yes, bad cops need to be gone no doubt.

But to be honest… I think they know they have less room to make a mistake and are watched more so than the public watches out for actual criminals. Kinda ironic…in a way. Tough job. My first thought when I read your post.
    😉

11. Tropix
    6:05 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

I was involved with UK Police for 3 years while I was in undergrad. Ofc. Thompson is a good dude and an even better police officer. He loves the university, loves the students and loved his job. Sad day that he was fired over THIS. Honestly, I think he showed a lot of restraint…

12. DLW
    6:05 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

While what the officer did against the rules. The kid should defiantly be taught some manners. That kid acted like a complete D-Bag and needs a good ol fashion country ass whoppin. Its sad that the kid “won” this round but I have a feeling lifes going to get him one day.
    I feel bad for the officer who was just doing his job and avoided whippin that kids ass.

13. SgtE
    6:05 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

As a former military cop that officer deserved to lose his job. He should know better.
    Good for that student to stand up for his rights. The student would have been right to defend himself with force once the officer unnecessarily touched him as well…
    If you don’t have cause to restrain or arrest a person it’s an assault. Period.

14. LeX
    6:05 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Thats actually great to hear. Its unfortunate how the kid acted, he shouldve treated them with the respect they deserve. On the other hand the police office whom shoved his way in shouldve been the professional that hes paid (or was paid rather) to be and cited the regulation that allowed him to enter the room. The fact that he thought he could search the room speaks to the abuse of power and lack of professionalism and he deservedly got fired for it. I like to think that most police follow the rules they enforce, but sometimes a few bad apples such as this officer can ruin the perception. No one should be defending this man for giving police the bad name that they carry. The kid had a right to tell them that they couldnt search his stuff. He was wrong in going about it the way he did but that doesnt mean the police have the right to operate outside of the law.

15. JVice
    6:07 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Rambo – the kid was a jerk, and probably was throwing alcohol out of his room window. That being said, the cop cost himself his job. He clearly lacked the temperament to deal with this situation.

16. bluristhurr
    6:07 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

I think it’s sad the student knew more then the cop. Good thing this happened before the cop got somebody in some real trouble by not following procedure.

17. LeX
    6:07 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

11. Pushing the kid back and violating the 4th amendment and University policy and yelling back at a kid clearly shows that this isnt the line of work he should be in. Police are not bouncers and shouldnt act as such.

18. hi
    6:08 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

lex, go back to /sp/

19. WhatComesAround
    6:08 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Graham Gaddis? Congratulations Graham. You will forever be known as that immature prick who led to a police officer getting fired. Getting a good paying job will be hard now. All Human Resources has to do is google your name to see your true character.

20. LeX
    6:09 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

The kid is technically within his right to sue the University also. They had to fire him.

21. bluristhurr
    6:09 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Right on #13 SgtE

22. yeahright
    6:09 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

It IS a good thing to know your rights. However, just because you have the right to behave like an arse, doesn’t mean you should. He could have informed the officers of his rights with much more respect… that’s all I’m saying. They have a tough, often thankless, underpaid job. Just my two cents…

23. VRS
    6:09 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

If that young man were my son, I would consider myself a total failure as a parent, and I would be mortified. He would be cut out of my will until he learned proper respect.

24. Dude
    6:10 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

He got what he deserved, he was trained to do
    His job the correct way and didn’t. There goes the
    95% ruining it for the 5% again.

25. LeX
    6:10 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

18. You mad?

26. LeX
    6:11 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

22, Hes still the paid professional here. His job is to take the abuse and channel it in a productive way. If he or any other officer lose control at some kid talking trash, they should NOT be police officers.

27. Rambo
    6:12 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

15…you are right as far as the letter of the law. I could never be a cop. The kid was taping this just to show that he could push the guy into doing something. The litte dick knew the law better than the cop. That being said…I hope he gets his teeth shoved down his throat and needs to call campus police for help.

28. LeX
    6:13 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

27 And thats productive how. Perhaps the cop had a history of losing his cool and the kid wanted to document it.

29. rich
    6:16 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

@rambo, you were that guy in highschool who wore a camo jacket with the sleeves cut off and chewed dip in class.

