BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Why are people scared of Georgia?

Maybe it’s just fans being fans, but I don’t really understand the worry that many have about Saturday’s game against Georgia.  I even heard it on the pregame show before the Louisville game.  Oscar Combs claiming Georgia was UK’s biggest threat in the East.  In reality, some of Georgia’s results this season have been quite underwhelming:

(Not included are the first 3 games this season when Trey Thompkins did not play)

Lost to Notre Dame by 6 (Neutral)
Lost to Temple by 7 (Neutral)
Beat Manhattan by 3 (Neutral)
Beat UAB by 2 (Home)
Beat Georgia Tech by 1 (Away)
Beat Arkansas State by 9 (Home)
Beat Mercer by 3 (Away)
Beat Eastern Kentucky by 7 (Home)

I’m sorry, but a team that only beats EKU by 7 on it’s home floor in the game before playing UK doesn’t worry me.  A team that beats Mercer by 3 and Manhattan by 2 doesn’t worry me. And a team that lost against the only 2 teams in the RPI Top 50 they have played doesn’t worry me.

You see, what Georgia has going for it is what Tennessee had going for it during the Buzz Peterson years, and maybe even this year: Lots of flashy talent, little actual results.  This Georgia crew is the same group to not make the NCAA Tournament last year.  This is a program that has not had a winning record in the SEC in 7 years.  This is a program not that long removed from probation and a coaching change.  This is a program with only 2 players ranked 4 stars or better.  Kentucky has 8 of those players.

Georgia has 2 fantastic players in Trey Thompkins and Travis Leslie.  Well, say hello to Terrence Jones and Brandon Knight.  And we’ll go ahead and throw Doron Lamb and Darius Miller in the bunch too.  Who does Georgia have to compare to them?  The answer is nobody.  Much like the UL matchup, if everything perfectly falls into place, UGA could beat the Cats.  But talent almost always trumps circumstance.  Kentucky has significantly more talent than Georgia, plus they are playing better than at any other point this season.  While I look at Georgia’s recent results, it doesn’t appear there is much improvement there.

For only the 3rd time since I have been writing on this site, I am guaranteeing a win.  The other two were the NCAA Tournament over Cornell last season and the win over Louisville in football this season.  Those worked out pretty well, if I remember correctly.

It’s time for people to stop being scared of some of other teams, and start getting confident about this team.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

60 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Why are people scared of Georgia?

1. dhighdrated
    10:03 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

we gon beat they ass

2. Ethan
    10:06 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

GLAD SOMEONE FINALLY SAID IT!
    NCAA leggo my Enes.

3. Player Hater
    10:09 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

Im always confident with the Cats…but it is college basketball. U never know.

4. Al's IndiCats
    10:11 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

If everything falls into place UGA could beat the Cats….You could also add if the dog hadn’t stopped to take a dump he “could’ve” caught the rabbit. Cats by 17 and Polson racks up 24 as he’s inserted at the start of the second half. It’ll be over that quick. Without their two star players UGA is a good High School team….Go Cats FREE ENES!!!!!!!!

5. WhiteOakFreeWill
    10:11 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

Amen brother

6. catinhat
    10:11 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

Bryan, when can we expect your moniker to change one of these days to “Bryan the Full Time Employee”?

I’ll gladly be a reference if you want.

7. Go Deep
    10:12 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

Cause they ugly

8. Ciggy
    10:14 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

Georgia has given kentucky fits at times, I don’t think they got enough to hang with us. But, still, you never really know until the game starts.

9. bigblueswami
    10:17 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

10. bigcay76
    10:18 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

Dead on. It’s ok to say “you never know, just maybe, or any given Saturday”, but this new wave of fear mongering (for lack of a better term) within the media is horse crap. Let’s not forget who we are and who we’re playing. WE ARE UK and they are not.

11. bigcay76
    10:18 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

BTW forgetting who we are got us Billy G.

12. SEC road games
    10:19 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

I think UK by 15 but wouldnt guarantee it. GA played UK tough last year. Then again I wouldnt be ranting about how UK is going to win 9 football games either. always a jab at BTI

13. TheGhostofHagginHall
    10:22 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

14. TheGhostofHagginHall
    10:23 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

ps Free Enes

15. Rock_Cat78
    10:23 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

I wouldn’t entirely project those earlier results upon what happens this Saturday. Something tells me that UGA will be a little more focused and fired up for UK vs. EKU or Mercer. That will be the only sellout of the year in Athens I’m sure.

