BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: What would make this a successful season?

It is clearly time to hit the refresh button on the season once again.  We have all had time to vent and whine and complain, and trust me, I did my share of that yesterday.  But even still, with an SEC Tournament and NCAA Tournament ahead, it is still not out of the question for this team to do big things.  Those hopes certainly don’t seem high considering the way this team has played, BUT you have to admit the talent is there to play with anybody.

I find it hard to believe that anybody would consider this season SUCCESSFUL at this point.  But, I am interested in what will have to happen in the last 5-10 games this season for that opinion to change.  Several options are possible, and I just want to know which option would sway you:

(a) Nothing can happen

-I doubt anybody would be in this category, but maybe there are some fans who have already given up on this team, and nothing could sway their opinion.  Maybe they don’t like the players or their behavior, or Cal’s coaching, or the toughness of this team, or whatever.  But, doesn’t matter if their is an SEC title and/or deep NCAA run, maybe you are calling this season unsuccessful.

(b) An SEC Tournament Title (No Expectations for NCAA’s)

-Some people might have already given up on this team making noise in the NCAA Tournament, BUT there is still a legit shot to win the SEC Tournament.  And maybe for some people, to add to the trophy case at Kentucky in one way or another will make this a successful season.  Some might argue this team doesn’t have the talent for NCAA success, so winning the SEC is the plateau for this team.

(c) SEC Tournament Title and Win 1 NCAA game

-Certainly UK fans live for the NCAA Tournament.  And for some, just winning the SEC Tournament is not enough.  For some, a 1st round exit in the NCAA’s is just flat out unacceptable.  So, to consider this season a success there has to be at least 1 win in the NCAA Tournament.  Plus, the way this season is going, the 1st round game is going to be a challenge, thus making a 1st round win that much more an achievement.

(d) Sweet 16 (No SEC Tourney Expectations)

-I find it hard to believe that if this team makes the Sweet 16 that the SEC Tournament will really matter, so I skip that option.  But there are many fans that NO MATTER HOW CRAPPY THE TEAM, UK can not do worse than the Sweet 16 for a season to be called a success.  The Crawford-Bradley team, an 11 seed, some called unsuccessful for not winning an NCAA Tournament game or two.  Plus, this team has enough talent to make it this far.

(e) Elite 8

-This team has enough talent to make an Elite 8.  They have enough toughness for a 1st round NIT loss.  But, considering the talent level, some fans want them to play to the level.  So despite the gaps in the bench and overall inexperience, some fans will not cut this team any slack.  Plus, Cal was paid BIG money to make it to this level of the tournament and further.

(f) Final Four or Bust

-I would hope this would make up a very small minority of fans, but we all know they exist.  Some fans want the Final Four every single year.  This is Kentucky.  We strive for Final Fours and nothing else.  Billy Gillispie’s final year was a bust, not because of the idiocy off the floor, but because they didn’t make the Final Four.  Don’t believe me?  Check some of the call-in shows from that year.

So, let me know which letter are you.  For me, I am a (b).  If this team can win an SEC title, then the NCAA Tournament really wouldn’t mean much to me.  Frankly, winning the SEC Tourney, the way this team is playing, would be an OVER-achievement.  So, that is where I stand.  Where are you?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

92 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: What would make this a successful season?

1. gahhub
    9:03 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

2010-2011 cats are turlbe

2. hoofhearted
    9:05 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

SEC Tourney Semi’s or Finals depending on the seeding and the Sweet Sixteen.

3. BG Man
    9:06 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

I say final four or the season is a bust. 14 years is way too long to go without a final four appearance.

4. Roach K
    9:06 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

I just don’t want another ten-loss Tubby season. I thought we were past that kind of thing.

5. azzie
    9:09 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

c

6. bluesince66
    9:11 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

A couple of wins in the SEC tournament and sweet 16 is about what I expect.

7. Mark Liptak
    9:12 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Make the tournament, win two games (although I honestly don’t know if that’s possible with this team) and oh yea, have some of these kids stay for another year. They clearly need it, they’ll get chewed up and spit out in the NBA right now. Wall, Cousins, Bleadsoe they aren’t. I’ll also add hiring a team shrink the way these kids choke with a game on the line.

