Cal watched Ryan Skovranko yesterday

While you were judging people’s outfits on the Oscars last night (what was Anne Hathaway thinking??), Cal was in Pennsylvania watching 2014 SF Ryan Skovranko. Skovranko is 6-8, 200 lbs. and has received interest from Wisconsin, West Virginia, Pitt, Miami (FL), Virginia Tech and Iowa, among others.

Watch him work:

22 Comments for Cal watched Ryan Skovranko yesterday

1. BAC05
    4:17 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

Judging by who Cal and Coach A are looking into, it seems they are trying to build a group of 2-3 year kids to go alongside our blue chips.

2. Laker Cat 18
    4:24 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

1. You may be right. Seem to be looking at some under the radar recruits lately. Considering the possibility of future injuries maybe?

We’re looking at #5 right? He doesn’t look 6’8″.

3. lil c
    4:31 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

Kinda hard to judge how good the kid is when he’s playing against what looks like middle school kids!! He looks average, or maybe a little better than average. A role player for sure.I agree with #1.

4. LIL JON
    4:38 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

OKAYYY!

5. I Say
    4:44 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

He is not listed on any of the major scouting services.

6. I Say
    4:45 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

Rivals has a profile but zero info on him

7. Austin
    4:52 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

I think the message Calipari is selling has changed though. Before, he was mostly selling that this was the best place to play to reach the NBA. With how big of a deal we are now, everyone wants to play here. He can get almost any kid he wants now. He can still sell the top flight guys on the NBA, but he can now find some really talented kids that want to play for what is on the front of the Jersey. The best is yet to come.

8. RealCatsFan
    5:02 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

Looks like he could be a good multi-year player for us. Decent hops, and I like the way he uses the glass on a lot of his shots – that’s becoming a bit of a lost art!

9. lonnieb
    5:05 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

@7Austin

Not trying to be rude or anything…..or doubt that after a few years or even a year here being treated like rock stars that the players don’t leave loving UK and Lexington…….but please don’t think that any player not from the state of Kentucky gives a crap about the name on the jersey. That goes for all schools. These players are making whatever decision is best for them and their careers. Even the lower star players in high school have dreams of nba. People on here need to quit acting like they need to respect the school and jersey etc……we need them more then they need us…..period. So i think the fans shouldn’t make it about themselves or the school and support the team regardless of how anything plays out.

10. BAC05
    5:10 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

At #7, while I appreciate your optimism, I highly doubt any kid now-a-days wants to play for a specific team, because of it’s tradition and glory, save for a Kentucky kid. Cal hasn’t changed his message that this school is an NBA factory, he’s wants a little depth in case we don’t have a ridiculously good year recruiting, as we have this year.

(Notice I didn’t say this year was a bad recruiting year, because regardless of the outcome, we couldn’t have had the types of recruits that we have this year if we’d have tubby or billy.)

11. WKYblue
    5:24 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

I agree with #1 and #2. I think this is a great strategy too. Also this kid is from Cal’s area. I respect him for that too. We want the kids from Kentucky kids to do well. He should want to give back to where he’s from also. I don’t think Cal would recruit somebody that can’t contribute somewhere down the line.

12. fishersblue
    5:59 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

I think it’s a great strategy IF the 3-4 year guys have the talent/skill to contribute at a high level. There’s a difference between Patrick Patterson, Darius Miller, Kyle Wiltjer and perhaps a kid who can’t develop into a solid contributor.

The idea of surrounding 1-done with 3-4 year players is fantastic. They just need to be a little more talented than, say, Twany Beckham

13. program
    6:00 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

While I understand a program needs good players to excel, I don’t buy recruits are bigger than the university. I think the coach is the most important aspect attributed to getting top rated players. However, with the resources we provide at this university we are second to none in college hoops. They need us also.

14. Here we go now
    6:05 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

I like what I see. plus that mix is a yr old. Long, good athletically, already has the runner in the offensive tools, quick jumper, can finish after contact despite slender build, willing passer, efficient. Good form on jumper.

15. Austin
    6:41 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

I am not saying Cal is going to get the Five Star kids to stay around. I am just saying that playing for Kentucky is a BIG deal again. If he wants, he can find some talented four star types that will be good for the program for multiple years.

16. Lil c
    7:19 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

Cal might be setting some other coaches up. Has anyone thought of that. Recruiting is a game. Once big name schools find out coach Cal is checking this kid out, others will follow!! While they’re occupied watching this kid, Cal is free to go after the kids he REALLY wants! But.. If he picks up one or two of these role player type kids along the way, that’s just a bonus for Cal. Just my opinion.

17. WKYblue
    7:43 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

#13 I agree that no recruit is bigger than UK. #16 I’ve thought the same thing. Cal’s attention to a recruit brings others out of the woodwork. Zylan Cheatman or whatever his name is? Under the radar until Cal shows interest. He also may do that to bring attention to these kids to help them get recruited for a friend or family member. I have no problem with that. Good for the kid n glad Cal would do that.

18. adolph oliver bush
    8:31 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

Looks like the writers read the LHL and repeat it. Never thought I’d get UK news quicker from a crap paper than from ksr

19. Tom Blevins
    9:44 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

He’s very versatile, can do a bit of everything. He has the potential to be a good college player. He must put on some muscle or else play the 3 in college. if he were to put on aboutm 20 pounds, he might not be as quick. I like his passing skills and his jump shot. He runs the floor well. Bottom line, if Coach Cal wants to offer him, I trust his judgement.

20. Clay Tate
    10:28 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

Cal needs to sign this dude. You can tell he has that will to win that a lot of our frosh this year are just now developing. He has a nice jumper and great touch….and if he really is 6’8″ then that is an incredible package. This is the type of guy who gets hot and drops 30.

21. Spenser
    10:56 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

I’m hoping that Cal is starting to look into some more 3-4 year players who can contribute. I think a player like Derek Willis in this year’s class could be that type of player. Also, I would like to see some players who will come in and redshirt; take a year to develop their bodies, their game, become familiar with Cal and his system. I hope Willis will do that next year. With (hopefully) WCS, Wiltjer, Lee, and Dakari (maybe Randle) we will be loaded at the 4-5. Willis redshirts, then he becomes a solid contributor for the next 4 years. A player or 2 like that every year would be great
    End Rant

22. Gene Poole
    11:31 am February 26, 2013 Permalink

=== I’m in a quandry …….

Just what is this lads ethnicity ? I mean ……. it doeesn’t matter …….

I ‘m guessing one parent was RUSSIAN/ POLISH ….. the other ?

Gene POOLE wants to know ……

====