16. bluebals14
    10:23 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

I’m not getting a sense of fans or anyone else being scared of GA,..or not confident in this team, but to act like a road W is a given isn’t the right attitude either. Over the years I’ve seen alot of talented UK teams go on the road and take Ls to lesser SEC teams,…not to say that it will happen Sat. but I’ve seen happen many times in the past. Don’t underestimate what it means to opposing SEC fans, players, and coaches, for the Big Blue to come to towm. To use the latest Cal cliche’, this actually IS GA’s Superbowl, if they plan on doing anything significant this season.

Cats by 7 in a battle

17. TheTruth
    10:26 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

BTI, “Its”, not “it’s” for the 27th time. Love ya bro. Just gets annoying reading that in nearly every post.

18. macon_volfan
    10:28 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

as the only person on this board who was at the Mercer UGA game, I can say that Mercer played out of their heads, and slowed down the game to a crawl to stay with UGA. UGA is a good team and will beat some teams in Athens this year.

19. ThankfulCat
    10:28 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

UK should win. However, UGA has a big front line and they have a coach who is a much better player developer than Buzz Peterson ever dreamed of being. Their point guard is a transfer from ETSU and he is smart and quick.

This will be UGA’s only home sellout of the year and that will be worth a few points.

If UK shoots the ball the way they have been shooting, Cats by 10. If not, it could get interesting.

20. jorts from behind the stall
    10:28 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

another double double mark it down

21. Phat Jones
    10:29 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

Reason #1: BBN just loves to worry
    Reason #2: Recent tough games with GA
    Reason #3: The Mark Fox “buzz” still hasn’t worn off of the GA program.
    Reason #4: The trauma of T Leslie’s posterizing of Boogie last year is still lingering in some folks’ psyches
    Reason #5: The Big Blue Effect: Regardless of what a team has done previously, they will very likely play several notches above that against UK

I expect a win but it will probably be close for awhile

22. blairato
    10:37 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

18 – I was at the game too (I’m a Mercer Alum), and you’re right, Mercer played out of their minds.

23. BigBlueFan31
    10:41 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

“Georgia has 2 fantastic players in Trey Thompkins and Travis Leslie. Well, say hello to Terrence Jones and Brandon Knight. And we’ll go ahead and throw Doron Lamb and Darius Miller in the bunch too. Who does Georgia have to compare to them? The answer is nobody. Much like the UL matchup, if everything perfectly falls into place, UGA could beat the Cats.”

Interesting, all of that and you couldn’t even mention JORTS and he certain Double double he will put up??

24. bluecat15
    10:41 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

Hey guys where should I stay in Atlanta during the SEC tournament, I want to be where the UK fans are partying.

25. macon_volfan
    10:43 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

#19-Buzz Peterson was awful at player development, but he was the UT coach before Pearl. You might be thinking of Dennis Felton.

26. willdcat1
    10:45 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

SEC road games are always a concern; if Jorts or Jones end up on the bench in foul trouble, and the perimeter shots aren’t falling, anything could happen. Uga has 2 legit nba talents, w/ an experience edge. Top to bottom, they don’t stack up w/ UK – just like uofl doesn’t. When we play in the other teams gym, its always a concern. UK is the yardstick other SEC teams measure themselves against. Beat UK, you are on your way to a good season, maybe a tourney bid. Lose to UK, you are back in the pack. The Cats almost always get the other teams’ best shot…

27. fish
    10:48 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

d daniels to ku?

28. Reality
    10:49 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

Umm this coming from a UGA grad. If you underestimate us, it will be a long night for you. THis article is clearly written from someone 500 miles from the uga program. Last year Mark Fox made a miracle with the garbage we had on our team and won 14 games. We have a few more recruits this year that will give you guys a run. I agree you ahve more talent, but that dosent always trump everything, I recall USC and West Virgina last year. It will be a close game, mark it down.

