Cal says Archie is still a work in progress

On this morning’s SEC Coaches’ Teleconference, John Calipari said that the staff is still trying to “figure out” Archie Goodwin. Cal said that Archie has the mentality and drive to be a special player, but that’s he’s still “learning his way” and being too hard on himself:

“(He’s) too hard on himself, a la Derrick Rose. If he misses one shot, it leads to three more misses. If he turns it over, he can’t defend on the other end. Hasn’t put the emphasis on rebounding yet. But he’s a freshman. He’s doing well, and he’s gotten better as the year’s gone on. But opening up his mind, playing through mistakes, playing through turnovers, being in better balance and control, slowing down your mind — it takes years to learn that.”

Random Cal quote of the day: “These iPads are ridiculous, and you really can get stuff on those iPads for your staff and team quickly. You can blow through tapes much faster and with less frustration where you press a button and it goes too far ahead. I mean, they’ve got it down to a science, so it is much easier.”

Don’t lie, Cal. You just like your iPad so you can watch the “Hey Soul Sister” music video.

31 Comments for Cal says Archie is still a work in progress

1. MemphisCat
    1:03 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

Cal with the Understatement of the Year.

2. Jake_GOCATS
    1:03 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

I read a tweet from Erin Calipari where she said her Dad was singing “Rumor Has It” by Adele. First Train, now Adele? Come on, Cal!

3. Jimmy Dykes Caddy
    1:05 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

iPad just announced they are coming out with a new UK version. Big Wildcat on the cover.

4. mudcreekmark
    1:14 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

I know we shouldn’t live in the past, but I miss last years team. Not just the players, but the way they played as a team and played for their school and not themselves. They were one special group that comes along once in a lifetime. I hope next years team proves me wrong so I can say twice in a lifetime but we’ll see.

5. Roland
    1:21 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

Wait until “Google Glass” hits the market.
    Cal will Love these things for getting the message to the players:
    “This is what I see!”

short demo:

6. Jkwon
    1:22 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

What does teamNF exactly?

7. Rixter
    1:23 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

Sounds like Cal is saying we should expect Archie to be back here next year.

8. Jkwon
    1:23 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

That question made no sense! My bad! What exactly does teamNF mean and/or stand for?

9. DrSayre
    1:27 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

10. DrSayre
    1:28 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

I wonder if Archie having to play PG earlier in the season messed him up… I would not want to mess with Cal”s iPad! haha

11. Roland
    1:29 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

6, I posted an answer to that question in another post and it was deleted.
    That should clue You Up.

12. lexslamman
    1:30 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

NF were given about your question.

13. jpo
    1:32 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

6. Team No F**k’s lol

14. jpo
    1:33 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

12. hahahaha

15. Scary Movie 6
    1:35 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

Watching this year’s Team is like watching a “scary movie”. It’s like things are going along just fine, but you know something is going to jump out of the bushes with a chain saw and start slashing everything into pieces. As a fan we can never let down our guard as this “thing” is always lurking in the dark and it can be real scary when it suddenly appears.

16. Guest
    1:40 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

#15 – It’s ok. Uncle Julius will keep us safe.

17. Roland
    1:49 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

2, Adele is she loosing weight?
    Looks it from here Oscar show performance.
    Fearing a diet plan (sponsor money) in her near future.

18. Roland
    1:50 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

losing might work better.

19. oldschool
    2:03 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

We’re paying millions of dollars for a coach who makes groundbreaking discoveries like this?

ALL freshmen are works in progress and still figuring things out.

20. mudcreekmark
    2:04 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

15) UK should be in one of those commercials for Direct TV. Cable is worse than, and then it would go on to show us playing really bad.

21. Hooty
    2:18 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

That must be a nice way of saying he’s uncoachable, a bit of a head case.

22. ebell55
    2:50 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

I think Cal has done a bad job of coaching offense for this team. Case in point Archie hasn’t hit a three in like thirteenth games and he only shot about 12 in those games how about you run him off a screen for an open jumper. Cams use to having athletes that can get buckets he needs to run more sets for guys to get open looks at jumpers instead of telling Goodwin and Harrow to go to the hole. IMO

23. #22
    3:02 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

Archie shooting more threes, open or not, is not the answer.

24. RahRah
    3:14 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

Nope, oldschool, we’re paying millions for a coach that gets us to the Final Four half the time and won a Championship just last year. Money well spent.

25. What u been watchin
    3:25 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

22) Every thing in your post is wrong. We actually run plays for Archie all the time. They set picks all game long for him. Even he has enough brains to not shoot the three. I have wondered all year why they don’t run double or triple screens for Wiltjer to get him open threes. Lord knows he cannot create a shot on his own,so he is the one I wonder why we don’t run more screens for.

26. ebell55
    3:40 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

I was not only talking about Screens for Archie. When was the last time you saw a screen for Mays Wiltjer or Horrow all of our open jumpers come off penetration. The only play ran for Archie is get the ball off of a curl go to the basket and hit the ground 2pts foul or turnover.

27. the comma
    4:08 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

Sometimes I think about creating a list like dogs cats lima beans eggs or you.

28. Roland
    4:21 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

NBA GM’s don’t care what I think, however;
    Archie would be MY highest candidate to return for his 2nd season at UK.
    Great Kid, Great person.
    Needs time to Grow.

29. RealCatsFan
    4:26 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

19, about 5 short years ago we were paying millions of dollars for a coach to get drunk on the golf course, chase after co-eds in hot tubs, and abuse our players, so I would happily spend my money on Cal instead.

A few miles down I-64 they were paying their coach to nail skanks after hours in Italian restaurants. In fact, they even paid for the after-the-fact birth control!

A few miles up I-65 they are paying millions for a coach to send out creepy tweets that were intended for players (or worse, who knows?), who has been to one final four in his coaching career riding the coattails of an NBA player.

I think we are getting pretty good bang for our buck, so far. At least it’s not the government!

30. Roland
    4:59 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

Our Coach makes Millions for ALL of the CBB people looking to make money on college basketball.

31. Eric K
    6:17 pm February 25, 2013 Permalink

#19 =JACKASS!! CAL is worth every penny that he is getting paid! IN CAL WE TRUST!! GO CATS!!