Cal invites fans to go to Maui with him, says we can leave the team at home

690x380-Maui-Beach-01

Last weekend, John Calipari dashed the hopes of fans wanting the Cats to travel to the Maui Invitational in 2014, saying that he wasn’t interested in playing in a tournament that would keep his team off-campus for three straight games. But, before you put down your ukelele or take off your lei, Calipari threw out another idea: let’s go, just not take the team.

In an interview with WKYT, Cal explained why he declined the Maui Invitational invite and proposed a fan trip to the Aloha State with him and his wife…while the team stays at home:

“It’s not just Maui, it’s any tournament that we have to be off campus three games, I mean we’re just not doing it. At this point, where we are as a program, we’ve got better ways of using our financial wherewithal.

And I would tell any of our fans that really want to go to Maui. Why don’t we do a trip, Ellen and I will go with you. We don’t have to bring the basketball team, Why have you got to bring the basketball team? We’ll go vacation out there, maybe we’ll go for four days, we’ll have a couple dinners, a couple functions and come back. We don’t need to bring the team with us.”

I’m in.

32 Comments for Cal invites fans to go to Maui with him, says we can leave the team at home

1. Jumanji Jim
    11:05 am May 3, 2013 Permalink

Well, there you go.

2. Don Corleone
    11:17 am May 3, 2013 Permalink

This makes no sense. None at all. This is so un-Caliparian.

3. ksr reader
    11:25 am May 3, 2013 Permalink

very disappointing to say the least. First the Indiana game now this? I have been to Maui the past 3 times we have played – it is the greatest times and the fans love it. Everyone gets so rowdy in the little gym. DUKE KANSAS UNC all do it— this is absolutely ridiculous.

4. ksr reader
    11:26 am May 3, 2013 Permalink

PLAY THE STUFF WE ARE SUPPOSED TO PLAY IN !! CMON CAL! ITS NOT A CALCULUS PROBLEM!!

5. Foot Stabber
    11:26 am May 3, 2013 Permalink

I bet everyone will be wearing flip flops out there… 😉

6. UKnation
    11:37 am May 3, 2013 Permalink

Shotgun!!

7. Wahh
    11:37 am May 3, 2013 Permalink

We should all get together and cry and complain instead. Boohoo

8. jpizzle
    11:39 am May 3, 2013 Permalink

4- Why are you yelling and why are we “supposed” to play in Maui? Because you demand it? I trust Cal to do what’s best for the University and the players, you should try it.

9. Mr. Blonde
    11:51 am May 3, 2013 Permalink

Erin going?

10. kybigblue
    11:57 am May 3, 2013 Permalink

Many fans especially those without season tickets enjoy not only being in Maui but having an opportunity to see their team play three games. Instead of sitting far away from the court in a large arena like Rupp, in Maui there are no bad seats.

On the other hand whether the team plays in Maui should be up to the coach and university not the fans. Because it may be a fan favorite doesn’t mean it is what is best for the team. Playing three games in three days is hard especially on a young team. The only other time you might play three games in a row is in the SEC tournament (Cal is not a big supporter of a conference tournament) while in the NCAA tournament you don’t even play two days in a row.

11. Jim
    12:07 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

NCAA is getting excited to see how they can find a violation out of this.

12. What???
    12:08 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

You bunch of cry babies!!! BOO HOO!! I don’t get to watch the Cats play in Maui!!! Get over it!! Cal knows what is best for the program, and I support his decisions wholeheartedly. I don’t give a fiddler’s damn what UNC and Kansas do. Last time I checked, neither of them had eight national titles.

13. youknow
    12:12 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

Set the date Cal. Can we at least take the team plane?

All you whiners need to get over it. “Boo hoo we don’t play Indiana, boo hoo we don’t play in the Maui invitational.” There is plenty of good games on our schedule.

14. Don Corleone
    12:29 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

Yeah let’s not play the most competitive preseason tournament around…let’s have a Kentucky Invitational and just win games in Rupp. Absolutely dumb and selfishly doesn’t give fans vacation to watch the team.

15. Don Corleone
    12:29 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

10) spot on.

