Calipari on going 40-0: “Let’s do it.”

calipari7

On Saturday, John Calipari spoke at the 46th annual Baron Club Award Dinner at the Franciscan University of Steubenville. His main theme? The importance of dreaming beyond your surroundings, something he learned from his mother. Cal said he’s using that philosophy with his players, whom he’s encouraging to “think like kings” and go after his goal of an undefeated season:

“They (kings) think differently than we think. There’s nothing wrong with trying to get teams and groups of people to think like kings and ask what can we do, how far can we go? My goal before I retire is to coach a 40-0 team because they say it can’t be done. As the season goes on, it gets harder and harder. But I say let’s do it, let’s do something crazy.”

Cal said that line of thinking brought him to Kentucky: “Being the coach at Kentucky is an upset for me, I’m blessed to have this opportunity.”

The only way to get to 40-0? Working together. Cal recited the old African proverb “if you want to go fast, you go alone. If you want to go far, you go with many”:

“As a coach, I try to get my players to understand we have to do it together. It’s not just about working hard, it’s about working together. You have to care more about the other guy than you do about yourself.”

Let’s do it.

[Herald Star: Calipari speaks at Franciscan] (H/t Larry Vaught)

26 Comments for Calipari on going 40-0: “Let’s do it.”

1. Ben
    4:14 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

It will happen. Oh yes, it will happen. I think we do it this year and Give Bobby Knight another reason to hate us.

2. Otis
    4:15 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Why not?

Cal still has the highest Frogger score at Mario’s Pizza next to Robert Morris campus

3. shannon
    4:16 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

If Kentucky goes undefeated and wins a national championship it will be historic for the Cats. No UK team has done it believe it or not. Rupp went 25-0 in 53-54 but declined to play in Ncaa’s because 3 players were deemed ineligible. This may be Kentuckys best shot to run the table, and no team has gone 40-0 in 1 season.

4. SeaCat
    4:20 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Tyler, you are good!
    Great posts on a slow news day.

5. I've Missed This
    4:24 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Oh how i’ve missed seeing our guys be their brother’s keeper…

6. Jordan
    4:24 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

We were a combined 8 points away from going undefeated 2 seasons ago. With just as much, if not better talent returning than the ’12 team with an overall better freshman class coming in, it can be done. but are there as many talented teams in college basketball this coming year as there was that year?

7. Kenny H
    4:26 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Playing MSU early will be a tough test. Playing UNC in Chapel Hill will not be easy. I’f we win these games it is possible. If we get Wiggins it will be easier to do. But I believe we can do it without him.

8. Woods
    4:26 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

@3 One team has gone 40-0 and it was last years Baylor women’s team. Only team in college history to go 40-0.

9. TorpedoVegas
    4:27 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

2) The same could be said about Ricky P. Frogger…Italian eateries…ya get it? Talkin bout bangin some old whores!

10. Austin
    4:28 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

I like my team

11. UKBlue1!
    4:52 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

I can smell title #9.

12. RICK
    4:57 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Undefeated season isnt likley to happen, but i tell you what makes it more likely than not and thats having the best players and if that other kid comes ,tired of saying his name, its possible but not probable.It will be fun trying.

13. moron
    5:02 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

@8. hey dufus, he was talking about men’s basketball. of course he didn’t say it, but i’m sure he thought it was understood, and it was to most of us. there’s always one.

14. mudcreekmark
    5:08 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

6) I’ll have to disagree with you on the returning players. No way is Poythress, Wiltjer and WCS as good as Lamb, Jones and Miller. Not even close. I also don’t want to say that the incoming class is better than that freshmen class quiet yet either. Does this incoming class have the number one and number 2 draft pick? Maybe, maybe not. I will agree with you that it is possible. When Cal first mentioned it after the 2012 championship game, he had this class in mind. That was going to be his sells pitch to the Class of 2013. It has worked exactly as he had hoped it had.I also am sure this has been brought up in his conversations with Wiggins. Come on in and lets make history. You will be talked about for eternity if we can pull this off.

15. Stevie
    5:09 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

#8, this has nothing to do with the women’s team(s). Achieving something in one “gender based sport” does not reflect on the other. This is like comparing apples to oranges. Please, don’t feel insulted, but you are being reprimanded.

16. robroy
    5:28 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

8. What does Baylor’s women’s team have to do with UK men’s college basketball? notadamnthing. What does Calipari and UK men’s team have to do with Baylor’s women’s team? notadamnthing. Nice of them to go 40-0 and all, but it has nothing to do with this topic.

17. Kevin C.
    5:57 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

I don’t care if they go 30-10…the only number I care about is #9.

18. mudcreekmark
    6:20 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

17) I’m with you. I don’t know if I’d want to put that kind of pressure on a freshmen dominated team going into the NCAA undefeated and having to win six more games in a row. I for one was glad the 2011-2012 team lose in the SEC tourny just like I was glad the 1996 team lost in the SEC tourny. I don’t like these long winning streaks going into the NCAA tourny. Just like the Heat, winning streaks will end it is just a matter of when and you sure don’t want it to end in the big dance.

19. J
    6:32 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Hate to bring up wiggins I know everybody is tired of hearing about it. Just wanna say I find it ironic that cal keeps mentioning 40 and 0 and the next day wiggins cancels his visits. Say what you want about him being tired or whatever. I think cal knows the only way he can come close to doing this is adding wiggins. I think next years team will win it all regardless but I don’t see them not losing a game. I think he knows wiggins is on board for something that will be very historic next season. We worry about this wiggins thing to much, he told the kid we would win every game by 30. We sometimes forget we are dealing with the best recruiter in the history of college basketball. I just for see cal missing out on this kid. Wiggins knows this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I just don’t see him letting that slip by.

20. J
    6:34 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Sorry * can’t see

21. hendoblue
    6:39 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

19- hope you’re right

22. paintsville'sdairyqueen
    7:14 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

Stop with the 40 and 0 talk! Just stop it! I agree with # 17, # 9 is all I care about baby!

23. paintsville'sdairyqueen
    7:16 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

And another thing what if they do go 40-0? Does Cal leave?

24. BigBlue
    7:40 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

It’s all about #9! Whether or not we are undefeated is not important.

25. Jason
    9:13 pm April 23, 2013 Permalink

I’m a UK fan and all this undefeated, thinking like Kings talk is getting on my nerves! Did any of you watch the Nike Hoops World vs USA? The US team got beat (double-digits) by a bunch of kids from France, Congo, Canada, etc. The US team had our top 3 recruits (Randle & the Harrison twins + ALL THE OTHER BEST HS PLAYERS in the country). The US kids played poor defense. That’s my concern with a team of stars, who will step up to do the dirty work? It’s a mistake to think like Kings before you’ve accomplished anything! I think Florida & Vandy will be very great next year. I suspect we will struggle against well coached savvy upperclassmen. I’m excited about our potential, but we’re sounding too much like the Miami Heat before their 1st disappointing season together!

26. VoiceofReason