Buzz Bissinger’s Thursday News & Views

2012-08-16-17-04-53 2012-09-04-15-51-38 2012-09-17-16-02-48

The guy in the pictures above wrote Friday Night Lights. Seriously. That’s Buzz Bissinger, the 59-year-old Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Friday Night Lights and other works, and earlier this week, he confessed to a rather odd addiction: shopping.

Now, I’m all for a little retail therapy. Just today I received a lovely package from J.Crew containing the product of my grief over UK not making the Tournament. However, our friend Buzz’s problems are on another level. In an essay for GQ, Buzz admits that over the past several years, he’s spent almost $600,000 on clothes as a way to cope with a mid-life crisis. In his own words: “I own eighty-one leather jackets, seventy-five pairs of boots, forty-one pairs of leather pants, thirty-two pairs of haute couture jeans, ten evening jackets, and 115 pairs of leather gloves.”

If you’re reading this, Mr. TT, I don’t want any more grief about my J.Crew sales addiction.

Whereas most people would just force themselves to cut up their credit cards, Buzz checked himself into an in-patient program to deal with his shopping addition. Clear eyes, no credit cards, can’t lose.

Now, on to the news from the day…

Hawkins waits

The biggest news of the day concerning basketball had to be word that Dominique Hawkins will find out whether or not he’s going to get a scholarship offer from UK on Friday. The news comes after Cal visited the Madison Central point guard on Tuesday. Hawkins is the favorite for Kentucky’s Mr. Basketball honor, which will be announced by our own Matt Jones and Winston Bennett on Friday night. He has said in the past that he’ll only go to a school that gives him a scholarship, which means that the lifelong Kentucky fan is likely waiting for Cal’s call before considering other offers.

If Hawkins has been told he’ll find out by Friday, that probably means Cal is meeting with his players this week to discuss their futures. There are countless scenarios for what could happen with the roster this week. In the interest of not speculating, let’s just say that a variety of personnel decisions could be made which would lead to Cal knowing by Friday if they’ll have a spot to offer Hawkins. And no, unfortunately that doesn’t include Andrew Wiggins announcing his intentions yet. He’s still on track for an April decision.

Willie trolls

Has any other player trolled the UK fan base as much as Willie Cauley-Stein? All season, Willie has tweeted the fan base about negative messages he’s been sent, the team’s disappointing finish to the season, and now, whether or not he’ll go pro. After the loss to Robert Morris, Willie told reporters that while he wants to return to be part of a Championship run, his family’s financial situation may decide whether or not he goes pro. Willie was recently ranked 18th in Chad Ford’s Big Board of NBA draft prospects, but Ford told the Herald-Leader on Wednesday that he thinks Willie will stay at Kentucky. (Ford was unsure about Alex Poythress and Archie Goodwin’s intentions.) When Julius Randle committed last week, Willie tweeted a countdown to Big Blue Madness, and from his tweets on Wednesday, it’s clear he’s getting a lot of messages from fans wanting him to come back for another year. Willie jokingly told his followers to “chill with the whole one more year thing” and that he gets it and said that UK fans’ obsession with who’s staying or leaving was “crazy”:

Yes, Willie. It is driving us crazy. Just tell us you’re staying and get it over with.

Wiggins6

Wiggins Watch

Andrew Wiggins won another award on Wednesday–The Gatorade National Player of the Year Award. Former NBA great and fellow Gatorade POY Alonzo Mourning surprised Wiggins at Huntington Prep with the award Wednesday morning, which explains the mysterious 11 a.m. press conference that got everyone so excited. Wiggins said that he was actually in the middle of a yawn when Mourning walked in and was so startled that he almost leapt from his chair.

Wiggins’ senior mixtape also hit the web this week, and if you haven’t seen it yet, GO WATCH IT NOW. (Warning: it may be hard to sleep afterwards.) Despite the serious grown a** man moves Wiggins shows off, he wants people to remember that he’s still a teenager: “I’ve been shown a lot of attention and people expect a lot from me, but those expectations come from adults who are 20 years older than me. I’m still a young guy. I’m still learning.”

