Calipari tells Luke Kennard he wants him in a UK jersey

kennard

2015 shooting guard Luke Kennard visited campus this past weekend, and apparently things went so well that Calipari told him he wants to get his commitment ASAP. Kennard told Rivals’ Corey Albertson that the visit “went great,” and that his family toured the campus and spoke to Calipari for about an hour:

“It was really cool getting to sit and talk with coach Cal about my game. Cal’s main message to me was just that he wants me in a Kentucky uniform. He told me let’s get it done.

Kennard got a scholarship offer from UK back in July, and because he and his family have been UK fans their whole lives, many assume he’s a UK lock. Rivals’ 21st best player in the 2015 class insists this isn’t the case, but admitted there’s a “good possibility” he takes Cal up on his offer.

40 Comments for Calipari tells Luke Kennard he wants him in a UK jersey

1. Uk fan 47
    4:16 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

What you waiting for?

2. Geil the Snail
    4:17 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

Wiltjer Part Deux here

3. huh
    4:21 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

Since when did we start recruiting 4 star players?

4. WTH
    4:21 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

So,this is what we’ve been reduced to, taking the 21st player in the class? We should take no less than 10 and up.

5. TDog
    4:22 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

4. Since last season. I don’t know if you watched the season but the lack of depth was one of the many things that killed us. Having some depth is what helps us win.

6. I Say
    4:25 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

He will be a 5 Star after the AAU circuit. Rivals will update their 150 in a week or two. I expect Kennard to be top 15 by then. And I really like this move by Cal. Getting 1 or 2 Four Stars each class will gurantee depth year in and year out

7. mike
    4:26 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

@5 I assume you are speaking facetiously.
    @3Dude will be far more versatile than Wiltjer. I can already tell he moves better.

8. Real UK Fan
    4:29 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

Sign this kid as quickly as you can. He is the real deal.

9. Katmandu
    4:31 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

He moves better than Wiltjer when he’s standing still.

10. deWildcats
    4:31 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

I see posting on here and wonder – why? – why say such things and worse yet they took the time to write it down.

11. dukie
    4:33 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

Duke, mark it down.

12. Tennesse Wildcat
    4:34 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

What are some of you talking about? Luke Kennard is athletic and is a very good shooter. He can and will compete for significant minutes. We need a player of his caliber at UK.

13. Hicks
    4:37 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

The kid is going to be really good. I just wonder what it means for Newman and Matthews.

14. Mc
    4:42 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

Haven’t seen footage of him, but if he has decent size, decent defense, and can shoot I hope we get him. If he’s like that Stauskas guy from Michigan, that would be good to have on the team.

15. Cotton Mash
    4:53 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

Luke, just imagine what it’s going to be like hearing 23,500 say “Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke”!

16. Musehobo
    4:56 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

Cal knows the importance of getting the local boys at UK. You same morons who are complaining about recruiting this kid were the same people mad that we didn’t recruit Chris Lofton, who was a Rivals 3 star. Also, WCS was like the number 40th player in the nation. Grow a brain.

17. Steve
    5:07 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

Friend of his family….had a great visit. Ohio State told him he could play both basketball and football may come down to playing both for him. He is a good QB.

18. mike
    5:11 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

#11 that is the best and truest post that I have every read on here.

19. bosshogg24
    5:16 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

If he is good enough to be offered by Duke and UNC he is good enough for me besides I have complete faith in calipari!

20. OhioCat
    5:18 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

Spoke w/ an assistant varsity coach in the town next to Franklin today. I’ve watched Luke grow up and coached against him too in his younger days. I’ve also played against Luke’s dad and uncle in pickup games. Said that the family’s ties to UK and the state of Kentucky are way overblown in his recruitment. The dad (who was a stud at Franklin, played at Georgetown, and coached Luke through 8th grad) is apparently very high on Duke and would like for Luke to play for Coach K. Likes the idea of a Duke education. Apparently (don’t kill the messenger, please) the dad doesn’t care too much for Coach Call…called him a “slimeball”. Also, an AAU teammate of Luke (AJ Harris…a PG from Dunbar HS in Dayton) committed last night to Ohio State. Supposedly Luke has said before that he’d like to play with Harris in college. This, and the fact that he really likes Ohio State, has caused some to think Ohio State is the leader for his services. That being said, I’d love to have a local kid at UK.