Mark Liptak

8. ten losses says
    9:12 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

option (g)
    Cats beat Florida and Vandy, lose to UT, go into Atlanta as the 3 seed from the East, win Thursday & Friday, Saturday is a toss up, and Sunday if they make it, the tank is empty, so no SEC tourney title.

Gut feeling is Sweet 16 or Elite 8 at best.

9. Sylvar
    9:13 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Honestly, I feel like the season is over. I know that sounds awful, but until they show some heart and execution in the last 5 minutes of a game what is the point. Winning the SEC tourny? That would be nice, but does that make it a “Successful Season”? No. At this point I think there would have to be an SEC title AND a deep NCAA run…and even then do you call it Successful? Lucky? Miraculous?

10. knightynight
    9:15 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

final four! and BTI…my hopes are always high…

11. Gus Chiggins
    9:15 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

I was ne’er good in skool… So imma F… Ohhhh cinnamon and gravy!!!

12. JP Wilson
    9:16 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

I fit in (D). But I really think these next two home games can define the season as well. They win these two, they will “win” back some of the fan base. Extra important are these next two games.

13. Go Cats
    9:17 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

We’ll be an 8 or 9 seed and lose in the second round.

14. Biglaw Dawgin
    9:18 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

(d) – With the caveat that they need to win the SEC tourney as well.

15. Lou eaton
    9:19 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

It is what it is and we could win the SEC or lose the first game. We could win the first game in the NCAA and catch fire or lose the first game. Mabe we will play better on a neutral floor. Cal needs to let them play more loosely and stop screaming so much…mental health is very important to players and theirs must be shot by now…playing too tense and afraid of the coach is the problem right now period!!!

16. Doug Moe
    9:19 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Were going to Houston to cut down the nets!

17. Let's Get Real
    9:20 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Just throwing this out there. Last year’s Tenn team was very similar to our team this year. What did they do? Got hot in the tournament and made it all the way to the elite 8. I’m not giving up just yet.

18. Cat in the Hat
    9:20 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

I really didn’t think they would win this many games..some of the freshman are good but the rest are scrubs, what a joke! So get ready for next season, because this years team is a bust.

19. Blue-Tinted Reality
    9:20 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

I would agree that an SEC title would be a success. But I don’t think any Kentucky fan can really have NO NCAA tourney expectations. I would be a C at least.

20. Daggumit Larry
    9:20 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

How can you consider the season a disappointment? The only disappointments to me are:

1. 2 point per game Daniel Orton bolts for the NBA.
    2. Enes is not freed.
    3. Darnell Dodson acts like a Tennessee recruit.

Geez folks, we are not that bad. Heck, that enior-led 1992 squad lost 7 games. I realize we are sitting on 8 losses, but how bad is that with 3 freshmen, Jorts, Miller and Liggins. Last year’s team set a high bar. Just enjoy the rest of this season and watch the primer go on the wall an incredible 2011-2012 season. I don’t think any of these guys will go pro. If that is the case, we return 2 seniors, a talented and EXPERIENCED sophomore class and the best freshmen class in the country. 🙂

21. Cory Brandt
    9:23 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Making the NCAA tournament with 3 tough games left and SEC tournament are a success. There is a small chance we don’t make the tournament, but I think we will take care of business Tuesday and against Tenn.

22. Doubting Thomas
    9:30 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

This team is already a bust for me. We have 3 regular season games left and then the SEC tournament. We could very easily lose our next 4 games and not even make the NCAA tournament. Being in this position is not where I would have hoped prior to the start of the season. Yes we lost Big Enes but this team reminds me of 10 loss Tubby and that wasn’t acceptable was it?

23. Japrick
    9:32 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

I think they might tank in the SEC tourney. Let the guys rest up instead of playing 4 in 4.

24. CatsFan517
    9:32 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Considering where the BBN was just a mere two years ago…this year is a SUCCESS! Hands down. We have the incoming freshman classes for next year, the year after, and the year after that considering UK as an elite school once again. We may not be where all of us fans ultimately want to be right now, but we are on the road there. And to me, that equals success. Now that’s the big picture view. As for an isolated view of the UK Wildcats 2010-2011, sure it might come off as a little disappointing. But damn people, Calipari’s a magician, not a god. We’ll get there (hopefully soon).

