Calipari’s undefeated record at Rupp is no more

It took 55 games but John Calipari finally dropped one in Rupp Arena, ending the longest home winning streak in the nation. (The streak included one game at Memorial under that Billy G guy.)  The Baylor Bears came into Rupp looking for Elite Eight revenge on Saturday afternoon and they found it with a little help from an unkind Kentucky rim.  Kentucky fell to Baylor, 64-55, the second-lowest UK scoring total in the Calipari era.  The two-game losing streak is only the second time Calipari has lost back-t0-back games since being at Kentucky.  It’s been a rough stretch for Big Blue Nation, but Cal still likes his team.  He does.  He said it again on Saturday.

Let’s talk about it…

You’ll have trouble finding a shooting performance anywhere in the country as bad as the one we just witnessed in Rupp Arena.  The Cats were as cold as a cup of Orange Leaf frozen yogurt on Christmas Eve.  Kentucky went 21-for-71 from the field (29.6%), 4-for-22 on three-point attempts (18.2%) and an inexcusable 9-for-18 (50%) at the foul line.  It doesn’t get much worse than that, folks.  It really doesn’t.

Calipari said his team’s shot selection stunk. “I don’t know what you can say,” he said in the postgame press conference.  “We took some horrendous shots.”

Leading the way for Kentucky in the missed shots contest was none other than Kyle Wiltjer, the team’s lights-out shooter.  Wiltjer had yet another awful outing, missing all but one of his 11 field goal attempts.  Kyle is now 3-for-22 from beyond the arc in Kentucky’s last four games after missing a career-high eight attempts against Baylor.

After the game Calipari questioned Kyle’s decision to fire the step-back jumper late in the game.  He sarcastically said, “We shoot a step-back three… But he was on fire.  Yeah, 1-for-11.”

We can’t say it enough: Kyle Wiltjer has to hit shots or there is no reason for him to be on the court.  This slump needs to end and it needs to end soon.

The Baylor defense gave Kentucky all it could handle, especially with the zone.  The Bears stretched the floor defensively with Isaiah Austin’s length on one wing and quick, experienced guards collapsing on the ball.  Cal said the 3-2 zone caught the Cats off guard and they weren’t able to attack they way they would’ve liked.  He took some of the blame for his team’s inexperience against the 3-2.  “It confused us,” he said.

Archie Goodwin was Kentucky’s only hope against the zone.  Time after time down the court, UK passed the ball around the perimeter, looking at someone else to shoot, until Archie lowered his head and took it to the rack.  And once again, Archie was too out of control to make a difference.  He wants to take over and be the guy, the will is there, but he still doesn’t know how to close games.  He has to keep up the energy but cut back on the turnovers, costly fouls late in the shot clock, and his throw-the-ball-at-the-rim-and-hope-for-a-foul offensive attack.

Ryan Harrow played 18 minutes.  Cal, your thoughts?  “We’re happy he’s on the court but he was 1-for-9.”

Well, alright then.

Look to see more of the small lineup of Harrow, Mays, Goodwin, Poythress and Noel.  Cal really liked the way the offense looked with those five guys on the court and there is potential in the way they ran the high pick-and-roll with Harrow.  He was able to drive the lane with two shooters on the outside and a cutting Alex Poythress on the baseline, leaving options for the three, a lob, or layup with Nerlens trailing for a putback.  It seemed to work on multiple possessions late in the game but they couldn’t get a stop on the other end, unfortunately.  I think they’ll work a lot with that lineup in practice next week.

21 offensive rebounds. 8 second-chance points.  That’s what kind of day it was.  Kentucky couldn’t find a way to score from right under the basket.

Calipari talked a lot about a specific play he thinks ended Kentucky’s chances of a comeback.  It came when Nerlens Noel blocked a shot on the baseline after UK cut the lead to three, but Baylor recovered and converted an and-one after the offensive rebound.  His frustration from the play is with Alex Poythress, if I remember correctly, who stood and watched Nerlens make the block and then didn’t attempt to get the rebound.  “We have to have that ball to win the game,” Cal said of the play.  “There was no will to win.  Why did you not go get that ball?”

If Poythress made any effort to grab the rebound, UK would’ve had the ball with a chance to tie the game.  Instead, Baylor stretched it back out to six and the deficit never got back down to one possession.

Uncle Julius had another solid game and played great defense on Brady Heslip.  Mays is really UK’s only bright spot in these past three depressing days.  Why can’t he be three inches taller????

Calipari: “We’re not a very good team and we don’t have very good players right now. BUT, I still like my team. We can special or we can be what we are right now.”

Calipari: “Look, I’m fine. I’m not fazed, I knew we’re not very good. We’re not a good team right now and we’re not good individually.”

We can go watch Alabama/Georgia now.

Article written by Drew Franklin

152 Comments for Calipari’s undefeated record at Rupp is no more

1. White Castle Sliders
    4:43 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Well what happend in that 2nd half is that we just got our asses totally kicked. We couldn’t do diddly poo offensively. It was a horseshit performance…horseshit

2. Hulk
    4:46 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

How’s that harrow/mays/Goodwin point guard thing going dumbasses?

3. UK Freshmen
    4:49 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Hey, Cal? If you like your team and you have good players, but the team sucks….then don’t you suck?

4. Big Blue Mike
    4:50 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I know everyone is worried right now but wait till March. All we can do is get better.

5. Little Green Tom
    4:52 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

We cant get any worse.

