Cal says fans make “too big a deal” out of UofL/UK game

CALMDB

Last night during his postgame show, John Calipari may have ruffled some fans’ feathers with this quote about the Kentucky/Louisville rivalry:

“You people and the Louisville fans make too big a deal out of this game. There weren’t 57 Kentucky players out on the floor. We both have kids from all over and it’s not as big a deal for them. They’re not even in our league. But it is a big deal when you win.”

I can understand Cal downplaying the importance of the game to his players to alleviate pressure and expectations, but chiding the fan base about the rivalry is something different altogether. What do you make of Cal’s comments?

184 Comments for Cal says fans make “too big a deal” out of UofL/UK game

1. cats paws
    2:39 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Sometimes Cal should just bite his tongue. He is Yelping way too much and needs to remember that the fans are the ones who make this program great.

2. Nassau65
    2:41 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal looks at the big picture, unlike most of the rest of us. That’s why he is where he is.

3. KBIT
    2:41 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Afraid Cal is wrong here,its a huge deal for the fan base’s !! Bragging rights for at least a year,the right to call them little brother and really rub it in,plus its a big deal to recruits as well.Many times I believe recruits torn between UL and UK lok at that game in particular. Dont rile the fans Cal,it isnt the smart thing to do here,leeave us alone and let us hate Louisville and want to beat them like the red headed step child they are !!!

4. GoCats2
    2:41 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal needs to drop this topic and drop it quick. Its fine to try and downplay this game so the players are focused but this is what its all about for the fans. Let the fans have their fun. Cal shouldn’t tell fans how to be fans, its not like we tell him how to coach….wait a minute, scratch that.

5. Walden Schmidt
    2:41 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

If he had 2 brothers, 5 sisters, 2 daughters, and a son-n-law that were UL fans, he would understand. I more than hold my own with them.

6. rob
    2:45 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

He has his opinion, and he’s probably right. Fans shouldn’t care so much about UofL. The game is certainly not bigger than, say, the UNC game was earlier in the season. Or Florida would be late in the season if they were top 10. Rationally speaking, people should cover up the name and look at RPI, league standing, etc.–what effect the result would have on our season. The only thing winning can do is help our seeding, and in that way the cupcakes should be bigger games (because a loss to a bad team would affect our seeding more than a win over UofL would).

7. Flop
    2:45 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal’s an outsider, a hired gun. He doesn’t “get it” in this instance.

8. Nassau65
    2:45 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

1. I see your point –sort of. But how many fans would want to go to games if BCG was at the helm for 10 years?
    I do agree that the fans are what separates UK from the rest, but fans don’t win games. JMO

9. junkie262
    2:46 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal needs to stop talking down to the fans. His arrogance to his own fan base is getting a little old.

10. UK
    2:47 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal really doesn’t understand the importance of this game to both fanbases. Not complaining about the one and done’s because I love where we have gotten the past two years, but maybe since over half of our team is gone after one year they don’t know the importance like a Junior or a Senior does such as players like Patterson, Harrellson, and Liggins.

11. ukcatfan88
    2:47 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I think he’s trying to trivialize UL. They aren’t much, so the game isn’t either. I agree they aren’t much, but it feels so good beating on them. It’s purely a KY thing.

12. Musehobo
    2:48 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

He’s wrong here. Telling a fanbase that pretty much pays his salary to not care as much about a rivalry is idiotic. I doubt those words have ever been uttered to fans before by a coach.

13. WKY Dude
    2:48 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

The rivalry was huge way before he got here and will be huge way after he’s gone. In this instance, Cal DOESN’T get it. Still glad he’s our coach though.

14. Blue4ever
    2:48 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

As much as I like Coach Cal and think he generally means well I also think he suffers from what my mother called DOTM (diarrhea of the mouth) diseasea. He just gets rolling and most likely even he doesn’t know what’s coming out of his mouth next. Plus, he still doesn’t get the fact that most Kentuckianas following what the UK basketball coach says more than the governor or the president. Probably drives Mitch nuts?

15. Bud tugley
    2:53 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Stupid comment by someone who really should have relished in the moment. Great day to be a uk fan yesterday.

16. KSR1080Fan
    2:53 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Near the end of the courtside show he said something else about this while
    trying to explain a little more about what he meant from “his” standpoint,
    but I can’t quote it.

17. Rockbottom70
    2:54 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Lame.

18. Jimmy
    2:54 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I call b/s, this is a big game, and will always be. I wanna beat them more than anybody, besides north carolina. I love cal, but I thinks it’s wrong for him to say this, just because there are so many of us fans look forward to this game all year. So what if there not in our league. nither Is unc, duke, kansas, but they are all a big deal. Cal should have know that before got here.

19. nolablue
    2:54 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

If DOESNTEXISTVILLE really doesn’t exist, then he’s right. I think he “gets it” more thank UK fans do.
    Really the rivalry is for UK fans who have to live in the city of Little Brother. Beyond that, it’s just
    a bunch of silliness. Our true rivals are Duke and UNC. I do think we’d all be much better off
    to just let Tards fans wallow in their obscurity and go on with our beautiful BLUE lives.

20. Nassau65
    2:55 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Which would most rather have-a win against UL, or banner #8? I think he means this game is just another regular season game, it means nothing (absolutely nothing) towards that next banner. That’s what i mean by “the big picture”, and yes-he gets it.

21. Gavin S.
    2:55 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

He’s a Jagoff, but he’s our Jagoff.

22. Tomas
    2:58 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

You guys need to realize he is right. This game is not that important. The game was officiated so horribly yesterday because of the fans. Fans put pressure on the players to win this so the end up doing stupid things like Xavier/Cincinatti. If fans would back off the games would be played mored smoothly.

23. Paducahfan
    2:59 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

For Cal it’s all about getting kids to the NBA. Individual games and maybe even championships aren’t as important as they are to lifelong fans for whom basketball icons are almost like family. Cal’s honest – he just doesn’t get it because he hasn’t been around long.

24. Funky Monkey
    3:00 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Most just don’t get how slick and smooth Cal is. He wasn’t getting on UK fans at all, not one bit, he was just trying to slip in another final dig at Louisville and Mr. Pitino. Final stab at reaffirming the pecking order.