21. Weddingplanner
    5:20 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

It is disturbing to see UK go after low tier 5 star players not to mention 4 stars like Booker and Blackmon

22. Bunny
    5:48 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

Hope this works out…recruiting a 4 star player 2 years out…

23. come on
    6:03 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

Luke, the darkside viruses post lies here, their schools have so little good they resort to imposter rude remarks to counter the light of UK. That is why they are always here instead of at home.

24. old man
    6:08 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

21) I can see that. Kids that want to go to the nba go play for Cal. Smart kids, and those who have plans other than the nba go to Duke.

25. Louisville Media
    6:13 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

White boys are done with Cal.

26. brain
    6:17 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

21=BS troll.

27. Delk for 3
    6:19 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

I really hope some of these posts criticizing the recruitment of 4-star players are jokes. Somehow I feel that they aren’t though. We have some of the dumbest fans, I swear.

28. Michael
    6:20 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

25) Clown comment. I suppose Brandon Knight, Patrick Patterson, and Alex Poythress to name a few all chose UK because their 4.0 g.p.a.’s weren’t good enough for Duke.

29. Delk for 3
    6:20 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

I seriously doubt his dad is calling Cal a “slimeball” now — that is, if he ever called him that. I know if a coach of Cal’s caliber was wanting my kid to play for him I would be very pleased with him.

30. Michael
    6:24 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know anything about this kid, but if Cal is this excited about his game bring him on! I don’t care that he’s not a top 10 recruit…. Lamb and Bledsoe weren’t either and did pretty well.

31. old man
    6:31 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

That’s not my point. All three of the names you mentioned will have nba careers. What I meant was that guys that may have to use their education for a living go to Duke. I didn’t mean that only only dummies choose UK and the smart ones go to Duke.

32. Blue Leather
    6:35 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

Coach Cal knows what he sees in Luke. Great player on and off the court.If Coach Cal wants him to commit now, that should be good enough for BBN.

#21, no way Mark Kennard called Coach Cal a “slimball”. The assistant you spoke to was at a rival school. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

33. PhilUK18
    6:42 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

Some of you people seriously alarm me. You’re b*tching bc we might get a high 4 star guy? If Calipari is this high on him, that should be good enough for you all, bc I’m 100% sure he’s a) a better judge of talent than all of you and b) has actually seen the kid play, unlike almost (I’m being generous there)you.

34. Bobbum man
    6:43 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

18/21- Lenny is that you??

35. Delk for 3
    6:47 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

This Louisville fan is spreading plenty of rumors on Twitter regarding the Harrison twins’ eligibility, as well as James Young’s. He has been doing it for a while now. Please destroy this punk. –––––>>>> @MasterDrewfus

36. Spotter
    8:37 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

Supposedly Duke is the early favorite. The family is strong UK fans, but Luke might fit Coach K’s system more so than Kentucky’s. Plus, he is likely not a one and done player. Luke’s father would never make a negative comment about anyone. Sounds like a Duke fan making up stories in the local area around Franktucky…:-)

37. bigcatstanding
    10:24 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

#3 SO what you are saying is because ESPN or whoever says there a 4★ recruit then John Calipari shouldn’t evaluate him his self. I think I will go with coach on this, thats what he gets paid the big bucks for. BBN ILF#9

38. bigcatstanding
    10:34 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

#37 obsessed much, he’s not trying pretty sure Indiana is looking up at Kentucky in that area also. just received academic awards recently so come with a Robert Morris comment like the rest of the haters.

39. bigcatstanding
    10:45 pm August 13, 2013 Permalink

#30 on point ) ( Josh Harrellson / Doron Lamb / Darius Miller / Eric Bledsoe how does that go John Calipari can coach doesn’t make players they make him lol isn’t that funny as hell. And that is in just 3 years, in line for #9.

40. bigcatstanding