25. bigbadjon
    9:33 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

D

26. Japrick
    9:33 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

This team realistically has Sweet 16 talent. Could go farther or not as far depending on matchups.

27. thisMBistoughtoseecomentson
    9:34 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

NIT Title legitimizes this year ..esp. if it’s over UL

28. SanDiegoDave
    9:34 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

d

29. JRA
    9:34 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

meeting the expectations of others can be one of the most difficult things in life, parents, other family, coaches, peers, patients. Spending your time trying to meet anyone’s expectations is waste of time, do the next right thing, put the effort into doing what is in front of you and to hell with the rest!

30. knightynight
    9:36 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

some of you guys are just depressing and i feel sorry for the people in your lives that have to witness it daily…final 4 baby!

31. bigbadjon
    9:36 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

next year we cut the nets down

32. Al's IndiCats
    9:37 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

My expectations are:::
    We win the SEC tournament
    Get a favorable seeding and go to the sweet 16
    All with the exception of Jorts come back. Would love him back but he’s a senior.

On my wish list are….
    Puke, UNC, OSU, Kans-ass, Gay-tors, Loserville get beat in the first game. Cats get on fire and goes to the Final Four….Hey it’s my wish list, BITE ME!

33. Chris
    9:38 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

MY OPINION is, that I was totally feelinig this way all year, but something clicked in my head and I realized, being a UK fan, we expect perfection and nothing less, after losing 5 guys to the first round, and 2 more Seniors, and 1 dudson(I mean dodson)that left Cal with A LOT of ground to make up in a little time frame to put together a “Good or Decent” team. After thinking that, I have relaxed more watching the games, yeah I still get frustrated because we are better than Arkansas, or Ole Miss, heck most the teams in the SEC, but we are very young and very thin on the bench. I don’t blame anyone but myself for putting the bar so high for this team that they never stood a chance in my opinion. I like this team, I think Jones is a monster, Knight & Lamb are money, and Liggins IS a Defensive Machine. Of course I’d love a better season, but being a Cubs fan, I have realized I’ll wake up tom. (Hopefully) and move on to the next game. So keep your heads up UK fans, we have had a good year for what we have had happen to us. No other coach in the world would have pulled together a team this good in that short a period of time. So be happy for having such an awesome recruiting maching in Coach Cal.

GO CATS

34. BlueFins
    9:39 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

I think the writing was on the wall early with this team. You could see their shortcomings. However, they have shown they can be very good, and have the talent to make waves. Personally, I try not to get to jazzed up about how far they can, or should, go. That way I don’t have as far to fall when they don’t play up to expectations. Of course I would love them to win every game, but the sun always rises the next day. GO CATS!!

35. mudcat
    9:40 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

9) what you said is kind of where I am at. This team could make a run to the Elite 8 or lose in the first weekend. That is what we are right now. Let’s keep the home winning streak going!

36. CatsFan517
    9:43 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Chris (33)…right there with ya man. I’m a Cubs fan too, and you know our motto….”There’s always next year.” Way to be optimistic.

37. mudcat
    9:44 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

#8 I mean…I definitely don’t feel like #9!

38. Blueburg
    9:45 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Optimistic expectations- win 2 of the next 3, lose to a team with inside size in SEC tourney championship, Sweet 16. Realistic expectations- lose 2 of next 3, lose 2nd game in SEC tourney, lose 2nd round game of NCAA tourney. I’ve learned thru the yrs that whenwe are not having a good season, don’t pretend like somehow they will play much different at tourney time. We have no depth, we already act wore out. Coach couldn’t care less about SEC tourney so why even worry about it. But we are already in a hole. Our seeding and draw in the NCAA doesn’t look favorable. The first team we play with grit and/ or inside size and we’re done. It is what it is. ‘Looking forward to next yr. Go ‘Cats!

39. CatsFan517
    9:45 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Chris (33)…right there with ya man. I’m a Cubs fan too, and you know our motto…”There’s always next year.” Way to be optimistic!

40. CatsFan517
    9:46 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Oops, didn’t mean to post twice. GO CATS (and CUBS)!!!!