25. Cal is the Man
    3:01 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

He has to limit the level of energy, focus, hunger given to this game
    It is possible that growth and self worth could be altered by it.
    My neck got a little Red thinking he doesnt get it. My self worth
    and esteem at work or in a bar can be repaired by kicking the looser ass
    Or by a UK. Victory next year. Going further than the dards in the tournament
    Is a chest pumper, another National Title would cure Cancer.
    Confidence is fickle, it can fool either into thinking we are-better or worse
    than we are . Dont have to work or focus any more than now
    Or what is the use, they best us, our next opponent beat them, we cant
    Win.
    Cal has vision, and the hutzpah to to say something that will piss us off
    but he knows teams only get so many chances at greatness.
    Compared to my renewable self eastern. No brainer.

26. Bledsoe's Biceps
    3:01 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

27. TampaCat!
    3:02 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

You would think that the state of Kentucky could produce another 5 STAR player along the lines of a Rex Chapman or a Winston Bennett. Others I can think of are a Darrell Griffin, a Dirk Minniefield, and Jack “Goose” Givens. I’m sure there are others. What’s going on in the High school system in Kentucky?

28. yep
    3:02 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Listen Folks. He didn’s say the game wasn’t a big deal or shouldn’t be a big deal. He said that the fans make too big of a deal of it. He is right for some fans. Some fans mourn and sulk all year if we lose, same goes for some Loserville fans. Should a rational human being let a game by 18 and 19 year olds dicatate how we feel or act? No, we shouldn’t. But Then again, us UK fans have never been accused of being rational.

29. Al B. Sure
    3:02 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Hmm… judging by these comments, maybe he doesn’t “get it” after all…

30. Robshairgel
    3:03 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

If he was 0-3 against Rick, his tone would be different! He shouldn’t try to tell the fans what’s important and what isn’t! I guess free throws aren’t that big of a deal either?

31. #Rise
    3:04 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Love Cal but never been a fan of his “players first” philosophy.

32. Jimmy
    3:05 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

22) you play to win the game so its very imortant.Who says it will turn into a boxing match, that’s bullshi$ to say that. f everybody, who think every game isn’t a big deal, even this one.

33. bung

4. it makes you tired
    3. I hate to pass
    2. it is easier to chase them after turnovers
    1. I forgot

34. Charles
    3:08 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

30) Just getting ready to post…….IF he EVER does lose to Louis(I)ville he WILL get how important it is to the fans AND he may not like their reaction !!!

35. TampaCat!
    3:09 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

33. Love your points! Nice work! Cal doesn’t “get it!”

36. Ray
    3:10 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Actually Cal is right we do make too big of a deal about this game.

I know I do. I wish that it didn’t mean so much to me but it does. I’ve gotten better at not losing my mind and perspective when it comes to this game. Most all UK fans would do well to have more perspective when it comes to UK basketball.

Living in Louisville makes it tough. UL fans being arrogant assholes 24/7 is the real problem.

37. UK'64
    3:11 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal just being Cal, stirring up the pot. Did a great job too. He gets it more than you think.

38. Rivalry
    3:11 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Folks, You all need to calm down. I guarantee Cal knows how big this game is to the fans. His statement proves that he knows it. He simply said that the fans make “too” big of a deal out of it. I think any fan will agree that we do make to big of a deal out of it. Heck, its against the dirty birds, we will make a big del of it. We will make “too” big of a deal out of it. But, it is one game in December. Its not in the tournamont. In my eyes, whoever we play in the first round of the tourny this year is a bigger deal than this game. Reason being is, if we lose that game we go home.

39. cats1068
    3:12 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I love the players first philosophy. Without players, then UK doesn’t have a team. I look at it from a parent’s perspective. i would my kid’s coach to look ou for its best interest because I wouldn’t be around to. How can you not like that? And as far as a big game, it is what it is, 1 game. I think it’s a dig at Pitino saying that U of L is JUST another game. I have no problem with it. He’s 3-0 vs U of L. So who cares what he says. It’s just his opinion and you know what they say about opinions. Quit being being butt hurt about his opinion.

40. cats1068
    3:14 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

33- All that matters is on the scoreboard. An ugly win is always better than a pretty loss. Just saying…..

41. The Truth
    3:15 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal is right. Basketball rivalries are virtually meaningless. The only time they really matter is if the two teams meet in the tournament. It’s one game out of a 40-game season and the consequences of its outcome are way, way down the list when it comes to the games this team will play this season.

42. Uk fans are the best and worst
    3:16 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Did I miss something. All kinds of people on here are saying that Cal said it wasn’t important. That is not what he said. He said, fans make too big of a deal out it. The anger that has transpired from that one comment proves that he is right. But make no mistake. Cal knows it is important.

43. cats1068
    3:17 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Sorry for the typo. I meant to say, I would want my kid’s coach to look out….

44. DbleedBlue
    3:18 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Most UK fans are idiots and coach cal is right! Billy Clyde considered this game to be a big one perhaps u guys would like him back? Since Calipari “doesn’t seem to get it”. Huge UK fan but easy to see why so many people hate our fanbase. Cause half of you are lunatics and really believe fans are the program. #GETREAL

45. KyFan 2000
    3:21 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Wonder what his comments would have been if we had lost, just sayin’?????

46. backwoodzukfan
    3:22 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

The passion us U.K. fans have ,is what makes CAL & other coaches dream of coaching here .. I think he just forgot that our “crazy” fanbase equates to his stellar recruiting classes ,his “crazy” salary & etc …. As an native kentuckian , some of my strongest family bonding occured sitting infront of a muted t.v. listening to CAWOOD LEDFORD on the radio …. I still love CAL , but this “crazy” fan will still b here when he’s gone ..

47. KyFan 2000
    3:22 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Wonder what his comments would have been if we had lost, just sayin’.

