Cal opens up to Andy Katz about next season

High School Basketball: McDonald's All American Games

Let’s take a break from Wiggins Watch for this pleasant reminder that with or without him, we’re going to be really, really good next season. Perhaps sensing the anxiety in the fan base, John Calipari called up his best friend Andy Katz to remind everyone just how good the Cats will be:

“We’re going to be much stronger physically at all positions. Our post presence will be there with Dakari Johnson and Marcus Lee. He’s a lot like Nerlens in terms of blocking shots and going after balls. He’s bouncy with great energy, but he’s not as big. Willie is coming back with one thought in mind: He wants to do something on the basketball court and in the tournament. He’s got something to prove to himself. He’s got a great frame of mind. He understands he’s got to do it and do something different.”

Cal told Katz that he’s thinking about playing Willie Cauley-Stein and Johnson at the 3 and 4, respectively, and also mentioned the possibility of playing Randle at the 3 and Cauley-Stein at the 4. The best part? If some players don’t respond like he wants them to, he’s got his other best friend, the bench, back:

“There will be a lot of teams ahead of us, but we’ll be deeper and the bench will be a great friend of mine. I’ll be able to play like we played at Memphis. We’ll be pressing and getting after people because we have more people. We’re going to have competition.”

Cal also gives Katz a bevy of great quotes about Nerlens Noel, who he says is ahead of schedule in his rehab at Dr. James Andrews’ center in Birmingham.

At this point, Wiggins is just a bonus.

[Katz: Wiggins or not, UK’s options are many]

28 Comments for Cal opens up to Andy Katz about next season

1. lance armstong
    12:53 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

2. nooooo
    12:58 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

This does not bode well for kentuckys chances with wiggins. Cal is already talking about julius and cauly stein at the 3. the latter part I dont understand lol.

3. Steely Dan
    1:01 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

I’m assuming you mean 4 and 5?

4. uhh
    1:03 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

Cal is on crack if he plays Cauley Stein at the 3

5. ducks
    1:04 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

Do you really mean WCS at the 3? Not a good idea based on what we saw from his outside shooting last year.

6. M
    1:12 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

I think Dakari plays the 3 in this scenario. He seems like the typical wing with his versatility and outside shot. He’d be more of a point forward I’d say with how athletic he is.

7. Otis
    1:15 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

Katz: What will the loss to Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT do to your legacy?

Cal: We are in the process of self reporting some minor violations to NCAA and we will ask that last season be vacated

8. Otis
    1:23 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

Sorry guys. Pitino has lost twice in the NIT since joining UL. I’ll now say UK’s loss in the first round of the NIT to make me feel better since I have no life.

9. danielm
    1:26 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

This group will prove the doubters wrong. With or without wiggins

10. Rockfield, KY
    1:26 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

8>3 ; better program
    5 coaches > 2 coaches ; more consisten program

That’s probably the most math Otis has ever been taught.

11. Scooby
    1:27 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

I see no way Cal goes that big. My guess at a starting lineup:

Without Wiggins:

PG: Harrison
    SG: Harrison
    SF: Randle
    PF: Poythress
    C: Willie Cauley Stein

With Wiggins:

Harrison
    Harrison
    Wiggins
    Randle
    WCS

Still the fact that you could have 4-maybe 5 McD’s AA on the bench at any point is crazy. I think you will see Poythress become the guy he is supposed to be going against Randle every day. Dakari at the 3? The dude is measured at a legit 7 foot! WCS cant shoot well enough to play the 3. Poythress doesnt have the handle to play the 3. The 3 will belong to Young or Randle.

2) Cal cant mention him by name…

12. Scooby
    1:29 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

Thats the thing people forget about with UK, we dont really have a true 3 on the team. Young is more of a tall 2 guard and you dont really want Randle or Poythress spending that much time on the perimeter. People act like there is no room for Wiggins and that the other 3 schools have vacancy’s…when UK really needs a true 3 as well.

