Cal: Cats need to “lose themselves” in the team

Cal’s theme this week with the media? Certain players needing to “lose themselves” in the team. Cal said that some players (cough, Archie, cough, Ryan) are so wrapped up in trying to establish who they are as individual players that they aren’t buying in to the team mentality. When asked why he was so down on UK’s guards in recent weeks, Cal said he wasn’t down on them, he’s just “raising the bar and asking them to reach higher and play to the best version of themselves for our team.”

His frustrations led to a meeting with the team and staff yesterday, in which he went around the room and made sure that each player understood exactly what the staff was asking from them. “So there should not be any doubt with the individual player. So now it becomes a choice: ‘Are you going to do what we’re asking (you) to do or not?'”

Tomorrow night’s game will be a big test of whether or not those players are ready to make the commitment. South Carolina head coach Frank Martin said that the only way to hang with Florida is guard play. Kentucky’s guards have had varying success against teams with strong guard play, from Harrow stepping up and taking on Peyton Siva against Louisville to Archie Goodwin and Ryan crapping the bed during the Notre Dame game. Which version of our guards will show up tomorrow?

You better lose yourself in the music, the moment, You own it, you better never let it go…

16 Comments for Cal: Cats need to “lose themselves” in the team

1. Uk
    12:50 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Eminem is the best rapper

2. josh
    1:02 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

where is marshall these days?

3. Ibescootch
    1:05 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Em has apparently let go of the music…

4. ukcatsfan2
    1:12 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

If the Guards don’t show up tomorrow night, it will be a short night for UK!

5. Al's IndiCats
    1:13 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

That’s been te roll of the dice all season long, how are the guards going to play. It’s been from WOW whatta pass, to……. are you kidding….who was he giving that soft pass to, a 4 year old? I love it when the guards make great plays, there just hasn’t been enough of them this year.

6. wilDCat
    1:18 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Al, I totally agree. When the guards play well it looks amazing. You get those flashes of great drives and layups by Archie/Ryan, amazing passes and kick outs to sweet shots by Mays/Wiltjer or dunks by Noel/Poythress. But then you get times where you see just passes to nowhere, running into defenders with nowhere to go, just throwing te ball away, etc. and it’s frustrating. So much potential, but so often it is just squandered.

7. Sammydog
    1:22 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think the guards have the right stuff to do what the team needs. If they were going to change we should have seen some signs of that by now. I applaud Cal for continuing to try but some guys just don’t have it. Combine Polston’s heart with Harrow’s ability and we would have a very good point guard. Combine Mays experience and maturity with Archie’s potential and we have a good shooting guard. I hope I am wrong but I just don’t see it happening.

8. Mess038
    1:24 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

9. alex
    1:31 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

FYI. Harrow didn’t play against ND.

10. ThatsAShame
    1:34 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Cal is earning his money this year. A lot more individual workouts, screaming on the sidelines, hand holding, team meetings. This group is a lot of work. But he must see something in them that encourages his to keep pushing. Otherwise he could easily let the season play out.

He won the NC last year and has a monster class coming in next year. But for some reason he keeps pushing them. I wonder if we will see the greatness that he sees. I hope so.

11. Mrs. Tyler Thompson
    1:38 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

9 – That’s what I thought too, but I checked the box score. He played nine minutes and scored two points.

12. Al's IndiCats
    1:54 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

10, that’s exactly what I think. He sees something in this team for only god knows they’ve done enough for Cal to pull a Frank Martin and just quit coaching while a game’s still playing….Tomorrow night will be the toughest for them for sure. We’ve seen Flashes of greatness this year, right along with Flashes of WTH?

13. Sammydog
    2:28 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

#10 I don’t see Cal ever giving up on a team or his players. He seems to feel an obligation to players who want to play for him to bring out their best and improve their lives and their families. I just don’t see him not continuing to try.

14. Beverly
    3:25 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

@ 10 – Cal keeps pushing because he’s Cal. I can’t imagine him EVER giving up on a team; and he’s said often enough he likes this team. I’d want my coach to keep pushing and working even we had no wins whatsover. THAT is why he is the coach he is.

15. Beverly
    3:26 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

LOL @ Sammydog – GMTA?

16. eh
    5:37 pm February 11, 2013 Permalink

Dropping Eminem lyrics now?
    /wrists