48. BigBlueHeart
    3:23 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I hate to admit it but he’s mostly right when you look at the bigger picture, or the players point of view. They know the fans take it personal, like we take everything about our program personal, but beyond that they won’t be here long enough to build any rivalries at heart. They come from all over the country to play for Cal and get their shot at the next level. They don’t come here so they can beat up on UL once a year. Like he said, there wasn’t a bunch of Kentucky/Louisville players on the floor. Plus, like has been said, he doesn’t want to play into UL like that. He’s not going to refer to them as ‘that team up the road’ like he does with ‘that other blue team’ (UNC). But he shouldn’t down play the importance to the fans either like when he downplayed the importance of the SEC tourney.

49. Justin G.
    3:24 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I do disagree with Cal on this topic, as the fans and the traditions of both programs, are what make it great. It might not be as important to UK’s overall mission, which is to win a National Championship, but, it has an impact on the residence of this state. Look at the UNC/Duke rivalry.

Yes, there are many players on every team in the country, that are not from the state of which the university resides, but that does not mean it is not any more important to them.

50. SeoulCat
    3:24 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal needs to understand that without fans, there is no spectacle. Without the spectacle, there is no TV interest or attendance at the games. Without TV interest, there are no TV contracts. Without fans at the games, there is no gate $. Without TV contracts and gate $, there are no highly-paid coaches. In a nutshell, without fans and fandom (of which, rivalry games constitute a large fraction of the energy), Cal has no job. You work for the fans, Cal. Don’t forget which hand feeds you.

51. UK'64
    3:25 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Didnt you hear in the same interview how he and his wife discussed how lucky they were to be at Kentucky and coaching all these wonerful young men?

52. Designated Drinker
    3:27 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I agree with Cal 9 times out of 10, but he is wrong here. I’m a fan of the UK program and will be when he is gone and was before he got here. The most important game of any year for me is the UK/UL basketball game. A comment like his is fine as long as he wins, but lose and don’t deliver in the tourney and the fans that so wholeheartedly support him can and will turn on a dime. Expect to hear that from Rick not Cal. Still love him as our coach though, just keep stuff like that to yourself.

53. UK'64
    3:28 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

wonderful

54. The Truth
    3:28 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

backwoodz, if the “crazy” fanbase were what equated to his stellar recruiting classes, then where were those stellar recruiting classes prior to his arrival? I mean, the fans were still there, right?

55. DbleedBlue
    3:28 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

51- Great point. But as you’ll read in comment 44 again most fans miss that stuff because most of them are idiots.

56. Ryan
    3:28 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I LOVE Cal, but I also know that he is a salesman of sorts. You have to understand that all he really cares about is making himself look good, which means winning. On occasion he will slip up and we all see what is underneath all the flashy talk and bullshit. This is a prime example. Deep down, Cal is not here to make friends or please the fans. He doesn’t care about the fans or the rivalry. He is here to better his career and make money and that is it. If you know that and are objective about it, he proves it a few times a year.

57. cats1068
    3:29 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

My question is, is UK winning? Then if they are, this is what you call “nit picking”

58. DbleedBlue
    3:29 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

54- summed it up perfectly

59. Uk fans are the best and worst
    3:30 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I didn’t listen to the live comments. Did he say that the game wasn’t important? So many people on here are saying he did, but that is not what the quoye says. Peronally, I think people are making “too” big of a deal out of his statement and in doing so it’s proving him right.

60. The Captain
    3:31 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Not a big deal. Stating his perspective on it as a basketball coach in the big picture. We do blow things out of proportion, but, we are the ones who have to deal with those u of smell freaks. Besides we also enjoy it more for putting pitino in his place.

61. ukfaninohio
    3:31 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Starting to wonder why i watch regular season games at all if there not important..Maybe ill just wait till it counts like march madness

62. UK'64
    3:32 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

#56 YOU dont get it.

63. born blue
    3:32 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

#51- did he include his daughter in that comment?

64. The Truth
    3:32 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

You watch to be entertained.

65. I BLEED BLUE 325
    3:33 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

HE DOESN’T GET IT!! The End. Bring JAY-Z back for a halftime show. lol

66. TampaCat!
    3:33 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal, just forget about your personal rivalry with Pitino, it’s not that big a deal!
    Come on man!

67. royalblue6
    3:33 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal’s doing a great job, but he sometimes reminds me of Pitino and the way he talked down to KY fans. The program and tradition is what it’s about, not the coach or the players. Ky will always have good players and hopefully a good coach (ok sometimes that doesn’t work out), but the fans and tradition will alwarys be there.

68. The Truth
    3:34 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

51 and 54. Most fans only hear the parts they don’t like and then twist it to say something totally different than what he said. Seems to me that KSR provoked this with this post. Anyone else notice that more and more post seem aimed at getting fans in a frenzy than to support the team as a whole?

69. The Truth
    3:35 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

A lot of fans need to be talked down to.

70. Inspector Underwear
    3:35 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

The fans of both teams DO make more of the game then should be. It is only important for bragging rights. Didn’t UK lose to ul in 98 when we won the NC? Which was more important?

71. The Truth
    3:35 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

68 – What do you expect from a woman? They live for drama.

72. DbleedBlue
    3:36 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

56- people really used to think Ricky P absolutely loved the fans and was in it for the program…where the hell did that get us? Maybe the fact that Cal only cares about winning and himself is an awesome thing

73. The Truth
    3:37 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I sure wish That being loyal fans and our history meant that we would get the best players. I remember the Tubby years and the Gillispie years. I guess if the fans are the reason for getting good player then Florida, Ohio State, Duke, North Carolina, etc had a better fan base than us a few years ago because they were most certainly out recruiting us.

74. Mr Schwump
    3:38 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

He’s right of course unfortunately for him you sophmoric nimrods don’t see it.

75. UK'64
    3:38 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

#63 I dont remember. I suspect she does feel lucky to have such great parents. Anywhere else she is just someone daughter.

76. Rub it in
    3:39 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

He said it was not a big deal but then contradicted himself by saying it’s huge when you win. So seems to me that he was downing playing but saying he loves to win this game. Oxymoron.

77. cats paws
    3:39 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I don’t really care what Cal SAYS, only what he does, who he recruits, and if he can win an NC. But I will say the same thing I said about every other UK coach-you’re job is to win NC’s. I ultimately don’t care about regular season wins compared to NC’s, if you don’t win one, then no one is going to care about the regular season wins.

