Buzz Baker’s Take On A Night In Nashville

peyton-bakerManning Baker enjoying the circus–not the one last night but Ringling
Brothers last week

***As a part of our phenomenal football coverage here at KSR, we’re happy to have Dave “Buzz” Baker give his take on last night’s football game.  Buzz stepped away from watching himself on YouTube with Rex Chapman and penned this piece especially for you.  Enjoy.

Last night was going to be a treat for me. With no “working” assignment, I was going to be able to watch the UK opener w/ my soon to be 7-year old Manning (with a name like that you know he likes football) but thanks to the first of SEVERAL complete system breakdowns–(namely the starting time of this game on a school night) he was asleep before the first “three and out” of this titanic struggle. It was good thing–after watching it restless sleep was virtually impossible.

Here now are some random, bleary eyed observations:

1) I’ve defended the UK Athletics Administration A LOT & taken my share of criticism for doing so, but to play this game on the Thursday night before the holiday weekend was beyond a bad decision. Some fans have often mused about playing a basketball game in Commonwealth Stadium. Last night you could have played a football game in Rupp Arena! It was unfair to the fans (who travel & who watch & listen @ home) and to the players who need and deserve that fan support. I don’t care if it was WKU’s home game. If it were basketball and it was going to be played under such a bad set of circumstances, they would have bought the contract out. BTW–stop blaming TV–use you marquee basketball product to ENSURE better football game placement (“you want us to play hoops at 9 five times–help us out w/ a better time for our football game”). I bet Tom Jurich isn’t afraid to play that hand. BTW, if it’s about “the student athletes” what time this morning did they get in bed and how productive do you think they should’ve been in class?

2) Early on, some fans and media types were quick to criticize DeMarcus Cousins because at times he could be a little “overly exuberant” but I said on the air a number of times that I’d rather have a player do that, thanb act like they didn’t care. Was it just me or was an SEC team getting its tail kicked all over Nashville a little lacking in the emotion department. I’d be interested in hearing more from folks in the stands and on the field but the way that thing was going last night, Rich Brooks and Mike Archer would’ve been cussing at each other by the second series of the game.

3) Is it just me or does the sight of a Western tight end running WIDE OPEN straight down the field cause you to cringe at the thought of that trip to Columbia South Carolina–regardless of who Spurrier is playing at quarterback?

4) Certain UK wideouts should talk less and ALL should catch more.

5)  Based on the last time we saw this team play against somebody other than themselves, should we have REALLY expected anything different?

6) Morgan Newton is a great young man–but he made Mike Hartline who’s name should have been changed to “The serviceable Mike Hartline” look like Peyton Manning. You can defend some of his poor decisions if he was a freshman, but he’s got far too much time in this program to not be getting plays off making bad throws and at this point we still don’t know how the coaches graded him on things like checking out of a bad play into a good one.

The other thing I’m not sure of is why Ryan Mossakowski didn’t get a sniff (as I said before we’re not allowed to watch practice). What I do know is this–last night Northwest Community College in Mississippi opened up against Pearl River. Mind you now, Mississippi is known for the quality of its junior college football. Northwest’s new quarterback had a pretty fair night.

20-37 passing 1 interception–but wait–443 yards and 5 touchdowns with a long of 74! He also rushed 6 times for 2 TD’s as Northwest beat Pearl River 56-55 in overtime. Mossakowski HIMSELF accounting for 7 scores! I respect the coaches decison but asking about the decision making process is more than fair.

I’ve seen other coaches (Rich Brooks most recently) get teams off the mat and turn things around. But for this staff and this squad as Jerry Reid said in a song from the movie “Smokey & The Bandit” “We’ve got a long way to go and short time to get there”.

Botttom line the only two people happy with that games outcome–Charlie Strong and Bill Byrne, the Athletics Director at Texas A&M

Article written by Thomas Beisner

47 Comments for Buzz Baker’s Take On A Night In Nashville

1. Avon Barksdale
    11:31 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Coshik Williams should get some snaps at tailback. The guy has NFL speed and is a big time playmaker. He scored 3 TDs in one game last season. It was against a weak opponent, but you could see his speed and playmaking ability every time he touched the football. Why won’t Joker play the guy???

2. Tobias Funke
    11:31 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Eastbound and Down lyrics, FTW.

3. Rest in peace Mel Turpin
    11:39 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Oh my goodness. Newton looked just as bad as he did at the fan appreciation event. I thought it was an anomaly, but apparently not. Now, in his defense, he hit King right in the hands on that 2nd quarter play that should have been a long TD. I see the win over Vols fading into dreamland…

4. Pokey Chapman
    11:40 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Did Buzz really right that or was the “Not Buzz Baker”. Excellent points. Lets add:
    Joker said Newton was different this year, he was right, he’s worse. Terrible footwork.
    Guy and Trvathen have a chance to be this years defensive version of R. Cobb.
    Our punter will be the hardest working man in Div 1.