41. Roach K
    9:46 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

It will be interesting to see how the team responds in the NCAA’s where they have slightly more timeouts due to the inflated ad space that CBS always does that time of year, plus they will have the crowd advantage (no more road games!). And maybe Polson will explode now that he saw Rotnei Clark show what a slow white kid can do…

42. Matt
    9:53 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

This team is very frustrating to watch at times, but I would NOT consider this team or this year a bust as of yet. This team has the talent and skills to show flashes of greatness just like we saw against SC. It is just so frustrating to watch them take 1 step forward and 2 steps back consistently on the road. And I can’t help but share the feeling that this team has regressed. I remember watching them play earlier in the season (and not just against the cupcake teams) and thinking these guys are playing better together early on than last year’s all-star squad. It’s just difficult to understand what has happened between now and then. With that said, I think I fit into BTI’s (D) column. I honestly have no idea how the SEC tournament will pan out solely based on how we have played against the SEC teams so far this season. It’s just too unpredictable. But if we at least do not make the sweet sixteen in the tournament, then yes, I would say this year was a bust. But no way do I feel like some ppl on here and think the sky has fallen and we’ll be lucky to even make the NCAA… get over yourselves.

43. KB7
    9:56 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

I will create an option for myself. To consider this season a success, the team should win the SEC tourney and get past the first weekend in the NCAA tourney. The odds of this team winning both are slim to none. But, I will look past a loss in the NCAA tourney if we play well and it is a hard fought game similar to that of UK v MSU in 05 or UK and UCONN in I believe the following year. To me, any loss in the SEC tourney or conf. is ALWAYS UNACCEPTABLE!

44. BlueinMI
    9:57 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Being all neutral sites, I feel we can definitely win the SECT and with the right draw, get to the Sweet 16. I have to call my choice (d) with a side of SECT success.

45. yoda
    9:59 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Cats win out. Lose in the sweet sixteen, they will.

46. Al's IndiCats
    10:00 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

33 I agree with you, after last year we as UK fans are very, very spoiled. We expect to win every game even if we floored a team of people of 5’9″ and shorter. This team is just flat out tired! They logged a ton of minutes per game and unfortuately our bench hasn’t stepped up from a fan nor a coaches standpoint.
    For those who bitch and moan, your memories are extremely short. We were losing at home to Gardner Webbs, VMIs San Dieago state (although SDSU are doing GREAT this year). I remember when we couldn’t even get a top 10 recruit on campus, much less have one sign a LOI. Get over it and root your arses off for them, because they’re playing theirs for us.

47. enispresley
    10:01 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

If we get a NCAA draw that gives us good matchups we will go as far as last years group. We have played pretty good with our fans. Since we have a great fan base each game will be more like home games for us. Also, good shooting teams go far in the NCAA. With new fresh legs and the new enthusiasm that comes by playing in the NCAA there could be some excitng things happen. I am looking forward to the NCAA.

48. JThom
    10:04 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

(b) and (e) go hand in hand. For that reason, (c) is not really an option.
    With an SEC tourney win, we move up to a 3 seed or better, which makes the path to the elite 8 easier. If we can’t win the SEC tournament then we are looking at seed somewhere between 4 and 8 and probably not making it to the second weekend.

49. exiled fan
    10:04 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

If two of three freshmen come back next year, this year becomes a success by adding experience to next year’s team.

50. willdcat1
    10:06 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

between D & E, I’d say. Can’t see this group, playing only 6 guys, winning the SEC tourney. 3 or likely 4 games, in as many days – is a war of attrition. Our top 6 is as talented as any, more than most – but no way they can play that many games and be effective. For the NCAA tourney, you never know…some upsets in our bracket, if we get a decent draw (for once), UK could last at least thru the 1st weekend. Or they could be upset by a 12 seed.
    Bugs me how so many want to blame Cal – could he see Orton & Bledsoe wouldn’t return? Could he see Kanter not being allowed to play, or Vargas not developing as expected? I just don’t think he should be blamed for those things. Is this season his best coaching job? Can’t really argue that, but UK is still back on the national scene, and things look great for next season…

51. BigBluDrew
    10:06 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Final 4… to make up for last year. It would be nice to over achieve like Duke last year.

52. Go Cats
    10:10 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Just please don’t let us be on the last four-in and be the play-in game. That would be turrible.

53. _Blackhawk_
    10:11 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

54. suthurnrocker
    10:12 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

listen folks, Jones could care less what happens on this team…he’s lazy and is just going thru the motions so he can bolt to the NBA.