6. Cretins Abound
    4:53 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#2 and 3-Go out and play in traffic. You are pathetic…

7. E
    4:53 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

3. He sucks? Cal is coming off back to back FF’s and a Title. Terrible coach. How dumb can you be?

8. Oogie
    4:54 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Folks just need to chill out and enjoy the process of watching this team grow and transform. But I don’t think most Big Blue fans roll that way.

9. Constructive or Destructive?
    4:56 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Hey #2. You are a Moron!

10. Doug
    4:59 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Folks let’s face it. What we are lacking is anyone with confidence. They all slump thei shoulders and drop their heads. We are going to take some beatdowns this year; Louisville and Florida to name two. I’ll be more worried if we are doing this crap in mid January. Hang in there. If there is a team that needs a little pick me up right now it’s this team.

11. Shigster 3
    5:00 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Lots of ky fans are ridiculous. Give this team some time. We have no starters or veterans from last year. To say Cal can’t coach is nuts! Elite 8, FF, and national championship. Give me a break.

12. Tebkats
    5:03 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Archie has become our Austin Rivers. Too much ball hogging trying to make spectaculer plays. Sure that he will eventually come around.

13. Hulk
    5:04 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#9&#6, how’s that point guard thing working out for you dumbasses?

14. Tom
    5:08 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#13 – Eh, ok. Pretty sure are all averaging less turnovers per game than Peyton Siva. Maybe if you combine all three of their TO/game, then you might get close to his numbers…

15. UKHoopshysteria
    5:08 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Look I’m a diehard fan but I don’t want to hear about waiting until March. Yes, we will progressively get better but if the improvement isn’t more rapid then we may not have a March. Right now our out of conference record and RPI stink! Things need to get better before conference play begins.

16. You are an Automaton
    5:08 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Hey Hulk, you Idiot-It will work out fine. Now, go and study your third gride primer. You are falling hopelessly behind…

17. Tom
    5:09 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

And #11 – 2/3rds of the posts on KSR anymore are just idiots, IU fans, or U of L fans trolling. It’s best to just troll right along with them, try to counter-troll them, or just not read the comments section.

18. Bobbum man
    5:09 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Fire Joker!?

19. Hulk
    5:10 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Tom, go spank your tom-tom

20. Hulk
    5:12 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#16, he he he, how’s that pnt. Guard thing working out for you dumbass?

21. Shigster3
    5:13 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Ok, Tom #17, I’ll just roll along with them

22. Billy
    5:13 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Guys I am as upset as anybody and it is very easy to point the blame at any player or particular lack of effort. However, if you take the blue glasses off and stop drinking kool-aid and stop looking at what Cal HAS done, the fact is, this team is barely top #40 in the country right now. You can get mad at that and call me a hater, but I’m not, I’m just trying to tell the tale right now. We need LOTS of help or we are looking at a second round/sweet 16 team AT BEST right now.

23. Ban the Idiot
    5:15 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Hey Hulk, or whatever you are, can’t you hear? Are you deaf as well as dumb?? It will work out fine. Now go back under your rock. We will tell you when you can come out…

24. What-What
    5:15 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Well, it is early is the one positive I guess but man, they just seem completely lost, dazed even, at the level of play. Kyle was a spot shooter and come off the bench type player last year so I’d even consider him in the group of “what the hell is going on out here”!

They’ll improve basketball wise but they have to have heart too and right now I don’t see any heart or will to win. It just seems to me when it gets tough or they get down or lose their man, they check out with a attitude of “it’s too hard”?

Gotta get their hearts in it, they have to feel it, they have to want it…so far I’ve only seen it against the cupcakes and even then they were close to giving up before opening the games up in the second half. No will to win, no pride in the jersey yet…they have to get that before success will come! They still play for themselves…not their team!

Just because it says Kentucky on the front of the jersey doesn’t mean it’s easy…you have to have the will to win.

25. UK Freshmen
    5:15 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Yea, Cal sucks this year. Winning with a loaded team last year has NOTHING to do with this year. This year’s coaching job has showed little improvement and Cal already seems out of answers. Recruiting doesn’t equate to coaching.

26. JS
    5:17 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

12 I couldn’t agree more, at this point he is my least favorite player. Lets hope he can change his attitude.

27. Billy
    5:17 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#25 you are gonna get crucified for that comment, but you are exactly right.

28. Papeles
    5:18 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I don’t like people saying this team will come around. I know our other teams have but at some they won’t. We have no inside presence, wiltjer can’t guard a mailbox, goodwin won’t pass, poythress doesn’t try, and we are softer than charmin. Easily see 10+ losses

29. Skeps
    5:18 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal needs to find other shooters besides Wiltjer. He needs to let Poythress shoot more 3s. Otherwise we’ll be facing zones every game the rest of the year.

30. Hulk
    5:20 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#23, I don’t have to hear. We are typing. You must be living under a rock. How’s that pnt. Guard thong working out dumbass?

31. Lil sleepy
    5:20 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

That loss is embarrassing. I don’t see how we stay with louisville. Not being fair weathered, but our personnel just isn’t that good. Will be a long year

32. Explain It
    5:21 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Uk Freshmen, while you are taking a break from your studies, let me be clear-Cal sucks, is that it? He is only a good recruiter correct? Who would be a better fit at UK? Waiting for your answer…

33. Amaze Pants
    5:24 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Win streaks eventually get broken so I’m not freaking out over this. Like most of us optimists say it’s about what happens in March. Now, if we’re still having this conversation in February then we have problems. Heck, we had PG problems right up to the end of the season last year (Teague being unreliable) and we all know how that turned out.