30. Bob Cobb
    6:18 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

It is my understanding that the cop was recorded saying “There is no 4th Amendment.” as he searched the fridge. That, friends, is the reason he was fired. He would be useless in a suppression hearing in any future case with that quote.

That said, I hope the officer lands on his feet. This is a tough time of year to lose your job.

31. fb>bb
    6:20 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

The kid had no rights because it isn’t his property. Its University property. The kid signed an agreement giving the University the right to enter. I hope the cop sues for big bucks.

32. schwing
    6:21 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

*cops. hooray for tablet keyboards.

33. Bob Cobb
    6:23 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Lmao, 31. I’ll come into your hotel room sometime and take a big dump in your bed, and you won’t be able to do anything about it because it isn’t your property, it is the hotel’s.

34. schwing
    6:23 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

fb>bb, he was fired appropriately. you don’t think the university would know?

35. rich
    6:23 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

@fb>bb, wrong. although the student forfeited certain rights by living in the dorm, the officer still stepped out of bounds by a). searching the room. and b). putting hands on the student without said student giving the officer reason to make an arrest. the officer literally has no grounds for litigation. sorry. oh wait, no i’m not.

36. Dude
    6:23 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

#31 seems like you know the law almost as well as the cop…

37. AndyOfMayberry
    6:24 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Since when have the Police become the enemy??? I hope this kid gets a pistol whipping the next time they catch him out drunk.You adults act worse than an 18 year old with no respect.

38. Chuck Norris
    6:26 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

That kid really needs his ass kicked. What a douche. I guarantee he dumped those bottles then acting like a little 3rd grader.

39. Bob Cobb
    6:26 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Not the enemy, 37, most of us would just rather not live in this police state you imagine so vividly.

40. LeX
    6:26 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

31 You are completely wrong there. As noted in the post the Police do not have the right to search the room. That’s probably based on the 4th amendment. Technically the kid could sue the police officer and the University for violation of policy and civil liberties. The fact that you or anyone else is on the police officers side for violating a basic right is disgusting. The kid is a douche bag. Easily. But you know what? Hes a kid. Living on campus. The police officer should have been able to control himself rather than physically pushing the kid and should have known the search policy of the University and basic knowledge of the 4th amendment and the supreme court cases regarding it being thats the amendment he probably deals with the most.

41. Rambo
    6:27 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

rich…I didn’t wear the camo jacket, cut off sleeves, or chew tobacco, but I couldn’t control myself in a situation like this cop found himself. That is why I said I could never be a cop. To listen to that piece of ish run his mouth like that punk did and not snap takes too much.

If I was the guy with the cama/cut offs/dip…what was this little [email protected]@hole?

42. World Metta Peace
    6:28 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

is the 2nd cop gonna get any punishment in this??

43. Fap Fap Fap
    6:28 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

The kid was clearly just frustrated because his parents hated him enough to name him Graham. What a horribly liberal name to be given at birth. He was destined for douchebaggery.

44. rich
    6:29 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

@fap fap fap, much like yourself…

45. LeX
    6:30 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

42 I dont think the 2nd cop deserves and disciplinary action for just being there. To me its clear that the cop that lost his cool was alone in his actions.

46. Zach
    6:31 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Just to be clear, the only violation this cop was guilty of was physical contact (aka pushing the student). I go to UK myself, and they’re definitely allowed to come in your room any time they have to reason to believe you’re in violation, which the kid was. The student deserves to be expelled for provoking the situation and having alcohol in his possession.

47. rich
    6:31 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

@rambo, as far as police matters go, this one seemed pretty tame. i’m sure these officers have dealt with much more stressful situations, ie state street after the win over louisville in the final four, or the title win over kansas for that matter. the fact that THIS caused him to blow his lid is pretty ridiculous really.

48. Heisenberg
    6:31 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Yeah the cop crossed the line, but based on the evidence presented in this video I think we can agree that Graham is a chode

49. LeX
    6:32 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

46, the police officer was also in violation by searching the room. He can be in there all he wants and anything in direct sight is fair game. Opening the fridge in addition to physically engaging the kid is what got him fired.

