Calipari vs. Jerry Tipton

This video from today’s practice comes from UK Sports Info and it’s of Calipari and Jerry Tipton taking a couple of jabs at each other while talking about player grades and self-promotion. Always entertaining.

Article written by Drew Franklin

58 Comments for Calipari vs. Jerry Tipton

1. the cat 24
    1:36 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I wish cal would have gone off on him more. I wud never try to get a man fired from his job but how in the world does Jerry tipton still have a job? someone please tell me why we have a uk beatwriter that is one of the biggest anti uk writer out there. it’s embarrassing.

2. Positive Peggy
    1:36 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

#1… “employ”, not “employee”. I used a noun in the place of a verb.. hire me LHL (or not).

3. derek
    1:37 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I thought you should report news and not be a part of it. Tipton is a like and tabloid reporter!

4. nolablue
    1:38 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

JT is such a bitter old woman. He needs a good dose of estrogen and a rest home
    with a nice bingo facility. Pretty sure there are a couple of low-income ones
    right near the chicken bucket in Tardville.

5. Jimi Garden of Eden
    1:45 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Tuck Fipton…repeatedly

6. GACatFan
    1:46 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

We all have a cross to bear and UK has Jerry Tipton. Thanks Coach Cal for allowing him to step right in the middle of it. JT look in the mirror. It is you of whom we speak

7. Guck Foodman.
    2:00 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Jerry keeps moving up the list.

1. Satan
    2. Al Qaeda
    3. Jerry Tipton
    4. Hezbollah
    5. Taliban

8. Another Perspective
    2:02 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

It’s a shame that we can’have a gold standard sports reporter covering our team in the local paper.

9. a NKY UK fan
    2:03 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Cal is awesome.

10. yeahright
    2:03 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

LordHaveMercy, Jerry Tipton, poor sap. I almost feel bad for someone so inept, but I probably suck at my job as bad he does his. Although, I do ask better questions, write better, and am more relevant. Otherwise, we’re similar.

11. yeahright
    2:07 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Jerry, can we see your grades?
    Jerry, can we see how many mistakes you make, every. single. day?
    Jerry, do you feel guilty making money off the back of these young men and their talents? Why not?

12. Bulldawg
    2:14 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Get em coach cal!!!! @ #8 what are you talking about KSR is the GOLD STANDARD!!!!!!!! I don’t read the LH anymore….

13. josh
    2:14 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I couldn’t make out what Jerry said. What was his question?

14. Zac
    2:14 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Cal could run for president I swear.

15. UKstudent2011
    2:23 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

This is a joke. I’ve been in several classes with UK basketball players. Most of the time they’re not even there. When they are there for the exams, the cheat off of whoever is next to them drooling over the fact that they are sitting next to a UK player. Wake up Cal, the majority of your players are terrible students.

16. Pin The Tail On The Beez
    2:36 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

#15 maybe they aren’t there because of games/practices/etc..You can say that for any school/team..hell I go to a NAIA school and half the athletes can’t make it to class bc of their sport.

17. Jeff
    2:42 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

In all honesty guys.. Who gives a s*** how well our ball team does in school in the grand scheme of a large state university? as a Uk fan I realize how commercialized our basketball program is. This is a money making machine. People get good grades to eventually make money. Others play basketball. Deal with it

18. he says she
    2:42 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Wow! How defensive would JT get if the shoe were on the other foot and Cal could write two 500 word columns a week about Tipton and his life? Cal says a few words and Tipton’s voice gets all whiny and defensive:

“I’m not yelping”.

Uhhh… yeah you are douche. You’ve been yelping for years.

> Remember the story on Patterson’s truck?
    > Remember when you wrote: “Ahem, none said Kentucky” — when asking national sportwriters which college basketball program was the greatest?
    > Remember quoting a North Carolina student blogger about which programs said blogger considered the dirtiest?

That is just a few yelps…

19. JRA
    2:43 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

If tipton had any significance he would be a perfect anal orifice!

20. theSkinny81
    2:50 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

15 – nice try troll.