I think the difference between this year and last is that we don’t see the DRIVE. MKG was the guy who infused that drive into last year’s squad and we don’t have one this year. The only returning veteran is Wiltjer and, as much as he’s a great kid, he’s too quiet (and let’s face it — charmin soft) to be a vocal leader. The other vet is a transfer in Mays. So that’s gotta be a key difference.

On the bright side we did a good job with rebounding the ball.

34. Good Post
    5:26 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#33-That is a very good anaysis of the state of our team and comparisons to last year.

35. UK Freshmen
    5:27 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#32. I’ll take any coach that shows improvement in his team over the first seven games and has the ability to answer reasonably around questions on what should be done. There are a lot of them. And I only mean at the high school level. The emperor wears no clothes.

36. Hulk?
    5:27 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

What is a point guard thong exactly? You are scary!

37. D-cubed
    5:31 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Well that was a bad shooting performance but not as bad as that 2nd half in 1984 semi-final game where Kentucky shot 9% for the half(3 for 33) I believe it was. What a game that was. I still believe in this team. They have a lot of pure, natural talent and will pull it together in the next couple of months……..I hope.

38. Hulk
    5:32 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Right 36, your a dumbass. The key to legalizing marijuana is regulation & taxation. How’s that pnt guard shit (thong) working out for you?

39. Cotton Mash
    5:32 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

so on the live blog it was mentioned that Hood’s dad
    had something to say during the game… was that a joke?

40. Bobby's neck brace
    5:33 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Calm down people. Remember when we played a team called Duke? They are maybe the best team in the country and we could have won that game. Cal is smart, he knows what he’s doing.

41. Gbb
    5:33 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Hey Hulk, What is wrong with you? Are you 12? GROW UP!

42. Hulk
    5:35 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I really love to talk about asses. I also love to motorboat point guard’s asses. It’s a good thing KY hasn’t figured out who their main PG is yet, cause I’d have my face right up in between his cheeks.

43. Joe
    5:35 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Tough crowd…#3, 25, 35 already wants Cal gone, after losing 3 games this season.

I think’ll stick with the guy that has 1 Championship, 2 Finals, and four Final Fours, over the noted “UK Freshman”.

44. UK Freshman
    5:38 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Pay attention to me! I am an internet troll! I have nothing worthwhile to say! PAY. ATTENTION. TO. ME. How am I supposed to pleasure myself if you stop paying attention to me?

45. Goodbye
    5:40 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Whwn the going gets tough, the Hulk gets going. And we are thankful for that!

46. old_school
    5:40 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky has 12 guys dressing out on their team. Of those – five are current or former walk-ons.

This is not typical for Division I basketball teams.

This makes it incredibly difficult for Cal to simulate in practice – situations they might see in the next game. Depth is crucial – not just in the number of minutes played in actual games – but in the ability to practice and prepare.

Again – consider that number. 12 players dressing – 5 are walk-on caliber. That IS NOT typical of a Division I program.

Kentucky must recruit more depth – more 3-4 star level players. But why would a 3-4 star player come to kentucky and languish on the bench like Hood?

And speaking of Hood – everyone wants to credit Cal for developing Harrelson. I maintain that I saw talent in Harrelson during his first year. But the question is – if he gets credit for developing Harrelson – should he get blame for not developing Hood?

47. old_school
    5:41 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

My ass is still sore from Matt cutting me off on the radio and completely shutting down my point about the number of players on our team. So I’m gonna come on here and aggravate you all. Enjoy!

48. Delk for 3
    5:41 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I know everybody is upset, but I saw some positives today that were definite improvements from the other night. I saw a lot of fight on the boards with Noel and Poythress in that second half. I also saw Ryan playing a lot better although he couldn’t get anything to fall, but our team just looked a little better with him playing point in that second half. This team had more alley-oops today than they’ve had all season and that is a definite positive. We flat-out just have to work together to get better shots and our guys have to move the ball better. If we hit free throws we have a great chance to win today. All that stated, we aren’t all that good this season but this team is slowly improving to where they will be a competitive bunch. It’s tough to see them lose but hang in there and support these guys. They are young, down on themselves, and need us to root them on. They will get better and will be a team we can be proud of. I’m very confident of that.

49. old_school
    5:43 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Guys, clearly it’s typical that we should recruit better players. This is the NBA afterall. We should be able to put our reserves in, just like the San Antonio Spurs did against the Heat, and almost win. Cal was clearly a one and done at Coach College, and he needs to go back so he can teach these freshman to play like fifth year seniors.

50. old_school
    5:46 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

47 – No – Matt as wrong with his facts. He stated that UK is no different than most other teams in their makeup

I challenge you to look at the bench. 12 player – five of whom are forme or curret walk-ons. Can you tell me another major Division I caliber program that takes the court on game day wit only 7 non-walk on plyers on the roser? Be honest.

51. kentuckyrules
    5:49 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Glad all the negative-Nancy’s got their crystal ball out for March. Old_school: I do agree with you about the bench talent. As of late, 5-6 guys are top dog, but I would bet that the walk-ons wouldn’t make any other D1 team (Malone, etc). But why are they there? What good do they serve? I have seen other schools “only-play-when-up-by-60” players as well, and usually the next year or two, they are the star on the team.

You make a very valid point, and I tend to agree. If the stars are all having an off night, I would hope there is a 7-8th man to step up, give a spark. 😐

52. The Emperor Wears No Clothes
    5:54 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Tru dat.

53. Hulk
    5:58 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#42, did I piss you off so bad that you try and be me? To quote cal,”quit crying you big baby!”

