Calipari explains his nontraditional way of scheduling

If you’re still upset over Kentucky dropping non-conference games against Indiana and North Carolina next season, take a minute out of your miserable Monday morning to read Calipari’s explanation about why it happened. Cal said Kentucky is a nontraditional program needing a nontraditional schedule, and there are three factors he and his staff have to consider when building the schedule:

(1) “Preparing our players for the postseason.”

(2) “Our fans.”

(3) “The financial component.”

So start thinking nontraditionally and everything will be just fine.

[Coach Cal.com: Forming a nontraditional schedule for a nontraditional team]

Article written by Drew Franklin

17 Comments for Calipari explains his nontraditional way of scheduling

1. rjr
    9:23 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

Best picture ever on this site.

2. manbearpig
    9:29 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

that pic is full of so much win

3. tltaworl
    10:01 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

Good enough for me. If we keep getting #1 seeds and final four trips I don’t care if we play Hawaii in London or IU at Rupp. Get us #9!

4. TheUK_fan
    10:06 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

Ok I’ve always like Calipari and trusted in him, but only 10 home games in a season really sucks for the fan but I guess he doesn’t care because he knows fans will pay for the trip and travel but don’t listen to the fans we shouldn’t have an opinion because we have ever coached. I guess it’s a good thing we didn’t build that new stadium. Is this any longer Kentucky’s team? I’m of sure sounds like we are a unconventional team which means we get the honor of playing everywheres else except Kentucky. I really hope everything works out.

5. Elton John
    10:09 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

hold me closer tiny dancer…

6. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    10:16 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

I have said this for some time–this is all great but when Cal decides to leave we are going to take a big hit. KIds will leave and make hard for the next coach to rebuild and the schedule will be one that is hard for them to manage. Enjoy it while we can because there will be a couple lean years when he leaves. Think if he took a job elsewhere this year. Look at the roster and schedule and ask how well a new coach would do. Just saying.

7. Southern Illinois Cat Fan
    10:25 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

We just won #8 and some of you people are already bitching about home games, recruiting, Cal’s thought process, etc. Give it a break, we won number 8, he did it in three years, final four in two, number one recruiting class every year. What the hell do you people want. I thought I was a crazy UK fan but some on here take the cake. I’m a cardinals fan too, and everybody thought it was the end of the world when Pujols left. Well, the cards are in first, the angels suck, and pujols is playing like a girl from a league of their own. Get a grip!

8. enes
    10:26 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

It feels like Coach Cal is trying to explain why he’s doing what he’s doing. No need coach, your way is working, keep it up.

9. jacob
    10:47 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

a bennett had a chance to improve his draft stock and he blew it.. terrible decision

10. Alan
    10:49 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

^ Dude who cares about baseball

11. BIGBLUEDAVE
    11:09 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

#5, He says we will still have 19-20 games in Rupp.

12. best1978
    11:55 am May 7, 2012 Permalink

I read the reasons and get them but I am highly disappointed IU didn’t agree to neutral sites. Apparently they don’t see the need for playing in big places before split crowds because they are just not used to playing in the NCAA tournament.

13. Bledsoe's Biceps
    12:09 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

I’m not a season ticket holder and only get to go to one or two games a year in Rupp, so I don’t have a horse in the race, but….Do season ticket holders and donors agree they should be happy to accept a neutral site game as if it were a Rupp home game? Are they happy to accept another cupcake game in Rupp in place of IU, UNC or Louisville? Personally, I wouldn’t accept that for the money it takes to be a season ticket holder.

As #7 says, Cal’s model is successful, until he leaves. This 90% – 100% one and gone recruiting model seems to be driving his need to change the schedule. With that, it appears Cal is trying to downplay the importance of tradition and what it means. Cal’s recruiting and his success with it has been non-traditional. But the tradition of this program was here long before him and it will be here long after him.

Do we need to start asking if there shouldn’t be a better balance of one & done guys, along with 2-4 year guys who can actually contribute. ie. Not 2-4 year practice players. Are the fans and the program really served best by leaving the cupboard bare, after each season?

14. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    2:13 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

my god, that pic is beautiful

15. BPsycho
    6:02 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

“If you’re still upset over Kentucky dropping non-conference games against Indiana and North Carolina next season, take a minute out of your miserable Monday,

to realize he just won a championship, and that you should take your issues and shove em!”

lol

16. BPsycho
    6:08 pm May 7, 2012 Permalink

#8 My bad, I didn’t read your post before posting mine. I agree with you about 1000%