Calipari out getting his recruiting on

After his team pasted LSU yesterday afternoon, Coach Cal hopped back in the Big Blue Express and flew to Massachusetts to take in some of the action at the Spalding Hoop Hall Classic.  He gave some hugs to Anthony Davis last night, who is one of two (Michael Gilchrist) UK commitments playing in the event, and then stopped in to watch three recruiting targets today.  Evan Daniels tweeted that Cal is on hand to watch five-star teammates Alex Murphy and Kaleb Tarczewski this morning and will stick around to see 2012’s top overall player, really big big man Andre Drummond, this afternoon.  All three players are among the group of seven elite targets that Kentucky is focusing on for the 2012 season.  Here’s the entire list of players taking part in the high-profile event.

We’ll outline all seven more in depth tomorrow and even get you a Live Blog with Evan Daniels and Bryan the Intern in the near future.  In the meantime, enjoy some visual recruiting stimulation.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

40 Comments for Calipari out getting his recruiting on

1. RidgeRunner
    12:33 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Murphy & Drummond for sure.

Tarczewski seems a bit inconsistent to me but hell, I haven’t seen him as much as Cal & his staff. They know best.

2. NCcat
    12:37 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Andre Drummond’s game looks like Terrence Jones.

3. Karl Marx
    12:42 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Obama could take both of those guys to the rack.

4. Dale Hollow
    12:45 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Those are three of the most talented kids I’ve ever seen. I hope UK can land all of them.

5. mocha
    12:46 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Free enes

6. Han
    12:46 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Man, Drummond is an effortless dunker. I’d love for him to be on our team when we face Duke.

Any new info on the NBA talks and the whole one and done situation?

7. RidgeRunner
    12:50 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

3…Prez could take Kobe & LeBron as well —once his henchmen & staff briefed them on what the photo-op entailed. Nothing against Obama cuz all the Presidents have had those people setting stages. It’s just the way it is.

It’s like…ok guys, limited contact, arms length away, but look serious -and if ya get rough, we get rough…got it? Now, enjoy yourself and here’s a white house post card for your family.

8. Moderated By
    12:51 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

beisner?

9. fastpaste
    12:51 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Drummond reminds me of Shaq in Blue Chips. Sick sick sick.

10. Han
    12:52 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

I assume Duke is recruiting Murphy because, you know…he’s white.

11. tyrus
    12:52 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

2) agree

12. RidgeRunner
    12:52 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

4…saw Tarczewski in a highlight on scout.com recently and he seemed to loaf a bit. Again, just that one video and I may have caught it at a bad time. But…did see it.

13. Han
    12:53 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Is Drummond playing on a lower goal in some of those clips? It seems like some of those are like an 8-foot goal. If not, wow.

14. Jezz
    12:54 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Drummond is honestly the most exciting kid I’ve seen in a long time. He’s a beast. Amare/Dwight Howard like beasty. I don’t care about the other recruits at this point, Calipari will get great players anyway. But this guy is special, he’s the star of this class and I really want him in blue. Make it happen Coach ! Is he leaning towards another team as of now?

15. Han
    12:54 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

12) People said that about Cousins, too. And Josh earlier this year. Cal’s treadmill and bench takes care of that.

16. RidgeRunner
    12:55 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

15…No doubt. Just mentioning what I saw as it appeared everything was all rosy from these clips.

17. Chris Thomas
    12:58 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Andre Drummond is the next phenom – so unbelievably talented and so physically gifted.

Could surpass John Wall and Demarcus Cousins’ combined hype, and live up to it.

18. UKWildcats86
    1:02 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Thats a little too much white bread for my tastes

19. jeff
    1:03 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Can we just take Drummond now? Sorry Jorts.

20. SagaciousMind
    1:10 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

2, but he’s a helluva lot bigger than Jones. Drummond is NBA ready. Dont know anything about the kid, but makes me wonder what his attitude towards college ball will be. I dont know, but I really doubt we land Drummond, he seems to be a UConn lock. As for Murphy and Tarczewski, I wonder if they are a package deal. I believe we will have several scholarships open for 2012 so out of the top 7 Cal is after, I hope we get 3 or 4 of them. It almost seems like Archie Goodwin would commit as soon as offered, but that means Muhammed would probably lose interest since they are both sgs. I think if Cal wants LJ Rose bad enough he’ll have him. As for Perry Ellis, gonna be hard to get him away from Kansas. So out of the 7 main targets, who do you think we’ll end up with?