54. smoke and mirrors
    5:59 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I caouldn’t agree more,if wiltjer isn’t making shots,sit him down!!! HE CAN NOT GUARD ANYONE AND CAN’T REBOUND!!!! His only way to help is make shots,and he isn’t making crap. This team isn’t very good,but lot’s of cupcakes coming up.

55. old_school
    6:02 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I make up my own facts and history to support my irrational, unfounded hatred of Coach Cal. I claim that this team has 5 walk on or former walk on players, when it actually has four. I also ignore the fact that Jarrod Polson could have had a scholarship at any number of prominent D1 schools, but chose to walk on at Kentucky because it was his childhood dream.

I also completely ignore facts, such as other top teams, including Ohio State, Duke, etc. only play 7-8 players, mainly because the other guys are just there to fill in the bench and help out in practice. Looking at a simple box score would tell me that, but I don’t HAVE TIME for your pitiful box scores. I have to get on KSR and troll until it HURTS.

And this team would be so much better if they’d stop listening to rap music and get their heads in the game with some Eddie Rabbit.

56. Hulk
    6:03 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Now I’m talking to myself! Hulk mad! Hulk want more men’s asses!

57. Richard Hedd
    6:04 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Our fans are embarrassing

58. old_school
    6:07 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#57 – I know, that’s why they need to listen to my ramblings and get rid of a winner like Cal and hire a washed up old has-been who’ll recruit nothing but mediocre 4 year players, so we can go back to playing in the NIT. Then when UNC comes to town with some hot shot freshman and we beat them once in 20 years, you ingrates in the student section can rush the court! Now wouldn’t that be fun?

59. fur eel
    6:08 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I wish KSR would reinvest some profits into the website and modernize the antiquated comment section.

60. ida
    6:13 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

This team is going to get better! Can’t get any worse. NIT host site

61. Dylan
    6:16 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I personally think we can take a huge positive from this game, being Ryan Harrow. Although he went 1-9 shooting, he is the most technically sound and true player to run the point for UK (and he won’t go 1-9 every night). When he was confident he looked to be the missing piece of the puzzle that is this 2012-13 UK basketball team. In my opinion the future lies with Harow, Archie (under control), Poythress (more aggressive), Nerlens (under control), with Mays and WCS rotating for bigger/smaller lineups. This team has so much potential. And I like the tough games early on… Needless to say we should all be excited come Madness time.

62. Tommy
    6:16 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Be positive! This is a great time in UK history. Enjoy it! No one wIns every game

63. theSkinny81
    6:21 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

53 – ….says the loser who trolls continuously for hours on another teams site under the handle of a comic book character. if that’s not pathetically juvenile, i don’t know what is……

64. UK Freshmen
    6:22 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#62. If we could only get the Barnum & Bailey circus clowns to be aggressive and to shoot 3s, they’d be a great basketball team. I believe.

65. ONE EYE
    6:24 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

What did I miss??

66. Rae
    6:25 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

50. Cal’s system depends a lot on personality. If the high level talent is willing to put in the hustle and effort and brain energy, they can do very well. But if you get high talent like Austin Rivers who is focused on himself (I don’t want to be too soon to put Goodwin in this category) they just don’t click. Cal is a good coach who got a bunch of pretty pieces that don’t quite click together, like getting a bunch of pieces from different beautiful puzzles mixed together. So I still maintain that Cal’s system can work, if the guys understand what they are getting into. I do hope that WCS or Willis turn into what you are talking about. We really only need one guy like that.

Every good coach has years where the team just isn’t good. Kansas has a history of tourney flameouts. UNC didn’t make they tourney in I believe 2010. Duke lost to Lehigh last year. Pitino lost to Morehead State. Down years happen, and for Cal that will be when the talent in the recruiting class isn’t as high as in other years.

67. Buckets
    6:27 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Hah, I see the old_fool is coming out from under his rock to continue making a fool of himself after he got smacked down on the radio show.

Ignore. All. Trolls.

68. old_school
    6:27 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

51- Thanks for comprehending my argument. I think the facts speak for themselves. Again – look at the roster – only 7 guys on the UK team who are not current or former walk-ons.

I really doubt any other major Div. 1 program has such a shallow bench than UK. Indiana regularly has 9-10 guys who log double-digit minutes.

Not only does the depth help on game day – it can be even more beneficial in practice.

Archie Goodwin goes upgainst Polson or Sam Malone in practice, then has to face Peirce Jackson in a game. That’s quite a leap.

69. Can't tell some people
    6:34 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

TEMPER…….TEMPER………TEMPER your expectations. Jeebus. This is not a championship team of any kind. Not SEC/Not NCAA/ Not NIT…maybe CBA.

Without the point guard this system will not win big. Period. That’s why getting the twins next year was so huge. That title last year ruined it for this season.

I’m getting so that I hate UK fans. You guys are unbearable.

70. Blue Jesus
    6:36 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

“Mays is really UK’s only bright spot in these past three depressing days.”

I would say Noel has been a bright spot as well. His consistent work ethic is refreshing, and even though he wasn’t making shots today, he didn’t give up and he kept competing. He had 16(!) rebounds today, and was very good defensively.

71. BluesClues
    6:37 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I’d like to report a crime of assault on that picture, how abou a foul you fat golden flaked ass Ref’s. If the Ref’s were any sense of a man I’d punch them all in the face

72. HoptownsBeast
    6:38 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Everythings cool. Worry later if they dont improve late Dec. If they dont they wont all be drafted and you will have returning players on next years team which seems to be want so many people want.

