Cal gets in a jab at Bobby Knight during charity event in Indiana

Yesterday, Cal spoke at the Smart Futures dinner for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Wayne County, Indiana and the fact that he was in the Hoosier state was not lost on him. But, instead of mentioning current IU coach Tom Crean, Cal aimed his comments at his predecessor, Bobby Knight, who as recently as last season, accused Cal’s players of not going to class and the program for giving academics a low priority. During his speech, Cal managed to get in a jab at Knight and maybe even UNC over their recent academic fraud scandal:

“A lot of people think players at our level don’t attend class or are given their grades. Absolutely not true. Anthony Davis, No. 1 pick in the draft, was a 3.8 student and he finished the school year.”

Somewhere, Bobby Knight is putting his hands over his ears and shaking his head violently.

When asked how he is able to rebuild entire teams into championship contenders year after year, Cal said that 1) he never looks back; and 2) focuses on getting the right kind of player into his system:

“I’m not one to look in the rear-view mirror. Last year is over. That trophy is in the case. Now, how do we make this team the best team it can be. All we’re trying to do is make sure we’re bringing in kids that understand that this (Kentucky) isn’t the easiest place to play basketball … I tell them that they will have to play at a high level, train at a high level, play with other guys who can play, and you must share and do it together.”

Simply put: if you can’t handle the absurdity of autographing an actual baby, or living in the BBN fishbowl, this might not be for you. That’s why they call us elite.

[Palladium-Item: Calipari captures crowd’s attention]

18 Comments for Cal gets in a jab at Bobby Knight during charity event in Indiana

1. Rockfield, KY
    4:03 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

If Cal wants Bobby’s respect, it’s real simple. Take one of the kids on the team that he can man-handle (Brian Long), and slap him around a big while violently cussing him. Maybe get in a choke or an eye gouge too. Then Bobby will see that he is a serious basketball coach who does things the right way and he’ll leave Cal alone.

2. Jax Teller
    4:07 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

JOEY SLICE!!!! That’s a panty dropper on the right people.

3. Rambo
    4:21 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

Oh I know they didn’t just desecrate the brow! We bow to that brow and it doesn’t just go on anybody! This may just lead to a holy war of some sort!

4. SoCal Will
    4:23 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

Take the gloves off, Cal. Remind everyone Pat Knight was let go because Gillispie was available….

5. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    4:27 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

Don’t really see the jab at Knight. I guess cause he was in Indiana maybe but a hell of a lot of people say the same things about UK all over the country.

6. knightynight
    4:29 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

i agree 5. i didn’t see any jab ha.

7. C8s
    4:50 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

Love it Jax. Somehow his slight build brings in the ladies. The one you have to worry about is the two fister on the right in the smedium polo. Another of Marion County’s finest.

8. C8s
    4:52 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

On the left I mean.

9. Dear UL and IU fans, We are national champions; you are not. The end.
    5:05 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

I’ve been practicing my superman punch for the next time I see knight in public.

10. Swoony
    5:12 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

#7…busted out the SMEDIUM?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVvRwtzHcWI

11. Bob
    5:27 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

Iu is fun to make fun of…they are jokes

12. C8s
    5:30 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

Swoony, surprised I beat you to the draw.

13. Pat Knight
    5:45 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

That sick SOB left me with a bare cupboard when I took over.
    Wanted to ensure my failure.
    He should be horse whipped, choked and sensored.
    What an [email protected]# [email protected]@# !

14. Pat Knight
    5:55 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

Dad and Brent are the lousiest announcing duo ever teamed together.
    All Dad can say is, “he shot that ball to soon” or “he should have gone to the bucbet”
    Bucket,bucket,bucket, all I have heard all my life is bucket.
    Wish he had a bucket over his ugly head.

I deserved that Texas Tech job…got it on my own merrits, but he screwed me by leaving the cupdoard bare.
    I won’t forget.

15. Fort Worth Cats Fan
    6:09 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

SoCal nailed it Pat. All that needs to be siad is, “Sup, Knight?”

16. KY Realist
    6:10 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

Cal never seems to take the high road. I guess that is no surprise. Also, getting good grades and earning them are two totally different things. I bet Bledsoe got good grades as well and he reads on about a third grade level. I bet he cannot spell his name without help.

17. Riiight
    10:38 pm September 21, 2012 Permalink

Anthony Davis had a 3.8, and Eric Bledsoe had a 4.0. If you’ve ever heard Eric Bledsoe speak, it is abundantly clear that the young man may not be capable of spelling his first and last name, nevermind succeed in a collegiate environment.

18. Bec