21. BMT
    2:58 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

@7 – If you believe Joe Biden when he says, “…the Taliban per se is not our enemy.”, then you could conceivably move Tipton up to #2. 😉

22. ukjonny8
    2:59 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

20- my exact thought!

23. villecatfan
    3:03 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I went to Louisville…the players there I had classes withu actually offerred me tix to copy off me…even though i was wearing uk gear…lol morons smh

24. bmac
    3:06 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

If you were studying school for accounting and some major accounting firm offered you 6-7 figures to leave school early to come work for them people would build a statue in your honor. And you better believe no one would look twice at your GPA or question how often you went to class or whether or not you should turn the offer down in order to stay in school.

Everyone wants to talk about how dumb athletes are or how easy they have it out of pure jealousy because they play a sport that looks fun to watch on tv. No one ever wants to talk about how hard they have to work if they want to make a career out of playing it.

Guarantee it’s harder than most people have to work to prepare for their careers while in college.

25. MikeInLexington
    3:08 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

The NCAA is a joke. To pretend these kids need to go to class in the first place is the problem. They are already in their professions, but because of white elitist journalist, professors and NCAA admin, who are all getting paid off of these black kids, they are unable to earn a check like white baseball players. Its slavery, bottomline and a joke, just like Tipton.

26. gottodoit
    3:09 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

15. If you have such damaging information and you want to gab about it – as you are here – call JT and tell him ‘the facts’. I’m sure he’ll be interested and you’ll have your five minutes.

So, go get ’em little bird with a big beak.

27. Cats Fan
    3:09 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

College is to help you get a job. Point blank, period (lol). The athletes are there to go pro, not to study, I don’t give a damn about their academic performance, except that the NCAA will punish UK if they do bad. Go Cal.

28. Harlanhick
    3:13 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Tipton is on his last legs as a reporter….good times ahead

29. Stan
    3:19 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Screw you #15,you probably don’t even go to school at UK. I agree with you #18,Tipton is a a anti Uk jerk who deserves everything bad said about him. He has to answer to no one for the lies he prints, P.Pattersons truck he “saw” patrick driving that wasn’t even in the state at the time. Tipton is a lying bas…d!

30. bmac
    3:23 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Tipton isn’t going anywhere as long as he is issued a press pass to cover UK events. His role as a villain probably makes the LHL more money than all of the other staff writers combined.

31. MikeInLexingtonIsRetarded
    3:23 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

@25 – stupidest thing I have ever read……NCAA Basketball is slavery? What are you smoking because I want some.

32. Derby_Demon
    3:24 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

#26–Since when does Tipton need “facts” to write a story?!!? It has never stopped him before!

33. UK rulz
    3:38 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

15 is a tard fan. What is ironic tard fans is that your ghetto commuter school has not been relevant since prop 48 players have been on your roster. Still butthurt that the last title was in 1986 and only one final 4 since then aren’t you, ghetto boys.

34. yeahright
    3:50 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I’ve had classes with players (granted, mid-80s) and the players were above average students. Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

35. kramer
    3:52 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Yes #15, I went to UL and had classes with lots of basketball players, they never were in class either, and i’m sure they got a better grade than me…Cheaters!!!!

36. Sheeeeeiiit
    3:55 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

25 – Your on to something. I think if we could finally get a black president we could rid our country of this modern day slavery you speak of. Oh wait, we do have a black president and his favorite sport is College Basketball. Damn I guess this outrage will continue of Forcing the young black man to play a sport he loves with the chance of making millions. It’s wrong and these white players, well they don’t have to play when they can get a respectable job reporting. Look at Jerry Tipton. He’s doing much better than say Rose or Wall.

37. BigV
    4:00 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Does anybody read Tipton anymore? Who cares what he says or does.

38. Score The Ball
    4:05 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Jerry must feel a little like Urkel. Roy Williams dogs him out and Cal exposes him for the horse’s @ss he is. Maybe if we’re lucky, Tipton will ask Pitino a dumb question after we hand him a 20+ point loss. That would make for great fireworks. Hope it’s on live TV.