73. old_school
    6:40 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

69 – This years freshmen have not panned out like everyone thought they would yet. KEY WORD – YET. Plenty of time to go this season.

But as of now – Goodwin has a case of Edgarsosaitus. Noel is far from being the second coming of Anthony Davis and Poythress’s motor has maybe half the horsepower of MKG.

It’s dangerous to put all your hope in 18-year-kids – and this season should teach us a lesson.

And the key to last season was the return of three starting-caliber players in Lamb, Jones and Miller. This year – we have no such experience.

If this year’s freshmen do not jump to NBA – how many stay for second year where playing time would have to be shared with the next batch? How many expected recruits may ask for a release or choose another school based on the return of this year’s freshmen?

74. Old school's math tutor
    6:41 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Noel
    Wiltjer
    Cauley
    Goodwin
    Mays
    Poythress
    Harrow
    Hood

I believe that’s 8 players that are not walk ons, not 7.

75. old_school
    6:46 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#74 – What, you expect me to take time out from trolling to COUNT!? Now why would I bother to fact-check anything I say? That’s just ridiculous.

76. MANIA
    6:47 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Honestly, UofL has won a lot of games shooting the way UK did today.

I ran the comments through my patented frequency generator.

52.5% of the post mention IU/tom crean/cody zeller
    31.7% mention Rick pitino
    79.8% mention the NBA draft lottery
    88.3% talk to trolls

But here’s the problem:

1.2% mention that Harrow as a PG will get UK nowhere
    3.4% understand that Kyle Wiltjer is only slightly better than worthless on the court

77. old_school
    6:48 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I stand corrected. Now can you name another Div. I program than has only eight non-walk-on players?

Most teams have enough scholarship-quality players to at least hold an intrasquad scrimmage. UK does not.

78. Laettner's bankruptcy lawyer
    6:49 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Louisville will be our measuring stick. Cal can get these boys rolling by then.

79. MANIA
    6:50 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Old School is realizing the problems of the Cal System when the top talent is not really talent.

80. old_school
    6:50 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

To be honest – I probably was not counting Harrow since he’s dressed out for less than half the games yet – but tehcnically – you are correct. However, again – I challenge you to name another Div. I program with only 8 non-scholarshp players on the squad. (Yes – technically Polson and Long are on scholarship – but we all know that’s a temporary situation)

81. Thank goodness
    6:51 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

It could be worse . . At least we play in the PISS POOR SECand not in the Big East or ACC . . . We wouldn’t make the tourney in March in either of those leagues. . . The SEC is just PITIFUL!!!

82. MANIA
    6:53 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

No Gorgui, UK should be favored by 1 point. Don’t blow it Cal, or UK will fire you.

83. old_school
    6:59 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I challenge anyone to go out and find contradictory evidence to an obscure fact that I just slipped out of my gooch! Go! All of you! Waste your time to prove me wrong, which I most certainly am! I’m too busy watching Honey Boo Boo and arguing with Imaginary Matt Jones to do it myself.

84. OLD SCHOOL IS A FOOL
    7:00 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Polson is not a walk on. Not this year he’s not.

Polson also had a full ride offer from Liberty, which is D1.

85. SHUT UP DOUCHE
    7:03 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Is there a way to block old school from this site?? I sure hope so! It’s the old ass idiots such as yourself that make the BBN look bad! This is not the Chuck Taylors, short shorts and stripe socks era. Am I the only one who has the feeling that old school is Bobby Knight? Cause it sure sounds like that old FAG!

86. UCLA
    7:06 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

UCLA has 8 scholarship players left. Just did it

87. Truth Because Calipari cant win games without guys that could already be NBA All-Stars on his roster...that would require actually coaching, and he can't do that.
    7:07 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Calipari cant win games without guys that could already be NBA All-Stars on his roster…that would require actually coaching, and he can’t do that. See 4 NIT’s at Memphis before Wes delivered him players and before all the god teams left CUSA.

88. kentuckyjoe
    7:08 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Folks, we’ve got a final four team. When Harrow gets fully installed at the point there is going to be no stopping us. He played well today, very well. His defense was good. His leadership was good. The ball wasn’t going in for him but it will. Cal will get this whole thing figured out in another few games and then it’s gonna be very hard for anyone that has to deal with us.

89. SHUT UP DOUCHE
    7:11 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Old school will you please log on to Indiana Sports Radio and suck of Tom Crean??

90. RealCatsFan
    7:16 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I was at the game today, and the thing that stood out to me is that as poorly as UK shot, they were still in contention to win the game. But they could not buy a basket. If I had a dollar for every shot that went halfway down the cylinder and rimmed out, I could be drinking the good beer tonight instead of the cheap stuff. For a young team to see so many shots rim out like that, it has to be deflating. But one big area of improvement over the ND game is that they did not give up – they kept fighting through it. There were several times down the stretch when UK would claw back to within 4 points, with a chance to make it a one position game, and then another shot would rim out. Then Baylor would stretch it back out to 7 or 8 points, but UK clawed back again. If a few of those shots fell, we may be talking about a victory instead.