50. Fap Fap Fap
    6:33 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

@Rich,

Good one man. Have any more? If it was the liberal reference that upset you, I find your username to be delightfully ironic.

51. LeX
    6:35 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

48 I dont think anyone is debating whether or not the kid is a douche. Its pretty clear that he is. Still doesnt give the cop the authority.

52. Dude
    6:37 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

#37 police for the most part no longer seek to protect or serve, but rather
    To arrest and collect revenue. I wouldn’t argue the kid was an ass. Doesn’t mean
    He loses all his rights. It’s people with your attitude who become
    Cops who scare the hell outta me.

53. Heisenberg
    6:37 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

#48 agree with cop not having the authority, just looking for the happy middle ground that everyone can agree on

54. Chip
    6:38 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Look at his Facebook page, he is a real winner

55. rich
    6:38 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

@fap fap fap, i need fodder for my cannon, although i’m sure you’ll supply me with such with another statement or two. also, my username is my actual name. crazy right?

56. gkdld
    6:38 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Here’s the turd’s facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/graham.gaddis?ref=ts&fref=ts

Feel free to celebrate his douche baggery there.

57. gossie21
    6:39 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

The kid acted like a jerk for sure, but the police have no reason to enter a residence without a search warrant (absent exigent circumstances). Not only did the first officer violate his 4th Amendment right, but the officer assaulted him upon entry (twice). Sadly this happens way more often than it should and the police are not held accountable for it.

58. Jealous
    6:40 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

@29 – And you would be the feminine guy that wore the “skinny” jeans and whose best friends were all girls.

59. gkdld
    6:40 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

keep in mind, he’s apparently underage (what 21 year old would live in a dorm) and also has pictures of himself on Facebook with alcohol. way to go, UK!

CONSTITUTION, BILL OF RIGHTS, POLICE STATE

60. Shane
    6:41 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

That douche bag kid set that cop up and it worked. I feel sorry for the officer and his family. Way to go punk now some family will be wondering where there next meal will be coming from.

61. rich
    6:46 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

@jealous, looks like i found the guy i previously described.

62. DaveB
    6:47 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

#46. Clearly you have a reading comprehension issue. THE OFFICER WAS NOT ALLOWED TO SEARCH HIS ROOM. Clear enough?

63. ibleedblue4UK
    6:49 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Please kick this kid out of UK. Karma will come back to get him

64. Grow up Cuz
    6:54 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

I’m sick of hearing he should have showed the cop the respect he deserved. Why did he deserve? Respect isn’t given it’s earned. This cop might have been a good officer and baited into something, I don’t know. I’m sick of hearing people say you should respect the police BS. If they show respect to you which some do then you should respect them back. However, if they have the ” cop attitude” a lot of them do, screw them.
    The police that use common sence and treat people fairly serve a important place in society and deserve respect. They deserve gratitude from every one because they keep us and our property safe. The ones who treat people like we owe them something and think they are the law instead, of only a enforcer of the law sicken me. The “cop attitude ” of some tarnish the reputation of the good officers and lead to the utter disgusts that many have for the police!

65. DaveB
    6:56 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Neither party is in the right. The main difference being that the officer absolutely has to react differently and know every letter of the Law. The embarrassment for UK is the fact that this little punk had more knowledge on the subject than the officer. I don’t feel sorry for the officer at all. He failed miserably at his job and was caught on tape = Fired. The one interesting question that remains, is why did the kid quickly get out his camera and start recording? IMO he knew the officer that he was dealing with and wanted to expose what I would assume others have experienced with said officer.

66. the Fink
    6:58 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

8) No it was the cop that cost him his job.

67. blueaville
    6:58 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

campus police at all colleges are a bunch of barney fifes. however this kid is a punk.

68. Kentucky alum
    6:59 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

while I feel bad for the officer for losing his job I see nothing wrong with how the kid acted. he strongly defended his rights of being violated. The cops tried using their badge as a way to scare the kid into illegally letting them in. People are acting like its the kids fault the police were breaking the rules. bottom line is we are all given rights as humans to protect ourselves, the police vowed to respect those rights when they became police and in this case they broke the rules they promised to uphold. sad story in the end but i just don’t agree with anybody saying the kid is the bad guy in this.

