Cal and Pitino trade barbs on the one-and-done rule

(AP Photo/David J. Phillip)
CORRECTION NCAA Final Four Kentucky Louisville Basketball

It’s no secret that Rick Pitino and John Calipari have different opinions on the one-and-done rule. Pitino is notorious in his criticism of the rule, which he says limits the bond you can have with players and creates a “six-month breeding ground for the pros.” Calipari is equally critical of the rule, but is realistic about what it means for his players, whose future he puts above his own desires for them to return to school.

USA Today’s Eric Prisbell interviewed both coaches about the rule, and in true Cal vs. Rick fashion, unearthed some hidden barbs between the two. First, Rick’s comments:

When asked by phone if he would want to coach a team that featured at least three one-and-done players, Pitino said: “You know, I wouldn’t care if the pros say the young man is one and done and he goes. But I don’t go in the home and say, ‘You’re a one-and-done and my program is a one and done program.’ I don’t do that.

“I go in and recruit the young man and if he asks me how I would feel about it, I say, ‘If you’re good enough, that’s up to the pros, go ahead and do it.’ I don’t talk about it. I don’t look at it. One of the things I enjoy is building relationships with guys, and I don’t want to get to know them for seven months and they move on because I never get to know them.

Cal said that when he visits recruits, he doesn’t mention the one-and-done rule at all. In fact, he tells players they need to prepare for Kentucky as if they were going to be in school at least two years. In response to Pitino’s comments about not building relationships with his players that go pro, Cal said that’s merely the defense of someone who isn’t capable of landing elite talent:

“That’s not true (that you can’t have relationships). Obviously the relationships I have with my guys, you need to go talk to them. Why? I have been loyal to them. I have loved them when they were here and loved them when they left. It’s not about me, it’s about them. I don’t go in and talk about one-and-done. It never comes up in meetings. I don’t have to. It’s the white elephant in the room … If you can’t get those kids, that’s the kind of comment you make. That’s what you say.

First off, BURN! Cal’s right, though; think about the players that have come and gone over the past three years. While their time in Lexington is short, they continue to have a close bond with the program and their former coach. Players regularly visit for games and spend their summers in Lexington finishing their degrees. Cal constantly tweets his support for them and even flew to Charlotte during the season this year to watch MKG’s Bobcats play Eric Bledsoe’s Clippers.

Yet, they don’t have a relationship, right Rick?

[USA Today: Pitino, Calipari debate merits of one-and-done players]

36 Comments for Cal and Pitino trade barbs on the one-and-done rule

1. Mack
    3:03 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Thought ricky perferred the 15 second relationships it would seem even a year would be too long for him.

2. JKUK
    3:03 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Here it is. BURN

3. Eric K
    3:10 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

BURN!! Really BBN, Who the HELL cares about what Mr. 15 seconds says! IN CAL WE TRUST!! GO CATS!!

4. RobertCats
    3:11 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Good stuff, and not to be a stickler, but MKG plays for the Bobcats, not the Hornets. The Hornets moved to N.O. from Charlotte years ago. And there won’t be a Hornets team much longer…

5. Fine Italian dining
    3:13 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Pitino outta stick to the 2 things he knows….. The one(pump) and done and mediocre Italian food.

6. RUPPS_rhetoric
    3:14 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Would seem to me if Rick can create life in a matter of 15 seconds, surely he could form a relationship in 7 months. But that’s just me of course…

7. Arch Stanton
    3:15 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

He’s recruited a ton of the same guys as Cal…how full of shit can one guy be?…

8. RickSucks
    3:17 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

#1, LAMO!!!!!!!!!!!! Can’t stop laughing! GREAT ONE (and done)!

9. Azubuike's Bicep[
    3:19 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

1(envelope of cash) and (pregnancy) done.

10. Man Hands
    3:28 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

NBA Teams dont want Pitino’s players.

That’s Pitino’s problem.

11. scott
    3:28 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

5. Mrs. T –
    Please define “Blergh” lol!

12. UK FAN
    3:32 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Pitino does recruit 1 and done players just ask the UL fans. I remember when Siva was better than John Wall. He must have really went down since being at UL

13. BeauKnows
    3:32 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

I can’t believe we’re talking about this when Matt Jones is caught up in an earthquake…but with that said.

I haven’t heard of Pitino reaching out to former player Swopeshire when he was injured. I haven’t seen where he’s been to see Earl Clark, T-Will or even Francisco Garcia play in the NBA? (Does he have any others in the NBA?) His words have no meaning, his ego allows him to believe he can say what ever he wants without having to back it up with actions.

GO CATS!!

14. MADARCHITECT
    3:41 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

If you were stuck in the 90’s , it would have been Charlotte “Hornets”.

15. TN Cat
    3:42 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Who is this Pitino guy you speak of?

16. rj
    3:53 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

come on people, pitino is a great coach,as a matter of fact he’s alot like coach summit, except the only thing he has trouble remembering is that he has a wife.

17. Ashton Kutcher
    3:56 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

BURN!

18. Han
    3:58 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Come on guys, you’re slipping.

Rick Pitino doesn’t need more than 6 months to have a relationship. He only needs 15 seconds. He also prefers to cut dies with youngsters before the 6-month abortion window is closed.

Like freaking fish in a barrel and you missed both of them.

1) Yup. It’s the most obvious burn there.

8) Yup, he recruited Teague, among others. And both Duke and UNC have had notable one-and-dones while missing on others. Wiggins is clearly a one-and-done and UNC is recruiting him. Would Louisville turn him down if he called Rick and said he wanted to play there for one year?

13) Don’t forget that Dieng is the greatest shot blocker in history and was better than Davis who wouldn’t live up to the hype.

