Cal Throws A Jab Toward Miami

When Memphis was penalized for the Derrick Rose situation several years ago, the phrase “strict liability” was tossed out by Paul Dee (not to be confused with Paulie D) in naming the school responsible for playing an eligible player who would later be ruled ineligible.  At the time, Dee was serving as the Chairman for the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions.  Now, two years later, the former Miami athletic director is back in the news as the primary negligent overseer of what might be college athletics’ most rogue operation ever.

And you know who is very aware of the irony?  John Calipari.

Following a series of Tweets today outlining his plans for his Dominican National Team, Coach Cal simply Tweeted “strict liability”, which was likely followed by a boisterous laugh echoing throughout the Craft Center.  For Calipari, the Rose situation was an obscenely blatant sign of the organization’s hypocrisy, penalizing a team for allowing a player cleared by the NCAA to participate.  Now, with Paul Dee turned from enforcer to the spoiled fat kid caught with his hand in Daddy’s Playboy drawer, the hypocrisy is simply laughable.

Paul Dee, Coach Cal has a message for you:

Article written by Thomas Beisner

16 Comments for Cal Throws A Jab Toward Miami

1. da'U
    11:54 am August 17, 2011 Permalink

Who cares that we pay players more than the dolphins? We’re soldiers!

2. MR.Economy
    12:00 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

People who live in glass houses should never — I mean NEVER EVER — throw stones….

3. Brewer
    12:08 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

get #strictliability trending on twitter

4. ebarbaau
    12:15 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

I am starting a new organization for college athletics so schools will have a choice between NCCA or fair play with football playoffs for everyone !

5. Adolph
    12:21 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

Dee: (sticking gun to head) “See, I told you it wasn’t loa…”

6. KING REX #3
    12:24 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

I love that the money basically came from Tony Montana…….SAY GOODNIGHT TO THE BAD GUY!!!!

7. aldirt
    12:49 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

Now I just need Cal to put a lid on Doron, tweeting pictures of Louis Vuitton belts with his name engraved on it?? Not saying he can’t afford it, but hey…

8. ebell55
    12:59 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

The bottom line is NCAA is BIG Business! As Bomoni Jones said these boys are going to get paid. I’m a UK Grad and a Big Fan! I’ve also been a fan of the U since 1984. We better be glad that we don’t have guys in Kentucky who are 30 year old heads of Ponsi Sceems with access to yatchs and cash. We just filled up 2 arenas in Aug to watch terrible basketball! The sad thing is Miami has been on a decline on the field since they got evolved with this guy.

9. uk3k
    1:08 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

Nicely done!

suck it Dee.

10. test
    1:36 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

test

11. Joe
    2:18 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

Mark me down on this one. If the NCAA wants to get serious and actually cut way back on the major corruption in college sports, it’s time to hammer somebody. And Miami looks like a good choice. Gut Miami the way that the NCAA did SMU and schools will take a little more caution, methinks.

12. Han
    2:25 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

I’m assuming they’ll pay about as much attention to the hypocrisy in this case as they did with the celebrations and listed wins. You know, back when they said they didn’t have the resources to go looking for problems, but they completely ignored the dozens of reports from fans and sportswriters.

13. Han
    2:29 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

I’m more and more a fan of the idea of naming an enforcement commissioner like Bilas or someone to deal with infractions in a less biased way than the NCAA currently does. Of course, Bilas is still a bit of a Duke homer, but he’d be far better than what happens now.

I’d say get Bob Knight to do it, since he doesn’t take BS or cheating, but he’s too loyal to his friends and too biased against his enemies (like us).

14. Nelson Muntz
    2:51 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

Ha Ha! You stole my bit, but I like it!

15. R-Truth
    4:22 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

13- Bob Knight? Surely you jest

16. Canes fan in Lex
    6:31 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

As a fan of both UK and Miami I don’t understand how any UK fan would say anything. The last thing you want is the NCAA getting tough. I want UK to win several titles but I wont’t be surprised if they get stripped later. I haven’t seen anything wrong with what Coach Cal has done so far, but trouble does follow. And if they set an example with Mimai they won’t be afraid to pull the trigger against UK if they are caught. Coach Cal has avoided/escaped twice if they get him in their sights it won’t be pretty.