69. Grow up Cuz
    7:06 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

#61) I like how every one feels sorry for the officer and how bad he was treated. What about the other side of that coin. How about the families of the people who are wronged by the police how about the people how have been effected by unwarranted beatings at the hands of the police.
    I’m not talking about this particular incident. The kid is a obvious D- bag but that doesn’t strip him of his rights. I keep seeing all these pro cop people talking about the alcohol this kid had. I didn’t see no evidence that he ever had any. Somebody claimed he was throwing bottles out the window doesn’t mean he did. Hell he could have been a victim here no body knows.

70. Whoops
    7:08 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

The Cop lost his cool and barged in the room and opened up the fridge just cause the kid said he couldnt. The officer is not supposed to lose his cool like that, it cost him his job, if he would have let the kid win that battle, the cop could have won the war later. but he lost his cool and his chance.

71. IhateCops
    7:09 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

This is a great day. Cops think they can do whatever they want and get away with it. Well not today, at least. I hope the cop who pushed the student gets sued and loses everything. If he has a family I hope they leave them.

72. Rambo
    7:11 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

66 is right. Both parties messed up. The man (who probably is unemployed with a family) is the one who will pay. The kid with no respect for authority moves along.

73. bluristhurr
    7:13 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

This is the 1st time I’ve seen a cop being held accountable! I guess that’s why so many people are defending the cop and don’t know their rights so many has died for.

74. bluegrass79
    7:13 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

fu## the police. This made my day.

75. coyotevomit
    7:16 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

That dude is the biggest douchebag I’ve seen in a while. What a prick.

76. Pfunk
    7:16 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

I have witnessed UK cops break the law many times as a student on and off campus. This prick got what he deserved.

77. Ric Flair
    7:21 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Cop got what he deserved, one less dirty cop on the street.

78. Rodney King
    7:22 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

You mad bro?

79. Rambo
    7:24 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

56 You see the video on his FB? Not the first time he tried to belittle authority figures.

80. Grow up Cuz
    7:25 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

#73) Are you a night watchman somewhere? You have been defending this cop way to strongly. The kid was a prick and no dought will get a beating over it some time soon and he will deserve it. The cop however took the law into his hands and violated the rights he vowed to protect. You should be able to tell by the comments on here that this isn’t the only officer who has treated people poorly.
    If someone is breaking the law they should be punished. The crime should define the punishment I have no problem with that. The police need to stop acting like they’re above everybody. Let’s be honest 70% of the police have a horrible attitude and need to find anther line of work. Most people’s opinion of the Police is very low and that’s a shame

81. Pfunk
    7:26 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

The cop would still be employed if he didn’t abuse his authority acted more like a professional. The last thing we need are hot headed power trip types with badges and guns. He is more likely to violate and destroy than protect and serve. I’m glad that guy is fired. People get fired everyday for no good reason who do their jobs well, downsizing etc. This guy broke the law and violated a citizens rights…i have no sympathy for the cop. He deserved it.

82. Dumb
    7:30 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Anyone who thinks the cop was in the right is fuggin retarded. That cop had absolutely no right to search his room and tried to lie about the dorm rules and this kids rights as a person. The fuggin cop was just acting like most cops… A power hungry pig who tries to take full advantage of his immoral job. I realize he may be trying to do his job, but this definitely isn’t in his job description. He chose to be an immoral cop, he wasn’t forced to be one. He got what he deserved. Die pigs.

83. Dumb
    7:33 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

64… You are a fuggin idiot. Sure the Kia acted like a prick but he did nothing to deserve being kicked out of a school because he was smart and protecting his rights. You’re probably an old fart. If so, you should go ahead and die. Your old ass Is wasting up our resources.

84. the fuzz
    7:38 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

He could have been arrested for disorderly conduct for the cursing in and cursing that could be heard in the hallway. It’s ashame the officers didn’t snatch this punk up and take him to jail.

85. Creepyuncle
    7:44 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Conversation between the bad cop and his sidekick right after the incident with the douche bag college kid.

Bad Cop: Man what a freaking punk! Hey I didn’t do anything stupid did I?