78. Ryan
    3:39 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

62-He just told us how he feels, why don’t you believe him? We both listened to his comments, but I think only one of us actually heard him.

79. Emarc
    3:39 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

He needs to remember who pays his salary and shut up and enjoy tne ride

80. DbleedBlue
    3:41 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

73- exactly. Those schools landed recruits over us because they were the hotter programs. With others would see that. If they really think fans bring recruits they’ve lost their minds. Cal’s ability to polish players for the pros is why he recruits so well.

81. Skeps
    3:45 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Another example of him talking down to us. He’s arrogant and needs to understand if not for the fans, there would be no team.

82. TampaCat!
    3:45 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal, by the way, nice game yesterday, Happy New Year! Go Cats!

83. DbleedBlue
    3:45 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Wow 79 ur an idiot.

84. UKGrad04
    3:46 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

In general, nothing good comes from a sentence that starts “You people…” That’s what I’ve learned.

85. DbleedBlue
    3:47 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

81 ur ignorance is amusing. If not for Cal our program would still be in the shitter. Wake up

86. UK'64
    3:49 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

WE have the greatest fans in the world. But if thats all it took , Tubby would still be here>

87. Chad
    3:52 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

You know I am a huge UK fan, I get mad if they lose even one game…. BUT Rick Pitino put UK back on the map. Give the guy some respect and treat him as a UK legend instead of trash. I dont root for Louisville over UK and never would but we should all be thankful for all he did to make UK great again. Calipari is awesome too I love him but Pitino got the ball rolling and if he would have stayed no doubt in my mind UK would have had two more banners. So stop trashing the guy, he will is and always will be UK just like all the other coaches and players that passed through.

88. UK'64
    3:52 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

P.S. as far as I’m concerned he earns every dime. I have no idea when he rests.

89. gcat4496
    3:52 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

You gotta take this as a tongue & cheek comment from Cal, Of course he knows its a big game and I think he personally is trying to beat Pitino every chance he gets. He is just down playing the hype and trying to show some good sport to Pitino. However, with that said we don’t hang banners by beating UL. We hang banners for final 4s and NCAA titles. Do you remember when UNC beats Duke or vice versa. Of course not, but you remember their banners. In the same way, I remember the banners in 78, 96 & 98 more so than the years we beat UL.

90. Ranger
    3:54 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Who’s care what he says. He’s winning alot of games and getting the greatest recruits we will ever see

91. strange brew
    3:55 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

His job is to coach. He see’s UofL no different than UNC or Lamar. He gets paid to win every game. I understand why he said what he did.

92. Bmac
    3:56 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I’m sorry, but cal has a point, been a die hard fan my entire life and I can honestly say that as far as i’m concerned, no win is more important than the next and no loss stings more than the last.

93. DbleedBlue
    3:59 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

87 pitino did great things and got it rolling in the 90’s but don’t be blind enough to not see that Cal is having to do th same rebuilding. And to be honest is doing it way faster! From losing to Notre Dame in the freakin NIT to elite eight. Now that’s getting the ball rolling. You could totally give Pitino credit for rebuilding the program had Tubby and Clyde not ran the damn thing back in the ground. Hell that’s like saying yup coach rupp got the ball rolling and here we are still rolling strong because of him. Which of course would be freakin nuts.

94. I'm Ready!!!
    3:59 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

If the fans are the reason that we get great playeers then I have a great solution. Fire Coach Cal and get rid of his $4,000,000 salary. Hire me for let’s say $75,000 a year. I am a huge UK fan, so therefore I will get the best players, because well, thats what fans do, right? They get the best players. Furthermore, I will go in search of the biggest UK fans to fill out the rest of the staff. With a staff full of die hard fans we will be unstoppable. We will get the best 13 players and they will all go pro, and then we will just get the best 13 again. Furthermore, I myself, nor my staff will ever give an interview or speak in public because we would not want to say something that would upset the other fans. We will understand that we cannot have an opinion and that if we do it will be twisted and held against us to the point of being called names. Oh, once we get those 13 best players every year, we wont care about them anymore and try to do what is best for them. I mean heck, once they have signed they are ours, right?

95. bung
    4:00 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

re: 33) I can only count to 10 so I have to use some numbers twice to go higher.

96. klaasact32
    4:01 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Then he doesn’t get UK basketball for him to make that statement. Thats about as stupid a statement as the one where he said having five players drafted in the first round is the most important day in UK basketball…..

97. kycatfl1
    4:01 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

He is right. I have a friend who is a die hard Tard. Hew says he would rather beat KY than win a National Championship. Stupid way to think on either side. It definately means more to fans than the players.

98. DbleedBlue
    4:01 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

And people act like pitino saved the program recently. It was damn near 20 years ago. Get with it

99. dave
    4:02 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

85- get over yourself. just b/c a coach is good at what he does doesn’t mean everything he says & does is right.
    sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. good coach normally comes with a big ego & big mouth. big fanbase can mean lots of money to go around but also comes with crazy fans.
    why can’t he fans disagree with cal on some things?

100. DbleedBlue
    4:03 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

94- awesome!

101. I'm Ready!!!
    4:04 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

87, I disagree that Pitino will always be UK. I admire and am greatful for what he did here. But he coaches the enemy now.

102. kentuckyjoe
    4:08 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal is right. As usual.

Right on 94. I’m a pretty big fan myself, I’m sure I could step right in and do a helluva job. That is if you’re looking for someone who would make Billy Clyde look like John Wooden.

103. DbleedBlue
    4:08 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

99- if u could read you’d kno that I didn’t say Cal was “right” for what he said. The comment from 81 was exactly as I said ignorant. He was in no way talking down to fans. So please…. Get over YOURSELF

104. CA UK FAN
    4:12 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

What’s the point of playing Louisville? We already know they are not in the same league with UK and they know it too. Why do we need to prove it over and over?

Ok, I’m not going yo lie; I HATE LOUISVILLE! But I also think Cal has a point. Maybe if you look it the big picture, this game is just a distraction.

I for one will feel a lot better when the Cats beat teams that are actually good. They have been playing a lot of cupcakes lately.

Not sure playing cupcakes makes them any better.