That being said, this team has a long way to go before they are ready to make a run at UL on their home floor. Don’t know if they will get there, either, but I saw encouraging signs, as others pointed out. Harrow looked much better – remember, he has only really played a couple of games with this squad. I think Cal is finally getting dialed in on a combination that can make the offense flow better – Harrow, Mays, Goodwin, Noel and Poythress. Look for this to be the starting lineup for the next few games. I am sure they will be spending a LOT of practice time working on playing against a zone defense. As far as “will to win” – a lot of that has to do with the youth of the team. They are spending a LOT of their energy figuring out where to be on the court and getting used to each other. I think their confidence will improve greatly over the next couple games against lesser competition, and the “will to win” will follow with that confidence. They have had a pretty tough stretch of games so early in the year for such a young team. They will get better as the year goes on. Patience, fellow fans.

91. Reality
    7:16 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

# 89 likes gay, oral sex.

92. MANIA
    7:16 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

What’s Tom Crean got to do with it? Bobby Knight? FAG?

Weak Sauce Trash Blog

93. Kentucky 2011
    7:19 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#87 Cal went to the final four with no NBA all-stars on his team when Brandon Knight, Terrance Jones and Doron Lamb were freshman. Both Terrance and Doron came back for another year. Only one player (Knight) was drafted in the first round off that team, not including Kanter. Cal has yet to have an NBA All Star since he has been at Kentucky. You are retarded. Cal can coach. Period.

The rest of you have some faith and support your team. Hell Cal gave us a National Championship and pulled Kentucky from obscurity in the college basketball world. He has a National Championship caliber recruiting class coming in next year. Cut him some slack and enjoy some college basketball. Things will turn around.

94. David Banner
    7:22 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Will someone tell my ignorant alter ego to go back over to Card Chronicle and help the other flat bills celebrate their big home victory over a mediocre team that will not make the tourney? BTW, that was a nice foul that Chane “The Lip” Behanan laid on the three point shot for the tie, which conveniently was missed by the ref’s. Point blank. Period.

95. Hulk
    7:23 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I chose this moniker because that is the kind of underwear I am wearing – my mommy picked them out for me last week. Oh yeah, yellow spot goes in front, brown spot goes in back – that helps me remember.

96. Teddy Bridgewater
    7:24 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

What BCS bowl are you Goober Pyle’s going to this year?

97. Wow
    7:26 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Wow. There are many of you on this post that make me embarrassed to be a UK. Freshmen, you are whacked, anyone who says Cal cannot coach is double whacked. Cal said this team was going to take a while and in a week he will have them every day for all day. They will get better, much better. Stop freaking out! We are still on the top of the mountain!

98. Coach Cal
    7:27 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I apologize for bringing a November team to a December game.

99. Coach Cal
    7:29 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I apologize to the UK fan base for showing up Ryan Harrow on All-Access so that he nearly quit the team. It is clear to me now that Archie Goodwin is not a true point guard due to his erratic drives to the basket. I will now begin to coach Ryan so that there is actually a floor leader on the court.

I am now realizing that you do need a bench not only to support the team when further talent is needed, but to enable to use the bench as a coaching tool for the players who assume they will start based upon their reputation.

Only one player should go pro, Nerlens Noel. Alex Poythress is athetic but does not compete at a high enough level to earn a draft slot. Archie Goodwin appears to be an incredible slasher but has no business leading a team as a point guard. Willie Cauley-Stein is a raw basketball player with much to learn about the game. Kyle Wiltjer needs to work with the trainer to get his feet faster.

100. Clint Hurtt
    7:32 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#96, Teddy, did you get that extra three stacks that I sent to you to come up to Louisville with me instead of Miami? That’s a lot of one’s for all the strippers we have waiting for you after the game.

101. mudcreekmark
    7:32 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

old_school is actually making a good point about our roster this year. This year is not a typical year though. Next year we will have Wiltjer, Hood, WCS, Harrow, and maybe a couple other freshmen from this years class coming back. Every year is not got to be like last year where you loose your top 6 players. I have made the point on here several times, the practices can’t be competitive. We have 13 players and 9 are guards with 3 of them being walkons. A typical scrimmage would be something like this:
    WCS guarding Noel
    Jon Hood guarding Poythress
    Twany Beckham guarding Wiltjer
    Harrow guarding Goodwin
    Polson guarding Mays

How could those be competitive games with so many mismatches? How can our freshmen improve with no competition to play against in practice? Other than the WCS-Noel matchup I’d say the other 3 are pretty weak mathups.

102. Coach Cow
    7:32 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Anyone think my massive blubber belly has anything to do with my inept coaching? I’m going to bring in 9 NBA players next year, so I can pretend to be a good coach.

103. Lcat
    7:34 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Dear #9, I believe #s 1,2,3 25,27 and “old school” are also morons. I believe a moron is defined as someone with less than a 70 IQ. These guys have got to qualify-they might even be idiots. I believe that idiots have less less than a 50 IQ. Is there a way to ban these morons or idiots from the blog? They are probably IU or Lville fans anyway which accounts for the low IQs. Probably AG majors that screw pigs (the ones that oink). I believe Tom Crean began his career coaching basketball with chickens in a Vegas casino side act.

104. SEC
    7:35 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

UGA is leading Bama by 3 late in the 4th quarter. Really hoping for Bama to win the game, as they have the best chance to knock off ND and keep my domination of the national championship complete.

105. Cal for POTUS
    7:36 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Every one quit your damn whinning. This is a bye product of the one and done players. The last couple years it worked like a charm. This year our class didn’t have the overall talent the last 3 did. That’s ok I’ll take a elite 8, FF ,and a NC for one so-so year. This team will be good as time goes on but it is missing the it factor that the last teams have had. I don’t think that is something Cal can coach either you have it or you don’t.