He can do all of that and he’s “still learning”? Oh good lord.

Photo by Chet White, UK Athletics

Photo by Chet White, UK Athletics

Spring (football) awakening

Mark Stoops invited the media in to watch Wednesday’s spring football practice, and even let Matt and Ryan do the radio show on the sidelines. Nick Roush had a full recap on the site earlier, but the big news was that DL Donte Rumph suffered a shoulder injury on Monday and will be out indefinitely. Stoops said the injury was significant and may require surgery, which is tough news considering Rumph’s size, talent, and consistency so far in practice. Regardless, it was the media’s first glimpse into the Mark Stoops era, and from all reports, the differences between it and the previous staff’s practices is eye-opening. The most noticeable difference is the tempo, which the staff has sped up to the point that players don’t quit moving between drills. Also noticeable is Za’Darius Smith, the manchild of a JuCo who stood head and shoulders above his teammates at practice, causing media to creepily snap pictures of him left and right. Smith and Bud Dupree are flourishing in Stoops and DJ Eliot’s schemes, and although Rumph’s injury is a blow (timetable to return TBD), the defensive line is still in good shape.

It was Maxwell Smith’s day to take most of the snaps in the rotation, and Smith looked like the front runner in the QB battle over Jalen Whitlow and Patrick Towles. There’s still a lot of time left for the others to make up ground, but according to those who were there, Smith seemed to be one step ahead. Unfortunately, he doesn’t have many targets to throw to right now. As we’ve said all week, the Cats’ main problem right now is a depleted WR corps. Until the freshmen come in, expect to see lots of tight ends and running backs running routes.

Mark Stoops and DJ Eliot stopped by after practice to talk to Matt and Ryan about the changes to the program and how things are looking so far this spring. Click here to listen to Wednesday’s show from Nutter Field House.

Could this be the new Commonwealth? cws-proposal1

On Wednesday morning, we posted one of the proposals to renovate Commonwealth Stadium. It’s unclear whether or not the proposal is one of many, but it’s currently the only one posted on UK’s website.

That’s all for now. See you soon.

48 Comments for Buzz Bissinger’s Thursday News & Views

1. rka
    11:03 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Clay Travis Sucks!

2. Rajon4rondo
    11:07 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

I really hope this comments section doesn’t turn into a close-minded bashing of Buzz and his preference in clothes. The man is comfortable in his own skin, and for that, he should be applauded, not ridiculed.

3. I will say though
    11:09 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

That is 41 pairs too many of leather pants!

4. ass-less chaps
    11:11 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

He doesn’t speak of me? I wonder how many he owns.

5. BUzz
    11:15 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Is it just me or are Willie’s comments condescending and annoying?? I don’t thikn this season has taught any of the guys a lesson at all. You would think they would be humbled, but they’re still loud and obnoxious. I hope they all leave so we don’t have any cancers on the team… They just have bad attitudes and thats not going to change next year. They even have been tweeting stuff like “its over next year” blah blah like really??? how about something like “we are going to work hard, nothing is guaranteed”. I hated this team this season and I am hating them just as much in the off season.

6. Your '14 Starting Lineup
    11:32 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Andrew Harrison
    Aaron Harrison
    Andrew Wiggins
    Julius Randle
    Willie Cauley

7. lesigh
    11:46 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

#5 – It’s not just you.

8. ACTUALLY WILLIE
    11:46 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Actually what drives me crazy is how you cant hit a free throw. Or how you constantly talk about the fans when you should be working on your game or studying.
    Get real kid. you gotta long way to go.

9. LeathersHaveFeelings2
    11:48 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Mrs.TT, I always enjoy your posts, but I must correct you on this one. From Wikipedia:

>>Personal life

Bissinger is married to (edited), former Assistant Vice Chancellor of NYU Abu Dhabi, and has three sons. He divides his time between homes in Philadelphia and the Pacific Northwest.

In a column published on GQ, Bassinger states he is a shopaholic with an obsession for expensive designer clothes, spending $638,412.97 between 2010 and 2012. In the same column, Bissinger stated he had questioned his sexuality in the past and had experimented with men.<<

The takeaway? Mrs. TT you understated the bill by at least $38,412.97! As always faycts are optional. Now down to business.

