Calipari: “I can’t imagine this team being up 20 on anybody”

Maybe it’s time to cut back on the high expectations for this team.  What you’re seeing is what they are.  Even Calipari acknowledged that in his postgame press conference following the win.

“In the last seven or eight years, I’ve had teams that have absolutely whomped on people. And this ain’t one of ’em,” he said after the game. “I can’t imagine this team being up 20 on anybody.”

“We are what we are. I love this team,” he added.  “We’re going to be in dogfights.”

So get your heart ready for more close games throughout conference play, including the Auburn game this coming Saturday.  Calipari said it will be “jersey day, cup day and bat day.”

I want one of those bats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

62 Comments for Calipari: “I can’t imagine this team being up 20 on anybody”

1. UKGrad04
    9:58 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I like my coach.

2. Mike
    10:00 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Goodwin and Harrow 5-19. It isn’t just the case of them having a bad game together it is mostly Goodwin being an out of control train wreck. Are he and Alex ever going to get it. There lies the cancer and chemistry problem.

3. UKGrad04
    10:02 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

3. How many times are you going to post that? Calm down. We won the national championship last year.

4. eastcoastcat
    10:03 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

GO BIG BLUE, BABY!!!!!!!

5. Bottom Line
    10:03 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

46 more times.

6. What?
    10:04 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

After getting waxed at Rupp, a place UK was formally INVINCIBLE, who the hell thinks Kentucky is going to blow out anyone? This is going to be like the 2010 team, but worse. There is no Miller or Liggins on this team.

7. Mike
    10:04 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Cal….this is the team you recruited. How could you miss these guys having heart, team play, and the desire to win. You have proven that you are a magical recruiter but you missed on this group. I understand you thinking mediocrity but think you are making a mistake of saying it and putting it into print. I know you are hopeful that some buttons can be pushed but if this team hasn’t gotten it by now, how is is reasonable to conclude they every will.

8. Cup Half Full
    10:05 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

We definitely have issues but a win is a win. They still can’t sustain effort, scoring, and defense but there are more flashes of good now. I hope these young men can continue to build on that. GO CATS!!!

9. STEVE!
    10:07 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

3 – Would you say Duke and Louisville are decent teams? We avoided being raped by them. I’m not sure we’ll play anyone any better this year. Lighten up, and try to enjoy.

10. Mike
    10:07 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

It sucks that our worst fans are the most vocal. Makes the comment section hard to read.

11. JBR
    10:07 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Any football recruiting news???

12. Ridge Runner
    10:08 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

If we played a team that was even mediocre, we lose.

13. eastcoastcat
    10:08 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

8-because their is still half the season left. Think what will happen if Archie and Alex mature and play like Nerlens!! Give us some time…these kids are teenagers, man.

Wheres the call-in show??

14. 4UK1
    10:09 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Gotta hand it to Coach Cal … he knows how to decompress post game. He must sleep like a baby at night. Let it go …this team will gel in time !!!

15. Huh?
    10:09 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

3 how in the hell are we going to LOST to auburn?

16. Ridge Runner
    10:12 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Some of you people (other posts tonight on here) are so funny with the doom and gloom scenario’s in the way you type out you’re frustration. Name calling, unreal statements on how bad we are, etc… Wow. Granted, we have a team that isn’t very good but to go to the extremes in bad mouthing a home team and it’s coach over & over & over… is the damnest thing I can think of for a so-called fan of any team. OK, subtract a few of the commenters as trolls -still, there is many that go beyond criticism and whether it’s being spoiled from a national championship to realizing some teams IN ALL SPORTS just don’t get it….it’s ok, we will be who we will be and even if it’s next year…the sun will come out tomorrow. We are the winningest program in college basketball and if we get 20 wins in 2013, the sky isn’t going to fall over UK. It just means…”Welcome to sports 101″.

17. eastcoastcat
    10:12 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

16-LOL…postgame show…anyone!!!

18. tdogg40330
    10:14 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

11) thats not fans, thats “idiots” …. no other way to describe it

19. wow
    10:14 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Would love to look back at some comments from games like the loss at Georgia in 2010-11 season and see how many were giving up on miller and liggins. Oh and after the ole miss game when miller passed up a game winner and folks said he’d never take a big shot. Bet those same folks are saying this team is missing a miller. News flash this team isn’t that far from being good-losses to nuber one and three by a total of single digits. Not saying they will step up, but to say they can’t is short sighted.