5. SexnNursinHomes
    11:50 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Even with a bum shoulder, Moss couldn’t have done any worse.

6. RKA
    11:52 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

I hate to be gloom and doom and if you critize too much you are called “not a true fan”. But that was the second worst football game I have ever seen (second only to the compass bowl that I drove 5 hours to see). Nobody is pulling for the Cats more than I am but good lord son, it really looked like a decent high school team playing with a fantastic punter. I really hope that it was just “not their night” so to speak because if not, this is going to be a very very very looooooooong season.

Go CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!#hope

7. blue suede shoes
    11:54 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

show some flipping respect…you have already written of fthis team and the players on this team. was last night crappy? yeah. shitting all over the players isn’t gonna make it any better. show some class b.

8. songremainsthesame
    11:58 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

Did anyone really expect UK to compete in SEC
    Until UK steps up and hires a Les Miles, Nick Saban
    type of coach that can bring top 5 level recruits
    to football, it’s just going to be average level football
    beat the D2 schools, squeak by a few SEC’s if we get lucky.

9. Go Cats!
    11:59 am September 2, 2011 Permalink

What’s the big deal? We were 17 point favorites and won by 11. We won people.

10. macsauce13
    12:01 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

I am scared of this season. That was a piss poor performance last night.

11. BillyCat
    12:02 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

I don’t see how in the hell anyone could summarize it any better than that. Way to go Dave and thanks for not holding back for fear of retaliation by those who might take offense. The only thing I would add is-

run, run, pass, punt
    run, run, pass, punt
    run, run, pass, punt
    run, run, pass, punt
    run, run, pass, punt
    run, run, pass, punt…………

12. tdogg4033011
    12:02 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

It was a little worse than I expected but still a win. The offense will get much
    better. Newton does need to learn a few things but I thought he threw the ball
    pretty well. I think some of these fans will be shocked how much better this team
    will get over the next 2-3 weeks. Keep faith !!!!

13. Mike Gundy
    12:04 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

14. macsauce13
    12:06 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

9. The big deal is that we looked awful against maybe the second worst team we will see all year. It didn’t look like rust or needing to get things together, it looked like we were playing against WKU with inferior talent/coaching.

15. vernon dozier
    12:07 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

Sad, sad, sad, but I agree wholeheartedly with Buzz…I was at the Charleston Southern game last season and Newton came in the game late. He was lost on the field…indecisive & cautious…and remember the bowl game? There were some dropped passes last nite, but c’mon…Newton tackled himself for God sake! Joker pretty much ran Ryan Mossakowski out of Lexington, why?…Next week will see if all this is simply a bump in the road, or a disaster…either they get it together, or Joker will be on the way out.

16. tubby says
    12:08 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

Kentucky needs to hire either Mike Leach or Dan Mullin. Joker is like footballs version of tubby smith, he has no calling-card, cant communicate well, and took a program that was finally respectable and had made strides under Brooks and has gone backwards.

Oh by the way, Dan Mullins has M-state ranked in the top 20 and they look like a real SEC football team. Now why is that? What does M-State have over Kentucky? The answer is better AD and Coach!

17. tdogg4033011
    12:09 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

The Mossakowski comment is a little over the edge, Newton didnt throw the ball that bad.
    You coulda had Tom Brady or Peyton Manning as QB last night & it wouldn’t have made much
    of a difference. Not saying Newton played a great game, but he would have looked alot
    better if his WR’s would catch the ball.

18. Cal's Pal
    12:11 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

I read this aloud and tried to do it in Buzz’ voice.

19. MtnCat
    12:25 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

Take a step back Dave and get some perspective.

20. Neil
    12:26 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

Totally agree about Mossakowski…how did he not get a shot? Good job Joker. I hate to be doom and gloom, but that was the single most worst game I have EVER seen from UK. EVER! I am pissed. I don’t think Joker and company have a feakin clue. I think they are in over their heads and can not coach SEC caliber football. There was not one good thing about last night.

21. Manchester
    12:26 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

***”shitting all over the players isn’t gonna make it any better. show some class b.”***
    #7 We don’t have to, the players shat themselves last night. Then wallowed around in it. 2-10, maybe 3-9.

22. catfan68
    12:27 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

I also wonder why Moss never had a chance…Could he have been any worse than Newton?

23. Neil
    12:31 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

Joker should officially be put on the HOT seat….that seat should be burning!

24. Keith
    12:54 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

Max Smith will be starting before the SEC grind begins!

25. hangin#8
    12:56 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

Don’t know what happened in practice… but Moss was a 4 star Pro style qb 14th overall (rivals) and newton a 3 star dual threat qb 14th overall, since when do we even use a dual threat qb in our offense?… Moss threw for over 6000 yards in 3 years in the state of Texas, could he have been worse than Newton in practice? I guess so. People are right though, receivers gotta catch the ball.

