Calipari: “My guess is we’ll need a new batch.”

Coach Cal was in Oklahoma City last night to watch Anthony Davis accept his Wayman Tisdale award for being the best freshman in college basketball. Afterwards, Cal dropped a hint as to what he expects from this afternoon’s press conference.

“My guess is we’ll need a new batch,” he said.

Davis, who shouldn’t even think about returning to school, is excited to announce his departure with his four teammates by his side.

“We thought it would be nice, cool, to do it together,” he told reporters.

After hearing those comments, it’s hard to imagine any of the five guys coming back to school for another season. Be ready for an afternoon of goodbyes from the Craft Center.

Hear more of Davis’ comments from the award banquet:

(H/T LEX 18)

Article written by Drew Franklin

44 Comments for Calipari: “My guess is we’ll need a new batch.”

1. fan
    10:52 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

this just in: WE’LL SURVIVE … we just won a National Championship for pete’s sake … GOOD LUCK FELLAS AND THANKS FOR EVERYTHING

2. UK
    10:57 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

He said the five starters and Darius will announce tomorrow…call it a hunch but I think Darius is gone

“Heroes get remembered, but legends never die”
    Thanks for a great season and the wonderful memories guys!!

3. Bradley
    11:01 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

Drew, Matt made reference to the “possibility” of someone returning. Just wanted to let you know so you can edit or delete that out of the podcast.

4. nooooooooooo
    11:02 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

no couches being burnt tonight…they will be waterlogged with tears 🙁

5. Wall2Cousins
    11:06 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

“My guess is we’ll need a new batch.””

a new batch of Mrs Calipari home made cookies?

6. GoCats2
    11:08 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

Liveblog of the announcement? I havent heard from Carruths Entourage in awhile.
    I am hoping for a pleasant surprise. I expect all 5 to go but it would be absolutely epic if even one of them stayed.

7. New Batch
    11:09 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

8. DavenderCatTheSequel
    11:15 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

7) Your pic isn’t showing because it’s hotlinked but I bet it’s of Gremlins 2. I am sad & ashamed if I am correct about that.

9. MT's NutShot
    11:15 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

Seriously, why would they feel any sort of attachment to UK? Certainly there is no loyalty. C’ya.

10. johnwaynelives
    11:16 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

CONGRATS TO ALL !!! It’s been a hell of a season.

11. BigCatFan
    11:17 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

I saw Teague and Lamb at Applebees last night! No new vehicles in the parking Lot!

12. Mkgistebow
    11:18 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

I think Teague may stay. Another yr would benefit him. I think it’s 50/50 but if he returns it would be huge.

13. MT is Empty
    11:24 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

Oh indeed #9; why any loyalty to UK? Your farewell is classy….

14. SayHarrowToTheRepeat
    11:31 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

The video is called ‘Anthony Davis: Uncut’.

Just like his unibrow. ^_^

15. East Kentucky Infidel
    11:36 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

A new batch is lined up! Bring on the next championship class.
    Cal is turning the glory road into an expressway!

16. Anthony Bennett
    11:36 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

Told you guys to show me some love.

17. douggercats
    11:41 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

I do not like way Brian Long is smiling in this picture. He looks lost in the moment instead of focusing on celebrating.

18. ukfaninohio
    11:41 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

This is gonna be remembered forever all five guys are gonna have some big way to say they are coming back baby!

19. MT's NutShot
    11:42 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

Churn…churn…churn goes the factory.

20. Ridge Runner
    11:43 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

It’s time for them to take this next step together and we shouldn’t expect anything less. Each of their families have provided for them to get to this point and now they can give back to their families. They will be financially comfortable and well they should. They are apart of BBN and will always be.

21. Tina
    11:44 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

well said ridge runner.

22. barn
    11:45 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

what IF they all came back? there would be a logjam of talent and some of the new recuits scurrying to go elsewhere

23. Ridge Runner
    11:47 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

22, one thing would be certain if they “all did”…

The Flat Top Feller would have [OH CRAP!] cut into his fade.

24. jayezzy
    11:49 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

#20 poorly said. Just because theyre leaving doesnt mean theyll be apart of the program forever. They can always come back and celebrate the program.

25. Blue Mist
    11:51 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

24) Thats not what he said. Not sure how you came up with that perception.

26. Ridge Runner
    11:53 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

24, ummm… sorry you took it that way. I went back and re-read it and not sure how ya came up with that.

27. Jerk
    11:55 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

#24 I see what you did there.

28. Walter Sobchak
    11:55 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

24) I think he meant “a part”. Poorly typed, not necessarily poorly said.