Sidekick: No way brother! You had every right to push your way in and search that fridge. If it wasn’t for that stupid camera he had set up we could’ve bashed his skull in!

Bad Cop: Yeah I was kind of thinking the same thing. Stupid punk!!

Sidekick: Hey Smith just texted me and said that the red light is on at Krispy Kreme.

Bad Cop: Sweet!! Code 1 to Krispy Kreme!

86. kentuckyjoe
    7:44 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Fired? He should be promoted.

87. PSkrilla
    7:45 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

I was given a fake 5 dollar bill by a cashier when buying a used CD back in 1999 near Kennedy’s. Unknowingly….I put it in my student account to print a term paper. After I left the lady noticed it and called the campus police. I had just moved off campus and had not updated my address with the university. I was an out of state student….OMG they initiated a fcking manhunt!! called my parents and interrogated them and told them i was a wanted felon and i had to turn myself in. They wound not tell them what i did. My mother almost had a damn heart attack. I had no clue what was going on so i had my friend drop me off at the station, i wore a wire (tape recorder i bought for class taped to my chest). First thing the guy said as he grabbed me and shoved me up two flights of stairs was that I could receive the death penalty for treason. The interrogation went on for over an hour and a half with multiple douchebags, was not alowed to leave and was handcuffed to a chair. I was eventually let go. But the hate for UK cops remains. Today was a good day. If i knew then what i know now. I would have sued and probably gotten multiple cops fired. This is the longest post in KSR history.

88. the fuzz
    7:53 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Why is this on a sports blog? Keep to sports Tyler.

89. Erica
    7:56 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

As a student of UK, the cop can come in the room, but he CAN NOT search the kids fridge, and that’s why the cop lost his job. The room is university property, the fridge however is not. NO UK official, RA, anyone is allowed to search students personal belongings or open anything in a students room including dressers, doors, fridges, etc. without a search warrant. As well, UK police officers have no say in Lexington and are basically rent a cops for the university. They dont even carry handcuffs or anything.

90. STLCaf
    7:59 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

The kids is a straight up punk!! What goes around comes around.

91. basiclaw
    8:02 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

I think many on here are missing an important part. The punk kid did give permission for the officer to search the refrigerator. In the video, he plainly tells the officer “you open it.” That constitutes verbal consent, and at no time did he tell the officer to stop searching it. I also agree with above poster about disorderly conduct. His ass should have been arrested.

92. Lawdog
    8:06 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

As a current young attorney and former resident of Kirwin I, I can honestly say that I can certainly recall the days where I possessed a complete lack of authority for University police. In fact, the LPD was actually worse. One officer alone, Officer Haynes, arrested me for PI/AI/Possession of alcohol on four separate occasions. Officer Haynes would actually seek me out at parties where 150+ underage drinkers were present to arrest/cite me with all three of the above-mentioned misdemeanors. If he could throw in a noise ordinance violation, he was loathe to do so.

That said, only 5 years removed from undergrad at UK, I do have a different view on police as well as the service they provide. This little prick deserves a real ass whippin’, but not at the behest of a State actor. The officer was undoubtedly provoked, and he lost his cool. That said, police officers are trained to keep their composure under exactly these types of circumstances. This little asshole provoked the police, and the officer gave the little ass exactly what he wanted.

If I were the officer, and the little prick spoke to me like that, and I had been called there on an alleged alcohol/public safety report, I would have arrested the little ass for disorderly conduct. At that point, I believe that the police officer would have possessed probable cause to perform a “search” as defined under the 4th Amendment, especially when you take into account the reason why the cop was called to his dorm room in the first place, to look for alcohol in the kid’s dorm. This would have made it a “lawful search incident to arrest.”

What proved to be the ultimate downfall to this officer was the following: (1) threatening to have the kid kicked off campus/expelled; and (2) (more importantly) the physical contact with the little ass.

Just my 2 cents…please don’t slam me for bringing a young lawyer’s perspective to the conversation.

