Cal on Louisville winning the title: “We won it first”

DropTheMicCal

John Calipari wrapped up his appearance on Kentucky Sports Radio a few minutes ago, and for the most part, repeated his remarks from yesterday about next year’s team. However, at the end, his swagger swelled and we got some genuine John Calipari 24 karat gold.

Cal really got going when talking about Louisville winning the National Championship. While Cal praised the Cards for their victory, especially Peyton Siva, he put it into perspective with a quote for the ages: “The good news for us in this program is we won it first.” [Big laughter.]

Glad to have you back, Cal.

23 Comments for Cal on Louisville winning the title: “We won it first”

1. Mack
    11:05 am May 16, 2013 Permalink

Don’t know about Siva being better than Bledsoe.

2. Ray J
    11:09 am May 16, 2013 Permalink

Didn’t know Cal was a fan of mine!!

3. UKDMD
    11:13 am May 16, 2013 Permalink

Here come the UK t shirts. Put me down for one!

4. true UK fan
    11:17 am May 16, 2013 Permalink

Thats great that we won one first. The fact is they won the most recent one. He better fix that this year. Especially to make up for the debacle last year.

5. SexnNursinHomes
    11:24 am May 16, 2013 Permalink

Not only did we win it first, but ul has only won it a measley 3 times.

6. stoops pooops
    11:25 am May 16, 2013 Permalink

lololololololololol Oh Cal, you are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo funny (big laughter)

7. Tennessee Wildcat
    11:25 am May 16, 2013 Permalink

Don’t forget: John Calipari said this and should be copyrighted to John Calipari. My thoughts are that the t-shirts “We won it first” proceeds should go to charity via Coach Cal.

8. Hmmmm
    11:31 am May 16, 2013 Permalink

I mean that’s great and all… but I agree with previous comments… it’s more about who won the most recent one… In ten years is that what we’re going to say? “So what if you won it in 2013, we won it in 2012”? Sounds kind of dumb. Plus when they won, we didn’t even make the NCAA tournament. You could even say “we won 3 before you won your third”, but it’s still about who’s the current and reigning national champions…

9. #8
    11:34 am May 16, 2013 Permalink

Sorry, but you really don’t know how that whole process works…

10. Han
    11:35 am May 16, 2013 Permalink

It’s amazing how many Louisville fans, and rival fans in general, have already forgotten we won it.

1) I’d take a freshman Bledsoe playing without Wall (more responsibility) over Siva, and a senior Bledsoe over 3 Sivas. Does anyone expect Siva to be as dynamic in the NBA as Bledsoe is?

11. Hmmmm
    12:05 pm May 16, 2013 Permalink

#23, I am assuming you’re referring to me – yes, I am trying to rationalize the quote which is the main focus of this post. Calipari saying “we won it first” carries about as much power behind it as Louisville claiming they have been to the NCAA tournament more times than Kentucky in the Calipari Era. What happens if Louisville wins it next year? “Louisville won it in 2013 and 2014, but we won it in 2012, yay for us!” is that going to be the quote for all of Big Blue Nation to rally behind? For those of you ready to just fire off all of the accusations of a Louisville fan trolling… hold on just a second… what if Indiana somehow wins the next one or two? We still thrilled we won it in 2012? Or what if Kansas wins the next one or two? We still rallying behind the fact that we won it first by defeating them in 2012? Come on people – it’s an opinion… that I am posting in the comments section. Some of you just need to go start your own website and stop thinking you run this one, as well as BBN.

12. Sotto Capo
    12:20 pm May 16, 2013 Permalink

Matt sure let Cal have it when Cal was at Memphis

Cal will never forget it. Vendetta

13. Cal
    12:27 pm May 16, 2013 Permalink

31 I’m too busy being a boss to worry about what Matt said years ago.

14. Zub
    12:43 pm May 16, 2013 Permalink

Let that weak loserville fan base thump that boney chest. Lord knows it had only been 27 years since a ncaa title. Rick (Sypher) I mean Pitino said he was going to get a tramp stamp of all his mistresses if they make the tournament next year. Cal rules.

15. Blueycat
    12:48 pm May 16, 2013 Permalink

Tyler, if you’re gonna make a post like this you need to delete all of the Ghetto U trolls that you know will flood the comment section.

16. catfangurl70
    12:56 pm May 16, 2013 Permalink

#28-You are WAY over-thinking this thing. It was a funny, tongue-in-cheek response from Cal that we all love to run with and have fun with. Just chill and enjoy.

17. Sammydog
    1:09 pm May 16, 2013 Permalink

The more I learn about Cal, the more I love and respect him. The man has no fear and is always shooting for the moon no matter the arena. He is most entertaining. I think UL’s 2013 championship will be known as the birdie meat between a Big Blue sandwich in 2014. I get the munchies just thinking about.

18. Actually...
    2:22 pm May 16, 2013 Permalink

Oregon won it first.

19. Magic
    3:10 pm May 16, 2013 Permalink

wow so half the comments in this post are gone. some of them were mine and nothing derogatory was said. something strange is happening at ksr land today

20. Schneid52
    3:27 pm May 16, 2013 Permalink

From a cards fan…I think it was tongue in cheek and pretty funny. Let the guy have a little fun. We should all be proud of how our teams have performed over the last few years, it has been quite a run with more to come next season!

21. MAMA
    4:43 pm May 16, 2013 Permalink

Just once I would love to see him try to coach a team of 3 and 4 star recruits. I wonder how far he can take them, since he is such a great coach.

22. Rae
    5:28 pm May 16, 2013 Permalink

22. Why is doing more with less always the mark of a great coach? Why should he have to do that to prove himself? Young, highly talented teams provide their own challenge, one that not many coaches can handle. We will see if Self can handle it this year. Ben Howland proved it isn’t as easy as many think. Coaching basketball isn’t a video game; you can’t plug in X’s and O’s and expect everything to happen the way you planned.

When was the last time a team won an NC without 5 stars? Even UofL had a couple. Weren’t a couple of them burger boys in high school? Pitino holds guys back sometimes to make it look like he’s doing more with less, at least that’s how it seems.

23. kycatman
    6:57 pm May 16, 2013 Permalink

Im with #17, I can’t believe some of you would actually determine this statement by coach as something serious. IT WAS SPONTANEOUS people and meant to be just a JOKE!!! For heavens sake, relax and take a chill pill!! Some people just kill me with their stupidity. Go Cats!!!!!!!! Go Cal!!!!!!!!