Cal – you've proven you "get it" with UK basketball. Reaffirm your conviction and offer Hawkins. There will be no regrets.

10. HawkD
    11:50 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Willie Cauley-Stein is getting a little too big for his britches. He needs to stay off Twitter and worry about getting to the point where he can shoot better right-handed than I can left-handed.

11. Eric K
    11:50 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

#6 looks good don’t it….. can’t wait! GO CATS!!

12. maddogmitchell55
    11:52 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Personally, I don’t care who stays and who goes. Next season, after each game is played I will still lay down and sleep good at night whether UK won or lost. Would I prefer UK to win every game? Does a bear crap in the woods?

Do I think WCS would benefit from another year in school? Well, if he thinks he would like a National Championship ring and another million in the bank, then yeah, I do. Plus, if he came back one more year after that then I would like his chances of putting his name in the records book as a #1 pick. But, if he wants to go now then let him go. Good luck to him with whatever he decides. I’m still gonna sleep good at night either way…

13. dumb
    11:55 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Usually id be the guy saying leave the kid alone bla bla you no the routine. But not this time Willie is kinda asking for it.

14. caveman2
    11:56 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

The 1.10-1.11 mark in the wiggin’s video. Holy cow…

15. Oldblue
    12:07 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Willie Willie SMH

16. C-A-T-S
    12:28 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

I think everyone hung up on Hawkins is a little much. The kid is good, but he is not going to start at UK possibly ever. However, I would be excited to see another Darius Miller in the works. As for wiggins…….now that would be a game changer. We go from 95% that this team is going to be ridiculous and may not get beat to 100% they are going to exceed any expectation and 90% undefeated season. Big Blue wants you To play here Wiggins. Hopefully we all get to witness this kid for one year!!!!! (We should be extremely happy with what we have, but damn wiggins is unbelievable, and with Cal the odds of this happening are really good)

17. ccctt12
    12:35 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Willie is getting on my nerves, and I honestly don’t care if he comes back next year or not. He is continually bashing the fans on twitter with smart remarks about how crappy we are … ” Learn to hit your free throws big man ” . He used to a good guy, but after seeing his personality hes a jerk.

18. JBR
    12:53 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

You guys have posted on here a few times about the beast that Z is in person, and all the photos being taken of him…would it kill you to post one?

19. What?
    12:57 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Willis’s a jerk because he likes to poke fun at his haters? He’s wrong to mock the absurdity of grown ass men harassing him on the internet? And these particular remarks don’t seem that bad to me. He’s not mocking the fans, if anything it’s a compliment. John cal calls us crazy to our faces every year but we don’t freak out. You all are only reading it as negative and serious because that is simply how you are reading into it. Try opening your mind just a little bit and try to read things from a different perspective instead of trying to grasp at your straws of fictional negativity.

20. Just sayin
    1:09 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Huntington prep is not a school it’s a basketball team. He attends some catholic school and plays for prep. Just like Findlay prep. The private school they take classes at is barely accredited.

21. Culver
    1:13 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

First thing Cal needs to do is ban all twitter accounts, that goes for all the players, and all of the coaching staff(including Cal)…and add the managers/trainers etc…to that ban as well. No more damn distractions!

22. Stein Can Leave
    1:35 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Willie is making it easier to dislike this team even more. He will be lucky to get drafted in the first round after he goes through individual workouts. How can anyone shoot free throws that badly? JERK!

23. All the whinig Bitches
    2:41 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Wahhhhh!!!Wouaaa wouaaa wu wu wouaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Willie made, sniff, sniff, fun of me!!!! Wahhhhh!!! (You bunch of FN crybaby bitches need to grow the F up!!!!) A 18 year old kid is brighter than any of you idiots…and you know who you are.

24. Kevin C.
    5:02 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Hey Willie…less tweeting, and more FT practice. Of course, if you already know you’re leaving, STFU and GTFO of Kentucky…BBN doesn’t want obnoxious punks damaging UK’s image.