93. BleedingBlue79
    8:08 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

This kid was obviously acting like a jerk, and the cop may very well have been a good cop & good guy who maybe didn’t deserve to lose his job over this, so in no way am I reveling in his personal misfortune, but honestly, in my time at UK, I witnessed enough total and complete unprovoked disrespect & harassment by UK cops toward UK students, that when a UK cop finally gets caught overstepping his bounds and actually has to face consequences for his actions, the most immediate feeling I have is NOT a rush of sympathy for the cop.

94. basiclaw
    8:11 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Lawdog,

I agree with most of your post, except the search incident to arrest. The search incident to arrest must be related to the arrest. If arrested for disorderly conduct, there is no basis for a search. I still stand behind my post that consent was given to search.

95. Lawdog
    8:12 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

As a current young attorney and former resident of Kirwin I, I can honestly say that I can certainly recall the days where I possessed a complete lack of authority for University police. In fact, the LPD were actually worse. One officer alone, Officer Haynes, arrested me for PI/AI/Possession of alcohol on four separate occasions. Officer Haynes would actually seek me out at parties where 150+ underage drinkers were present to arrest/cite me with all three of the above-mentioned misdemeanors. If he could throw in a noise ordinance violation, he was loathe to do so.

That said, only 5 years removed from undergrad at UK, I do have a different view on police as well as the service they provide. This little prick deserves a real a$$ whippin’, but not at the behest of a State actor. The officer was undoubtedly provoked, and he lost his cool. That said, police officers are trained to keep their composure under exactly these types of circumstances. This little a$$hole provoked the police, and the officer gave the little a$$ exactly what he wanted.

If I were the officer, and the little prick spoke to me like that, and I had been called there on an alleged alcohol/public safety report, I would have arrested the little a$$ for disorderly conduct. At that point, I believe that the police officer would have possessed probable cause to perform a “search” as defined under the 4th Amendment, especially when you take into account the reason why the cop was called to his dorm room in the first place (to look for alcohol in the kid’s dorm). This would have made it a “lawful search incident to arrest.”

What proved to be the ultimate downfall to this officer was the following: (1) threatening to have the kid kicked off campus/expelled (where he possessed absolutely no power to do so); (2) making said threat in an attempt to coerce the kid into waiving his rights; and (3) (most importantly) the physical contact with the little D-Bag. This is a battery, assault and a civil rights violation (Sec. 1983, or 1981…always get the two mixed up…)

96. Lawdog
    8:27 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Basic Law,

I agree with you 100%. A search incident to arrest must be related to the crime that is being charged. In a perfect world, the officers would have arrested the kid for disorderly conduct, applied for a search warrant, received said warrant, and then proceeded with the search. My only reason for arguing the search incident to arrest doctrine above was that I personally believe that the kid’s behavior and “belligerent” language could have provided them probable cause that the little a$$ was under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. When you bootstrap the “complaining witness” with this kid’s behavior, I certainly think they could have made a valid argument that the kid was under the influence, thereby justifying the search.

Like I said, if not for the threats, assault, battery and coercion, I think this cop would still have a job. I think he had PC for the search, just not the way that he presented it.

97. basiclaw
    8:35 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Lawdog,

Good points. He definitely could have been arrested for disorderly, and was teetering on menacing. Not sure if he touched one of the officers, especially when they walked outside. If so, then Assault 3rd would have been in order. Should have arrested his ass, and then asked the roommate for permission to search. Would have saved the officer a lot of headache,and I’m sure he is thinking the same thing.

98. the Big Dog
    8:47 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

The officer probably overstepped his rights in searching the dorm room. Students enjoy a reasonable expectation of privacy in their dorm rooms. However, there are exceptions to the requirement for a warrant such as exigent circumstances, where an imminent risk of harm makes obtaining a warrant impossible; a search incident to a lawful arrest; and a “plain view” search conducted incident to a lawful entry of the premises. Moreover, the dorm contract may provide for consent to search rooms. – I don’t know what UK requires or how it may relate to this search. It is unlikely that a carte blanch consent to search in a dorm contract would be valid- it must be limited to the protection of the university’s institutional interests. As I recall from the video, it wasn’t clear who initiated the contact. In any event, one thing is certain- both parties could have done better. It’s hard for me to justify firing the officer unless there are other incidents. Seems like the University needs to send him for further training regarding the 4th Amendmend and being more sensitive to punks with video cameras.

