Calipari explains his Big Blue Madness comment

If you saw ESPN’s All-Access Kentucky last night, you probably caught Calipari’s “I hate this stuff” comment before the team was introduced at Big Blue Madness. Some of you may have been upset when you heard it; others understood what he meant. But, just to be safe, Calipari jumped on his Twitter machine this morning to make sure everyone is on the same page and understands that he loves Madness, but hates the scrimmage.

With a team of superstars but very little depth, you can’t blame the guy for dreading an intersquad scrimmage.

He loves Madness, it’s one of his Kentucky’s best recruiting tactics.

Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

39 Comments for Calipari explains his Big Blue Madness comment

1. OK
    10:26 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

I thought it was obvious what he hated about madness.

Esp with the board indicating not hard contact, etc.

2. OK
    10:26 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

Oh yeah. 1st.

3. Jones Returns
    10:28 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

I was waiting for something to break about that comment…I knew what he meant, but figured the rest of BBN would get their panties in a wod

4. MKG Fan
    10:33 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

So is UL getting shady with our recruits in order to make it difficult for them to get cleared to play?

5. Poythress Is A Beast
    10:33 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

The scrimmage is my favorite part.

6. tom
    10:36 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

I’m glad he clarified it. I guess I wasn’t smart enough to gauge what he really meant at the time. Just goes to show, one has to be careful forming an opinion based on what you see on TV. Producers can edit things in such a way as to suggest almost anything.

7. Rick
    10:36 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

Cal can hate whatever he wants. Just Win!

8. Roofus Howls
    10:41 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

I’ll also lay even money his wife said, “What do you mean I’ll get on to you for leaving a 75 cent glad container on the airplane?”

That part craked me up. Wives – they’re all sisters…

9. AylortheImpaler
    10:44 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

Does anyone know if they are going to air it again or where I can watch it?

10. Big Whoop
    10:44 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

I can understand why he might hate everything about madness, but he also understands what a huge PR stunt it is.

#4….what are you talking about? Please clarify.

11. Bob Loblaw
    10:44 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

I agreed with everything Cal said about BBM. I love that our fans go crazy over it and the introductions, but I don’t care about watching a glorified practice.

12. BBNFaithful
    10:47 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

We cannot afford any inuries, ever… We are not going to be more than 6-7 players deep in any given season. I agree with Cal. But it sucks because we play Maryland and Duke in our first 2 games and I feel like our young team won’t be ready. I watched Duke’s practice on ESPNU and they looked like they were ready for games already. Noel just got on campus 2 or 3 weeks ago. I can’t stand the thought of losing to DUKE, even if its in a meaningless early season game. CANT STAND IT!

13. AWAT
    10:53 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

If you know the game, you know what he meant.

14. Carl
    10:54 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

I heard the comment and I took it in context to the scrimmage. You’ve got kids running up and down the court to show their stuff, there is always a possibility for injury. Anyone remember the Parker kid the got hurt during warm ups for midnight madness a few years ago?

15. RealCatsFan
    11:02 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

#12, I couldn’t stand losing to IU last year either, especially the way it happened, but they did us a favor. That loss, and the publicity after it, lit a fire under our kids that burned all the way through the tournament. An early season loss to Duke, if it were to happen, would be unpalatable but it would harden our kids for battle.

16. Common Sense
    11:14 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

Anyone with half a brain knew what he meant by that comment!

17. Mr. T's Mohawk
    11:15 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

12. Actually, Noel got here just before the Fall semester started. He’s been on campus for about two months.

18. UKSWAG
    11:20 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

Of course you are going to have those stupid fans that are going to ask Cal about it on twitter/facebook when they truly know ESPN edited that way.

19. BossHogg
    11:40 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

I’ve followed Cal since he first started posting messages on twitter. This is the first time I’ve felt he’s not speaking the truth. The Cats ‘scrimmage’ EVERYDAY in practice!!! I think Cal really hates the dancing, the laser light show and the fact is “we talkin’ ’bout practice”.

20. TylerH
    11:40 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

I am 100% confident America would be a much better place if people like Lane, Rece, and Michael from Dallas were president.

21. dowhatudo
    11:45 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

Coach you dont have to explain yourself to us just keep on doin what you are doin!