26. Creekmaster
    1:03 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

I am NOT a “football” coach…I do coach little league football..but are you kidding me? I seen UK receivers line up in the slot last night differnt times..they would go uncovered..and there would be no throw to them..I know as a QB you go through your passing progressions(and it would help if your line actually gave you time)but good greif Charlie Brown if you have a receiver uncovered off the line…get him the ball! I dont know if they have a QB in Newton that is capable of reading a defense…YOUTH FOOTBALL-take what the defense gives you.. when it adjusts…you adjust. I wish the CATS all the best…really want to beleive in Joker…but I THINK I’m starting to have Rich Brooks “withdrawl symptoms”….

27. theSkinny81
    1:06 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

wait… he named his son Manning?!? seriously?!? I wouldn’t be surprised if his middle name is Bogans or Azubuike, or who ever was the best player at the time of his birth. I cant stand it when he announces on BBSN either – picks a favorite and absolutely SWEATS them throughout the game…. Ol’ Buzz is the definition of homer… annoying.

28. Your Dad
    1:13 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

Why would Texas A&M be happy with that result?

Are you insinuating that Kentucky could be replaced by Texas A&M in the SEC Dave?

29. Creekmaster
    1:14 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

BTW…BIG SHOUT OUT TO THE DEFENSE!!! Trevathan-Guy-Sneed and the boys….Danny Trevathan is straight up sick! WAY TO GO GUYS!!!

30. cooler74
    1:56 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

Horrible site to behold. This team hasn’t got a chance when SEC play starts. The’ll be very lucky to win one game. Hot seat comment. Yeah, Joker should be right in the middle of it. Along with the offense, he hasn’t got a clue. Pitiful! Big Blue Madness right around the corner!

31. Gary Rawlings
    2:02 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

I have a question – is Max Smith a playa? Since he’s #2, he must have skilz, but I’m not familiar with him?

32. Gary Rawlings
    2:03 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

I have a question – is Max Smith a player? Since he’s #2, he must have skills, but I’m not familiar with him?

33. Gary Rawlings
    2:05 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

is max smith a valid option to move into newton’s spot? I’ve heard good things from Joker about him, but we all know how valid Joker’s opinion is…

34. SweetTeaMob til I DIE
    2:16 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

#21 You must be joking. 2-10? Get outta here!

As far as Mossakowski.. I agree the kid COULD’VE been good for us, had he gotten the chance. But you can’t really talk him up that much for having those stats against.. Pearl River? (who?) Level of competition is a little worse there, podge. He might as well have played against an above average high school team. Newton will be fine. You guys need some patience.. It’s one game. And as soon as he starts doing good is when all you guys come back and say, “Oh, well I believed in the kid all along.” Some of you fans sicken me.

35. shayne
    2:22 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

joker should have never been our coach in the first place. fans didnt want him to be.

36. 4th and 2
    2:30 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

“Should we have REALLY expected anything different?” Answer: Yes. From the cover of the Official 2011 Kentucky Football Yearbook: “ON THE RISE”, also “KENTUCKY FOOTBALL has sights set on SEC glory”. And last season “OPERATION WIN”. Joker promotes these slogans. Why????

Glad I didn`t buy into the hype.

Punt!

37. 3 fan
    2:35 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

I guess I am out of the loop.

Who are the WR’s that need to shut up and play better?

38. Loublue2
    2:52 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

I am so done with this crap….evEry year we sit here and HOPE it’ll get better, PRAY IT’LL GET BETTER, and most of the times it doesn’t, it just gets more painful
    . Joker is a joke, Moss would have out-thrown Newton a hundred times over. This is ridiculous, for God’s sake hire a damn HEAD COACH.

39. Neil
    3:01 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

“Newton will be fine”…..really???? How do you figure? I have seen no evidence that he will be fine. In fact all the evidence points that he will be the worst QB in the history of the program with his last two performances.

In his defense tho, the WRs sucked also. Roark looked like he had never stepped on the field before. Damn this is depressing. I love college football and it really sucks to see how bad we are.

40. Real Cats Fan
    3:29 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

I heard someone say that Morgan Newton’s parents were very good friends with Joker. Is there any truth to this, or is it simply a rumor?

41. Goose
    3:34 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

Well said DB, now watch out for the lightening bolt…..

42. KYBLUE
    4:51 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

When Newton threw the ball 4 feet over the running backs head in the flat i knew then it was going to be a long season…

43. BlueVoodoo
    5:04 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

Manning is adorable!!

44. Johnson
    7:01 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

Baker you’re the man. Big ears and all. Joker has staked his career to Newton IMO, he ran off Mossakowski and declared Newton the next great thing without him ever having earned it. Reap what you sow Joker.

45. blue_reality
    8:53 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

do you really have to ask why Ryan didn’t get a chance?

46. catdaddy
    10:16 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

I think UK beat Indiana about ten years ago 6-3. That was the worst game for me.

47. Joker says
    10:20 pm September 2, 2011 Permalink

“Don’t laugh we are going to compete for championships”…I really fooled all you fans with that one didn’t I?