Cal: “I’m at my best when the gun’s to my head.”

DropTheMicCal

Drew will be back soon with more from Cal’s press conference, but here’s another great quote to tide you over until then. When asked about his dreams of going 40-0 next season and whether or not that creates too much pressure for the team, Cal said bring it on: “Pressure brings out your best. I’m at my best when the gun’s to my head.

Even without a certain number one player, Cal is not backing down on the talk of going undefeated: “We’re chasing perfection. We’re chasing greatness. We’re chasing things that have never been done.”

Cal was careful to make going undefeated a goal, not an expectation. He said that this team probably won’t hit it’s stride until January, and “if we lose a game, it doesn’t mean it’s not a successful season. But let’s chase greatness.

Sounds like Cal’s got his swag back. Is it November yet??

23 Comments for Cal: “I’m at my best when the gun’s to my head.”

1. Rockfield, KY
    12:07 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

Sounds like Cal circa 2009 and 2011 preseasons

2. Jimmer224
    12:08 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

This team won’t go undefeated, but that’s not what is important. This team will contend for and hopefully win #9, which is extremely important.

I wouldn’t mind losing earlier in non-conference play just to get the one loss out of the way, so 40-0 is not a talking point all season long. I think its more of a distraction that takes away from the real goal which is a National Championship.

3. TexasDon
    12:11 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

What good comes from all this “undefeated talk” concerning a team that has yet to set sneaker to court together? While last year’s team didn’t have nearly as much hype, one might think an NIT bid would teach a few lessons. This team should aspire for greatness, but one step at a time would seem more prudent.

4. drthunder
    12:19 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

what if wiggins showed up today in lexington and said, “I don’t know if it’ll make any change, but I figured it’s time for me to start playing ball.”

5. rick
    12:25 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

Maybe someone should have put a gun to his head last year.

6. Tom Crean
    12:28 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

I’m at my best when Jim and John Harbaugh have their “gun’s” up to my head. Wink, Wink!

7. Boogie
    12:33 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

I hate when people say “we need to lose to get it out of the way.” No. We don’t need to lose. Isn’t the point to win every game you play? Losing isn’t helping anybody. 40-0 isn’t a distraction it’s a goal. Our goal is to win every game. How is that a distraction?

8. Mc
    12:36 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

I’m with you Boogie. When I played competitive sports my goal was to win. There was no pressure outside of that. Win 1 game, then move on and try to win the next. I think as competitors UK’s players and coaches will want to win them all. Who wouldn’t? Losing one game shouldn’t take any pressure off of them if they just focus on each individual game.

9. S Archer=Kent Sterling?
    12:39 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

Mrs. TT,
    Can you get rid of the link in #5? I think it’s Kent trolling trying to pimp out his link to get clicks.
    Thanks.

10. Han
    12:46 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

3) A challenge comes from it. Cal evidently believes such aspirations will be met by guys like the twins, Randle, et al. If he didn’t think they had more of a killer instinct than last year’s team, he’d be downplaying expectations like he usually does.

5) Because no other fans bashed him, and because Kansas fans were all roses and gumdrops to Randle when he came to UK.

Also, how’s that investigation into the AAU coach going?

11. Han
    12:47 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

In 10, the original #5 is gone.

12. Maxbps8
    12:51 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

I hope all this focus and attention on Wiggins fires JRandle up and drives him to be the POY next year while winning NC#9. Then again Aaron…or Andrew…or Marcus……..or James Y….or Dakari….or Willie. I hope it fires up the Whole Team.

As for Wiggs, congrats and good luck on your college year at ku and your pro career. It makes sense w/ his brother 90-minutes away, him not wanting to go to summer school – not sure what that’s all about but when that was reported we knew he was not coming to UK (CoachCal is really BIG on the kids getting together over the summer to start the teamming process) nor going to FSU (as they are heading to Italy together over the summer). Which really just left ku.

Gonna be a GREAT CBB season! Go KATS!

13. Feesh
    12:52 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

Did someone steal his gun last season?

I’ll give him one thing though… He sure knows how to keep his sheep in line. Cal speaks and BBN says “Baaaaaaaaaaaaa”

14. blackhawk509
    12:56 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

I like Cal and we all say stupid things, but with all the gun violence going on he choose a bad metaphor.

15. Bigbluetrue
    1:04 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

I have no problem with ANYTHING Cal said— especially the 40-0 part! Get your big boy pants on and let’s roll!!!

16. Factually Speaking
    1:15 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

14: Actually, with gun purchases soaring the last couple of years, crime has plummeted in America. Statistics show that crime has dropped more than 49%. “An armed society is a polite society”, as Ben Franklin said. Of course the media would have you think otherwise (that crime is going up), so they can push their gun-grabbing agenda.

17. Blueycat
    1:30 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

Feesh, we are gonna bust UL’s ass next season. You can believe that. Someone needs to delete the posts of all these UL trolls. I thought it was the writer’s responsibility to do that. Well you’re doing a terrible job of that. You need to go to approve to post or something.

18. Paul
    1:43 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

Feesh- baaaaaaa. Baaaaaaa. Bleat. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

19. blackhawk509
    2:13 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

16. Crime and gun violence are two separate statistics…as per Bloomberg News, American gun deaths are up over the the last 10 years and at the current rate will surpass automobile accidents in the next two years.

20. wrong
    2:47 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

19… I just looked that up and that’s not right AT ALL!… The top 5 accidental causes of death in the U.S. are… 5.choking 4.fires 3.falls 2.poisonings 1.motor vehicle accidents. Guns don’t kill people, people kill people.

21. mashburnfan1
    3:14 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

20} problem with that arguement is gun deaths are not by accident, at least the vast majority of them. If you look up accidental deaths then I am sure gun deaths will be lower than your top 5 listed. Number 19 did not say accidental deaths he said American gun deaths.

22. blackhawk509
    3:25 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

Thanks 20. here is the article} http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-19/american-gun-deaths-to-exceed-traffic-fatalities-by-2015.html And 19 you weren’t wrong…you are either misinformed or too lazy before posting, the key hints was Bloomberg and American gun deaths.

23. Otis
    4:23 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

Spoken line a real sotto capo