Cal visited Dominique Hawkins today

hawkinsrupp

Where in the world was John Calipari today? Richmond to see Madison Central’s Dominique Hawkins (and get some Orange Leaf fro-yo). According to Hawkins’ coach, Allen Feldhaus, Jr., Cal stopped by to see Hawkins and let him know the Cats are still interested in him.

It’s widely understood that at this point, Hawkins is waiting to see if Cal offers him a scholarship before making his decision. His coach has said in the past that Hawkins would only play for a college that gave him a scholarship. He currently has offers from Purdue, South Carolina, Tennessee Tech, Morehead and Western Kentucky. Louisville has offered him a spot as a preferred walk-on. Despite next year’s loaded roster, there still should be room for Hawkins to get a scholarship if Cal wants to make him an offer.

Come on down?

63 Comments for Cal visited Dominique Hawkins today

1. Fancoulo
    5:33 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Would love to have him on next year’s team. Fancoulo you too!

2. Not First
    5:34 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Don’t want to be first.

3. HereWeGo
    5:35 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Add Hawkins and Wiggins and call them The PhenomiNine.

4. blitzedanddazed
    5:38 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

If Hawkins is “DEMANDING” anything from Cal I hope he likes how he looks in a Morehead State uniform.

5. Nathan Blum
    5:39 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Hawkins is a type of kid that will work extremely hard everyday to earn playing time. Super athletic and can score the basketball. I am an alumni of Madison Central and it was a pleasure to come back home to catch a MCHS game the last four years. Really hope that he’s got Kentucky across his chest next year!

6. Bluekzu
    5:44 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Hope we offer. We need some stability with a few guys who will hang around as well as the blue chippers.

7. uk64
    5:50 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think he was demanding anything. Just expressing a financial realty. We want Hawk!

8. J in Orlando
    5:52 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Personally if Cal is that much on the fence with this guy I would rather see him save a scholly for a midseason transfer…players with NBA potential transfer during every season. Nothing against the kid Im sure he will do well wherever but he isnt going to play much for the next 2 two seasons anyway with the guards we likely have coming

9. Roland
    5:56 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Hawkins never demanded Anything from UK.
    basically said, I(Hawkins)need a scholarship but “I’m yours” UK if you want me
    like jason mraz says in this song:

10. seancboy
    5:56 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

we need to get one player each class that is talented enough to play for uk, but needs to stay 3-4 years to be nba ready, THIS KID IS OUR MAN, he can be just as crucial to our team in a couple years as miller was to last years team

11. bosshogg24
    5:57 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Hawkins needs to be patient, no need to rush at all! If he rushes into something he will make a bad mistake! Wait on UK for a month or six weeks or what ever time it takes, it will be worth it!

12. jaaaayyyyy
    5:58 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

8 I think Cal is only “on the fence” because he is waiting to see if both Aaron Gordon and Andrew Wiggins are willing to come and use up those last two schollys. He also maybe waiting to find out if someone is going to transfer from the team. Would you give Dominique a scholly knowing you could lose out on Wiggins or Gordon?

13. bosshogg24
    6:02 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

To J in Orlando, Cal is not on the fence with Hawkins. It all has to do with who is leaving, who is staying and how many scholarships he has to work with. These are questions that no one can answer at the moment including Cal!

14. UK Wildcat

8: Poythress (15 Min)
    9: Lee (15 Min)
    10: Johnson (15 Min)
    11: Wiltjer (10 Min)
    12: Hawkins (5> Min)
    13: Willis (5>Min)

Polson back to walk-on status, Hood graduates and transfers to use his last year of eligibility at a school where he can get playing time.

Just go ahead and hand us #9.

15. UK Wildcat
    6:12 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Oh yeah, and Harrow goes somewhere. Don’t really care where.

16. Syrin
    6:21 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

#14 – You left out Harrow, and I don’t see a scenario where Wiltjer gets 10 minutes. When we needed him the most this year is when he played his worst. BTW, I was the biggest Wiltjer defender on the planet before Nerlens went down.

17. Chris lofton
    6:22 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Not signing me worked out well for you guys. I say let this guy go so he can become an all American somewhere else.

18. gog8ors
    6:22 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

my sources tell me syracuse is interested as well.

19. Michael F. Jox
    6:31 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

He will get an offer once Cal tells Ryan, I think it’s best for all of us if you go elsewhere

20. Dacci
    6:39 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

What I don’t get is that if its no issue about scholarships then why not just go ahead and offer?

21. Simple Math
    6:41 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

14) That looks pretty solid, except for thats 215 minutes before you add in hawkins and willis. Unless you expect every game to go to overtime, just doesn’t add up

22. Drew
    6:43 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Have to think if Hawkins ends up a Cat, Harrow is headed elsewhere. Only way this all makes sense to me.

23. UK Wildcat
    6:44 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Meh, close enough. Cal will find a way. Or Wiltjer can leave.