25. Unboltedharp
    6:40 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

The Willie bashing is uncalled for. Sure he needs to work on free throw shooting, but all of them need help there. He’s young having fun, quit be so negative people.

The proposed stadium looks interesting. Reminds me a little of Soldiers Field before it was renovated.

26. Buzz
    6:44 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Buzz lost his man card. What the crap? WCS use to be my favorite player, but his tweets have turned me away. Get over yourself big Will.

27. Dear Willie,
    7:03 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

If you aspire to be an NBA player and public figure, you will have to grow a thicker skin. If you make it out of the D League, it only gets tougher with fans and media.

28. nuke99m
    7:17 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

I thought the first set of pictures were of Tom Izzo. I was like WTF is that? Now I’m like WTF was that?

29. tickle
    7:30 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

buzz said he actually sexually experimented with men? jeepers, color me surprised

30. fireants25
    7:35 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

that wigg vid is indeed grown *** man material…wow hope we gwt him..everything looks so easy for him and he jumps out the gym..world class abilities right there.

31. fireants25
    7:36 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

hope #6 is right …wew long season for everyone else next..Margin of Victory=20ppg

32. bigbluelou
    7:37 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

I could have gone all day without seeing those pics. Think I just threw up in my mouth.

33. UKBlue1!
    7:43 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know who is returning? I am not worried? The program is in Calipari’s hands not Tubby Smith, So No.

34. Bob
    7:44 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Those pictures are 7 kinds of creepy and don’t belong on this board.

35. Austin
    7:45 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Archie and Alex seemed to get it after the year. Both said anybody that wanted to leave was delusional, and that neither were ready. If Willie thinks he is ready, I hope he enjoys the NBDL. He will get a nice pay check for a few years. Maybe he can establish himself after that. He has all the God-given ability he needs, just needs some seasoning. If he goes for the pay check, I won’t blame him or anything, but he is not ready. I really don’t think he will be ready after next year either. He could probably play from a physical stand point right now, but his understanding of the game needs some development.

I don’t think Willie is the missing piece to a championship. I am not totally sure he would start over Johnson even. I suspect he would, but I don’t think that is a given. We are going to be in good shape next year regardless. I hope a couple of these kids come back just to build a real team, but if they don’t then good luck to them.

36. Seriously ?
    7:47 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

You’re not going to tell me that a guy who dresses like that doesn’t still like men. Just saying.

37. gork
    8:06 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

i wonder if he was a freakin weirdo before he became rich

38. bsquared
    8:42 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Da fuq

39. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    8:45 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Willie needs to get off of social media. Nothing good ever comes from it (See Mark Hamilton).

40. Azubuike's Bicep
    8:47 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

36- Eddie Izzard, a famous British comedian is the same way. Straight as an arrow, he just likes to cross-dress.

41. Bluegrass
    8:49 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

I realize that WCS probably catches a lot of heat from fans – but seriously, in the history of UK, has any other player ever been this vocal about their dislike of the fanbase and their thoughts?

I’m sorry but this is what Cal talks about that UK is not for everyone. I think Willie may be one of those people. He has to learn to cope with the critisism when things go bad because otherwise he wont be worthy of the praise when things are good.

Can’t have it both ways son.

42. Cayts
    8:52 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Need a post about the elite 8 voting for Tolly-Ho. #finalfour?

43. Biggie fan
    9:08 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Willie, Willie, Willie, can’t you see? Sometimes your words are condescending. We all love your flashy ways, but right now you broke and you got a long way to go to get paid!

44. BPM
    9:35 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Can you imagine being in a treatment facility full of meth tweakers and coke addicts and have some dude come in saying he was addicted to shopping? He had to have been laughed out of the facility right?

45. SMH
    9:43 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

U no wat B drivin me crazy? A GROWN-ASSED man butchering the English language!

46. robuk
    10:00 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

I just threw up in my mouth. Thanks Mrs. T.

47. Prince
    10:03 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

I too measure my sucess by the number of leather pants i own!

48. JBond
    4:57 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

If we need receivers, why doesn’t Willie Cauley-Stein play football too?