105. PinWHEEL
    4:14 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I would perform any sex act coach cal wanted for him to be our coach till he retires. If you don’t like him or the 44 straight home wins he has as our coach.. Call Billy G and cry to him about coming back.. Or maybe tubby.. I am publicly stating I am a married straight man with 5 kids.. I would lick his balls at mid court at half time during the Louisville game before I would let one of those bums lead our beloved cats! Go big blue forever!!!!

106. Bledsoe's Biceps
    4:14 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

99) +1 DBleedBlue acts like he/she is the only one allowed to have an opinion. And if you don’t agree then resorts to name calling. Needs to grow up.

107. Millie
    4:15 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Did Cal seem a little more animated than usual before this game? Yes. He loves beating Ricks azz. And he is straight up lying if he says otherwise. No different with the fans. I love you Cal, now shut up.

108. Wildcat Billy says
    4:15 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I wonder how the coach would feel if he were coaching at a school where the only time the arena is filled is when Kentucky comes to town. However, Winning #8 is the most important thing. Next is UNC losin. Next is Duke is losing. Next is UL losing. That is the order as far as I’m concerned.

109. backwoodzukfan
    4:18 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

thetruth & dbleedblue / i am sorry that merely stating my opinion compells some people to call me an ‘idiot’ .. and maybe i am , because i thought K.S.R. provided this comment section just for “crazy” fans to state/debate their opinions without degrading each other….

110. DbleedBlue
    4:20 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

106- I’d actually have to say my opinions are on the minds of majority of fans. Never told anyone not to comment. Hell it’s an open site feel free! And name calling would be me calling a commentor “ignorant” but again if you’d read I clearly said the comment itself was “ignorant”. But thanks

111. WTF
    4:20 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal, just shut up and coach. You are doing well at UK but we are doing the same for your career. Try to catch those dumb comments before they make it out of your mouth. You know? Like, ‘Hey, there. Where you goin’ little buddy. Don’t want to put my A** in a sling, here.’

So, in short; Shut up. Recruit. Coach. Win. And let us fans decide what we want to do with our fandom.

112. David Elswick
    4:21 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I think too much attention is paid to Cal’s comments. It’s his opinion. He’s winning 86% of his games and is 7-2 in the NCAA tournament. I don’t care what he says as long as we keep winning at that rate.

113. UK'64
    4:23 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

#108, you forgot Kansas losing.

114. DbleedBlue
    4:29 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

109- ur comments stir the pot. Need all kinds. If my comment calling u (as a fan) an idiot upsets you on an internet website maybe u have issues. Was nothing personal. Not like I kno you!

115. Bledsoe's Biceps
    4:29 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

110) And I see you don’t let documented facts get in the way either. Contrary to your claim, in post 85 you you make the statement “ur ignorance”. So you referred to the person and not their comment. And in post 83 you called someone an idiot. It’s ok to disagree, but there is no need to disrespect others and their opinions.

116. Alex
    4:30 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Fire him.
    Tubby never would have said this.

117. DbleedBlue
    4:32 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

115- thanks mom!

118. Bledsoe's Biceps
    4:39 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

117) I rest my case. Hope you make it through puberty without too much more difficulty.

119. Jason
    4:42 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Of course Cal’s right, but fans are irrational.

120. scottd
    4:46 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I don’t have a big problem with it, but he should do a little research and see what Mr. Bill Keightley thought of cards..

121. Kampus Korner
    4:54 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal is way off the mark here. Rivalry games will always be important to fans of any program, not just UK. I am puzzled that Cal can’t appreciate that reality. Maybe he is trying to take some pressure off himself and his rivalry with Pitino by futilely attempting to convince UK and UL fans that this game is not that important. Take a breath Cal, we ain’t changing and the more you keep talking about how unimportant this game is the more foolish you sound.

122. Cat Fan
    4:59 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Maybe he doesn’t “get” this fanbase as much as everyone seems to think. Coaches come and go, players come and go (faster than they used to), this team belongs to the BBN and as far as the BBN is concerned, beating loserville is very important! I fully expect this team to have a couple of more losses on their way to hanging banner #8…but it would have been UNACCEPTABLE for them to have lost to an inferior team like the dirty birds. I think the pressure of the job is getting to Cal…he bitched at fans over signing balls following both of the last two games. This is a change from prior behavior. He has 35 million good reasons to sign the balls and shut up about it. I predict he will wlak away within 24 months.

123. jpnixon
    5:09 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

If he ever loses to them, he’ll understand how much it means to him

124. John Wayne
    5:10 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

We are 13-1. Who cares.

125. The chinstrap
    5:32 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Much ado about nothing. He is a coach and wants every game to be looked at the same by his players and doesn’t want our craziness to affect them. If you don’t like what he’s saying, turn off your radio and don’t listen!

126. Carl
    5:35 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I agree Calipari can downplay it to his players. But, I’m a little tired of being lectured to and told how to think as a UK fan. I was a UK fan long before Calipari came along and I’ll be a UK fan long after he’s gone (if I’m still alive :)) and being a resident of the Louisville area this is a very big game for us.

Cal needs to focus on mentally preparing his kids to play(Jones/Lamb/Teague) and stop trying to adjust the behavior of the fans.

127. Agree with Cal
    5:37 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I agree with Cal. I’ve never understood what the big deal is about UK/UofL. I can’t seem to summons any ability to care about Louisville. They’re not in our league. I get completely jacked up about NC, Duke, Indiana, UCLA and Kansas but U of L? Seriously, I don’t hate them. I nothing them.

128. CosmicWrangler
    5:44 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I don’t listen to a word he says. The shit that comes out of his mouth is not all that different than Pitino. He likes to hear himself talk.

129. quickyricky
    6:07 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Maybe we should pay coach Cal on big games. The reason he is paid so much money is due to the fact that we are fanatical about every game. That’s what makes us #BBN #POINTBLANKPERIOD

130. InternationalPhilosophy
    6:08 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Remember that fan is short for fanatic.
    I understand rivalries but have never understood hate for the rival.
    When one invests that much emotion regarding a college hoops game something’s out of balance.
    Enjoy the wins, mourn the losses, but for chrissakes don’t be psychotic about it.
    I think that was Cal’s point…and yeah, it was a nice little dig at Pitino, but a guy should have a little fun now and then.