20. Mike
    10:14 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

CONTROL….That just might be the key word. This team does not play under control, and Cal does not coach under control.

21. Ridge Runner
    10:14 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

13…thats not me but thanks for the props. Fun stuff.

22. sunnycat
    10:15 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Cal is right they are what they are. It’s mid January so the “they will be ready come March” is looking less and less likely.

23. Eric
    10:15 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

@ErRaTr: Watching this year’s UK team compared to last year’s team is like going from driving a Ferrari to riding on the pegs of your mom’s bike.

24. Reeling
    10:15 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Noone wants compare to last years team but we all do it. Lets break it down
    On scale 1-5 of where these kids are compared to last. I will pair them with respective players.

Teague-Harrow/ at this point last year, about equal. But Ryan is at a 4.

Lamb-Goodwin-2. Lambs experience, not a ball hog like Goodwin, Lamb better decsion maker

Davis-Noel-4. Getting there, his steals and assist help, but AD was a great free throw shooter, offense is more predictable

MKG-Poythress-1 has the build and better spot up shooter, but thats it

Jones-WCS-this ones a push. Willy has more team in him, sucks at free throws, i will say a 3

Miller-Wilt-2 Miller could defend

25. Real talk
    10:15 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I really think cal should try having Goodwin be the sixth man. The offense is more fluent when wiltjer is a factor. And Goodwin can come on as an instant spark with his athleticism and length

26. tdogg40330
    10:16 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

18) Jones tweeted that the post game show will start @ 10:25

27. cat fan
    10:17 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

We are so spoiled as UK fans. We knew we had to come down from our high over the past 3 years. We are what we are, an average team with loads of talent. If we start playing defense and playing together we can make a run. I just hate reading all the negative posts from bandwagon fans. Support what we are or shut up! GO CATS!!!!!!!

28. Catlanta
    10:19 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

17 & 28- Nailed it.

29. Catlanta
    10:21 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

3) idiot

30. Chi-town Cat
    10:22 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I think it’s a case of we play to the competition bad team =bad play better team=better play .

31. eastcoastcat
    10:25 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

27-Good lookin out T DOGG

32. BBN
    10:26 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I agree that Calipari recruited the current roster and is ultimately the one responsible for the way this season turns out. He’s been great for the Kentucky program and brought all of us tremendous pride and joy. Particularly winning the NC last year. However, he should be held accountable for this miserable team. He missed on too many big time 5 star recruits such as Shabazz, A. Bennett, A. Oriaki, etc. and should have filled out the roster with some 4 star and high 3 star players who could pushed for playing time in the 7-8 man rotation. Instead we currently have guys like Hood, Polson, Malone and Long on our bench. In what universe does that make any sense at this level of competition? Why not fill out the roster with some quality players who may not be 5 star guys? Cal is mostly to blame for this debacle of a season. Should he get a pass because he won it all last year and has a monster class coming in next year. I am fine with that but Cal created the current mess.

33. putinrichie
    10:32 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

10 – We were down 15+ midway through the second half to both Duke and UL. Both times we caught fire only to make the final margin more respectable, but both games were the same script of us getting outplayed and clawing back to keep the final margin respectable.

They were still losses though. Cal has been right about this team from the beginning. I think they are worse than even he expected, but our fans saying “wait until March” and talking about how talented we are didn’t quite understand this team.

34. big cat
    10:33 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

@28 you cant say it any better than that!!! Go big blue!!!

35. SexnNursinHomes
    10:38 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Wah wah wah. Crybabies. BIG crybabies. I’m happy I get to see the Cats play ball. Guess some people are born to just bitch and complain because that’s what they do. Gloom and doom. Woe is me.

36. spencercatfan
    10:42 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I can’t believe this crap some of your are saying! You b-tched when we had Tubby and now a year after we win a championship you are b-itching again.You all talk really good smack on a message board but I bet you would not call one of these players a “Punk” or say anything negative to their face or probably anyone else for that matter. Leave the players alone or go root for another team! I am sick of all your complaining!

