Calipari unaware of the fans bashing Jones and other notes

134446977

Notes from Calipari’s pre-Chattanooga press conference today…

— Coach Cal is confident that Terrence Jones will be back to top form tomorrow night. “I think he’ll be fine,” he said. “He knows he didn’t play well.” Calipari said benching Jones late in the game at Indiana wasn’t to send a message, it was because they “weren’t winning with him in the game.”

— Despite it being all over the place, he said he is unaware of the fans bashing Terrence Jones. Calipari said he has someone monitor the blogs and tweets for him, so he isn’t always up to speed on fan temperature. He did say he would’ve addressed the Terrence Jones issue publicly if he had known fans were trashing him after the Indiana game.

— Calipari admitted to second guessing himself about calling the timeout with five seconds left after the free throws. “I should have said forget about fouling. Just play your man.”

— On the Rupp Arena issue, Cal said he believes it can still be the gold standard as it is now; it just needs locker room upgrades and a few other improvements. He added that he agrees with UK President Eli Capilouto’s “campus first” policy on spending. The campus upgrades should be top priority.

— He is looking forward to adding Twany Beckham to the lineup tomorrow because he’ll bring energy and defense to the team, but he says Beckham is not a point guard option. Beckham believes his experience in the SEC will really help the team and he’s aware that it’ll be a slow process getting involved.

The Cats and Mocs tip-off at 8:00 p.m. tomorrow night.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

32 Comments for Calipari unaware of the fans bashing Jones and other notes

1. Jake
    3:42 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

Quit criticizing individuals it’s getting old

2. bluesince66
    3:44 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

Love it when Cal plays dumb. He is aware of what’s going on with his players.

3. Chris
    3:45 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

Saw were the game Sat will be on Wazoo http://www.wazoosports.com/programming/channelguide.html

4. tooblueforyou
    3:46 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

we are so lucky to have all of these great players to watch every week, they are just kids and as #1 said all of the criticism is getting old fast. Enjoy these great teams while we have them and let the kids play ball

5. sunnycat
    3:48 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

So Jones quits on his team against IU but now he will be “back to top form” against Tn-Chatt. NOT IMPRESSED

6. sunnycat
    3:49 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

4. At some point “kids” have to accept responsibility.

7. RidgeRunner
    3:49 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

Beckham not a PG option? Can anyone that heard the presser elaborate?

I mean damn…not even a backup as the season progresses? huh?

8. Stanky
    3:51 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

Sniff, sniff…is that Bull Shit I smell? C’mon Cal! That “someone” needs to be replaced for not doing their job if you are unaware of the blogs!

9. RidgeRunner
    3:59 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

2…You nailed it.

10. jj in Florida
    3:59 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

My opinion is that Coach should enact a no Twitter policy to protect the players from overzealous fans and those posing as UK fans. It is so easy to get on someones Twitter account. However, Twitter is a powerful marketing tool for new recruits and Cal knows how to use the media. I am worried someone is going to go too far. Every player at UK has to sacrifice a lot and these young men handle a lot of responsibility and pressure that the normal 18-22 year college student could not. They need our full support NOT when things are going great but when they have a bad day. Let Cal do his job and stop second guessing every minor flaw in this team. They are talented, but very young. This is not the 96 team and never will be but they could still win it all. Relax and enjoy these young men while we have them.

11. Doubting Thomas
    3:59 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

Cal is playing with you guys. He knows exactly what the fans are saying about TJ but he also knows those that are criticising him are the minority. TJ had a bad night but it was not his fault we lost the game. We actually had the game won and couldn’nt hit our free throws or execute at the end of the game. Neither of those had anything to do with TJ. GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. tubby knows
    4:00 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

this isnt memphis or damn umass, cal should address why jones was acting the way he was. I understand a bad night,but that was awfull and there is no way looking good against these next cupcakes is going to prove anything that hopefully will never happen again

13. DEasy
    4:06 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

I was under the impression that Twany was always a PG. When did this change? I believe his length could make him an asset on defense, particularly on the perimeter,through SEC play, but, I don’t see him getting into the game at any other place on the floor. Weird that Cal doesn’t consider him an option to run the point.

14. jj in Florida
    4:07 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

That last sentence I wrote sounded like a Sandusky quote…sorry about that.