131. Bubba Earl
    6:11 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Hire 94, fire Cal!

132. Lovelease
    6:12 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

After these comments cal goes to his car shuts the door and say

Suck it rick

133. Cmon man
    6:12 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Ia m the biggest UK fan in the world and I can honestly say we have the dumbest fans in america

134. Edd
    6:12 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Elite 8, Final 4, 3 wins against city college, undefeated at Rupp… Results > words.

135. Bob
    6:13 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

As much as we’d like to believe differently, the times they are a changin’. When you recruit one and dones they play for the name on the back of the jersey, not the front. They also don’t care about this rivalry. We don’t recruit players who care about the rivalry or stay long enough to care. Chuck Hayes isn’t walking through that door…

136. CATSCATSCATS
    6:14 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I see where he was trying to go with this comment but i agree with the first comment of this post. He just needs to shut up sometimes. He comes off as arrogant when he says stuff like this and it reflects on all of our fans. He tries to be humble when he says this stuff, saying 60 teams or whatever could beat us etc. But it has the reverse effect. It just makes him look like a jackass. And yes i agree with 128, he just likes to hear himself talk. Just shut up Cal. Your New England roots are showing too much. Go Cats.

137. william wonka
    6:19 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

CAL, Shut up embrace the rivalry, beat Pitino’s backside, and cash your checks!

138. Emarc
    6:21 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Did he evercoach at a program that had bigtime national exposure rival games?

139. BravoBigBlue
    6:22 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

There are several valid points above. Just because Cal is our coach doesn’t make him always right like the fans are. Also, I do think he was making another dig at Pitino. It’s a big rivalry game no matter who the coaches are and where the players are from.

140. WTF
    6:23 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

125- I think we’re all commenting because we were asked our opinion of his comments. Evidently you don’t understand that. Turn down the hostility and pull your head out of Cals buttocks!!!
    It’s UK vs UL!!! Are you kidding me?!! Why do you think UK’s #1?!! in the HISTORY OF BASKETBALL!?!
    !!!Because we DON”T CARE?!!! BECAUSE IT DOESN”T MATTER?!!

Are you trying to say coach Cal is bigger than the UK Wildcats?!!! Dude!!! Step away from the booze!!! Just….. Step….. Away….

Take a nap and reboot your fanhood!!!

141. Al Davis
    6:28 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Just win baby!

142. Bledsoe's Biceps
    6:33 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Okay nevermind 133 you are an idiot

143. WTF
    6:37 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Coach Cal, Thou dost break the BBN commandment:
    “Criticize not thine own fan base who blesses thee!!!”

Thou canst redeem thyself when we soon hoisteth banner #8!!!

…………hoisteth?……….

What the h***, you get it!!! GO CATS!!!!!!!!

144. The Realist
    6:38 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

If winning games against rivals and championships, to a degree, are not important, it seems he is paid to much. Shouldn’t he give some back?

145. InternationalPhilosophy
    6:42 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

@133
    I agree. I’ve enjoyed UK hoops for going on 50 years now. Born and raised in Kentucky, have celebrated the championships and big wins and accomplishments and likewise been saddened by the failures, especially the likes of Eddie and Billy Clyde.
    What’s been striking in all that time is how more than a few UK fans almost literally live and die with the results of a fricking college hoops game, much less a season.
    A sense of perpective/emotional health isn’t their strong suit.
    There’s resentment for the “other” or “outsiders”…UK was slow to integrate, that’s indisputable.
    Thankfully that kind of thinking is long dead, but even now one sees references in this blog to UL being a “ghetto” school and Cal’s “New England roots showing too much.”
    It’s almost as bad as the mistaken impression held by some that Kentucky is made up mostly of hillbillies and rednecks and otherwise uneducated fools…but the provincialism exhibited by some does little to dispel the notion.

146. JJ in Florida
    6:44 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I think Cal is trying to slowly get rid of the UK/UofL series because he knows Pitino will be in a weak conference shortly and Pitino will not get the exposure in the next few years. Plus, UK has been able to increase the top recruits for UofL because of UK being better these last 3 years…The SEC is always better when UK is good. I think Cal wants to bury Pitino while the iron is hot. Fans want to keep North Carolina on our schedule and I know we have 2 good teams coming in next year in Missouri and Texas A&M. Playing Louisville we will always be the team with more to lose. Keep IU, drop UofL let them get no TV play like when they were in Conference USA. Just my opinion.

147. JJ in Florida
    6:59 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Does anyone else think Cal is setting this up to get rid of the UK/UofL series? I think he knows that Pitino is gonna be in a much weaker conference very soon with little TV exposure and we have added two good teams in Missouri and Texas A&M to the schedule. Also, Louisville has benefited in recruiting because of Big Brother and being in the Big East(not much longer). Coach wants to bury Pitino’s exposure to recruits and knows he can lesson UofL’s TV exposure. Just a thought.

148. WTF
    7:02 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

145… Your aims a little off there, buddy. Shot right over my head.

146… I understand your point but don’t agree with it.

!!Newsflash!! It’s fun to play UL and win!!! It’s fun to get excited about it!!! It elevates the mundane routine that is everyday life!!! It’s these kind of rivalries that we as fans of BBN enjoy!!! It makes me Happy to watch UK vs UL!!! Unless we should leave the drama out of it. 🙁 Boring….

We’re not talking about UK fans treating UL fans like IU fans treat us when were in their house. I’m not down with that and no-one should be down with that kind of behavior.

This is just simple, good ol’ fashioned sports rivalry!!!

Healthy!!! Good for the bones!!! 🙂

!!!GO CATS!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

149. LeaveLousyvilleInTheRearviewMirror
    7:06 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I think Cal has a point. If #LouisvilleDoesntExist then we need to start treating them like Lamar or Old Dominion. When they give us a close game we can just pat them on the head, thank them for a good game, and wish them well the rest of the season. Frankly there are at least four teams on our schedule that I consider to be better rivals; UNC, Vandy, Florida, Tennessee, and potentially Arkansas now that Mike Anderson is coaching there. I’d also say Indiana has surpassed Lousyville after watching them be us and Ohio St.

