Calipari Still Talking About Getting Player Paid

Coach Cal joined Mike Lupica on his radio show in New York yesterday and spent a little bit of time discussing the plan he outlined on KSR last week that would allow for college athletes to receive a living expense for their athletic endeavors. Coach Cal didn’t add too much to the original idea, but made sure to point out that this idea does include paying all student-athletes, not just basketball and football players, and is feasible under the current financial structure.

Give it a listen below.

So what do we make of this? It seems like what Cal says makes sense – at least when he says it. But is this idea flawed? Share your thoughts below.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

32 Comments for Calipari Still Talking About Getting Player Paid

1. Adam
    1:12 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

I totally disagree with this plan. I go to UK on a Singletary scholarship, which is a full academic scholarship. The athletes already get what we get plus tons of free UK merchandise. On top of that, they get to play division 1 sports and have a chance to work towards a career for free. I LOVE UK athletics, don’t get me wrong. But the way we glorify athletes is part of the problem that our country has. Believe me, these athletes’ needs are met already.

2. BigBlueBrock
    1:12 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

I think Jay Bilas has had the best idea for compensating student-athletes: The Olympic model. Instead of institutions or some governing body paying them, simply allow them to benefit financially from their name. Let them appear in local ads, events, etc for money, just like their coaches can.

3. Jones Returns
    1:14 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

Say something radical to receive publicity(check) receive publicity (check) because you’re in the news you’re always on the minds of recruits whether they want you to be or not (check) have your way with any recruit in the country because you’re always relevant (check)…this guy’s awesome. it’s all in his master plan. psychological mastermind

4. BigBlueBrock
    1:17 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

#3 – You forgot one: Piss off the NCAA because you’re suggesting a plan that means the biggest schools all leave the Association? (Check)

5. BPM
    1:22 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

Adam, the big difference is that the University, the NCAA, the shoe companies, the merchandise sellers etc. are not making a ton of money off you. If they were making money off your name and/or image, you would want a piece of that pie right?

6. bigbluelush
    1:23 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

I like Cal, but I wish he would shut up about this. The NCAA already hates both us an him and REALLY hates both of us together. This talk is like adding gasoline to a fire.

7. bigbluelush
    1:25 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

The last time we got on probation with the NCAA was for what? PAYING PLAYERS. Not smart to have a coach openly say he believes paying players is the right thing to do. Especially when they are already looking for anything they can find to nail us.

8. Darryl Isaac
    1:25 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

#1 – Wouldn’t you agree it is only fair to these athlete’s that don’t have time to go out and get PT jobs because of the dedication and time they put forth to compensate them in some way.

9. Cat89
    1:27 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

#1 your nailed it!

10. AtWork
    1:36 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

BPM, what you do not realize is that YES, the University of Kentucky is making money off of “Adam”. Whatever “Adam’s” ACT/SAT scores were, his GPA, his accreditation gives the University of Kentucky a certain added or lessened level of accreditation. You get enough “Adams” and you can increase your funding from the state and apply for additional grant money to for education. By increasing the amount of education funding you are further increasing the added value of each athletes education, which they are receiving for free.

The athletes are already receiving nearly $45-50,000 worth of free education. An effective solution would be to put the money gained by the NCAA back into the schools that are already providing the service of education to the students.

11. DavenderCatTheSequel
    1:38 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

1) If you showcase your academic prowess on Jeopardy & win $100K, you don’t get your scholarship revoked.

12. ATB (Always True Blue)
    1:43 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

So I went to college at UK on a full ride scholarship. I also had other scholarships on top of that which paid out in cash if tuition, books, food, or room and board were covered. My roomate had alot more money than me. He got $20K annually which went to his books, tuition, R&B, and the rest was for whatever he liked.

Now tuition was about $1100 per semester full time when I went to school. We split $400 per month rent and our utilities worked out to be about $100 per month. Books were another $1000. I don’t know how you count but that would be about $8K with $1K left over per month to spend. For college kids we were living like kings.

These were entirely an schooly schollies. So people who are smart are getting paid to go to school and they don’t bring in crap to the university so why can’t the ones who bring in millions get a little bit of that in the system that is already set up. The amount could be consistent at all universities for each sport played. Then it is fair for everyone. Revenue sharing at the conference level can help for the non-profitable schools. It can easily be done if the NCAA wanted it to happen.

13. James
    1:44 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

Paying college athletes is just an all around bad idea. They already get a free ride. They do not have to pay for housing, food, nor education. They have it good enough already. If you want to beat the NCAA then beat the NCAA back by winning championships, not by paying our players!

14. Jimmys Swag
    1:45 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

Just Cal being Cal. If he gets this passed, he never has to worry about having to pay another shady ‘agent’ to take the fall for him ever again. I’m referring to Marcus Camby.

15. ATB (Always True Blue)
    1:46 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

By the way, Cal’s plan is absolutely insane and I don’t like it at all.

16. Goode
    1:47 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

10 – to bad there are 10,000s+ “Adams” in the world and only one John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, Jorts, Patterson, ect.