29. Richard
    10:49 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

The reason to not take Georgia lightly is: I live in Atlanta and have attended several UK/UGA games. I WILL NOT ATTEND ANOTHER ONE!! The basketball fans in Athens are horrible and that is putting it mildly. They play the band under one basket and a group of routy male students under the other basket. I had the opportunity to set on the front row opposite the UK bench for one game. The abuse and mean really nast abuse from the students was horrible. The name calling of the UK players by the students was something my wife had never heard! The students should have been ejected from the gym. Two other times when I was setting in the lower level I was harrassed for cheering for my team. They cheer for basketball like they cheer for football! They are very poor fans and do not know basketball. I have also attended games at Mississippi and Auburn, both were pleasant. The fans were nice and respectful, even complimentary of UK basketball! I also had an experience at the SEC tourny in Atlanta in which I was cursed out by the wife of the UGA coach (not the current coach). I do believe this team is able to play in this type of environment and win! GO CATS! I LOVE THIS TEAM!

30. Big Blue 66
    10:49 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

UK by 8

31. Al's IndiCats
    10:50 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

13)…… Very interesting read. Here you have a blatant disreguard….
    A) The school turns it’s head….
    B) The NCAA turns it’s head….
    C) Big Ten officals turns it head….
    D) The bowl representitives “BEGS” that the NCAA to propose penalties “UNTIL” after said bowl game is played….
    E) The player “IS” still breaking the rules….

And here is a kid at UK…….still sitting the bench.

UNREAL FLIPPING REAL!

32. Big Blue 66
    10:50 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

29. every time Ive been to Ole Miss the UK fans outnumbered the Ole Miss fans LOL

33. Craig
    10:51 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

I don’t quite get it either. I’ve even seen people on CP say they’re EXPECTING a loss. I’m going into every game left in our season expecting to win, sans maybe a final four matchup against Duke or Ohio St, and even then I wouldn’t say I’d be expecting a loss.

34. Player Hater
    10:52 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

Y is this Daniels kid such a big deal? Not like he is top 5 player..is he?

35. Jezz
    10:56 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

South Carolina wasn’t half as good as this Georgia team last season… No reason to be scared, but no way anybody can guarantee a road win here. I can see the Cats winning by 25, but I can also see them getting beat in a close one. Let’s go big blue. Freenes and stuff.

36. fish
    10:57 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

34-9th

37. bluecat15
    10:59 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

Some say Buckhead is the place to stay in Atlanta during the SEC Tournament?

38. catfan38
    10:59 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

#17 It’s, contraction of it is. BTI right again!!! Go Cats

39. Tom Blevins
    11:11 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

We shouldn’t take Georgia lightly. I think the team took Penn lightly last night and it looked bad until we went on a run late in the first half. Georgia has way better talent than Penn. If they get us down like Penn did, it will be a lot harder to come back. Plus we’ll be on their home court. We need to come out with the attitude that we’re going to be in for a fight, and play hard for 40 minutes. About the game with EKU, the Dogs may have already been looking forward to their game with us. I guarantee you, we will get their A game. We need to give them our A game. Go Big Blue!

40. flibbertigibbet
    11:12 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

Thank you guys for the advice about not taking Georgia lightly. It will surely come in handy as I sit on the couch and watch the game.

41. ThankfulCat
    11:12 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

#25

no, he referred to Buzz in the article. i know he coached at UT.

42. Grammar King
    11:14 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

#38 – In the sentence under review, “it’s” is used as the possessive form of “it.” Ordinarily one would add both an apostrophe and an “s” to show possession, but the spelling “it’s” is reserved for the contraction of “it is.” In this special circumstance, the possessive form of a noun is shown with just an “s” and not an apostrophe and an “s.” #17 is right.

43. yesterdays
    11:16 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

Georgia sucks. Travis Leslie is feared by our fans because he poserized Boogie. Big deal. The kid can jump out of the gym. That doesnt make him the second coming. They have slightly more talent than Louisville without the shooters. We roll them.

44. ricksVD
    11:19 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

it hurts when I pee

45. TheTruth
    11:20 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

42) Thanks. I was starting to think I was in the Twilight Zone.