150. WTF
    7:12 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Oh, yeah!!! Cards!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

disclaimer: Actually, a good Cards team is good for KY. We need little brother to push us. When the enemy is strong, we’re stronger. Then, when the media says,’Boy, in the state of KY, those Cards are good. !!!BUT NOT AS GOOD AS THOSE CATS!!! OH YEAH!!!

Then, we can all just propose a toast with our brewskys held high and say !!!H*** YEAH!!!

151. Truth
    7:16 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal’s right. The rivalry has gotten too bitter, and our entire state marches into March with positive thoughts for our team, tinged by hateful thoughts for the other. Frankly, both fan bases would be better off without the series. That much hate can’t be good for a single person, let alone an entire state. Think about it, how many at any other fan bases are actually hoping (in some cases praying) for UK to fail? But we wish ill for UofL, UNC, Duke, Indiana again I would imagine, the list goes on… we accuse little brother of feeling inferior, but constantly concerning ourselves with how well or poorly another school is doing projects an inferiority complex of our own. We are UK, we have NOTHING to feel inferior about. We have NOTHING to prove to anyone… a win against UofL, or any team should be a fore drawn conclusion. There was a time that it was, then Tubby sunk us into ‘parity’ and BCG sunk us under it… we’re back. We can win. We will win. No need to hope for UofL’s failures (except of course, for the day they play us). Otherwise, good luck to’em. They’ll need it if they can manage to meet us again in April.

152. WTF
    7:22 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

149…. No, no, no. Cal is NOT right. Just because our head itches doesn’t mean our brain is working. Cals not right. Nope. NOT RIGHT.

We’re fortunate to have him as a coach. He’s fortunate to have us! Period! Rivalries are BIG, LETS GET TOGETHER AND PARTY AND WATCH UK VS UL FUN!!! Heck. Even UL fans are at those parties.

Instate rivalries are fun. This is our only instate rivalry. At lease from our perspective.

The sports world likes rivalries. Especially instate rivalries like UK vs UL. Just as they like UNC vs Duke, or Auburn vs Alabama. Why do you think it was on a national network and given a prime spot on weekend TV?

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. LIFE IS FUN! SPORTS ARE FUN! RIVALRIES ARE FUN!

But maybe not for everyone. If you fall into that category then please feel free to ignore me altogether and have a Happy New Year. I’m gonna go bust a cold one. CHEERS!!!

153. InternationalPhilosophy
    7:26 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

@148 Well you might not have been the target, because I agree with your post at 150.
    What good is it to beat a rival if the rival is weak?

154. WTF
    7:29 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

151… I don’t hate UL fans. Who hates UL fans. Hate means you want someone dead. Whoever hates is ignorant.

There’s hate, BAD, and there’s Sports hate, FUN.

Geez. Do you hate UL? I mean, HATE hate? Cuz, therapy might be an option.

Heck, we all get together and if we win we just say nyaa! nyaa nyaa nyaa! nyaa! to our UL homies and then we all just grab a cold one. Why so serious?

155. WTF
    7:31 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

153… Got that and YOU RULE!!!

156. Lol
    7:41 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal is right, all coaches should and would think this way. I’m not so sure the game is necessary. Playing in the Big East, Louisville needs to play a Syracuse or Duke style schedule. They would like the extra revenue in the odd year as well. We would be able to add one more made for TV game against an opponent in a different market.

I don’t really like to be around any Louisville fans anyway.Win or not, just don’t like to be around em.

157. Lol
    7:53 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

151 you are an idiot, anyone who isn’t grateful to have Tubby is a dammed idiot. All he did was win a national championship and have 2 more overall number one seeded teams. Without Bogans getting injured he wins another. He had success with class, never was there a team that played harder than Bogans senior year.

Tubby was one of few to ever follow a so called legend with success and class. Billy Clyde didn’t, but still a good coach. Job to big for Clyde. Only a handful could handle job, without Cal we would still be looking for someone with the guts to handle it.

158. UK'64
    8:25 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I’ts just a game. isnt it???

159. chasing #8
    8:29 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal needs to remember the fans pay the bills. Rivalry is what we love. He embraces the fans well just don’t tell us how to think and how to cheer for our team.

160. Hardline Charlie
    8:35 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Downplaying the rivalry doesn’t dismiss some of his coaching mistakes in this game. Since when do we inbound the ball when another team is pressing, and all the other guys are already at the other end with their backs to guy with the ball when he’s being trapped and double teamed?! Teague’s ass should not cross that line until he knows the ball has. Don’t divert attention or downplay a rivalry when fundamentals are being neglected. Bench him until he understands what a point guard is supposed to be.

161. Kymover
    8:38 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

As coach Cal has said the game with UK is the opposing teams Super Bowl. So it must be important to them. And btw you are coaching UK now not umass. Every game is important to us.

162. DukeSucks
    8:40 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal can’t tell us how to feel. The way I feel about this rivalry is the result of a lifetime of experiences as a native Kentuckian and UK grad. I suppose he really just does not get it as much as I thought he did in the beginning. Oh well! And another thing, Coach Cal is really starting to anger me at times with his silly questioning of his audience and listeners at post-game interviews and the Monday Coach Cal radio show with Tom Leach. He can be a condescending a**-hole to the fans and Tom Leach at times but one that can recruit and coach basketball with the best and there is no other college coach on the courts today that I’d rather have as our coach. I guess we have to take the good with the bad. I just really wish he would back off with the UK/UL rivalry comments such as “You people make too big a deal out of this game.”

163. bluegrassjimmy
    9:04 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Knock it off guys, would like to have Tubbie or Billy Clyde back??? Don’t bite the hand that feed your DUMB ASSES!!

164. Lou eaton
    9:12 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Seriously doubt that Cal would have made the comment if UL had won the game. Yeah, we do make too much of every game and not just the UL game but that is what UK BB is all about. It is the big event in Kentucky and always has and will be so yes we do get over excited but please just let us and be glad we are because it’s why you wanted this job!!!

165. Ciggy
    9:13 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

He shouldn’t have said it, it will be blown up into a huge deal. Sort of angry at him for saying that, it’s a HUGE game to most of the fanbase, and you just don’t stomp on that.