106. SEC
    7:37 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Bama scores!

107. KY Realist
    7:37 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

104) You sound like a typical UK football fan. Keep living off the sweat of the real teams in your league and keep cashing those welfare checks.

108. Baylor ????
    7:37 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Baylor??? How can Cal call Baylor a Good team when they’ve been beaten by COLORADO and ST. JOSEPHs??? Geeez, give the fans SOME credit Cal!! Baylor SUCKS and so does UK right now!

109. RealCatsFan
    7:39 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

101, so what kind of matchups did they have for last years’ scrimmages? The only season when they really had a deep bench was 2010. It would be nice to have a deeper bench, but as they say, only 5 are on the court at a time.

110. KY Realist
    7:39 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Scott Drew plays a middle school zone and could not coach if his life depended on it.

111. Charlie Strong
    7:40 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Now when my un-ranked team loses this BCS bowl that we shouldn’t even be in and I abandon ship to coach at Auburn, will these hood-rats put down the chicken bucket full of crack and congratulate me on my promotion? Or will they run me out of town with a flaming piece of extra crispy recipe?

112. SEC
    7:41 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Look for Kirby Smart to see some big head coaching offers rolling in after this game.

113. L
    7:42 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Just tweeted, Coach Cal is not attending the Hoops Fest game tonight, after all. Wonder why?

114. RealCatsFan
    7:43 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

108, so what was UL’s excuse for requiring some home cooking by the ref’s to rescue them from going down to Southern Illinois? Oh, that’s right, another injury.

115. Coach Cal
    7:44 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

113) I’m hungry. Have not fed my belly in over 45 minutes.

116. old_school
    7:44 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#113 – He’s too busy reading my brilliant posts on KSR and basking in all of my coaching wisdom, which I have earned through years of inexperience.

117. Rick Pitino
    7:45 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Coach Cal didn’t go to Hoop Fest? Give me 15 seconds and I’ll be there.

118. L
    7:46 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I think I want Georgia to win, probably won’t but I would like to see Mark win.

119. RealCatsFan
    7:47 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

111, Card fans are doing a ceremonial prayer dance around their chicken buckets that Charlie will not bail on them. With all of the openings this year, the pickings for a replacement will be slim.

120. Reality Check
    7:47 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

114) Makes up for the Sparks walk.

121. L
    7:47 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Well, that’s that.

122. Tom Crean's Hair Part
    7:49 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I was at the Hoop Fest earlier, and I have been thinking about Andrew Wiggins a lot. A WHOLE LOT.

#creepycrean

123. DirtyDutchMantel
    7:50 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

119) I’m hearing Jurich will bring back Bobby if Strong leaves. Petrino owns a home in louisville and they live there now. Also, he has two kids that go to uofl, one is on the golf team. so, I personally hope Strong stays. don’t want to have to play petrino again.

124. Rick Pitino
    7:51 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Hey #122, I’ve got 15 seconds free… let’s “text.”

125. Tom Crean
    7:52 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Hey hillbillies, did Billy Clyde coach that game today? Is he back?

126. Mitch Barnhart
    7:53 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#119 – And if Strong does leave after the bowl game, then U of L will be the slow kid in last place trying to find an available coach to fill the vacancy. Fortunately, that’s a position they’re familiar with.

127. Mitch Barnhart
    7:55 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#125 – Tom Crean was doing GREAT before he managed to lure Sloth Zeller to the program, wasn’t he? Oh wait, you meth heads were calling for him to be fired…

128. L
    7:55 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Hey Tom Crean,go fix you hair. It is weird.

129. UKShawn
    7:56 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Jody Demling said Jurich still speak. Also, Eric Crawford (writer for WDRB in louisville) said on the radio the other day that if Strong leaves, petrino will likely be the guy uofl targets.

130. UKShawn
    7:57 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

129) that is jurich and petrino still talk to each other.

131. mudcreekmark
    7:58 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

109)
    Eloy Vargas guards Anthony Davis
    Darius Miller guards MKG
    Wiltjer guards Terrence Jones
    Ryan Harrow guards Teague
    Twany Beckhham guards Lamb

Not near the size differences that this years practices have.If our players wanted too all they would have to do is post up every time down the floor.

132. SEC
    8:00 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Wow, what a run by UGA.

133. Bill Self
    8:01 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Ran out of time – I hate when that happens.

134. Katdaddy
    8:02 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

These pieces don’t look good to me, they don’t just look like freshmen to me. They look way overrated. Poythress, wiltjer got to be the laziest two cats since R morris. Archie looks bad because he’s playing out of position, cal dropped the ball on harrow. He’s not what cal thought he would be. We don’t have one solid player right now. This team will do good to make the tournament.

135. Chicken Little
    8:06 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

…and the sky is falling.

136. Culver
    8:22 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I think the comparison of Austin Rivers and Goodwin are valid…both are all about themselves. Just look at today’s game…how many times Goodwin, instead of passing the ball off to a wide-open teammate, through up some circus shot. Yeah he got away with that crap at the high school level, and against a few cupcakes earlier in this season, but against solid competition he’s going to hurt this TEAM a lot more than help with that street ball crap. But if there is a NCAA record for the most shots off the shot clock during the season, I believe Goodwin would have a good chance of shattering that record this year!

137. RaleighCat
    8:24 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#134 you make some good points. This squad has ZERO basketball IQ. None. Offense & Defense need dramatic basic improvements.

I really feel they all expected to walk in and be as good as last year. WCS said as much today. Guess what boys- you are not last year’s team. Not even close. Time to suck it up and let Cal teach you how to play. You boys don’t know squat.

