Just how bad is Mississippi State?

At least Rick Ray has a beautiful family.

On Saturday, Mississippi State lost to Vanderbilt by a whopping 41 points. At home. Rick Ray’s first season as the Bulldog’s head coach has been challenging, to say the least. After Rick Stansbury mysteriously retired at the age of 52, Ray was picked to keep the ball rolling in Starkville, but has faced more than his fair share of adversity. Let’s break down just how bad Mississippi State is by the numbers:

6: Number of scholarship players that will suit up against Kentucky tomorrow night

2: Number of walk-ons Rick Ray has been forced to rely on

1 player who transferred to Duke: Rodney Hood

1 recruit who asked for a release before the season started: Josh Gray

9.5: Gray’s average number of points per game at Texas Tech

11: Number of games missed by veteran Jalen Steele, eight for injury and three for suspension

2: Number of games forward Roquez Johnson has missed due to an indefinite suspension

2 players permanently dismissed: guard Shaun Smith and forward Kristers Zeidaks

2 players lost to season-ending injuries: Andre Applewhite and Jacoby Davis

1 player out indefinitely due to injury: Wendell Lewis (fractured right patella)

12 losses in a row in the SEC, a school record

2 wins in the SEC (South Carolina and Georgia)

0-16: Mississippi State’s record when trailing at half

0-14: Mississippi State’s record when their opponents shoot 45% or better

280: Renardo Sidney’s weight as listed on the Mississippi State website. Yes, I know Sidney left Mississippi State last season to go pro (only to go undrafted), but that still baffles me.

59.3 points per game, which is good enough for 327th in the nation

32.9 rebounds per game, which is good enough for 251st in the nation

39.9%: average field goal percentage, which is good enough for 313th in the nation

9.8: average number of points scored by Craig Sword, the team’s leading scorer

3: rebounds grabbed by Colin Borchert against Vanderbilt, which was good enough to lead the team

7: made field goals against Vanderbilt, the fewest by Mississippi State in the modern era

17: rebounds against Vanderbilt, the fewest by Mississippi State since 1982

241: Mississippi State’s current RPI ranking

0: Number of F’s given by Rick Stansbury, who apparently spends his time deer hunting near his hometown of Battletown, Kentucky

0: Margin for error for Kentucky tomorrow night. Bad or not, Mississippi State could derail the Cats’ tournament hopes if they catch them off guard. Or if the entire Kentucky team catches the flu or something. (Knock on wood.)

22 Comments for Just how bad is Mississippi State?

1. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    9:36 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I hope that Deadspin shows IU’s crean coaching his player to fake being hit by a elbow tonight.

2. dont geek
    9:44 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Who should we be pulling for. ut, or uf?

3. dont geek
    9:46 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Or does it even matter?

4. mudcreekmark
    9:50 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

1)That is the subject that I was going to point out. Last week it was Zeller taking the guy by the arm and hitting himself in the nuts to try to get a call and now tonight in the timeout you could see Crean making a gesture like when you trap the player and he swings his elbows. Then as soon as the timeout is over sure enough they trap the guy and in order to make it look like the player hit him above the shoulders, Sheehey almost had to lay down to get his head low enough to make contact with the guys elbow. That is about the biggest chicken shit move I have ever seen. I was hoping someone else noticed this.

5. TheDecker
    9:50 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Don’t worry…one of their players will have the game of their life and score 40

6. kyone
    9:55 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

That actually is Battletown not Battlefield.

7. crazycatfan
    9:55 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Talk about bad sportsmanship! Glad the refs didn’t fall for it! Great win for Tubby!!!

Can we quit talking about how bad Miss State is until after we get the WIN???

8. Really?
    9:56 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

You’re my favorite Tyler but please don’t jinx us by writing something like this!

9. dejavu
    10:10 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

I remeber when they posted about how bad vandy was when we played them at vandy. We should have lost that one.

10. Bill Self's Wig
    10:10 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Totally classless move by Crean/IU….great teams do not have to resort to those kind of tactics to win…reminds me of the 1985 championship game in Rupp when in the final seconds of the game, the Georgetown players were pulling the Villanova players down on top them to make it look like they were being fouled…no class at all.

11. Jason
    10:12 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

MSU is so bad that I only JUST NOW realized they had a black coach because only because of this post.

12. UKJay
    10:16 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Our RPI will drop 10 spots after we play MSU. That is how bad they are.

13. Tubby Smith
    10:17 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Who else wants some?

14. well would ya look at that
    10:19 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone else find it hard to believe that iu lost when they have the next michael jordan?

15. Axe Cop
    10:22 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

For the love of god will someone buy Tom Crean a pair of suspenders. That clown is too busy pulling up his pants every three seconds to actually coach a team.

16. 2, I’m not a fan of either, but our horrendous loss to UT doesn’t look quite as bad now as it did.

17. NKY_UK_fan
    10:36 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

Does Minnesota’s win over IU hurt UK’s chances of getting in since Minny is 19-9 now and 7-8 in the conference? I haven’t looked at Bracketology, so I don’t know if Minny was in or not.

18. John Calipari's Bra
    11:28 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

#10 What the hell do you know about class?

19. SEC Watch
    11:28 pm February 26, 2013 Permalink

from ESPN – Gators fall to 1-7 in last eight road games vs. Volunteers. Did not know UT totally owned UF in Knoxville . Guess we’ll see if this years Gators are worthy of a high NCAA seed after they visit Rupp.

20. Tubby Smith
    12:19 am February 27, 2013 Permalink

I just ensured one more year of being overpaid for my lackadaisical attitude and non-recruiting, underperforming and cash checking abilities.

Yes! Go Me!

All da way to da bizzzank!!!

And hell, my work is done. My schedule was perfectly orchestrated to give me 20 wins and, oops, ten losses.

They can’t fire me if I win 20 games.

It’s pay day, BABY!!!

21. CaliUKfan
    12:57 pm February 27, 2013 Permalink

Rick Ray is good people. I know him through a mutual friend at Purdue, hung out with him when he was an assistant to Painter, conversed with him on numerous times, and benefitted from his generosity of free tickets to the Big 10 tournament. Hopefully he’ll get things turned around there.

Go CATS!

22. Huh
    7:13 pm February 27, 2013 Permalink

#18 I know plenty about class…that is something the IU and UofL players never attend….