He is one hell of a coach, but those comments were POOP!

166. kyrgaines
    9:20 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

He seems to be contradicting himself these days more and more frequently. “This is Kentucky…this is Kentucky”, as he complains about the fans constantly. I’m kinda sick of him talking.

167. #Rise
    9:31 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

It does seem like Cal is starting to feel the pressure.

168. Brandon
    9:40 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

we should drop the series.

169. Ball Eater
    9:44 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

This says it all for mr:
    “Cal stepping it his own bullshit again. We get it Cal. You want it to be a player’s first program for recruiting purposes. But that does not mean you simply disregard the tradition and fan base that helped build this empire you have been allowed to watch over. Maybe you should give a little more respect to the other pieces of this program. You and the players are an important part, BUT not the only part.”

I remind Cal that players come and go…so do coaches. But we are here forever!

I would also remind Cal that there has been only 3 coaches that have not won a national title…and he is one of them. My point…until you have hung a banner in the rafters…don’t try to own us…you still owe us…not we owe you.

I also ask him to stop bitching about signing basketballs during the breaks of the 15 minute postgame show. For some fans, that is the highlight of their year. Respect the fans!

170. Ball Eater
    9:47 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

171. Skeps
    10:37 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

#167 is right on. Pressure is building up. This is not a new development. I remember during his first season he told UK fans to be quiet and just cheer. For all of the fans that say so what he’s winning, I think the Courier-Journal has a job for you.

172. waveydavey
    10:51 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

I totally agree with Cal. It’s no big deal because UofL is irrelevant….PERIOD.

173. rupp's runt
    10:57 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal is correct on the U of L game is not that big. In fact it is one of those games where only UK can loose but not truly win (UK is suppose to win). In the good ole days UK did not play intrastate games. I think we should go back to this policy and not play a cupcake like Loserville. Keep the big games like UNC, Kansas, Duke and dump the cupcakes.

174. Lol
    11:00 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

Cats

175. Lol
    11:17 pm January 1, 2012 Permalink

We do have great fans, we also have some who are not. Second guessing coaching is a sign of ignorance.

Our program has to have a coach with guts, Cal has guts. He will say what is on his mind and stand by it. Don’t let our strength continue to be our weakness. Our support of our program is our strength, our passion is also our weakness.

Give the guy a pass on some things, nobody is perfect. The man can flat recruit and his players get better. And hell yes we are a players first program, always have been. We better always be a players first program.

176. Zack
    12:39 am January 2, 2012 Permalink

He’s right, it is big because we along with card fans take it way too seriously. We lost to them in 98, would we trade our win against Utah for a win against Louisville? I don’t think he was criticizing us for hyping up, but telling us that we’re nuts for caring this much about a non conference game is simply stating a fact. We are the most die hard fans for a reason, we take hoops way too seriously. We should take pride in that, not deny what is blatantly obvious.

177. bluebiscuit
    12:59 am January 2, 2012 Permalink

I get irked by some contradictions that exist nowadays that might not have existed under previous coaches. We now have big-name celebrities coming to the games since Cal came to town — including coming to the UK – U of L game. A big deal is made out of Jay Z or some other well-known person being at the game. These celebrities obviously want to be a part of these events, even this rivalry game, like it’s a big deal. But does Coach Cal make a public statement about the celebrities making too big a deal about the rivalry, since they worked a trip to Lexington into their busy and important schedules? No, he chastises the fans, who have been behind the team for decades, not just the past couple of years. I understand to some degree what he is saying, this rivalry game isn’t that huge a deal in the overall scheme of things, but, I just wish he wouldn’t say it in such a public way. It’s just a rather thoughtless way of treating the fanbase.

178. CryMeARiver
    3:53 am January 2, 2012 Permalink

Sure r some whiney azz bches on here. Cal say something to hurt your wittle feelings? It’s just like Cal’s “yelping dog” quote the other day, and I sure hear some yelping dogs on here. He hears from maniac fans all the time that act like this game is life and death. I’ll say right now a significant portion of our fanbase IS delusional. It’s a fact. But if Cal says it, he just doesn’t “get it”. BS. Everytime a nut-job says that “we” pay his salary, I want to smack somebody. You are an embarassment. Ever listen to the call in show and wonder who are all these idiot hicks calling in? Guess who…….It’s us! Live with it.

179. gacatfan
    7:19 am January 2, 2012 Permalink

Cal is right. It is not a big deal outside of the Commonwealth. UNC v. KY was but UL v. UK was not. UK v UL is a state rivalry, not a national rivalry. Those are just the facts and if you live out of Kentucky you understand what I am saying. Coach Cal understands and was correct in what he said. Fans in Kentucky may not understand and that is OK but don’t get your feels hurt when Cal speaks the truth.

180. Winston Wolf
    7:43 am January 2, 2012 Permalink

Far Cal! You hillbillies are dumb as a box of hammers.

181. Dave in Kabul
    8:35 am January 2, 2012 Permalink

I don’t give a damn if the Coach is the Anti-Christ as long as the sumb*tch wins!!!

Saying the UL Game is not a big deal is something that you can say as a Coach after winning it three times in a row.

GO BIG BLUE!!!

In the grand scheme, it’s only one game. ONE GAME! Lots of emotion rolled into it for in state folks. Probably means more to Darius Miller than anyone else on the team. If any of the kids are into tradition or history of the game, it probably means more to that kid (s).

I’d rather Cal coach UK to his first and UKs 8th National Championship than to win another game against the University of Loserville Tards.

182. best1978
    12:56 pm January 2, 2012 Permalink

Forgive him for he knows not what he says. If it matters to the fans then it matters.

183. Madisonville Rick
    1:45 pm January 2, 2012 Permalink

I think you are all missing the point here, what we need to consider is what Tim Tebow thinks about the game !

184. catfan
    3:55 pm January 2, 2012 Permalink

CAL, it may not be that big of a deal to you, but it is to all of us who live in Louisville and have been CAT fans all out lives. We hear it everyday from the UL and IU fans. When I came in to work after the IU game, I had notes left on my computer and e-mails on top of e-mails. Both of these games are as important as any NCAA tourney game to us!