15. RidgeRunner
    4:07 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

Cal will never come out in public in a negative manner against any of his players. He’s the coach & I respect that. Praise in public / Discipline in private. I get that.

Fans should do that as well in my opinion. Bad games do not deserve blasting them.

However, remember…fans should not have blinders and if no one {gives effort}….they cannot have a bad game. No effort for any player will and should bring attention from BBN. It is not who or what our legacy is about. We may lose but we always try.

16. soggyUKgrad
    4:14 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

I thought Twany was a PG…??

17. R U Serious?
    4:15 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

No, Cal. Your players should have done what you instructed them to do, and foul. It was a simple request that would have won the game, or at least led to overtime, if your instruction was followed. I hope you aren’t serious about telling them to “play their man”. That is one reason your not wearing a championship ring today.

18. RidgeRunner
    4:15 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

The PG thing… I can’t beleive a follow up question from somebody in the media didn’t happen on this one. Damn, that’s weird.

19. Carl
    4:16 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

I agree #1. People need to get with the program, support the team, accept the ups and downs….or find another hobby. I enjoy reading inciteful commentary, I don’t get any pleasure from reading some troll loser bash a young man because he didn’t meet your expectations. Get over it.

20. hersheyisabear
    4:19 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

I find it hard to believe that Cal knew nothing about it.

21. me
    4:42 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

19-spot on.

22. master shake
    4:43 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

Rupp Arena is the gold standard… bwhahahahahahahahahahah

23. Hero
    4:50 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

From UK Athletics website…Coach Cal on Twany Beckham not playing point guard …

“He doesn’t understand that position the way we need it played. He’s a good athlete, he has some good size, he can defend and be tough. I’ll be honest, with Jarrod (Polson) understanding how we play and what we do, he is probably ahead of Twany.”

24. Slappy The Beaver
    4:54 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

In an earlier post it was said that the game tomorrow with The Fighting Chris Early’s was on Dish Network – HD channel 429, non-HD channel 420…I went through the channel guide and don’t see either of these channels on Dish. Anybody got any insight into that?

25. RidgeRunner
    5:08 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

23…thx man, that offers a little more into what he meant,

26. AppyCat
    5:43 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

The reason Cal didn’t say something was because that was his way of letting Mr. Jones know that a bad night can be accepted but anything less than 100% hustle and determination is not unless there is good cause. If Cal thought the comments were not accurate then he would have spoke up. I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t have a talk about the criticism with him and how to handle it. Moving forward I think we will all see a reinvigorated TJ. Go get em killer.

27. Jen
    6:41 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

17 – Cal is saying that he would have called a timeout and tell everyone to get their man and I think that would have been a better call than to foul myself. With a time out Cal can make sure they play tough man to man defense without a worry of if they foul! Cal is exactly right, Watford don’t make that shot if Cal calls time out! I truly believe that! Forget about the foul because I thought Teague fouled but it didn’t get called so that plan was a fail! Obviously! Go Cats!

28. sfcosbourne
    6:43 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

I’m not too worried about the loss. The team is young and they’ll learn from their mistakes as kids do (Terrence Jones). Coach knows what he’s doing imo and we’ll be ready for our run to the championship. Patience is a virtue… GO CATS!!!

29. mamacatfan
    7:58 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

I think there are as many people concerned about and supportive of Terrence as those who are bashing. We just never get printed or mentioned…

30. RidgeRunner
    9:37 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

29…I think you can be both. At least I know that I am.

He’s a Cat & I will support him. I love his willingness to come back, showing the final four loss hurt, and everything about him when he trys.

However, I have only saw one UK player who didn’t give effort and then pout about it in the 35 years of UK Basketball. I will call him out on that as I did & I will do it again if it ever happens in my lifetime. That is not a bad game. Bad games require effort & I will never bash or call out a player who trys.

31. Jarvis Redwine
    9:54 pm December 16, 2011 Permalink

The vast majority of those criticizing Jones are trolls.

32. CAUKFAN
    12:22 pm December 17, 2011 Permalink

If Cal wants to keep private what was up with Terrence during the IU game that’s fine. It’s really none of our damn business what goes on between the coach and this players.

Terrence is a kid……give him a break.