Sorry but a single “Adam” does not generate anything for UK.

17. ATB (Always True Blue)
    1:48 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

One more item on this topic, what better way to encourage your athletes to maintain a GPA than taking money out of their pocket if they don’t maintain a decent GPA, just like a schooly scholly. Maintain a 3.0 or better or its gone.

18. CatGSP
    1:50 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

I don’t know how much more Jim Rome I can take…BK needs to hurry up. I wish Jim Rome really would burn

19. Checks Pool Room
    1:50 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

Yeah I kinda like what #6 & 7 said,this is a slippery slope and maybe we should pick our battles with NCAA on something besides “paying players”.But I do love me some coach Cal

20. Naysayer
    2:05 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

I am totally against this idea. The players are paid via having their tuition / room / board provided. I know there’s plenty of value / consideration in this as I’ve paid to send two kids to college. Additionally, if the D-1 student athlete needs spending money etc then there are student loans available. If however, we want to allow the players to profit from their own name then let them write a check when they register for classes and when they check in the dorm. Like many others posting above, I too wish Cal would just shut up on this subject. If the NCAA is smacking UK around about your 500th victory celebration…well, let’s just stop tugging on Superman’s cape, okay?

21. stratblend
    2:12 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

While I agree with the plan, I really feel that the argument has no place with coaches. Leave it to ADs and Conference Officials.
    The last thing any of us wants is more fodder for opponents to point fingers at Cal’s “dirty program(s)”. As a former college athlete, I love the idea. I just don’t like how the source of the idea will be used to continue to sully the Big Blue.

22. BPM
    2:12 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

AtWork – you missed the point completely. While the University may benefit indirectly from 1000 “Adams” doing well in school, that situation can’t even compare to Nike and the NCAA making 2 million dollars (made that number up) off the sale of an officially licensed John Wall jersey and John Wall not making a dime off those sales. Sure, John Wall earns that money back eventually, but it doesn’t change the fact that the NCAA made millions off his name/likeness/image at the time (and perhaps even still today) without really doing anything. Why should an NBA player be able to earn a percentage of those sales and not a college player. Merchandise sales are just the tip of the iceberg on this too – there are countless ways the various entities directly make money off these athletes above and beyond the value of a scholarship, some books and some cafeteria food.

23. Thomas Beisner
    2:21 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

18, I like that….I assume there’s probably legality involved and it could create problems on the academic side of things, but that would limit how much money would have to be paid out.

24. Jones Returns
    2:23 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

who in the hell is Adam?

25. Seth sipe
    2:28 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

Pay the damn students . We are the ones paying tuition and having student loans call us. The athlete gets a damn scholarship & free passes on many courses and we are left to do it all on our own and pay our own way, like hell pay the athletes… Big time wrong direction

26. Danzigman
    2:30 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

Their education and living expenses (food and lodging) are getting paid for. That is already enough. Anything else will just lead to more corruption.

27. ummm
    2:50 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

If you go to school on an academic scholarship, you got to class, study, and have time for a part time job. If you got school on a athletic scholarship, you go to class, you study, you practice, you go to games, and if you wanna play you better be working on your game or conditioning. There is no time for a part time job. I agree that we glorify athletes way to much, but it is just plain right to give them a little pocket money to go to the movies or got out to eat. A person with no money is more likely to take a 50 dollar handshake than one that has some cash already.

28. uklaw95
    5:00 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

#3 – add one more: show athletes that you are a “player first” coach. Regardless of whether or not the plan ever comes to fruition, Cal has once again given recruits one more reason to listen to him.

In terms of the plan itself, we were very close last year to having just this scenario play out. If the Big 12 hadn’t paid Texas to stay, we very well may have had four 16-team conferences. Why is Cal’s idea so radical when we already have a BCS in football?

29. uklaw95
    5:02 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

I got real big news for you guys who are taking Pepto because you are worried Cal is pissing off the NCAA and they might come after us……………..

30. Adam
    5:19 pm June 28, 2011 Permalink

I enjoy all this conversation about “Adams.” haha My point is that the athletes already have enough to get by and then some. As much as anyone wants to argue that they don’t, they DO. Cal’s “plan” is, as before mentioned, something that is attractive to recruits. And Singletary scholars generate tons of money for the university, by the way. I’m not saying I’m a huge deal personally, but we do all kinds of community outreach and generate the kind of numbers academically that keep the university running and improving. I’m not saying that I deserve more money, but I will say that generally hard-working students that keep the university to its highest potential deserve just as much as top-notch athletes.

31. BPM
    9:50 am June 29, 2011 Permalink

This is not about whether college athletes get something of value in return for playing college sports – there is no question they do. This is about others profiting off those athletes above and beyond the monetary value of a college education. Everyone else in life has a right to be compensated if someone else uses their name or likeness and profits from it. That is the law. Is the monetary value of a college education just compensation? I don’t think it is when you consider how much money is involved here – we are talking about millions of dollars. To say it is stupid to even think about compensating players shows total ignorance of the amount of money involved here and, frankly, comes off as envy.