24. Sean
    6:49 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

It’s really simple. Coach cal went to Madison central to let him know they are still interested because he doesn’t wanna miss out on a Kentucky kid who will be a four year player, that plays with heart…. But I do think he is staying consistent just waiting on wiggins to decide. With that said the day we hear coach offer Hawkins, we will know wiggins wont be coming. I’m really torn myself on who I’d rather have????? Any comments????

25. C'mon
    6:55 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Take Hawkins. Leave wiggins. Lets not forget we are a college institutional and not just a NBA development league

26. scottydee24
    6:56 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

There is no backup accounted for on your list. Before everyone is ready to kick Harrow to the curb, he could be a very effective backup with less pressure on him next year. Polson is a great kid but like Wiltjer, he can’t guard anyone. What I haven’t heard many people discuss is how we couldn’t guard people last year. If this next group doesn’t take more pride on defense we will not be getting number 9 next year.

27. brain
    6:56 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

24-Since we don’t know who’s coming back there’s no way to know if Wiggins has anything to do with a Hawkins offer. Wiggins will be a Cat.

28. Rumor
    6:57 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Hearing Pitino told Hawkins he will likely have a scholarship open up for him. Supposedly, Rick expects Russ Smith to turn pro.

29. RumorCatGrad00
    7:00 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

I’m laughing at UK fans who think Goodwin and Poythress will be back. It’s not going to happen. I also doubt Stein comes back, regardless of what he is saying. Also, Poythress and Cal have a mutual hatred for each other. Matt Jones knows this as well but doesn’t want to rock the boat.

30. Michael F. Jox
    7:04 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

#26 – Are you actually saying that you saw Ryan Harrow guard people this yr? I’d take Polson over Harrow as my backup any day of the week.

31. Sean
    7:05 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

27- do u think cal would really ask harrow to transfer?

32. Are you kidding me
    7:06 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

If Cal doesn’t clean house and make a spot for Hawkins, shame on him!
    The garbage basketball we watched this past season, c’mon Cal!
    Anyone who saw Hawkins at the KHSAA boys sweet 16 is scratching their head.
    Being interested in the kid is a joke. If it was my kid, I would say see ya UK.

33. Lil c
    7:10 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

32…. I agree, Hawkins is a lot better than people think!!!

34. Kevin C.
    7:13 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

@ 31… He doesn’t really have to “ask” him to transfer. If Cal is honest with him, and tells him he wasted every opportunity this year to earn the right to be the starting guard next year…and likely to play more than mop-up minutes…Harrow would be a fool to stay. Not only that, he ultimately reserves the right to pull a scholly from a player deemed not fit or “worthy” of one…especially a transfer like Harrow. Scholarships have to be applied for and “earned” on a year-to-year basis, just like with any other college student.

35. Michael F. Jox
    7:14 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

#31 – I’m not #27, but yep. Maybe not exactly, “ryan, will you transfer?”, but at least a lil hint that it’s best for him to think about it.

36. Buckets
    7:16 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

I’d love to have Hawkins on the team. Come on down!

37. Cat Scan
    7:32 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

I would love yo have Hawkins wearing Blue….I think he’d be in the running for PT next year

38. Ff
    7:33 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

#14 F you. Run dh run. Don’t be stupid. Your not any better than jarrod run!!!

39. Cat Scan
    7:34 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

After all, didn’t he have a pretty high score against the twins this year?

40. brain
    7:50 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

31-No I don’t think he will ask Harrow to leave. I think he’ll tell him like it is and allow Ryan to make his own mind up.

41. backpack
    7:51 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

I’m from Richmond, and I’m not 100% sure on this but I was told friends and family are going to pitch in to pay his way if he doesn’t get a scholly. He will be a cat either way. Not sure if this is legal so I hope they offer him.

42. Shawn
    7:52 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Harrow Is not going anywhere on his own choice. He has already transferred once, so If he were to transfer again he would have to go to Div2 route. Cal will have to run him out of town. That of course I a moot point If we dont get Wiggins. Cal doesnt want Hawkins to play next year, he wants him to practice against next year and play his So/Jr year. I bet Cal wished he would have not offered Willis…I doubt he ever sees the court or offers more than a Jon Hood type role…which we all know Is pretty worthless.

43. Shawn
    7:54 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

41- As long as everyone who pitches In was a friend of the family before he was shown interest by Cal and as long as they are not a booster or an affiliate of UK In anyway…..then Its gravy.

44. you know
    8:16 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

if he goes to uk, he is stupid. he aint bigger or better than anthony hickey and will be just like jarrod. wont play much.