13. BOSOX
    1:35 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

BOSOX: So, when will you ever come up with something new about Robert Morris and vacated wins against Kentucky?
    Otis: Probably never, I am so obessed with UK I go to their website throw a stupid jab and I think it is so funny! I love making UK fans so mad, it makes my day!!!! Yuckity yuck…..
    BOSOX: Awwww, well best thing to quit worrying about Kentucky basketball is to go outside enjoy the day and find a JOB!!!!!! Douche bag….
    Otis: Your right my life sucks and have no friends! Robert Morris, NIT!!!! Lol… L1C4
    BOSOX: This is exact reason why I hate Louisville fans… Like talking to a pile of horse dung… Idiots

14. Mc
    1:36 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

#11) I agree, but I’d think AP will be the 3 in that scenario if he beats out Young. AP was listed as a SF by multiple recruiting agencies out of high school. Although Young was listed as a 2G at first, he can play the 3 in college. He has the size. I don’t think it’s crazy to have 3 guards in at once either if they have game. I think Young has the tools to be a defensive stopper too. Young will get good minutes off the bench at the 2 and 3.

15. Mc
    1:37 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

#13) That sums it up.

16. I Say
    1:40 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

11 so we are going to put our 6’9 power forward in Randle at the 3 and then put our 6’7 small forward in Poythress at the 4? I doubt it, Alex played out of position all year last season. With our front court being as strong as it I think Alex will stick to the 3 spot this season

17. shelbyjoe
    1:40 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

I don’t like the idea of willie and dakari in at the same time. All that will do is clog the lane as neither can draw their defender away from the basket – who’s gonna guard willie more than 4 feet from the rim? If the lane is clogged – no penetration op for harrisons, young, poythress, etc.. I thought the 2 big idea hurt us this year as neither willie or Nerlens had to be defended away from the baseket.
    I’d much prefer WCS at the 5, Randle at the 4, Poythress/young at the 3. I think it’s a more athletic, quicker, and diverse lineup.

18. Mike
    1:49 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

Great point #11. He can’t call Wiggins name. It is a Violation. So # 2 don’t panic !!!

19. kuhlkat
    2:51 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

I think she meant the 4 and 5–no way Dakari can play the 3–he is a pure 5

20. Eric K
    3:05 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

The starting lineup will be…. Harrison, Harrison, Wiggins, Randle, WCS. GO CATS!!

21. BigBoyBlue
    4:17 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

Starting lineup? We will have two teams of high caliber players. The best thing about the whole scenario is that Cal can then swap guys and find the best mix.
    The only thing I don’t wanna hear is Cal downplay this team’s capability and repeatedly mention lack of experience. Yes, it certainly helps but if you can ball it don’t matter.
    GO BIG BLUE!!!!

22. BigBoyBlue
    4:21 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

Oh, and the BBN needs to quit sleeping on J Young. Dude can flat out produce and will likely be a key contributor. Young Jeezy…Book it!

23. Han
    5:41 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

Imagine our press. We will be one of if not the tallest team in the nation. Four guys close to 7 foot, 2 or 3 around 6’7, and 2 guards at 6’5 plus Hood, Hawkins and Polson.

24. mudcreekmark
    6:50 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

I cannot believe that WCS is a pre-season second team All-American. What did he do that would make anyone think that? Do you think he is better than Randal? No way. Randal is already a ten times better player than WCS. If WCS is a second team then Randal should have been voted first team.

25. mudcreekmark
    6:53 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

No way Poythress starts. He will be lucky to getting 10 minutes a game. Last years recruits just aren’t very good.They should be playing for Morehead or Eastern or someone like that.

26. theSkinny81
    7:03 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

24/25 – Shhhhh…..

27. Pioneer
    8:11 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

We are forgetting that the 1,2, and 3 positions are universal of Coach Cal is going to run true
    Dribble Drive.

28. KevinM
    10:33 pm May 8, 2013 Permalink

AP’s future is at the 3, but based on his perimeter skills, he better get busy if he wants to see court time. He may be back with us as a junior if not.

WCS will be at best 2nd team All-SEC. Too much pre hype right now. WCS vs BobbyMo was nonexistent.

The Harrisons and Young will be very entertaining this year. We could actually have 8-10 guys averaging double figure minutes.