Calipari Has Three New SEC Teams in Mind

in

John Calipari weighed in on the issue of SEC expansion talk today, giving his notion of what the future of the conference should be. According to Calipari, the best plan for the SEC includes adding three new teams to the mix, Missouri, Maryland and Virginia Tech. He believes that eventually there will be four super-conferences and he likes the idea of a 16 that includes these three schools:

“I don’t think this stuff is done yet,” Calipari said. “I’ve said for months that there may be four conferences with 16 or 18 teams each. But I can tell you that the SEC at 13, 14 or 16 is going to be stable. We’re fine. If they’re going to add, I’d like us to go and get Virginia Tech, Maryland and Missouri to go along with Texas A&M. We’re not going to do anything at the expense of academics. You’re also going to see basketball step up in the next five years in the SEC.”

Calipari was the first person I heard suggesting that such moves were imminent and they have advanced on a timetable that is even quicker than he initially imagined. Whether we end up with four mega-conferences or five decent conferences and the Big East remains to be seen. But it is clear where Calipari would like to see the SEC headed and if the conference could pick up those three, I am behind it. All three would be fair to good football additions, but more importantly for me, all three have decent to very good basketball capabilities (especially Maryland). That should count for something and is almost certainly part of the reason Calipari floated those names today.

Article written by Matt Jones

34 Comments for Calipari Has Three New SEC Teams in Mind

1. Mr Schwump
    7:04 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

WAKE UP!!!! BASKETBALL DOESN’T MATTER, AND SHOULDN’T, IN CONFERENCE EXPANSION! DAMN PEOPLE!!

2. CATastrophe
    7:05 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Calipari, Calipari!

3. mocha
    7:05 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

No I don’t have a gun

4. mocha
    7:08 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

1 – darkness is a harsh term, don’t you think?

5. Mr Schwump
    7:16 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

You idiots need to come off Calipari’s sweaty teat and demand better football! That’s where the money is.

6. Shelby
    7:16 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife ’cause theys a gray haired tortouse on da loose

7. Lex07
    7:17 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Hey Matt, what does basketball have to do with expansion? Rick Pitino has the same problem with his insane ideas about the Big East.

8. Goode
    7:23 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Basketball does matter!! If 4 conference can make up 75% of ncaa tourney, the ncaa will no longer have rights to the money. 90% of ncaa revenue comes from march madness tv contract, why would these super conferences allow that? These 64 schools can make it work and need good basketball teams to make this happen

9. Goode
    7:26 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

We r talking $800m+ for madness tv coverage? Why would this not be important?

10. I dont like you
    7:27 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

5) I dont like you. you throw a fit about writers on the site, you throw a fit about matt, and now you are throwing a fit because they posted a small story that is relative to this blog in two ways. 1. ITS DEALING WITH UK AND THE SEC. 2. ITS A QUOTE FROM THE HEAD COACH AT UK. Im not sure how much more relevant a post would need to be to get two paragraphs on this site. You sir, and just the worst kind of person. Why do you get on the site on a daily basis and just throw the biggest tit fits that I have ever seen? Does that make your day worthwhile?

11. RidgeRunner
    7:29 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

I have to admit that I’m a old school geographical nut and well….Maryland is a stretch to say southeast. Missou may push the envelope as well.

Kentucky / Virgina is as far north as I wanna go in my mapquest state of mind…LOL

12. RidgeRunner
    7:32 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

The again…hell…Texas is southwest…-so screw it. whatever.

13. Dr. Wildcat
    7:39 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Not a chance that VA Tech or Maryland join the SEC. The ACC made certain of that with their ridiculous buy-out clause they added this year.

14. The Truth
    7:43 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

We have too many hick UK fans that just don’t get. Basketball does not matter when it comes to expansion. Cal’s opinion is worthless on this matter. Rant over, Cal ball washers can now go back to putting their heads in Cal’s lap.

15. ShelbyCounty
    7:43 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

11. Agree I wish the S E C would consider FL State and GA Tech. No problem at all with VA Tech. All would be good football and basketball additions while keeping it South. Missouri should be in the Big 10 especially since their neighbors Iowa, Illinois and now Nebraska are all there.

16. ShelbyCounty
    7:45 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

13. I forgot about the buyout clause…that is ridiculous

17. RidgeRunner
    7:54 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

The dude on the right side of that picture with the hair………..damn. Thats all I can say…damn.

18. Han
    8:00 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Well, it’d cost a lot to snag both the ACC schools with the new conference buyout, but it’d be fun to add Mizzou, The Terps and VaTech.

14) Yeah, it’s not like VaTech and Mizzou were on tons of people’s lists for most likely to get an invite. Not like that at all.

19. Demarcus Cousins
    8:12 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

I’m Mr. Double/Double.

20. CaliUKFan
    8:38 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

lol at #6

21. Doron aka Cold Buckets
    9:11 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

that hair is unreal.

22. srsly
    9:27 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Wasn’t there a buyout penalty for A&M, but they don’t have to pay it? I thought those were just threats, kind of like an athletes 7 year contract when he gets cut after 2 years.

23. Danny
    9:44 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Is that a more hip Captain Kangaroo?

24. scott
    9:58 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

UVa would be making a gigantic mistake in leaving the ACC to go to the SEC, would be detrimental to the majority of the teams in its athletic department. Only thing it would help is basketball. There is also the whole academic thing…

25. Justified
    10:04 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

Nice photo for this article. I always wondered what happened to Captain Kangaroo.

26. Holden McGroin
    10:13 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

man, i hope that dude’s hair is a result of photoshop. Tell me why anyone would want to look that way. Never mind, i don’t get the tattoo thing either, but at least hair can be cut.

27. Han
    11:26 pm September 27, 2011 Permalink

24) UVA is not VaTech.

28. everyone
    12:06 am September 28, 2011 Permalink

holy jesus christ the man with the white hair is absolutely terrifying. thumbs down for maryland.

29. Jimbo
    12:21 am September 28, 2011 Permalink

No team is going to leave the ACC, thats a dead end. I would like to see the SEC get Missouri, West Virginia and Louisville (the Big East needs to die). As much as I hate them, Louisville would make a good addition to the SEC. They add good basketball program, it makes since geographically and the UK-UofL rivelry would become bigger than Duke-UNC.

30. Holden McGroin
    7:21 am September 28, 2011 Permalink

just to see comments

31. Walsh is Gay
    12:57 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

Matt, did you post this just so you could use that picture?

32. Walsh is Gay
    1:07 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

If I could just pick any teams I wanted, I’d say Georgia Tech, WVU and Memphis/MIZZ. I know two of those probably aren’t up to snuff academically, but it’d add another basketball powerhouse in Memphis or decent football/basketball combo in MIZZ; an SEC-sized fanbase in Tech(which spreads its alumni fingers all over the place, Tech grads migrate like crazy and that can only help the SEC); and WVU, a strong basketball/football add-on.

What I don’t understand is why, if the SEC wanted to expand so badly that it’d take Texas A&M, that it didn’t just go after the real big fish and pull in Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Wisky, teams like that? I’m sure there’s a very good reason that I don’t know, but hell they’re talking about Missouri, which is hardly Southeast. May as well get Texas, too.

33. .
    2:37 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

34. JimmyChitwood
    5:13 pm September 28, 2011 Permalink

#14 is on point. The delusion of some UK fans who think Calipari has any influence on SEC decision-making is laughable. He is a basketball coach in a league that doesn’t give a rat’s a$$ about basketball! No one in the SEC will give his opinion one second of thought. Get real.