Calipari Talks Bubble, Nerlens And More

John Calipari talked with Dan Patrick on a number of topics, including Kentucky’s NCAA tournament chances, Nerlens Noel’s injury and more. He says that he will support Nerlens no matter what he decides, but that he’ll do a backflip in his office if he decides to return to Kentucky.

Article written by John Wilmhoff

Former beer vendor, college mascot and ESPN editor. This spring, you can also find me blogging about the Reds on blogredmachine.com. Follow me on Twitter: @JohnWilmhoff

13 Comments for Calipari Talks Bubble, Nerlens And More

1. nope
    12:55 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

First, foos

2. Roland
    1:18 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

what happened with this post?
    It was posted earlier and then disappeared and now returns?
    Censors at work?

3. Roland
    1:20 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

by the way, Cal won’t be doing back flips outside his office.
    besides, I think there is a “non self injury” clause in his contract. (if not, there should be)

4. H.A. Milton
    1:27 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Its a man’s world!

5. Jon
    1:30 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Classic Cal…

6. Laker Cat 18
    1:35 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

3. Sounded like Cal and Patrick were getting a little heated toward the end. Coach vs. media I suppose.

7. Eric
    1:46 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

I could be wrong, but DP seems to like us. I enjoy his show. WAY WAY better than Cowturd or ANYthing that ESPN puts on. Cal’s handlers need to keep him abreast of who likes us and who hates us. You can add newbie, Jay Mohr to the list of people who apparently hate us. But his show sucks anyway.

8. Cal's Cats
    1:55 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

I like Dan Patrick because not only was he ESPN when I was growing up but he says what he wants. Most reporters who interview Cal and other coaches will not challenge them, when they give those generic “coach answers”. Patrick kept repeating to Cal when Cal was dodging the question, “yes but what will you tell Noel to do?” It got more into what we really wanted to hear from Cal.

Cal likely knows Patrick is a good guy or he wouldn’t take the time to go on his show but at the same time, Cal takes every opportunity to go on the defense against the haters.

9. Ridge Runner
    2:00 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

8, well said & I agree.

10. parker
    2:09 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

I think Dan was very fair, and did not cross any lines. Cal over reacted.. but man, i dont care. haha i BELIEVE we can catch the ol’ “conference tournament spark” and mayyyybe do a little damage in the Dance! Go Cats!

11. Ridge Runner
    2:15 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

10…I just think Cal aggressively defended his team in a change of tone to his voice. I don’t see it as an over reaction. Dan was just messing with him.

12. Han
    3:34 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

“This group we have coming in next year — and it’s not done yet” Consider that we could still add 3 guys, in theory, to the 6 already signed. You know he takes Randle and Wiggins if they come, and we could still add Hawkins. And a miniscule chance Noel returns to rehab, too. Gets me giddy.

2) Sometimes someone gets ahead of themselves and posts a post too soon after the last. They try to space them out more throughout the day.

11) Also there’s a bit of a delay before Cal hears him/responds, so they end up kinda talking over each other naturally.

13. Han
    3:41 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

11) Just finished listening. Cal was reacting with a bit of a time delay, so they weren’t always connected, but Cal was clearly reacting to some of the usual comments more than Dan himself. You know, the kinda crap that Tipton, Forde, etc. write and ask every time as if Cal is the only coach recruiting 1-and-dones. He was laughing along and just trying to get his usual points across.

Good interview all in all.