Skip to content

Kentucky Sports Radio

University of Kentucky Basketball, Football, and Recruiting news brought to you in the most ridiculous manner possible.

Calipari and Jahlil Okafor had a great talk last night


Jahlil Okafor is the number one player in the 2014 class. He’s also half of one of the most impressive package deals in recent memory, along with Tyus Jones, who many rank 2nd or 3rd in the class. While many think that Okafor and Jones are a Duke lean so far, Jason Jordan says not so fast. Our favorite recruiting guru tweeted some tidbits from his talk with Okafor last night which may mean the Cats are making their move for the talented center.

Okafor told Jordan that he had a “great conversation” with John Calipari last night, and that he is very close with Karl Towns, who has already committed to the Cats. Is the fact that he might have to compete with Towns for play time a deterrent? Absolutely not. Okafor said that competition for playing time is more of an attraction than a deterrent to him, so don’t count the Cats out just yet.

Both Okafor and Jones plan to trim their lists soon and will announce their decisions in the fall.

Article written by Mrs. Tyler Thompson

No, I will not make you a sandwich, but you can follow me on Twitter @MrsTylerKSR or email me.

19 Comments for Calipari and Jahlil Okafor had a great talk last night

  1. Jordan
    1:32 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

    Even though I’d rather have Mudiay, is getting Tyus Jones better because I think he can be staying around longer than a year. I just don’t believe Jones looks/acts/plays like a one & done, just based on the highlight videos. Mudiay looks like a monster PG

  2. AgreeWith#1
    1:35 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

    I’d rather have Mudiay. Jones is not physically imposing at all. He’s a dookie for sure.

  3. Spenser
    1:43 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

    I wonder if Cal has him convinced to team up with Mudiay? Mudiay, Booker, Johnson, Towns, Okafor would be a nice lineup. I place Towns at the 4 because I like his range and ability to pull defenders away from the basket. I imagine this team could look similar to the championship Mavericks team which featured Dirk/Tyson Chandler.

  4. Musehobo
    1:48 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

    After posting last week that I thought getting the package deal was a “no-brainer” over getting Mudiay, I was surprised to hear both Matt and Ryan agree they’d take Mudiay. Furthermore, it seems most fans would rather have him too. I’d still say take the package deal, but…I don’t know jack.

    1:55 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

    Towns would be great as an offensive 4, but he will not be able to guard pf’s. Cal has a ton of options, and can let the ones that commit first shape his plan.

    C-Towns commited

    PG-Jones C-Okafor package
    and one of these 2

    1:57 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

    Mudiay is more of a Cal type guy in lieu of his size and athleticism, but Jones could be really special if he’s surrounded by good scoring options.

  7. rainingblood
    2:03 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

    raining blood uk fb intro…good day

  8. why not?
    2:05 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

    do you think Cal could be trying to split this package deal? after all they said it was only a 99% chance they go to together, if there’s one person I’d give that 1% to it’d be Cal, that’s certainly enough for him. I think a Mudiay-Okafor combo would be the best of the three and that might be what he’s going for. it’s good to dream right?

  9. Mike
    2:07 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

    @4 I think we learned how crucial I big guard who can effectively attack the rim is to our offense. Not saying tyus would flop like harrow did, and we’d more than happy to have all three, but we are better off having a strong attacking pg than a pass first one and an elite big man. I would cite out 2011 final four season an compare it to this year and the Gillespie years. We could have the best big man in the country but we struggle without that threat at pg. In 2011, we didnt have the elite post presence but we faired better because knight could get buckets. My point is we need a pg who can slash to the rim for our offense to run smoothly. If jones came, then he could stay 2 years and improve on that, but mudiay can do that now.

  10. Rockfield, KY
    2:13 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

    4. The fact that you admit that, means that you actually know more than most people on here.

  11. Says me
    2:39 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

    #2- Is Chris Paul more physically imposing than John Wall? Who would you take out of those 2?

    I understand that it’s natural for people to look at a skinny 6’1″ PG without obvious explosive athletic ability and prefer the guy who’s 6’4″, built like a football player, and throws down dunks left and right. However, don’t ignore the fact that Jones has been the best, or close to the best, player on the floor almost every single game he’s ever played in. Some guys have athletic gifts that aren’t as readily apparent. Some guys are just naturally great players, as opposed to naturally great athletes. Jones would seem to fit that category.

    Mudiay seems more likely to come to UK, and I’ll take that and be very happy, but I think a lot of people are missing the boat on Jones. There are a LOT of reasons scouts could drop him in the ratings, and yet that hasn’t happened. In fact, they continue to rave about him. That fact says volumes about just how good a player he is.

  12. Shawn
    2:40 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

    They said we would never get Wall and Bledsoe on same team either. Mudiay and Jones can both play point and shooting guard. They would be interchangeable just like Wall and Bledsoe. Yeah Mudiay said he wanted to play point and he could, and so could Jones. Mudiay, Jones, Town, Okafor….wow. Those are likely the top 4 players In the country next year. Lyles Is getting the press put on him by UL and he Is leaning UL. Alexander can be ours If we want him bad enough.

  13. Mr.Art Vandelay
    3:26 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

    As previously stated, Wall and Bledsoe worked well together. Why not all three? Then include Towns and Alexander. I believe we will have some very talented holdovers from this year (Wiltger,Dakari,Lee, Young/Poythress, maybe even WCS considering how much he likes college life) We will be fine regardless but with all these options, SHOOT FOR THE MOON, and try to get Mudiay, Jones and Okafor.

  14. Nerlens
    3:41 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

    Why do people keep bringing up Wall-Bledsoe and act like that is a good example and completely neglect the idea of Towns and Okafor?

    These two guys are both Centers and I don’t think they could play together. Why would they want a timeshare when it is also a strong likelihood that Dakari Johnson is back too. Are those 3 going to split 40 minutes?

  15. CATS
    3:53 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

    In my opinion, I’d rather have Mudiay. To me he looks better than Jones and you can’t forget that this years class has two post players, Johnson and Lee, who are both very good and right now are not expected to be one and done players.
    Mudiay, Johnson/Lee > Jones, Okafor

  16. Says me
    4:42 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

    Mudiay has specifically stated that he will not go to the same school as Jones, so give up on that one. Mudiay is a PG, always has been a PG, and will be a PG in the NBA. He’s not going to play with the only guy in the country who would push him over to 2 guard.

  17. Just Saying
    6:01 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

    The only two people in the package people on here talk about are Jones and Okafor, but Alexander said odds are “7 in 10” that he would join them and Justise Winslow (who won the Texas Player of the Year this year as a JR over the twins and Randle, even though he only played half the year) is also rumored to be part of the package. Sorry, but I would rather have that combo of 4 over Mudiay. Here are the links…

  18. Cody P.
    6:58 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

    Comparing Mudiay and Jones to Bledsoe and Wall won’t work. Mudiay and Jones are by far the two best pg in the class. Bledsoe wasn’t rated nearly as high as them, even though Cal got lucky and he was a late bloomer.

  19. Katbluefan
    3:14 pm May 4, 2013 Permalink

    DO NOT COUNT COACH CAL OUT when it comes to bring any recruit to Lexington to play for the Cats. He has shut down Coach Nose, Old Roy, Slick Rick just to name a few when it comes to the top guys and where they play and he will keep doing it as long as the NBA has their stupid one and done rule.