22. MattD
    11:53 am October 18, 2012 Permalink

If I was Cal I’d probably hate madness. My guess is he actually hates all the hoopla and everything about BBM and hates dealing with it every year. I also doubt the fans care that he hates it.

23. Big Blue Coming at You
    12:38 pm October 18, 2012 Permalink

I think it’s sad that Cal has to explain himself to the numbnuts of our fan base that get all up in arms over nothing. Common sense tells you he hates the scrimmage part of it because he doesn’t want anyone to get hurt.

24. stan
    12:51 pm October 18, 2012 Permalink

Who can blame him if he does hate it? When Nerlen fell at the outside court can you imagine if he had hurt himself? People would be all over Cal for letting the players play around with the fans. A no win situation for him. Keep doing what your doing! GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!

25. They love us
    12:52 pm October 18, 2012 Permalink

#9. ESPN is loving UK right now. The show was on 4 times yesterday between ESPN and ESPN2. Probably showed up on the U as well. I’m sure it will be on again

26. AaronJ
    1:32 pm October 18, 2012 Permalink

I didn’t like hearing that but shortly after I understood where he was coming from. If I was a coach I’d hate to deal with all of that and risk injuring his players before the season even began.

27. brb
    1:36 pm October 18, 2012 Permalink

those people upset cant be real fans…..keep the train rollin coach cal!!!!!! everybody else get out the way or get RUN OVER!!!!! luv this years team

28. tom
    2:06 pm October 18, 2012 Permalink

16. Glad you are so smart. Thank you for letting us know how together you are.

29. drewsster02
    2:17 pm October 18, 2012 Permalink

I mentioned in one of last night’s posts that I felt he said it because of the possibilities of injuries. I thought he was going to say that on camera, but I figured he was a bit superstitious and wasn’t going to say “don’t get hurt” before they went out there. I can understand Cal’s point. Big Blue Madness is a show and our players that have never experienced that environment may be tempted to show-off in a way that they would not do so during a game. Recently, I felt they have really toned it down with the dunk contest, because someone might try something that could get them hurt. The event itself is a display rather than a true game, and players treat it that way. Remember Jason Parker getting hurt for horsing around in the locker room prior to BBM? One mistake during BBM could result in a big injury. Not that I’m opposed to the event, I love seeing the team and the excitement that it creates. It’s great for our fans to get seats, that they can’t get during games. But it doesn’t hurt to be cautious. Personally, I would not “scrimmage” in the theatrical lighting either.

30. John
    2:44 pm October 18, 2012 Permalink

Gee, The scrimmage is the only part I cans stand to watch anymore, not being a fan of Hip Hop music festivals.

31. blueballer
    3:39 pm October 18, 2012 Permalink

Thank you for your text version of a Condescending Wonka… absolutely essential to the conversation.

32. blueballer
    3:41 pm October 18, 2012 Permalink

@28, by the way…

33. common sense
    3:45 pm October 18, 2012 Permalink

Tom, tell me more about how you contributed to the conversation!

34. slappy
    4:22 pm October 18, 2012 Permalink

I’d ventury to say most fans don’t really like the scrimmage portion of the show either… I’d rather see them play some real ball too.

35. zo
    10:58 pm October 18, 2012 Permalink

People need to chill out alittle,the man doesn’t have to explain himself.What else does it mean?If he didn’t care about our program or his legacy,or our program he wouldn’t be putting in so much hard work.Players first program,he has to protect these young kids.He’s the greatest thing that has ever happened to us in years.I want to thank you Coach Cal for all you do for us.Thankyou and your staff for bringing us back to where we belong.National contenders every year.So, i’m so ready for this year.I do beleive it may be rough in the beginning,but the formula is in place for another championship run once again.Once these young fellas believe in one another the sky is the limit.I believe, do you?GO CATS!!!!!!!!!

36. Rick
    4:37 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

#5 Then, you might really enjoy the BLUE – WHITE game. I love it.

37. Rick
    5:56 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

Get along, brothers & sisters. The fututre is bright. And we’re all CATS here! Not like it’s a bunch of jealous UL fans that follow our team more than they do their own team. We’re leaving everyone in our dust. Let’s enjoy it, children.

38. Rick
    5:56 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

!

39. Rick
    5:58 pm October 19, 2012 Permalink

Number nine, number nine, number nine…