Campers already lining up

(via Aaron Smith)

The campout for Big Blue Madness tickets doesn’t officially begin until 7:00 am tomorrow morning, but that’s not stopping this group of diehard Cats fans from hanging out across Avenue of Champions on the sidewalk.

Let’s go over the rules one more time, so we’re all clear and how it works:

***********

Tickets for the 2012 Big Blue Madness at Rupp Arena will be available Saturday, September 22nd at 7:00 am at the Memorial Coliseum ticket windows on Euclid Avenue and online at UKathletics.com and Ticketmaster.com. Madness, the first open practice opportunity for UK’s 2012-13 men’s and women’s basketball teams, is Friday, Oct. 12. Times and broadcast info will be released at a later date.

Tickets are free again this year, and there will be a limit of four tickets per person at Memorial Coliseum. Online orders will have a minimal service fee attached, and there will be a limit of four tickets per household.

At the request of campus public safety officials, fans wishing to line up ahead of time at Memorial Coliseum are asked to do so no earlier than 7:00 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 19th. The Athletics Department will provide portable restroom facilities, but the use of permanent, wooden-type structures; portable generators; and propane tanks or other open flames used in cooking is prohibited due to safety concerns. Alcoholic beverages or tobacco products are not permitted. Additionally, selling sports tickets in excess of face value is illegal in Kentucky.

Control cards will be issued to those camped out on Friday, Sept. 21st, beginning at 2:00 p.m. ET. Fans are encouraged to start lining up for Saturday morning’s ticket distribution between 4-5 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 22nd. All fans must be present to obtain their control cards and only one control card per person will be accepted at distribution. Control cards will not be distributed after 7:00 am on Saturday, September 22 and all persons with control cards must be in line by 7:00 am.

Fans camping out for the Big Blue Madness ticket distribution may utilize the metered parking spaces adjacent to Memorial Coliseum while they are loading and unloading their vehicles.

After unloading, campers must relocate their vehicles to the E/K overflow parking lot, located across from Commonwealth Stadium off Alumni Drive. Parking in the E/K overflow parking lot will be free. Bus service will be available to transport fans back to Memorial Coliseum. Lextran buses serve this parking lot from 7 a.m. to 6:15 p.m. From 6 p.m. to midnight, the CATS Yellow Night Route will be in service. From midnight to 5 a.m., the CATS Bus On-Demand Service may be utilized by calling (859) 221-RIDE (7233). For more information, please visit http://www.uky.edu/pts/buses-and-shuttles_campus-shuttles_yellow-night-route

Beginning at 3:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 21, the gates of Parking Structure #5 next to Kennedy’s Bookstore will be open and the structure will be available for free parking. The structure will remain open overnight; however no camping or sleeping in vehicles is permitted. Cars must be removed by 4 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 22.

***********

Good luck, campers.

Article written by Drew Franklin

16 Comments for Campers already lining up

1. mocha
    10:58 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

I give ticketmaster a .02% chance of working properly this year.

2. kel kel
    11:39 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

No life mofo’s

3. Uhmmm
    11:51 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Man it’s so stupid too be there that early. A.) its a mad dash across the street @ 7, anyones game. B) It’s raining

On another note, looks too me that half the people there are lined across from the doors?…….I wouldn’t think that’d be very smart

4. I Say
    12:03 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

Is it 5 vouchers per tent like last year?

5. I Say
    12:06 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

3 Yes. Last year before the sprint across the street one guy was raising hell about how he had gotten there two days early and was complaining about how students and other people showed up an hour before it started. Me and my crew had to quickly remind his redneckass that we pay $20,000 dollars a year to go to school here.

6. uhmmmm
    12:27 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

5.) I agree, while it sucks for the ones there, there’s really nothing wrong with it. After all it says you can begin at 7 on Wed.

I personally would’t care if people were there or not. Wherever i feel i can get too and get the best tickets is where id go regardless of how long or whose already there.

As for the vouchers, i havent heard, with 4 per person this year, id say they will be strict. It’ll prolly be dependent upon the tent you stayed in.

7. Coach Cal
    12:41 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

You guys are crazy, you know that?

8. CATS
    1:21 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

I’ve never camped out before, and want to try to a little this year. Since I’m in college, I wont be able to camp out until Friday after my classes are over which kind of sucks because I wont be able to get the whole experience, but it will still be a small taste of what it’s like to camp out. Anyway, I was wondering what the point in the control card is? do you have to have one to get BBM tickets?

9. Pete
    1:25 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

They begin giving them out at 2 PM on Friday, I do know that. Yes you have to have one come Saturday to get tickets as you line up according to what number you have.

10. BoDiazSatelliteService
    2:11 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

Go Home, you freaks!

11. Josh Roederer
    2:13 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

If you have the time and ability to camp for Madness tickets, I recommend it. It is a great atmosphere and a cool experience. Every UK fan should do it at least once.

12. Sump23
    3:05 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

Can one person get a control card receive 4 tickets or how does all that work?

13. Jared Glover
    3:33 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

So if I go get a control card after class on Friday, I get back in the same spot in line Saturday morning?

14. I Say
    3:34 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

8 Im a student and have a 9 am on wednesday, tough it out man.

15. CATS
    4:49 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

#14 – 1. I don’t go to school at UK and I play basketball at my school. So if I miss class and practice for this, my coach would kick me off the team. Therefore, I have to wait until Friday. 2. I’m a girl, not a man.

16. Kalifornia Kat
    5:20 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

Hi Guys,

From UK alumni 1965 (physics major) – old-timer.

Will be coming in from California and will be in Lexington on Oct 12th. No way I can line-up for tickets. Never been to Midnight Madness before. I would not consider it scalping if you let me tip you for a ticket. Phone is area 626-799-2628 (ask for John). Thanks everyone for your kind attention. Desperate times require desperate actions.