99. ThisKidSucks
    8:49 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

@GreatGrahamma
    i present to you his twitter handle.

100. Blue&White
    9:08 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

As much of a punk as this kid was (and believe me, he seems like the kind of dbag I would love to beat the crap out of), I can’t help but feel good about this. Mainly because this is the same officer who arrested me for cussing at my friends. After I yelled at one of them for shoving me at a football game, and with my back turned to the officers, he grabbed me and turned me around and said “Oh, F#@k me? Alright.” On the police report it says “Threatening a police officer.” To me it seems that this is just a gung ho dude that thought he worked in L.A. or downtown Brooklyn and wanted to make college kids sweat by imposing his authority. FInal verdict: Kid is a douchebag, deserves to be beaten up, cop is a douchebag, deserves to be fired.

101. Lawdog
    9:54 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Big Dog,

I also understand your points. They are not lost upon me. However, this is not a dissertation on the 4th Amendment, nor can neither of us attempt to recite Criminal Procedure from law school in a matter of a few paragraphs (I Am Jured Crim Pro at my school, for the record). Those of us familiar with the law can certainly state each of the exigent circumstances that would/could have excused the warrant requirement (assuming, of course, certain rights aren’t waived by the contractual dorm residential policies). Who cares? Arguing the inapplicable circumstances were not the point of the earlier post, nor were they awarded additional points in your law school final examination. This is not the Bar exam. Get over yourself, “big” guy. Stick with the facts sub judice.

Facts:
    (1) Cops were called to the scene pursuant to a complaint of someone throwing bottles/alcoholic beverages from a dorm window;
    (2) Dorm window was identified as that of the D-bag;
    (3) Cops make contact with said D-bag, who in turns denies entry to administrative officers (debatable as to whether he had the right to do so based upon contract);
    (4) D-bag speaks to police as though they are scum, continually degrading and disrespecting them, in a very belligerent manner;
    (5) D-bag criminally liable for disorderly conduct, and based upon complaint that brought them there in the first place, were perfectly justified in searching the room for alcohol following d-bag’s behavior.

Again, the cops were justified in their search in that they had P.C. that this kid was under the influence as a minor, a misdemeanor. This provided the police with the right to perform a search incident to arrest to find said drugs and/or alcohol. The problem was not the search! It was the preceding threats, and subsequent assault.

102. Sorry flatfoot
    10:01 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Really doesn’t matter what we think. I can’t say with 100% certainty if the search was or wasn’t legal . What I can say is the cop lost his temper. Lost his job, and the kid is still a student at UK. Maybe the lawyers who know a helva lot more then I, can tell me. If the kid as any further harassment from the police can he sue claiming it is retaliation from this incident. It would seem to me that the school and police would have to have a rock solid case to bother him again where this is on tape and very public now.

103. Lawdog
    10:06 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

Flatfoot,

Certainly, this kid has painted a target on his own back. Unfortunately for him, he has lost sight of the fact that police officers possess a great deal of authority when it comes to showing leniency. Many violations of the law are left up to the discretion of the officer as to whether he wishes to cite/arrest a person. This kid will always catch the $hit end of the stick for the rest of his career in Lexington.

My advice…move to Loserville, change my name, and change my attitude.

104. gkglsd
    10:12 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

his facebook page has pictures of him on campus, in what looks like UK housing, with alcohol bottles. how dumb is he to put that sh*t on Facebook and not make his account private?

105. Sorry flatfoot
    10:22 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

#102 I’m not going to argue law with you because I’m a laid off coal miner and no nothing about the law. Now that that’s out of the way. I could be wrong but the police didn’t take the kid to jail and after the wat he acted I’m going to assume they would have if possible. So from that and again I’m probably wrong but I’m also going to assume he wasn’t drinking or they would have taken him to jail. So if he wasn’t drinking how would have that effected the search? Would have they had reason to search his room I might be wrong but I’m guessing once the spoke to him in the doorway that would have given them the right to detain him for PI.

