Cal and the “untold story” of UK’s graduation rate

graduation

“The untold story at Kentucky.”

It’s a headline that reeks of Thamel or Forde, but it was actually written by John Calipari. Today, Cal put a post out on his website detailing the program’s many accomplishments under his reign: 17 draft picks, a national championship, unparalleled exposure, etc. etc. But, before you discount his post as another Calipari humble brag, he wants to add another accomplishment to that list: academics.

No, really. Let ’em have it, Cal:

Of our 10 players who have been eligible to graduate by the end of their senior years, all 10 will have graduated after this weekend. For you math majors out there, that’s 100 percent. We’ve also had a 3.0 cumulative grade-point average over the last three years.

(The snarky math majors line makes me love Cal even more.)

Who are those ten? Ramon Harris, Mark Krebs, Perry Stevenson, Patrick Patterson, Eloy Vargas, Josh Harrelson, Darius Miller, Jarrod Polson, Jon Hood and Twany Beckham, the latter three of which will receive their degrees this weekend. Cal also points out that if you count Wayne Turner and Marquis Estill, who have both come back to finish their degrees since he’s been here, the number of graduates goes up to 12. Additionally, the team had five players on the SEC Winter Academic Honor Roll this year, which doesn’t include freshmen, and UK’s four-year APR composite score of 963 is “well above the NCAA’s cutoff mark of 930.” Hardly Harvard, but hey, we’ve got national championships to win here.

As college basketball’s unofficial “one and done” rep, Cal has received plenty of criticism over the years for players leaving early. I can’t help but roll my eyes a little bit when he starts raving about our “graduation rate,” but something that he and the program should be commended for is the number of players that return during the offseason to work towards getting their degrees, including Anthony Davis and MKG this summer. The one-and-done rule has made players leaving early an inevitable reality, but Cal fosters an environment that encourages them to finish their degrees in addition to achieving their dreams.

I dare someone to go ask Bobby Knight what he thinks.

10 Comments for Cal and the “untold story” of UK’s graduation rate

1. Stan
    6:01 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

I graduated from UK.

2. jim
    6:01 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Go ahead and ask coach Knight! He is a legend in graduating players!

3. Unboltedharp
    6:19 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Knight wouldn’t believe you even if it was on paper, he hates Kentucky. I’ve heard him say on national tv “our players quit going to class during the second semester since they’re leaving for the NBA.” Outside of his little world the truth doesn’t matter, much like thamel or forde. Thankfully he will not be calling any more games on ESPN, every coach was a buffoon except pukes. But, there was something to watching a game on mute……

4. merlins
    6:29 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA atleast ole’ twany is graduating.

5. Math Major
    6:45 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Why wouldn’t a player be eligible to graduate by the end of their senior year? Kind of limiting the sample size a bit isn’t it? How many of the players who came in as freshmen under Cal have graduated? 1 of 5 (of his 1st year recruits – Congrats to Jon Hood by the way). Skews the data a little bit. Stats can prove anything. Heck, if I could make millions by not graduating, I’d do it too, but don’t try to act like we are academic world beaters. Come out and say 100% are excelling in their field of choice (except maybe Orton).

6. Cats FAn
    7:22 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

#5 I think that he means if a player leaves early, then they aren’t in school thus aren’t eligibile to graduate by their senior year. Those are guys who are millionaires, yet have chosen to come back to school during the summers and work towards their degree, even though they certainly don’t have to. Seems fair not to count them towards a graduation rate…after all, they are winning in life and making tons of money, which is the point of going to school after all.

7. MCaron
    8:17 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Hey Tyler, what do we know about which players will be back in the bluegrass this summer? I have a feeling the craft center will be insane.

8. LOL
    8:40 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Hood, the white walk-ons, Twany and Miller have graduated. Who am I missing. Crazy that uk players can graduate after one or two years of intro level classes. Maybe at UK you graduate every year, like when you were in pre-school. UK fans actually buy this crap.

9. Eric Bledsoe
    8:44 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Had I’d beens dare for 4 or 5 (ok, maibe 7) years, I’s wood have done gradiated two. Just looke at my’s algebre skors. Dose grades donte be liing.

10. theSkinny81
    9:36 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

30% of the comments on here are from Little Brother.