Calipari was very Calipari in today’s presser

Sunday is a day-off for college basketball fans, but at the NCAA tournament, the coaches, players, and media never stop. Cal and his guys were available again today and Coach Cal was very Coach Cal when answering his questions in the press conference.

I don’t have the exact quotes but it went a little like this:

“We are everybody’s Super Bowl.”

“Anthony Davis, he grew from 6’3 to 6’10 in one year. He’s telling me, ‘Coach, I want to play point guard.'”

“I don’t like the one-and-done rule. It’s not my rule. I’m just going to recruit the best players and if they’re ready at the end of the season, they’ll go.”

“Steve Jobs and Bill Gates left college early and they changed the world.”

“We have the highest grade point average in the SEC.”

“I love my team.”

“We’re playing a basketball game.”

“I just try to get these guys to play their best. If that’s not good enough, we live with it.”

The players just scattered for their breakout interviews and Coach Cal is sticking around on stage for more questions.

We’ll have more in just a bit.

Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

17 Comments for Calipari was very Calipari in today’s presser

1. GoCats2
    1:42 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

You could have put these quotes up before the presser started and they would not have changed.

2. listentome!
    1:47 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Also, “Are you interested in returning to the NBA?”

“I have the best job in basketball.”

3. 96cats98
    1:49 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Will the be showing the game on campus tomorrow night? Memorial maybe? Will it be open to the public or students only?

4. listentome!
    1:57 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Damn, I love Cal. He’s nailing it on the 1 and 1 question.

5. listentome!
    1:57 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

1 and Done, that is.

6. WKY Dude
    2:04 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

We’re giving Cal grief for giving the same answers, could it just be that the media is asking the same questions?

7. Ridge Runner
    2:08 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

6…that my friend is “insight”. nice.

8. HillbillyInBC
    2:13 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

You would need 20×20 cards to play Calipari Bingo. With a normal 5×5 card the game would end in 15 seconds (add your own Pitino joke here).

9. Whooptie Doo
    2:16 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Since when does ANY coach try not to recruit the best players available? EVERYone NEEDS TO SHUT UP about one and done..so if they had to stay all 4 would you recruit only projects?…so tired of this crap…like that dumbass who wrote the article how “he thought Cal and KY were ruining the college game” BULLSHIT! GET YOUR COLLECTIVE HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASSES! I’ve really had it with that crap!

10. Brink
    2:21 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

9. Amen, John Wooden only paid the best of the best for over a decade to go on a run that will never be duplicated, but Cal is ruining the game??

11. hole
    2:35 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

All the haters are gonna cling to this notion that Cal is dirty, and even if you win it, itll be vacated…Theyll cling to that sh*t til theyre taking a dirt nap..I for one am sick of hearing it..Doubt there is any coach who is scrutinized as much as Cal by both the media and the NCAA..Look idiots they got nothing on him, if they did we’d know about so F*ck every last one of you..

12. Brink
    2:49 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

11 all he has to do is win tomorrow and it all goes away. Cause the NCAA does not penalize National Champion coaches See Rat face and Calhoun

13. Indiana Cat Fan
    2:57 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

Once the clearing house clears a player, they shouldn’t be able to go back years later anyway! That’s what happen to Rose, NCAA came back after the fact.

14. UK's Freshmen
    3:13 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

It is not thr grade point, its the type of classes and degrees one pursues. Canard.

15. catfan
    5:02 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

14 Good word. Canard.

16. Sully
    6:56 pm April 1, 2012 Permalink

This will never happen–for one thing, we may well not win tomorrow night (though I believe we will). But for several weeks, I have dreamed of UK winning and, while Jim Nantz or whoever interviews players, someone like Anthony Davis or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist or Darius Miller takes the mike and says something like the following:

“I want to say something. All of us can read, and all of us see what is said about our coach, and all of us hear what is said about him. To the Bob Knights and Rick Telanders and all those like them, we, all of us players, say you are unfair, and you are wrong. Coach Cal is a great coach, and a greater man. You don’t know him, haven’t bothered to get to know him, and you don’t truly know anything about him. And, you don’t know us. It’s time you either learned the truth about Coach and recognize him fairly, or simply keep your mouths shut. Because we love this man, and what he has done for us.”

Won’t happen; too much to ask of any kid. But I would purely love to see it.

17. redandyz
    1:45 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Wow, only took 16 comments to start on Bob Knight. Who, by the way, compared Anthony Davis to Bill Russell – one of the most dominating players in NBA history – today on ESPN radio w/Mike and Mike. Ya’ll are ridiculous.

And the only reason to think Cal is dirty is… he has vacated TWO final fours with TWO different teams. Yes, he’s been able to work it so that his fingerprints never appear on the gun. But then again, most saavy criminals and cheats do. Saying people have no reason to question Cal’s ethics is moronic and a total homer attitude.

And #16, would you really want 18/19 year old kids going on camera to defend a grown a$$ man!?!