39. Go Cats
    4:12 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Cal owns Tipton.

40. KYBLUE
    4:15 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

IF these guys were going into any other professional field out of college besides pro sports then they need to be at classes. But they are going to make their money in pro sports and i dont think uk offers a program for filthy rich nba players! Plus you dont see these guys, girls ect in classes because most of the time they are practicing, or out playing games making money for their university…

41. mikey4583
    4:20 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

#25 – You’re actually right, just minus the race part of it, unless you don’t believe there are any black “journalist(s), professors and NCAA admin.” that make $ off these players.

42. Bob Loblaw
    4:21 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

25 – That is one of the most ignorant things I’ve read on here.

43. Bob Loblaw
    4:22 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

40 – They should make them take “managing your money” classes.

44. jacocat
    4:27 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

#38 if Pitino takes a 20 pt. loss he wont even be interviewed.

45. ksr fan
    4:36 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

#25 – Comparing college basketball to slavery is a HUGE slap in the face to anyone who was ever actually enslaved. You need to get a life.

46. rmc
    5:11 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

you don’t care if the players go to class? Are you even students or graduates? And don’t say they are always practicing, the NCAA enforces rules on how many hours a student athelete may practice. I had a biology class with a player back in the 70’s. The guy showed up twice the whole semester.

47. Plain Truth
    5:41 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Jerry Tipton just reflects the majority thought of the H.L.H. Why is he even still at the paper?

48. Carl
    5:48 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

People need to realize LHL is owned by a company that has a major presence in North Carolina. They want Tipton there digging in the trash can. Creating negative articles about the UK basketball program. If he ever showed a hint of open minded perspective about the job Cal is doing at Kentucky he would get fired.
    If you really want to hit JT and company where it counts, send nastigrams to the LHL advertisers and let them know how you feel.

49. BFrey
    6:12 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Weren’t Gates and Zuckerberg “one and done?” What’s the big deal? College is to prepare people to excel in the “real world,” not an end in and of itself.

50. Zoom
    7:45 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Refuse to read the HL or support any who advertise with the HL until he is gone.

51. catfan68
    8:12 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

I went to UofL and was a tutor in the athletic dept so I know all the dirty UofL secrets; like academic cheating(employees actually helped the athletes cheat). Also, I remember being in a business establishment in the east end when Milt Wagner and one of the other players from that team came in. Apparently someone had stolen Milt’s stereo and he was there to buy a new one. And may God be my witness he yelled across the store to his buddy that he could get any stereo he wanted(price was no object) because coach Crum gave him his credit card and told him to buy a new one. Denny Crum was breaking the rules buying Milt a new stereo and he was so stupid that he announced it to the entire store!!! Keep that in mind Tardinal fans next time you want to say UK cheats or our student-athletes are stupid.

52. HB
    9:18 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

This tells me that Jerry Tipton has been calling recruits asking them some garbage questions like, “what do you say to the accusations that Calipari is mean to his players” and worse. Remember the previous “throw a rock and see what yelps?” saga, where Cal was dogging people who say stuff about him? This was an allusion to that. Cal isn’t the type to just go off on a reporter just for writing crappy articles.

53. Dr. Phil
    9:20 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Tipton obviously was not a popular kid in school, and was probably stuffed in the lockers by the athletes. So he now tries to attack UK athletes to feel like he is macho. Maybe he is a closet Homo. Why LHL lets a reporter do that, I do not know.

54. catfan68
    10:33 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

WHY DOESN’T UK REVOKE HIS PRESS CREDENTIALS?

55. catfan68
    11:10 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

Tipton is a jock sniffing sack of sh#t

56. duh
    11:12 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

?

57. Viren
    11:26 pm December 27, 2011 Permalink

#17 well said.

58. UKstudent2011
    10:53 am December 28, 2011 Permalink

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen at other places like UofL, and I’m not trying to troll. But it makes me mad when I work very hard to get decent grades, and then Cal always talks about how hard his players work in the classroom, when everyone knows they don’t (with a few exceptions like Knight). That’s my issue.