45. Issel's two front teeth
    8:49 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

@44 “He would be stupid”, really!? If you ask Polson, I’m sure he would say, “he is happy with his playing time” I think the success Hickey has had, is a prime reason for Cal to go after Hawkins. We need a quality backup PG, plus he is a Ky boy. Win/Win

46. bluesman
    8:52 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Anyone that wants Hawkins over Wiggins needs to get to a Doctor quick,playing High School ball in Kentucky is no indication how good he is,lets see how he does in the Mcdonalds oh wait he not in it well how about Jordans oh hes not in that game either well Derby Classic? no not in there either people want som 3 and 4 players but want to get rid of those for another Freshman because nhes from in State oh i might ad ive been a UK fan long before most of you on here were borned

47. BG KY Dave
    9:02 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Hawkins, ignore the negativity on these message boards. Look at Jared Polson who got himself some significant minutes this year. You look at Darius Miller, who was a 4 year player and the senior that won a National Championship. Be like Darius and live your dream young man. Boom!

48. Bright
    9:10 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

What 47 said. And, I would like it if Kentucky actually had some Kentucky kids on the team.

49. Estill Co.
    9:39 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

WE WANT KENTUCKY HAWKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

50. In The Know
    9:45 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Hawkins badly wants to be a cat. But if uofl comes up with a scholarship for him, he will not turn it down.

51. Eric K
    9:54 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

WIGGINS WILL BE A WILDCAT! GO CATS!!

52. GP
    10:19 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Wiltjer’s ass has to go or ride the pine from now on either way he was brought here simply because he is white. can’t defend has no offense unless he is wide open and even then was terrible last half of the year.

53. chase
    10:30 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

Hawkins is a player. He will get minutes and IF Harrow comes back, we would not see Harrow play a role in any significant time of a game. I was a big Hickey fan but Hawkins is a better pure basketball player.

54. robro
    11:28 pm March 26, 2013 Permalink

If Harrow doesn’t “transfer” but is “released”, can he go somewhere and play next season?

55. Wildcatsteeler
    12:41 am March 27, 2013 Permalink

I’d gladly give up Harrow and Poythress for this guy. They are two of the softest players I’ve ever seen at UK. And Poythress doesn’t even try. That’s inexcusable. I really hope they both leave.

56. Eric Wright or Eazy E it's all the same
    1:18 am March 27, 2013 Permalink

I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see Brad Stevens enter the picture and swoop up Hawkins like he did with Shelvin Mack. Butler will be in need of a PG with the Aussie Jackson Aldridge being a bust, Harrison-Docks transferring to WKU and with Clarke on his way out. As much as I want to see Hawk in Blue and White, I wouldn’t mind seeing him go to a place like Butler where he would play right away and thrive. Perfect fit imo, and his personality/character has Butler written all over it. You heard it here first.

57. bluesman
    2:05 am March 27, 2013 Permalink

Its a lot harder to get into Butler than state schools my grandaughter goes there and Stevens didnt swoop in and get Mack recruited him a long time. #55 cant beleive you said that.

58. BravoBigBlue
    6:20 am March 27, 2013 Permalink

My bet is that Cal offered him a scholarship and asked him to keep the news under wraps until things shake out with the returning players. We all should know something soon. Hawkins will be a Cat. And I’m glad.

59. UKCincy
    6:29 am March 27, 2013 Permalink

Trade Harrow, Wiltjer and a player to be named later, for Hawkins.

60. Bledsoe's Biceps
    7:24 am March 27, 2013 Permalink

@ 54 (robro) – Being released and transferring are really the same thing. If Harrow goes directly to another D1 school, he has to sit out another year and loses that year of eligibility. If he goes to a D2/JUCO/NAIA school he could play right away. After a year, he could then transfer to another D1 school and play immediately, for his final season.

61. Bledsoe's Biceps
    7:44 am March 27, 2013 Permalink

I’m guessing Cal will end up with a scholly for Hawkins, even if he also gets Wiggins. Between Wiltjer, Harrow and Poythres, I’m betting at least 2 of the 3 do not return.

Wiltjer – Genetics are against him. He simply is too unathletic to see many minutes in the future. He probably realizes he will only get 5-7 minutes a game the rest of his career at UK. He may be perfectly ok with that or he may want more PT elsewhere.

Harrow – Doesn’t have the mental toughness needed. He and Cal will have to decide if he can/will change that. But he also has the burden of losing a year of D1 eligibility if he transfers.

Poythress – Has the physical skills but lacks the motor needed. Does he convince himself and Cal that he can develop the motor or not? Or does he even think he wants to work that hard to earn his minutes?

I also think it’s 50/50 whether WCS declares for the NBA draft. It hinges on his family’s financial situation, but I have no clue what that may be.

62. robro
    11:28 am March 27, 2013 Permalink

Bledsoe, I wonder if they are the same thing..The “other” team took Swopeshires scolly and released him, he played right away at Northwestern this year…

63. Bledsoe's Biceps
    12:34 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

robro – They are the same thing. The school first has to agree to release a player and then they can transfer. The Swopshire situation has yet another twist. It’s the same way Julius Mays was able to transfer to UK and play immediately. They had completed their under grad degree. The NCAA allows them to transfer to another school (and play right away) if they enroll in a graduate degree program that is not offered by their current school.