37. TrueCatsFan
    10:44 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

33. – you didn’t have a problem when polson, hood, long were on the bench last year! U fake UK fans need to quit crying, and just support the team we have!! True fans stick by their team through the highs and the lows!! Ur bitching doesn’t change a thing! TrueCatsFan 4-Life!!! Go Cats!! Go Cal!! Go Stoops!!!

38. Jerk
    10:44 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Cal needs to make them watch Wisconsin play, they may learn how to play defense! Never saw so many white boys on a NCAA basketball team.

39. Coach Jamin
    10:46 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

This whole mindset irritates the hell out of me. We have been spoiled as fans. 8. How can you say that? We are half-way through most of these guys freshmen year. Surely you aren’t suggesting that freshmen on any other team in America, and I’m talking the normal freshmen, not the special ones we had last season, are getting “it” faster. We’ve come to expect freshmen to play like juniors, seniors, and NBA rookies and that is not fair. Take a step back from the ledge. Keep in mind as you watch that these are freshmen. Why aren’t they playing like a well oiled machine yet? Because they are freshmen. They’ve never had to play as a team. They were good enough to win a lot of games on their own in high school. They are developing like normal freshmen. You can’t have an Anthony Davis and MKG every year.

40. Jerk
    10:48 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Guess Wisconsin should be the great white hope instead of Duke

41. E
    10:49 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

People crack me up in here. So mad about some 18 year old kids playing basketball. You all are lashing kids who you don’t even know because they are playing mediocre. Get a hold of yourselves. Better yet, get a hold of your life. You are too emotionally invested when you call kids retards and cancers over not playing to your standards.

42. Mike
    10:49 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

This is the first game that I really didn’t want to hear the Cal postgame. I get tired of hearing about the youth, and he says the same thing after every game. You have got to think he really sees the same cancer problems we see, but he most feel very frustrated that he can’t get them to drink the kool aid. I hope this doesn’t turn him from the future challenges here. Hopefully, we will be able to dismiss this BS same time next year.

43. Ridge Runner
    10:49 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

SNH… Hey bud, I think I’m calling it a night. I don’t recall in the years I have been with KSR the number, I mean huge number of trolls on this site recently. Guarentee the majority of these whiners are troll-related.

44. StLCat
    10:49 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

17 your right on. I’m proud to be a UK fan!! Go Big Blue!

45. RealCatsFan
    10:51 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

33, well I guess that shoots down the theory that some of the trolls toss out there saying that Cal just goes out and buys all of his players. If that’s the case, how did he miss on Bennett and Shabazz? But more to the point – Stacey Poole should have been one of those glue guys, but he didn’t develop and decided to transfer. Hood never developed into the kind of player many expected (keep in mind that many UK fans were complaining that Cal ignored the Kentucky kids, and wanted Hood). Wiltjer is a 4 year player. Beckham never really developed either. Now I will admit that some of that is on Cal – he should have played some of those kids a lot more when UK had big leads late in the game. Cal kind of set himself up behind the 8-ball, because he needs to maximize playing time for his starters to get those kids used to playing together. i have to wonder if this year will make him rethink his recruiting strategy and try to get some players who will hang around longer than one year.

46. Jerk
    10:52 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Y’all da bigges bunch acry baby’s i’s eva seen

47. Jerk
    10:54 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Indiana sucks

48. Real talk
    10:56 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Stacey Poole can’t even see the floor for Georgia tech!!

49. Bob Knight left Testy
    10:58 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

17, Ridge you beeen here as long as any other I’ve known and I agree with you….Screw all you freaking gloom and doom bitches….You want to bitch? how ’bout going back a few years when we had Clyde. I love being a part of BBN but I hafta admit some of you “Trolls” “Bitches” really suck…..No I mean you all really SUCK! Go Root for F-cking IU if you want to root for a team that’ll fold like a napkin in the NCAA’s

50. swimuk
    11:01 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

#40….YEP about says it all! This team can loose to anyone and can beat anyone on any given night. It’s that simple. We don’t have a veteran (Miller), we don’t have three guys that went to the F4 the year before (Lamb and Jones and Miller)and we certainly don’t have a O player of AD’s caliber or a D player of MKG’s caliber. There you have it. I will admit however, the only guy even remotely close to having the ability to go pro is Noel. Even with potential has a factor.