46. Al's IndiCats
    11:27 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

I’m sure Cal will not let them think that this will be a cake walk by any measure. I’m sure he’ll remind them of last night and in a environment in Athens it’ll be more difficult for them to get back in the game….Cats by 17

47. macon_volfan
    11:33 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

41-sorry. I didn’t RTFA well enough.

29-the UGA basketball ‘fan’ is few and far between. I’ve been to all the UGA UT games since I’ve lived down here, and the UT fans have been louder then the UGA fans each year, except last year. Their student section is awful and mean spirited. No fun, but it is fun to win a road game and be in attendance as a fan of the visiting school.

48. DeAndre Daniels
    11:35 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

I’m going to KU. UK sucks anyways.

49. Beat uga
    11:46 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

UK will beat ugh by 20+

50. serdi
    11:59 am January 4, 2011 Permalink

The analysis is right when looking at the Georgia scores. Only problem is that they will not play like they did in any of their victories or defeats. They will play 10 times better Saturday. It is a SEC tradition. You always play way beyond your capabilities when you play Kentucky. History will repeat itself. The question is will that be enough to beat UK. Time will tell.

51. NBA league pass
    12:32 pm January 4, 2011 Permalink

I honestly don’t think we should be “scared” of anybody we play the rest of the year.
    I think that attitude comes from the Billy G years (and some Tubby years) when we could lose at any time. I think we’re back to the point now where we should feel like we should win EVERY GAME.

52. Dave Bliss
    1:07 pm January 4, 2011 Permalink

Without me there to body check your players under the basket, I hate to say it, but UK should roll in this one.

53. tourneycat
    2:22 pm January 4, 2011 Permalink

37). I have been to the SEC tourney in Atlanta twice and stayed at the embassy suites in Buckhead both times. It’s a good hotel and always full (at least 80% of guests) of cat fans.

54. ATLcat
    2:25 pm January 4, 2011 Permalink

bluecat15 Buckhead or midtown are the places to stay when coming down for the tourney. There are going to be Cat fans everywhere, but Buckhead has all the bars and attractions in between the games while also being somewhat close to the Georgia Dome. There’s also a HUGE UK Alumni Club down here (young and old) that will be hosting events. Can’t wait till March!

55. Roland65
    4:59 pm January 4, 2011 Permalink

I take KSR “guarantees” very lightly. I know this one is not from BTI, but it stuck with me:

March 17, 2010 by Matt Jones

21. Having Said That, Marquette is the Lock of the Year: Washington has literally no chance of winning this game…NO CHANCE. Right now the line is a pick ‘em…Vegas didnt watch Washington play and neither did you. They won the Pac 10 Tournament, but you, me, Spero Dedes, Dan Werner and Ali from Northern Iowa could have won the Pac 10 Tournament this year. Put it all on Marquette.

56. Rick Edwards
    5:30 pm January 4, 2011 Permalink

I went to Athens last year. (Vandy, also). The 10,000 seat was weird to me. I saw a lot of games at Memorial Coliseum, but that was 30 years ago. Other than UT and maybe Fla, are most of the SEC gyms still this small, and how does that effect the team?
    UK 78 Little Brother 63 @ Josh Harrelson Court in the Drexel!! Center

57. Rick Edwards
    5:34 pm January 4, 2011 Permalink

Has anyone ever stayed at the GA Conf. Center, across the street from Stedgeman Coliseum ? How did you like it? Thanks. Happy Blue Year!!!

58. Rick Edwards
    5:51 pm January 4, 2011 Permalink

Anyone ever stayed at Ga Conf Center , across the street from Stedgeman Coliseum? How did you like it please? Thanks. Happy Blue Year !!!

59. Enes
    7:48 pm January 4, 2011 Permalink

Preach on BTI!

60. Reality
    12:50 am January 5, 2011 Permalink

Rick, the Ga conference center is fine. Went to school there. Def nothing special but it is right there. If you want to stay away from downtown then thats the place. The Hotel Indigo is the nicest one along with the foundry inn and right downtown for the place to be after the game.
    PS there are no UGA fans because dennis Felton from your state ran us into the ground. When Jim Harrick was cheating here there were people stading all around the stadium due to no seats. Jim Harrick reminds me a lot of coach Cal. Just sayin….