Cal offers 2016 point forward Jayson Tatum

jaysontatum

According to Scott Burgess of ChicagoHoops.com, Kentucky has offered 2016 point forward Jayson Tatum a scholarship. Cal watched Tatum over the weekend, and was so impressed that he offered the freshman a scholarship to play at Kentucky. He’s the first player Kentucky has offered in the 2016 class, which also includes phenom Seventh Woods.

Tatum told Burgess that he was “blessed” to get an offer from Cal, and that Cal told him he’s in rare company:

“Coach Cal said he had only offered four underclassmen and he said he can tell I’ve grown a lot over the last year. He wants me to come down when I get back from USA to visit.”

When asked about Cal, Tatum said that he likes how he helps his players reach their dreams: “I like how he doesn’t hold his kids back. Lets them play and helps kids reach their dream and get to the NBA.”

Tatum also has offers from Florida, Kansas, Marquette, Memphis, and Missouri. Why did Cal offer him a scholarship so soon? At 6’7″, 175 lbs., Tatum has the size to be an elite player, along with an advanced skill set for a kid his age. In a profile for SLAM, ESPN National Recruiting Analyst Reggie Rankin says that Tatum’s upside is why coaches are offering him so soon:

“Obviously he’s talented and has size. But his skill level is so far developed at this stage. He can make plays usually kids his age are not that advanced to do. He’s got great size and a feel for the game, and ahead of his time for his grade. Being a 6-7 wing player, and versatile, will give him the opportunity to be a special player.”

Watch the young man work.

18 Comments for Cal offers 2016 point forward Jayson Tatum

1. LDE
    10:37 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Coach is going scholarship crazy this week, huh?

2. BCG
    10:40 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

I hope you project young kids better than I did. It’s not always best to be an early arrival to the party.

3. reedwizard
    10:46 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Looks really good for a freshman with good skills. But he also reminds me of Wiltjer a bit. Slow, no explosion, handles a little better. I would’ve thought Cal would offer Seventh Woods before this kid. That guy is super explosive.

4. MonkeyHumpnaFootball
    10:52 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Thats a bit early but trust in Cal.

5. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    11:06 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Cal is smart. He waits for Kansas to offer before he offers. It was not long ago when Self and Tubby headed the coaches committee that blasted BCG for offering young kids.

6. Musehobo
    11:15 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

I don’t care if Cal recruits Kindergartners, if he continues to what he’s done here, I won’t rag on him.

And I really don’t think we would have cared if BCG did this as well, if any of those guys had actually turned out to be any good. Unfortunately, BCG couldn’t do anything right.

7. Dustin
    11:19 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Same high school and AAU team as Bradley Beal. Florida gave an early offer also. Wonder how that will affect his recruitment??

8. Battletide
    11:31 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

What is a “point forward”? Does that mean he can power it to the hoop on the low post and run the offense, cut to the basket, AND shoot the 3?? If so, then I see why we offered!

9. Spenser
    11:45 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

That’s essentially what a point forward is. A real good recent example in college would have been Royce White. I’m liking the idea of Seventh Woods and this kid on the same team. Also, I think as he matures and works out more, he should develop more explosiveness. The kid looks lean and like he takes care of his body. I don’t think Wiltjer has lifted a free-weight in life.

10. Rockfield, KY
    11:50 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

3. He’s only 14 or 15 years old. Karl Towns was also a step slow and didn’t have much explosion but that has changed. I think this kid will be fine. Being a 6’7″ kids who can shoot and handle the ball sounds like someone Cal could use.

11. Bulldawg
    12:04 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

It looks like this kid plays under control, some may say he lacks explosion, but I would rather have a guy that plays under control and only uses that explosion when he needs to. It also looks like he has great touch and a feel for the game. I don’t think Cal would have offered if he was not a great athlete.

12. Wall2Cousins
    12:09 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

3 is flippin retarded…the kid not coming out for another 3 years and this tard is comparing him to Wiltjer already….get a clue mor0n

13. me
    12:23 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

#9 – spot on with Royce White, he’s a prototypical point-forward. Previous “point-forwards” that people will know: Larry Bird and Magic Johnson (this was before they invented the point-forward term – everyone called Larry a small forward and Magic a point-guard), Scottie Pippen, annnd Lebron James.

14. catsfan32
    1:06 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

You all are forgetting about Draymond Green. He’s much better than Royce White.

15. HarrisonToRandle
    1:15 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

The 2016 is one of the most talented classes I have seen. Do yourself a favor and Check out Thon Maker http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai6ICoriN58 , Harry Giles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ptLilNuTf8 , Josh Langford http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLlO0NjYmes , VJ King http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLO_y7tgxcI , and Justin Jackson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkFrTXfUYl0

2016 class will be better than this years 2013 class. Seventh Woods is in this class too. Thon Maker will be the best Center we will ever have. This class is ridiculously talented. Cal needs to offer the whole top ten now.

16. Teachable Mo'
    1:35 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Kid looks like his voice hasn’t changed yet. He’s still a baby.

17. tennisman
    3:05 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

#12 there is no reason to say #3 is moron, while it is true he is a freshman and surely will improve, he does seem to be slow. However at 6-7 that is normally the case.

18. andrea -
    1:33 am May 3, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky Sports Radio » Blog Archive » Cal offers 2016 point forward Jayson Tatum