Cal asks Coach Rupp some questions during his latest Mailbag episode

Screen shot 2013-03-13 at 3.11.28 PM
Caption This!

Before the Cats head to Nashville, Cal wanted to get in one more episode his Mailbag series. Click the pic to watch, or enjoy these quick hitters:

— When asked the different personalities on this year’s squad, Cal said that while the guys all like and respect each other, they still stuffer from a lack of communication and trust on the court. Additionally, they’re all too focused on trying to establish themselves on the court instead of “losing themselves in the team.”

— What would solve that problem? A few veterans and a deep bench.

— Jody Fleming had a great question for Cal: “What would be the one thing you’d like to ask Coach Rupp if he were still alive?” Cal said that he’d ask Rupp about his organization and consistency, specifically why he held two hour practices. Also, why wasn’t Rupp into the dribble drive? (Ha) Finally, why did Rupp insist on doing the warm-ups he did, like figure eights?

Here’s a fun question for the comments section: what would Rupp ask Cal?

24 Comments for Cal asks Coach Rupp some questions during his latest Mailbag episode

1. bpisforuk
    5:07 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

“Why do you eat @ Orange Leaf? I wound never touch anything orange!! “

2. Bicycle Seat Sniffer
    5:10 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

“What is it like to play in color instead of black and white?”

3. MemphisCat
    5:10 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Rupp: Why do you spend so much time recruiting players? Either they want to play for Kentucky or they want to play for a loser!

Cal: Because players want to be Serenaded by the coaches these days.

Rupp: Hogwash, you can win without those Pansie Sissy Boys, you need Men at Kentucky that want to play for Kentucky.

4. MemphisCat
    5:11 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

“What in the Hell is Midnight Madness?”

5. Geewillakers
    5:30 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

“How come these boys don’t like showing off their upper legs anymore?”

6. Bluecat
    5:35 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Rupp’s question to Cal;

“By Gawd Cal, why don’t you have your
    players practice shooting free throws
    more?, don’t you realize poor shooting at the line can cost you the game?.

7. Funny stuff
    5:38 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

#2 That was funny. Laughed out loud.

8. JR
    5:39 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Rupp: What kind of ice cream is this?

9. BeauKnows
    5:49 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Who’s your tailor? Mine carries nothing but brown suits.

10. Dano
    6:02 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Isn’t it against the rules to play freshmen? You won what with them? Who is this a$$plug Mark Emmert? Was Enes a slave? Why did you try to free him?

11. #1UKfan
    6:17 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Rupp:”What’s in that salad?”

12. Bleed blue
    6:25 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

What is swagger?

13. good point
    6:32 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Rupp to Cal: What’s the deal with that clock that only goes up to 35?

14. good point
    6:35 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Rupp to Cal: Holy Milkbags! Oscar Combs is still around? He’s so old Mary and Joseph got voted cutest couple at his senior prom! Seriously, when he was a kid, the Dead Sea was still just sick!

15. Good Point
    6:42 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Cal to Rupp: How much did it hurt when the university forced you to start allowing African Americans to play on your team?

16. Dr. Funke
    6:55 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

15 – Why don’t you try doing a little research, you might learn something, instead of getting all your info from glory road like a pea brain.

17. oldschool
    8:02 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Rupp to Cal –

“Son, you’ve got potential and the dribble drive thing needs a little more discipline. Trust me, I know a thing or two about putting up points and getting up and down the basketball court. I changed the game. Look at the scores in college basketball before I arrived.

“But a little advice, son. This progam does not belong to young kids who come here for 8 months. This program belongs to the kids who played for me when I got here. It belongs to the legacy of boys in the 40s who spent years in another uniform serving this country, then came back to put on the blue and white. This program belong to the millions of Kentuckians, past, present and future who have created the greatest atmosphere in all of college sports. Don’t ever forget that. Don’t insult the fans or all the previous 600 plus players who put on this uniform, and don’t forget that probably about 70 percent of them were native Kentuckians.

“Most of all, don’t forget who built this program. There have been six coaches at this university since I took over in 1930 (I don’t count that idiot Gillispie) and five of them have won NCAA titles. Don’t ever think success at UK is about the coach – it’s about the program and I built it. I built it with hard work, a team concept and a philosophy that no player is bigger than the unit.

“And one other thing, one of my former players once wrote a book that put life into proper perspective. Ed Beck was the center on my 1958 Fiddlin’ Five team and he played with a heavy burden on his shoulders as his dear wife was dying of cancer. He penned the book “Billie” about their life together and his time at UK. Read it. Tell all UK fans to read it. And remind them that even old Adolph knows that there truly are things a little more important than basketball. Not many – but a few.”

“Oh yeah – put a tie on By Gawd!”

18. Uk4life
    8:43 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

My hubby and I laughed till it hurt at many of these comments. good penning folks!

19. Coach Rupp
    9:11 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

“Cal thank you for coaching this program. I just have one question…. If you had to pick someone from my coaching days who would it be?”

20. I Am Spartacus
    9:36 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

“I gotta ask you one thing boy, who the hell cuts your hair?”

21. katzrjamers
    10:29 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

“When I retired they built Rupp Arena and gave me a La-Z-Boy recliner at half court when I wanted to see the Cats play. Keep at it and you may get a Caliseum and a treadmill to keep you from running on the court. You just need three more banners and one Olympic gold. You got it in you?”

22. John Wall's Dougie
    10:37 am March 14, 2013 Permalink

Why don’t you play Hood, Polson, and Wiltjer more together? Maybe toss in some Lanter and Malone! That’s the key to success!

23. yummy
    4:16 pm March 14, 2013 Permalink

My wife makes an incredibly salad. She puts it in a bowl about this size. I really enjoy eating it.

24. yummy