19. Han
    3:58 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

19) Correction. “cut ties with youngsters”

20. SuperTroy
    4:05 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Rick doesn’t like “one and done” relationships. He like two or three seasons at least, before he tells them to leave because be found someone better. The ultimate hypocrit. You can’t leave me for greener pastures, but I can push you out for a better player. He’s always done that. Ask Roderick Rhodes. Ask Stephen Van Treese. Ask Jared Swopshire. I wonder how those “relationships” have ended up. Hell, even Chris Smith spoke out about that when Ricky wanted Van Treese gone last offseason. What a clown. Also talked trash about teams leaving the Big East…right up until they left the Big East. I can’t stand that shell of a coach anymore. UK made him. Now, he’s as good as a ghost in this sport.

21. rj
    4:11 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

21. the only thing that is irrelevant is the size of your johnson.

22. rj
    4:14 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

sorry 21,they erased the trolls comment that was there originally.

23. kes
    4:15 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

ricky cant get a one and done. they are always hurt and have to lay around a couple seasons

24. niaps
    4:17 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Rich the liar, what else does anyone expect

25. UKBlue
    4:21 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

As the BBN we learned a long time ago when it comes to Rick: If Rick mouth is moving or if he’s thinking, odds are he is lying. UL fans have yet to figure this out about Rick or refuse to believe their reality. The older Rick has gotten, the odder & stranger Rick life has gotten & the more f’d up his lies have gotten about everything.

26. STEVE!
    4:30 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

8 – Good point, and is what I always ask the UK haters. “Are you telling me that no other schools ever recruited Wall, Davis, MKG, etc because they knew they were only going to be in college one year, and didn’t want them?” Every player we have signed was offered scholarships by other top programs who were willing to take that chance.

27. STEVE! JUNIOR!
    5:02 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

I am really begining to think this “STEVE!” guy has entered my brain, Inception-style. Because every time the dude comments on this site, its about 110% along my same lines of thinking. Its getting scary…like we were separated at birth. Once again, I agree with you STEVE!…and ARCH STANTON! My biggest grief with the national talking heads (in print and on the tube), when they talk about Calipari, is that they make it sound like other top echelon coaches hear or think that a specific recruit wants to be one-and-done, and they immediately walk away. “Oh, I wouldn’t want to coach him…he only wants to go to school for a year then go to the NBA.” Thats the biggest crock of BS and couldn’t be further from the truth. All these top echelon 5-Star recruits that Cal gets are getting courted by 50 different schools, and getting offers from anyone that things they are in play for the guy. I actually keep a handy list of all the coaches that recruited our guys, so that someone disbelieving can see that Coach K, Self, Donovan, Boeheim, Crean, Pitino, Calhoun, Sean Miller…they ALL go after the same Top Guys, even if everyone and their brother knows they are DEFINITE one-and-done (CoachK: Wall, Irving, Rivers, Parker Boeheim: NOEL&Davis)

28. MustangCat
    5:06 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

I want the personally autographed 1st cut copy of Rick Pitinos book on relationships! Yea, that’s what I want. I’m sure he’ll dedicate the first copy to his beloved wife.

29. STEVE! JUNIOR!
    5:09 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

TEAGUE Cincinnati Indiana Louisville Ohio St. Purdue —– MKG Connecticut Florida St. Indiana Memphis Rutgers Villanova —– ANTHONY DAVIS DePaul Ohio St. Syracuse —– TERRENCE JONES Arizona Kansas Oklahoma Oregon UCLA Washington

30. STEVE! JUNIOR!
    5:19 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

I just keep rereading these quotes from the two men, and I physically want to throw up (preferably right onto Pitino). Its just such a false, BS-riddled statement, that its actually laughable! If you CAN NOT develop a relationship with someone in 7 months, then he is in the wrong business or has serious personal issues. (i doubt he even believes it, but the fact that he can’t even come up with a better lie or misdirection…i almost feel sorry for him.) I had about 4 months to kill between 2 “real” opportunities about 8 years ago. It was a dead-end piece of crap job that I knew I wouldn’t be at very long, so I went into not even attempting to make friends. 8 years later, I still stay in touch with 4 or 5 different people from that job (grab a drink, exchange texts, provide leads on jobs or business). There are two people I knew at UK that got themselves failed out after one semester of very hard partying…and more than 15 years later, I am still in touch with them. Anyone with any level of social or “people” skills probably has many examples from their own life. Pitino is such a friggin joke. Its ridiculous.

31. John B
    5:25 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

I have ticket books for the SEC Tournament. Will sell for face value ($300ea.) They are good for all games. Section 328 Row E Seats 3,4,5,& 6. If interested please call John @ 270-64-0958.

32. Big Blue Coming At You
    5:36 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

What Cal said is what i’ve been saying for years now. Pitino says that because he can’t land elite talent. He can get 1 or maybe 2 very good players in a class but most of his recruits are 4 year players that will never go to the NBA.

33. Louisville
    8:24 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

Lmao! No tourney for putty tats!

34. Got CAL?
    9:38 pm March 11, 2013 Permalink

How many past UL RickyP players are in the NBA now? T-won’t only had a 10 day contract. In RickyP’s 12 YEARS at UL he has shown that he will not develop NBA talent there, so why is any media talking to him about the NBA?

35. englishgrantsdatabase
    6:16 am March 12, 2013 Permalink

Keep up the superb piece of work, I read few posts on this site and I think that your website is rattling interesting and contains bands of superb info . english grants database http://dzgns.com/blog/2011/08/join-the-stitching-sisters-at-an-upcoming-hooping-clinic/