Cal to wear red at times this season to honor RJ Corman

corman_train_interior
Rick Corman

Last Friday, we shared the unfortunate news that RJ Corman, famed friend of UK Athletics, passed away after battling cancer. Rick’s passing has been felt throughout the program, with Mark Stoops opening the Dinner at 50 event Friday night with a moment of silence in his honor. Cal, who considered Rick to be a very close friend, took to his blog over the weekend and again today to share memories of the multimillionaire railroad and construction baron, whose favorite color was red despite his love of the Cats. Rick loved the color since childhood, and it’s featured prominently on his trains and company headquarters in Nicholasville. Cal always razzed him about it, encouraging him to wear blue instead, but in an update on his website today, UK’s head coach says he’ll wear red in Rick’s honor at times this upcoming season:

I always said I would never wear red, but in honor of my friend, I’m going to wear a Rick Corman red jacket to one or more games this season. It’s the second color I said I would never wear but ended up doing (brown was the other), but I promise I will never wear orange. Oh, and it won’t be for the Louisville game either.

I’m glad we’re clear on that. Rest in peace, Rick.

26 Comments for Cal to wear red at times this season to honor RJ Corman

1. DH
    4:35 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

RIP, Rick.

Hopefully BBN stays classy about Cal’s (completely reasonable) decision.

2. Facts
    4:49 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

Will Matt act like an obnoxious prick by confronting Cal during the game and then publicly shaming him after? Probably not because Cal holds Matt’s leash and isn’t an elderly lady like the one Matt previously harassed for wearing red during the game.

3. Puke
    4:55 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

just puked a little.

4. Matt
    4:58 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

#2. Cal will be wearing red to honor a dear friend that past away. If you can prove the old lady was doing something similar I’m sure Matt would apologize. If you are a UK fan and I the lower arena there is no excuse to be wearing anything other than team colors.

5. Matt
    4:59 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

*in

6. RIP RJ
    5:04 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

From what I know RJ was a good man and a good friend of the UK athletics program. He was a great businessman who did a ton for the community and the city of Nicholasville. He will certainly be missed by many…. That being said I am still firmly #TeamNoRed in RUPP arena. I understand wanting to honor the man, but I think running a replica RJ train through RUPP painted Wildcat Blue is a better option.

7. DH
    5:05 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

So much for staying classy… Jeez.

8. BigBluSoTru
    5:15 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

The legal board misses you Rj. BBST

9. jpgott2
    5:16 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

7, I do not see anything that is very bad from anyone on here. I, along with many do not care if Cal wears red in honor of a dear friend that had a lot of involvement in the Lexington community. It is just a color and his reasoning is beyond any counterpoint I can think of. That just shows that as a family/friendship man, Cal has quite a bit of honor.

If someone has a problem with a simple color in this situation, they might need to do some personal reflection.

10. Bill
    5:20 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

#2, did your grandma have someone of notable stature and best friend pass away so that she had to wear the wrong color on game day, where no one would notice why she was doing it…or was it bc she was a lower arena old timer who comes to the games to socialize and knit, but doesn’t really care about the team? Big difference and your not very smart if you can’t tell the difference.

11. DH
    5:21 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

9) Did you really not read “just puked a little” and “No red in Rupp Arena?” Other than that, I agree with you. I don’t see ANYTHING wrong with Coach Cal paying tribute to his friend by wearing the man’s favorite color. But you make it sound as though I’m the one that said wearing red was bad.

12. Chaz
    5:23 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

@ DH – Well, your hope lasted 14 minutes. Who knows how many __________(fill in the blank) you may have deterred?

13. bigblueclint
    5:33 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

yea it’s ok for a couple games

14. Kaptain Kat
    5:35 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

Just gained a whole new respect for Coach Cal. #CLASSYMOVE.

15. jpgott2
    5:35 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

11, I read those comments. Yet, you said “stay classy BBN”. Are 2 posters BBN? No. It seemed like you jumped to type that way too soon.

16. Al/in/Indy
    5:45 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

I see no harm in honoring a Good friend of his. As for the lady wearing Red to a UK game and sitting in the lower section game in and game out, we don’t know the circumstances for her wearing it.
    She may have just wanted to stand out in the crowd. I say they should have at least one game “Au Natural”! Well maybe just the dance team! GO CATS!

17. DH
    5:57 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

15) Right. And YOU said you didn’t see ANYTHING very bad from ANYBODY. So I thought I had to point them out to you. Looks like we’re both a little guilty of bad wording, however there shouldn’t be any classless comments on a story about somebody that died and I hate to see it from any MEMBER of BBN. And I know you knew what I meant, sorry I had to spell it out for you. Next time I’ll word it, “Stay classy each individual member of BBN” to make it easier for you to understand

18. The Baron
    6:41 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

What’s wrong with brown?

19. bthax
    7:15 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

Coach Cal is all about promoting personal integity acheived by a honest day of hard work while doing the right thing. One of the ways that he does this is by publicly associating with others with the same core values, such as fierce devotion to family, friends and employees. He often said that he respected RJ Corman so much that he was the only person always allowed to wear red at the Craft Center. We need to look at why he is doing it and out of respect to his model the BBN should join Cal in a sea of red to show that those are the standards that we aspire to as well.

20. RIP RJ
    7:26 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

17. And all you other slow people. Let me clarify my post (6) for you all. I absolutely think we SHOULD honor RJ he’s a damn good Kentuckian, however there are other ways to honor him than by wearing red. When Bill Keightley died we didn’t have a tube sock and sweat shorts day, God rest his beloved soul. You all are acting like wearing red is the only God given way to honor this man who should be remembered for more than an ugly color.

21. Nope
    7:32 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

Honor him with a lapel pin or something like that, but the coach of the University of Kentucky should never ever wear red while coaching a game. Love ya, coach, but you’re wrong on this one.

22. Kirk White
    7:39 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

I hope Cal takes this a step further and lets the BBN in on the game he decides to honor Rick so everyone can also honor a great man who has done so much for our area and the program we all love. Come on BBN wear red for Rick one time.

RIP Rick

23. THATBOSTONGUY
    8:26 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

I have worked for Mr. Corman for seven years and if Cal wants to wear Red for him on any given day or game than no one should even question it or post a stupid comment like some of you have. He was a good man who has done so much that most people don’t even know about. My mother always told that if you don’t have anything nice to say than keep for mouth shut. Diarrhea of the mouth is way to common in the comments section of this site.

24. get a life
    9:39 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

I guessing most of you don’t know mr.corman. Cal knew him well, and if cal thinks wearing red is a proper way to honor him then shut up go get a life and let cal do his thing. ( lookin at you #6)

25. Jeffrey
    11:35 pm August 26, 2013 Permalink

It’s rare cases like this is when it is alright to wear red.

26. js
    9:48 am August 27, 2013 Permalink

You people who have a problem with cal wearing red, All I can say is either get a life besides basketball or just get a life period. You all should be ashamed, and if your not, there is no help for you.
    It’s times like this when people talk about the crazy BBN that you wonder if there correct!!! It makes me as a fan of BBN sad.