138. Strong or Petrino
    8:30 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Strong and Petrino both OWNED papaw Brooks and The Joke . . . .UK needs to join the SunBelt where they can compe…..wait a minute….. I forgot about WESTERN KY!!! Hahahahaaaa! Does the SEC PLAY college Basketball???? Did they just get EMBARRASSED in the BE vs SEC Challenge?? Count your blessings UK fans that you play in a [email protected] basketball conference cuz you wouldn’t do JACK in the BE or ACC!!! BAYLOR???? Hahahaaaaaaa!!!!

139. Claw
    8:30 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Won’t waste another minute watching this team. No heart. Don’t even know the fundamentals.

140. katzrjamers
    8:32 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

there is only one streak that matters, and it doesn’t happen in november or december or february. remember when we won six in a row last spring?

2012 NCAA Tournament

1) Mar. 15, 2012 6:50 vs. (16) WKU #1 (1) KFC Yum! Center – Louisville, KY – W 81—66

2) Mar. 17, 2012 7:45 vs. (8) Iowa State #1 (1) KFC Yum! Center – Louisville, KY – W 87—71

3) Mar. 23, 2012 9:45 vs. #16 (4) Indiana #1 (1) Georgia Dome – Atlanta, GA – W 102—90

4) Mar. 25, 2012 2:20 vs. #9 (3) Baylor #1 (1) Georgia Dome – Atlanta, GA – W 82—70

5) Mar. 31, 2012 6:09 vs. #17 (W4) Louisville #1 (S1) Mercedes-Benz Superdome – New Orleans, LA – W 69-61

6) April 2, 2012 9:23 vs. #6 (MW2) Kansas #1 (S1) Mercedes-Benz Superdome – New Orleans, LA – W 67-59

141. Lance A. Boil
    8:41 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Why does Hood or Beckham not even get a chance when Wiltjer cant throw a ball in the ocean?

142. Illinois St.
    8:42 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#138 – But we play some FIERCE basketball in the MVC, right? Maybe when the ACC collapses, Louisville can slum over the MVC since that seems to be where they belong.

143. Rick Pitino
    8:44 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

It’s a good thing I spent 15 seconds with those refs before the game today, cause they sure bailed us out there at the end.

144. BAYLOR
    8:49 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

We loved slappin’ you BEOTCHHHHS!!! And we SUCK!!!

145. The MVC
    8:53 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

#142 – No thanks, we don’t want that kind of trash in our conference. We have standards.

146. Cat's Fan
    9:30 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

Is it football season yet? GBB!!!

147. The Assman
    9:32 pm December 1, 2012 Permalink

I don’t understand why he doesn’t post Poythress down low. I don’t think most teams could stop him once he gets the ball near the basketball. Maybe all of these freshmen won’t be going pro this year and will be around to add some depth to next year’s group.

148. WARNING To All UL and IU FANS
    3:00 am December 2, 2012 Permalink

SURGEON GENERAL WARNING TO ALL UL AND IU FANS!

When watching UK games please look away when championship banners are shown on your tv screen.
    You have not been exposed to that magnitude of winning, therefore exposure to eight championship banners will cause you to have a sudden and severe case of the sh**s!!

Other side effects may include dry mouth, increased blood pressure, severe rash and a sudden urge to urinate.
    Upon prolonged exposure to eight championship banners, there have been reported instances of some UL and IU fans fantasizing to the point of an erec**on.
    Should your erect**n last for more than four hours, please consult Rick Petino or Tom Crean and they will arrange a bimbo for you.

149. richard
    5:40 am December 2, 2012 Permalink

First let me say, I love coach Cal and I think he is a great coach! I am a former college professor and believe me many college freshmen are not ready for the UK basketball stage. That is very normal and nothing negative about the players. However, I do believe that Cal has a team that he cannot yell, stomp and go nuts on the sidelines at them during a game. I believe it is really bothering Goodwin and Poytress. UK had a lot of really good looks at the basket yesterday and if they had just hit 5% more and done better from the fouline, it would have been a 10 point win for them but when you being yelled at all the time it is not easy to concentrate. Lighten up Cal and realize the mentally toughness of this team, no one likes to be yelled at in from of 23,000 UK fans and on national TV. Oh, also, take the PG leadership out of Goodwin’s hand and let him be the scorer. I appeared that we have out PG back. I stronly believe this team is very talented but Call is not using the right coaching approach during the game! Go CATS, you are #1 in my heart!

150. Jerry Tiptons Air Biscuit
    8:06 am December 2, 2012 Permalink

Cal has proven he is a failure. He cannot coach freshmen and help them improve as the year goes on. He has had this team for a few months, and they have lost 3 games. Pathetic. Time for Barnhart to begin reaching out to Rick Pitinos people and see if he will coach the team for the rest of this year.At least his senior, experienced team could beat N. Ill by 3 on their home court.

151. TRUBLUCAT
    9:45 am December 2, 2012 Permalink

ARCHIE is OUT OF CONTROL….reminds me of Russ Smith. Crazy drives to the basket splitting all 5 defenders and throwing a wishful thinking shot up for it to only not hit the goal at all or go over the backboard. It amazes me how Cal will leave him in after doing that 3 possessions in a row. Dude has to realize that there is other good talent on the court and he needs to look for them. If he doesn’t change that selfishness, this team will loose 10+ games.SMH

152. UofLpostersite
    10:33 am December 2, 2012 Permalink

does u of l have a site? there are more UofL fans posing as UofK fans on here you would think they dont have a team of there own