21. BPsycho
    1:10 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

#18 That’s what she said.

22. RidgeRunner
    1:12 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Drummond(1 ranked center & 1 overall)..6’9 — 251 lbs
    Tarczewski(4 ranked center)………..7’0 — 220 lbs

Austin(2 UK interested as well) & Coleman(3 signed w/ Baylor) both centers are ranked in between these 2 in rivals

23. RidgeRunner
    1:17 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

14…Drummond, not sure if I have seen who is in the lead…but these schools have made offers:

Connecticut
    Duke
    Georgetown
    Louisville
    North Carolina
    Pittsburgh

24. matt w
    1:20 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Yes one order of andre drummond please. kid is a clone of Amare at the high school level.

25. mjj2k+
    1:28 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

#22- Reverse that on Austin and Coleman. Austin has committed to Baylor, Coleman is still in play.

If the seven main target theory is correct, looks like Cal has 1 big in mind, with Drumnmond top choice, Tarczewski a backup plan, one combo 3/4, either Murphy or Ellis, one 2g/wing, with Muhammad probably #1, Goodwin a backup plan. Rose is the lone point, probably because there simply aren’t any really great PG’s in the class.

Have to figure UK is also at least somewhat involved with Coleman, Brandon Ashley, and Kyle Anderson.

26. RidgeRunner
    1:33 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Thx 25. –and amen about the lack of quality PG’s in this class.

If Drummond doesn’t go with us…certainly would rather have Coleman over Tarczewski at the center position -but that just me.

27. Scott Rigots European Recruits
    1:45 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

they are not as good as the recruits i would have brought to kentucky…

28. Big D
    2:01 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Well, they can all dunk. I like Murphy’s shooting touch. Now you know, before I hurt my knee……

29. Megan
    2:15 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Yeah, we like Drummond’s agility and athleticism. He’s awesome. He’ll overpower everyone.

30. Go Deep
    2:21 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Murphy looks a lot like Jon Hood…

31. I can't see the comments
    2:42 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

32. RidgeRunner
    3:32 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

30..Heck, I just posted Murph looks like Dirk. Oh crap then, they all kook alike, hell wit’ – it.

Looks like it’s settled Coach, we all want Drummond. Make it happen!

33. Kevin Love
    4:27 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

I am leading a white boy revolution!! glad the cats have picked up on the trend!

34. md
    4:36 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

kaleb and alex look like they could be “fan favorites”

35. repsol-69
    6:40 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

ummmmm…yes, please!

36. Columbia Cat
    6:56 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Would be great if Drummond wears #15 for UK – perfect for the U of L game!

37. D
    8:54 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Drummond looks like Dwight Howard to me. Drummond would be priority #1, #2, and #3 for me. However, I think he will be hard to pull away from UConn.

38. jon
    9:09 pm January 16, 2011 Permalink

Thought someone would have caught this but Cal actually stopped at 2 different tournaments. Anthony Davis was playing in Dayton, Ohio where Cal and staff flew after the LSU game before continuing on to Mass to watch the others.

39. Drummond = UCONN
    1:37 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

If Drummond wants to quickly maximize his talent then he should come to UK.

However, he won’t and probably will sign with his local favorite UCONN. I’m worried about the 2012 class. Yes, Cal will bring in some guys but there will be a noticeable drop off (more 4 than 5 star guys).

Perry Ellis will go to Kansas, Dejaun Coleman will to Syracuse, Shabazz Muhammad to UNC. Ricardo Ledo already signed with Providence and even Pittsburgh has signed a top 5 player in Birch. Maybe we can get LJ Rose but he’s a high 4. There’s lots of unknown questions about

IU already has a very strong 2012 class and Louisville has signed a couple guys.

I want to be hopeful, hope i’m wrong, and really want to beat Duke in ATL but I worry about the quality of that team. We’re talking about Poole, Polson, Hood, and Wiltjier (maybe Vargas if he red-shirts). I doubt Lamb, Knight, or Jones will be around for a junior season.

40. Drummond = UCONN
    1:38 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

Also, I hope i’m wrong but Gilchrist, Davis, and Teague probably are one and done