29. barn
    11:56 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

he’s nitpicking the word apart, when rr was meaning to say they are “a part” of. i think apart means not connected to

30. Walter Sobchak
    11:56 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

26) “apart” means not together, “a part” means together, basically

31. Ridge Runner
    11:58 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

29 & 28…ahh gotcha. Yes, my error. I apologize as I should have caught that. Going to fast.

32. barn
    11:59 am April 17, 2012 Permalink

i’ve larned more english in here than i did in summer school back in h.s.

33. Ridge Runner
    12:00 pm April 17, 2012 Permalink

32…haha. Me too my friend and for me, if I would learn to slow down and proof my words before I submit them…I would be better off.

34. This Ain't Butter
    12:04 pm April 17, 2012 Permalink

#19-I think you’re confusing the process of manufacturing with making dairy products. Until you are properly trained, please stay out of the kitchen and off the assembly line.

35. David
    12:09 pm April 17, 2012 Permalink

Cal’s quote doesn’t mean too much for me. He loves downplaying the situation or lowering expectations and then getting BBN hyped over the outcome, just like he did when Noel and Shabazz were announcing. His comments then seemed to suggest that neither of them were coming and then next thing you know Noel is spinning around to reveal UK buzzed into his head. Not that I don’t think they are all going pro, just saying I don’t put much significance into what Cal said.

36. GrammarPolice
    12:28 pm April 17, 2012 Permalink

31 if we’re talking grammar here, then I think you meant “Going too fast” 🙂 ha

37. GrammarPolice
    12:29 pm April 17, 2012 Permalink

Unless you’re actually going to fast. Fasting isn’t that fun, I don’t recommend it.

38. Leaving the butt out of butter
    12:29 pm April 17, 2012 Permalink

34: Many simple-minded folk can turn out quite pleasant dairy products in their own kitchen, without any specific knowledge of the complex manufacturing process. Store bought buttermilk is fabricated, and is NOT from butter making. When you make your own butter, any milk left over is skim milk–all the butterfat has been removed. It tastes just like regular skim (no-fat) milk because that’s what it is. Do NOT make butter expecting to get buttermilk similar to store-bought. From my experience, if you lost your buttermilk in the process, you didn’t shake long enough. It takes me 18 minutes of vigorous shaking. I add 8oz of whipping cream to a pint jar with a little salt. For the first 16 minutes or so, the inside of the jar is coated white. Then it just separates and becomes easier to shake. This leaves me with one lump of yellowish butter and the buttermilk.. The buttermilk actually tastes like whole milk to me. I’m using store brand heavy whipping cream. Hope this helps out.

39. kentuckyjeff
    1:11 pm April 17, 2012 Permalink

My opinion is Calipari shouldn’t have said anything. It just kind of steals there thunder so to speak. I love Coach Cal, but that comment just shouldn’t have been said it’s not like he doesn’t know. These kids deserved the right to announce in there own way what they we’re going to do. We all pretty much knew they were going anyway but to me he shouldn’t have shared it. That’s the first time I’ve ever said anything negative but even him saying just a guess is wrong. Don’t throw me under the flame thrower for this it’s just my opinion. I love our coach and love the CATS !

40. in this i believe
    1:49 pm April 17, 2012 Permalink

Coach Cal, like a good parent, provided an opportunity and a place for the players to develop, improve, grow their talents with other equaly talented players under the teaching of a staff and coach that understands their job is to recognize each players strength and weakness
    Putting these players development as the priority, creates an atmosphere of confidence and mutual trust for all parties. That makes individuals play as one. Not forcing submission of ego to a mystical belief
    In something that is at to each other that makes that mystical

41. in this i believe
    1:53 pm April 17, 2012 Permalink

In something that does not physically exist. Only when players like this years team develop so much as individuals made them play as one.

Sorry fat rinnger caused premature subbmision of prior post

42. Hard Knocks
    2:33 pm April 17, 2012 Permalink

Some of you guys are knuckleheads these kids won a college basketball tourney. A great accomplishment but its done every single year. Last 5yrs Kansas, North Carolina, Duke, UConn and now Kentucky. Basketball powerhouses are supposed to win championships nothing mystical about it.

43. jc
    4:44 pm April 17, 2012 Permalink

Uhh, really, a lesson on butter making? You couldn’t find a better blog to weigh in with this info???

44. kyrifle
    5:03 pm April 17, 2012 Permalink

Thanks for the memories big fellow! Keep big blue alive and continue to promote Kentucky basketball wherever you go. Ware the big blue proudly and continue to get better. I hope you improve where I might enjoy watching NBA basketball again. Now – rarely do, over paid for what they produce. College basketball is where the true joy is. Thanks, big fellow.