16. Bobbum man
    12:32 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

Cal buyin?

17. tltaworl
    12:34 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

I am a fan of more neutral site games in Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, etc… That gives people who can’t get to Rupp a chance to see the team play. The Maui trip is exciting but how many fans can really make the trip? A few hundred? Where as we can pack an NBA arena against a marquee opponent. Brooklyn/Chicago/Dallas this year. I would take those over a trip to Maui.

18. Sayeth
    12:48 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

Actually, he didn’t know he was being interviewed in that video. He’s just hitting on Amber Philpot in the WKYT studio.

19. How about...
    12:57 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

How about if I go on a trip to Hawaii, on Cal’s dime, with his gorgeous daughter Megan? Deal? Good.

20. Seriously?
    12:59 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

@ 14…

You’re a moron. Selfish would be pricing thousands of fans out of a chance to see the team play by going to Maui. Playing at Rupp gives way more fans a chance to go to the game, and you’re a fool.

21. UKMILZY
    1:03 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

The only disappointing thing about Cal. I was in Maui about 5 years ago during the tournament and got to see all the teams in my hotel, it was cool – but UK wasn’t there that year. We’ve been planning a trip back MAUI = GREATEST PLACE ON EARTH; MAUI + UK BASKETBALL = HEAVEN. Guess we’ll have to wait for Cal’s retirement.

22. Billy
    1:09 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

Cal doesn’t want to play three games away from home. Guess he doesn’t want to play in March either…

23. Musehobo
    1:14 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

It’s Cal’s job to prepare these kids for the NCAA tourney. If he thinks the Maui Invitational tourney doesn’t help us (and I’ll be damned if he doesn’t make sense), then the Maui Invitational doesn’t help us. Stop being selfish babies.

24. shannon
    1:43 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

Sounds like fun. If Cal doen’t want the team to go fine.

25. Billy
    1:52 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

Cal’s the one being selfish. Too worried about an undefeated season. Early tournaments like the Maui prepare teams for what it will be like in the NCAA tourney. Both Louisville and Duke played in the Bahamas last season and look where they ended up. It’s a good measuring stick for any team. I guess the Keightley Classic and it’s loaded field of high RPI teams will better prepare UK for the NIT again.

26. JustSayin
    1:53 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

Disagree with Cal on this. If this is a “player’s first” program then he is denying the players something special and memorable. Not all his players will be pro players and this may be the only chance for some people to see Hawaii. It is not ALL about the finish line, the journey is important too.

27. Jeremy
    2:38 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

Coach, I live in Maui…I am a manager at a beach front restaurant…i’ll take good care of u guys. Also, during the day i run a kayaking business too where we do tours! Look I just saved u guys a bunch of money and u didnt even have to switch to GEICO! Don’t be selfish Cal…grant our boys the right to play in such a beautiful and amazing place that some people will never see in a lifetime. I live less than a mile from the Lahaina Civic Center and its a great small venue. Honestly, all the locals (lost of the locals), love the wildcats! They see me in my gear everyday and I have recruited them to join in on the madness of a fan base we have. I’m not so sure that the local Hawaiians are going to fly to lexington to see them, so i think you should give the Hawaiians the opportunity to see what a real college basketball team looks like in a small venue. GO CATS!

28. Roy Combs
    2:50 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

Let’s do this!

29. Weeze
    3:21 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

Lets go Cal! I am in!! All you haters can…. “SUCK IT!”

30. KevinM
    4:01 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

MJ, get Cal to stick to his word and let’s go to Maui to celebrate #9 next year!

That team plane idea is gold!

31. McSwaggin
    4:25 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

Count me in!! Haha make the reservations. The only tourney we need to worry about are the two in march! We play a Maui invitational already in our schedule, actually our schedule is more difficult than the Maui field! Louisville,Mich St, UNC, Boise! Cal is doing the right thing! Instead of going to Maui he’s keeping the boys at home and getting the Chemistry right! Go Cats!!

32. Dc cat
    10:46 pm May 3, 2013 Permalink

25 – really?! Doing what he thinks is right for the team and their development is selfish? Man, we’ve got some strange fans.