Calipari’s Press Conference Notes

Calipari on watching last year’s Transylvania game tape:

“The thing that hit me in the face is, ‘that team won the national title?’ Man, we must really roll out balls. That team that I saw right there won the national title? Anthony Davis was the No. 1 pick, Olympic gold medalist and getting 20 a game in the NBA. He couldn’t score on Transylvania, could not get it in the basket. … I mean it was — we won the national title, and that was our first or second outing, which was kind of crazy”

Calipari on setting up the Sandy Telethon:

“We’re going to do it Wednesday. We’ll do it for an hour. The phone banks will be open for 24 hours. We’ve got some great ideas of things to either bid on or you give this amount of money, we have some different things. When we did it with Haiti, we had 70,000 calls came in. They couldn’t take them all; 2,000 got answered. We’re going to hope to have it so whoever calls in, that phone will be answered somewhere. We have matching funds. Right now — I don’t want to give you the total number – but it’s well into six figures that we have together.”

Calipari on the focus with the telethon and the opener against Maryland getting closer:

“If we’re able to do something and to raise a ton of money for these people and these victims, you have to do it. It’s not an option of, ‘Well, you’ve got a game Friday against Maryland and isn’t that a big …’ Yeah, it’s big. I know it is. But I think what we’re doing here is bigger. And what we’re doing is letting our players understand it’s bigger.”

Calipari on who he is hardest on in practice:

“I just really go after a guy to see how he responds. I asked them the other day, ‘Who have I been the toughest on? Raise your hand.’ And five of them raised their hand. So well, ‘No, I’m saying the absolute toughest.’ The five of them believe it’s them. See, they only see how you’re coaching them. They don’t see how you’re coaching anybody else. I’m not mean about it. I keep saying, ‘If you can’t take me — you know I care about you. You know there’s no question that I care about you. If you can’t take me, how in the world are you going to take the people we play?’ ”

Calipari on if he coaches point guards more:

“Yeah, it’s a hard position to play. Also, defense starts with that position because he’s guarding the ball most cases. Now, all the sudden you’re in the eye of the storm 70 percent of practice, so obviously you’re going to get coached more than the other guys.”

Article written by Will Totten

Born in Indiana and raised in Louisville, I am the unlikeliest UK fan.

16 Comments for Calipari’s Press Conference Notes

1. new coach
    3:38 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Could u guys be slower on the new coach story, just follow Barnhart on twitter, he just released a letter

2. SexnNursinHomes
    7:05 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

I know it’s unrealistic. But I hope UK forces Cal to stay, even if it means Cal has to recruit from an IV bag at 85 yrs of age. We’ll be at about 35 championships ahead at the point over UCLA. Which means that Cal has padded the overall greatness of UK basketball, so when I die from AIDS, at least I know UK will be two decades in the lead over UCLA. and if the world blows up, atleast UK would be #1. I’d love bragging rights as I die, prolly mutter the shit on my last breath. That and Old School being a racist.

3. Obamasucks
    7:05 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

the better news is we get to vote the idiot out in two days. Worse president than Carter, which is hard to do.

4. Bulldawg
    7:07 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Coach Cal knows how to get his players to understand that in order to sculpt a masterpiece, you gotta chip away at the the stone. The ones that “get it” succeed. period. Ask Jorts if you don’t believe me. Coach Cal was definitely harder on him than any other player that I have heard.

5. True Story
    7:14 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

ug… Cal, #BBN’s pockets are not going to be able to fund your PR crusades forever.

6. Political Efficacy
    7:15 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

#5-Your political acumen is unsurpassed…

7. BCO
    7:33 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

7 – unbelievable. b*tching about our coach trying to help raise money for hurrican victims? are you serious?

8. Blue Jesus
    7:35 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

I say football should just go ahead and hire the best special teams coach in the country, that way we can maintain our status as Kicker U!

9. old_school
    7:43 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

sure, Calipari does all these great things like raise money for great causes but what is really important is rap music. yep, rap music. who cares if the guy can coach these kids to a national championship, help them come back and get a degree, help them make millions in the pros…whats really important is rap music…

10. He Didn't Say That Did He?
    7:49 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

#7-Are you serious? You are beyond help.

11. Troll Alert
    7:58 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Man the trolls are out in full force tonight. It must really suck in their world……sitting around in your underwear, in mom’s basement, with Cheeto stained fingers. Please…..get a life!

12. True Story
    9:42 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

rofl, g’head zombies. Reach into your pockets again and watch Cal take the credit for it… again.

13. True Story
    9:43 pm November 4, 2012 Permalink

Three Words: American Red Cross. Just sayin’.

14. True Story
    7:08 am November 5, 2012 Permalink

You may know me by my other handle…old_school…im too full of anger and hate for one name…