51. Al's IndiCats
    11:06 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

33, you hafta take the bad with the good, we won it all last year, I can take a down year with Cal….If you can not…. Root for another team. Just try to get a buch of egos together like he did last year.

52. coolhandluke
    11:13 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

#33-Cal did this on purpose. He could have had all those guys you mentioned but then we just run the table again and what fun is that for all the other D1 teams. Have to give em a shot every once in awhile

53. Ouch
    11:37 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

This team looks like it will make the FINAL 4 !!! OF THE NIT.

54. Eric
    11:38 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Questioning a team’s performance is not the same as being a “bandwagon fan”. I’ve been a UK fan my whole life, and I have some legitimate concerns with this team. I like Poythress, the guy is an amazing talent, but I just don’t see him developing any sort of offensive game. He has ONE MOVE! Drive right, along the baseline, and bully your way to the basket. Until he can start handling the ball and prove he can go left, teams will shut down the right side and force him into a charge or turnover. Goodwin’s in the same boat, another amazing talent but he just doesn’t get it. And I’m not blaming Cal, clearly he’s coaching his butt off, but the kids just aren’t buying in this year, for whatever reason. Last year not only spoiled us fans, but I think it spoiled the program as well. These kids thought they could just come in, “grow” as a team as the season went along, be showed with praise and adoration, then pick up their national championship rings on their way to the NBA. They’re figuring out that it’s not that easy. Sure, last years team had a ton of talent, but they also worked like crazy and played as a team. I just don’t see that same fire from some of these guys.

55. mike
    11:41 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Amen #41, that should be posted 1st everytime. Go Cats, Great WIN

56. CaliCat
    12:40 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

41 is correct. Enjoy the sight of your team winning and step away from the edge.

57. Wildcatsteeler
    3:00 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

This team won’t even make the tournament, simple as that. Florida will sweep us. At least 6 more loses coming. And that’s being optimistic. Heartless team with virtually no basketball IQ. Other than Noel.

58. putinrichie
    6:17 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

51 – Its funny how anyone who criticizes the team or CAL is told to root for another team. I can take the bad with the good too and CAL is the best in the business. That said, he’s not immune to criticism. Hopefully he learns from this season.

54 – Its more than just buying in and gelling as a team. While that is very important, this team is not on the same level talent, experience, or depth wise as any of CAL’s previous Kentucky teams. Next year that might be different, but again the challenge to CAL will be bringing back some of the guys from this years team.

59. Beavis
    6:34 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

Anyone else notice that when Mays drives to the basket and pulls it back out that he made a good decision and when Goodwin goes 1 on 4 down the middle and throws up an air ball,,,,it is also a good decision according to Dykes. I am confused. I like Goodwin but late in the game with a small lead,,,,we need someone in the game that makes better decisions.

60. Some Guy in Kentucky
    9:33 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

Has UK lost a game on the road since Cal has been there that the fans did not run on the floor after the game? I hope that the whole UK team understands the environment they will be in.

61. whodat
    10:40 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

I posted after the A&M loss thats its time to just relax and lower expectations for this team but FWIW this is my take:
    – Our player with the biggest heart and best motor has one of the poorest offensive skill sets in the rotation: Noel
    – Our player who is the best physical specimen has the worst motor in the rotation: Poythress
    – Our most important player in the rotation missed the first part of the season and is only now finding a groove: Harrow
    – Our best overall offensive threat is also the least athletic player in the rotation: Wiltjer
    – Our best slasher cannot see the floor nor can he pass the ball efficiently: Goodwin
    – One of the best raw athletes in the rotation has the worst basketball skill set: Cawley-Stein
    – We have no lock down defender
    – and then there is Mays

They will be better come March but the expectations for this group were way too high to start the campaign.

62. dubowski
    3:39 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

Anyone else feel (maybe just a little bit) that Cal is throwing his players under the bus and not taking responsiblity at all. I mean, its HIS team; he recruited these kids. Every kid responds differently to different coaching approaches. Maybe cal is just missing with all of them. (Except Noel and Cauley IMO) And constantly telling the media, that its the players fault, the players arent “buying in”, probably doesnt make them want to “buy in”. I’m sure theres truth in whatever cal says is the problem, but you cant put all the blame on the kids.