Calipari on last night’s exhibition

What did John Calipari think of last night’s Blue/White game?

I’ll let him tell you. Here’s his opening statement during the postgame press conference:

*******

“I would tell you that we really have a long way to go. We were a great defensive team by the end of last year. Led the nation in a lot of categories. People were scoring half the buckets. We stopped playing. We don’t rotate, we don’t scramble, just an okay rebounding team. Other than that, I guess we played pretty good defense.

Offensively, we still haven’t figured it out yet, but I’m trying to get guys to play a certain way and they’re trying. But it’s the first time out. We’ve scrimmaged this year 12 minutes before that scrimmage. We have so much to do to create habits. We really haven’t been able to scrimmage, and it kind of showed.

But I’m not worried about it. There were some lessons and there will be some stuff I’ll be able to show them to make a point of what we’re trying to do. Some things were okay. First time out, Willie started really good. Nerlens hurt his back but finished the game.”

********

We’ll have more from Coach Cal this afternoon when he takes questions at SEC Media Day.

Article written by Drew Franklin

6 Comments for Calipari on last night’s exhibition

1. DTuck
    12:25 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

We have a long way to go. Enjoy the ride.

2. DTuck
    12:27 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

I hope we are as good as everyone says we are. I don’t worry about what all of the critics and haters say. All I have to do is Root for My Team.

3. Marshal Cogburn
    12:34 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

I think that last year’s very young team winning the championship has many fans assuming that this team will be as strong and get off to as good a start. This is, however, an even younger team, and they’ll probably get off to a slow start against good competition. I bet they end up with 5-7 losses.

Last year Calipari could count on three veterans in his top 6 (Jones, Lamb, and Miller). This year, he really just has Wiltjer, who it sounds like may still struggle on defense. There’s no seventh man identified yet, and that means that it’s hard for Cal to put a solid defensive five on the court right now. He either has to have Wiltjer out there, or run the twin towers, which he’s hinted will need to play a zone rather than his preferred switching man-to-man. This won’t be a great team until they play Calipari-level defense, and that may take a while.

Look for the team to chew through the cupcakes and then break its teeth on tough teams early, much like the 2011 squad. By February, I expect Calipari to have them playing as a top 10 and maybe top five team. But at the outset, I doubt they’re there.

4. Duke Sucks
    12:52 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

My guess is if you told Cal they would only lose 5-7 games this year. He would take it. But who knows there is a lot of talent on this team so by years end they will be as good as anybody.
    We aren’t UL or IU we don’t play for Nov. or Dec. we play for April.

5. James K
    1:22 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

Isn’t that one of the Calipari photoshops from before he came to UK? Look at the pixel density on the UK. Just find those pictures funny.

6. Oogie
    1:48 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

Nerlens having a tough time getting it going, between losing practice time due to reclassifying, nagging injuries, etc. This team needs him to be beastly on D and on the boards to reach its potential.