106. Sorry flatfoot
    10:30 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

#104 This kid Definatly let his mouth over ride his rear. This is one of those moves where everybody tells you your right and stand up to the man, as long as they aren’t with you. Lol I guess that is why so many people have watched this and commented. Most think he was right and liked the stand he took except for his attitude, but the rest of us are smart enuff to know better. You can’t win a fight with the police. You might win a battle but you can damn well bet hey will win the war. Too many of them, they are everywhere, and they can put your ass in jail. If you read to laws everybody is close to breaking one chewing gum and crossing the road at the same time.

107. MNCat
    10:42 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

The cop justifiably lost his job, if for no other reason than the unprofessionalism of his conduct here. But if I’m this kid’s parent paying for his tuition, I would personally drag his ass down to the Marine Corps recruiting center and tell him he’s joining or he’ll never get another dime from me or his mother.

108. Terry
    11:29 pm December 12, 2012 Permalink

What are the names of the cops involved? Thompson is the name of the guy who got fired, but who is the other cop wearing the glasses?

109. Rich
    12:58 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

You young punks ain’t’t nothing but a bunch of bitches. Kid is a dick! Officer fired, give me a break. Working’ to make a check and u get fired for that? Vote Obama!

110. Mike
    2:58 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

As being a former resident of Haggin Hall and having the pleasant chance to interact with Officer Thompson, I believe you would have to understand the circumstances surrounding the problem.

Officer Thompson was always on a power trip and constantly used intimidating attacks to put fear into INNOCENT college students. After watching the video (knowing it was a UK student) I could immediatly identify Officer Thompson from his verbal threats to the student.

Officer Thompson threatened to have me kicked out of the university if I did not allow him access to my dorm room. This man handled INNOCENT situations like they were freaking problems of national security. After not allowing access to my room for a good ten minutes, he had a get my R.A. to open the door. All while this is going on, some girl is probably having her foot stabbed in the library or some VIOLENT crime.

He lied multiple times to multiple students and all these were INNOCENT NON VIOLENT (and let me say that again.) NON VIOLENT incidences. I feel no sorrow for this man and hope he learned his lesson. He also assaulted the young man in his own dorm room.

Do not give me that beligerant crap either folks. The UKPD and police officers are paid to deal with this crap everyday. The only professionals involved her were the police and they did not act professionally. The kid in his dorm room had every right to strike back at Officer Thompson who assaulted him first.

111. Mike Jones
    4:43 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

109- Tommy Andrew Enricco is officer #2
    you can find him on Facebook

112. putinrichie
    5:59 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

While the kid clearly is a punk(who will probably spend time in jail some day), the police officer was unprofessional in his actions and disrespected both UK and Lexington police. Not only did he go down to the kid’s level with insults, but he completely lost control of the situation repeatedly and made a HUGE MISTAKE pushing his way into the kids room. While he may have the right to go into the room, he shouldn’t use force or physically touch the kid to do so. He also should have been smarter than to start going through things in the kids room.

113. RonRon
    6:24 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

I can not believe this… The Kid is a punk and should no longer be part of this university. What is our world coming to that a kid can act out like that and the cop gets fired. Someone needs to jump that kid and beat the crap out of him.
    F’ing Punk !!!

114. Cutthroat Trout
    9:39 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

F that cop! We are better off as a society with less of them. Cops SUCK! and that kid was an ASSHAT…both of them did the wrong thing.

115. Blue&White
    12:16 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

#111, I’m glad to see that this student and I are not the only ones to have been harassed by this guy. Makes me feel even better about his firing.

116. CB4284
    2:59 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

In response to 8.Rambo Says:
    December 12th, 2012 at 6:01 pm
    The officer deserved to be punished for not following procedures…but fired?

hole cost him his job.

The only person that cost the cop his job was the cop himself. If in fact he has a family at home that he is supporting then he needs to follow the rules and more importantly educate himself on the rules and laws that were set forth.

If a person steals $10000 out of a purse is it the person with purses fault…..no…the person who stole the purse was in the wrong even if the person that had the purse was a mouthy a$$hole.

117. Keith
    3:59 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

That kid may have been a total a-hole but even a-holes have 4th amendment rights. The cop should have know better and deserved to be fired.