55. Assistant Coach
    10:13 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Color me D) SEC: Four games – four days of winning, with a six man rotation, I don`t see it happening. More likely senario, bowing out in the semi-finals.

NCAA: Refs will call the games even closer. Six man rotation makes us a sweet sixteen team at best.

2011-2012 Season: Talent, experience, leadership, strong bench make us the team to beat.

It has been a great season. Protecting our home court has been impressive! Can`t wait til next season!

56. reedwizard
    10:19 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

I don’t agree with anyone above who says that the players are not playing hard enough. It is obvious to me that they are playing their hearts out. Cal has rid this team of the bad apples and has chosen to not develop the bench. I think the chinks in Cal’s armor has shown through. Whether it is the inability to change the offense or draw up or practice a play that can be executed by the team in the last few minutes, we are not getting it done. We’ve got good players, so where’s the fault lie? If we’ve lost 6 or 7 games all at the end and all on the road, surely the coaching staff has had plenty of time to work on these situations over the last 6 weeks and has nothing to show for it. I think the players are gassed at the end. We never play zone, which seems bull headed, and we don’t use the bench. All choices being made by the coaching staff.

57. sccat
    10:21 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

My prediction is they will make it to the semis in the SEC and lose in the 2nd round in the NCAA’s. If this team makes it to the Sweet 16, this year is considered a success! Btw…JORTS WAS WIDE OPEN!!!

58. jaybruce
    10:21 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

I would fit in D i suppose. But there is a need to rephrase. I consider a season in which UK doesn’t make the sweet 16 a disappointment. Not a complete and utter failure.

59. legions momma
    10:22 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

E. This aint Louisville.

60. Johnny Mullins
    10:23 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

I still think this team has the capability to win it all and the SEC tourney…Every tournament game is like a home game for us. GO CATS!!!

61. TommyT46
    10:26 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

E..

62. UKman
    10:34 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

29) thanks, too bad UK fans don’t think that way….make ME happy or get someone else who will is the way most think

63. What?
    10:34 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

At least the SEC Championship game and get out of the first weekend for the NCAAs (Sweet 16).

They have the talent to do that…whether they do is yet to be seen!

64. free enes
    10:41 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

FREE ENES!!!!

65. Chris
    10:44 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Listen, whoever says they have no heart doesn’t totally know what they are talking about. Yes this teams has some flaws, BUT you try to play (as 1 of the 6 guys who ARE playing) and lets see how your legs feel and lets see how mentally tuff you are by the end of the year. Let me put it this way, We are in the TOP 25 and we are playing 6 PEOPLE, SIX. I mean what does that say. Put in to that, that we lost 9 PLAYERS last year, NINE. You have to be proud of what they have done. They have played their hearts out, and when “WE” being UK fans start acting like this, tha’s when Coaches start splitting, players stop coming, so we need to realize what we have and what Coach Cal DID pull off after losing 9 players, I would have to say we have had a pretty good year. Maybe not up to “UK standards”, but I’m good with this year. Yeah I would be Lying if I said, I don’t want them to win every game, but I have to take a step back and look at what all has happened in the past year. And WHEN you do the same and look at it the way you should, you will realize they are doing a good job, it could be better, but still GOOD JOB CATS.

GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!

66. john4uk
    10:47 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Cal has repeatedly shown he does not have the coaching skills to win the NCAA championship,nor develop this team to ivercome physical olay,so we will prpbably see an early exit from the SEC tourney,and depending on the draw in the NCAA either a second or third round exit .Hope i’m wrong,but just don’t have any confidence in the coach or team right now.

67. The BCG Experience
    10:52 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Let’s not forget Cal asked us to put all our eggs in the NCAA tournament basket! With that said…

a) In the SEC tourney: Our lack of depth will definitely hurt us. If we make it to the semi-finals I would consider that a success.

b) In the NCAA tourney: as a 4 or 5 seed, in the second round we’ll flame out to the opposing 4 or 5 seed.

This season is a success in that UK is relevant once again under Cal. He’s doing the best he can with the cards he’s dealt, but it is pretty clear he way overestimated this bunch.

68. sbow
    10:57 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

I would say the NCAA committee will include Kentucky because of their schedule. I predict a first or second round loss !

69. Thank You!!!
    11:04 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

F….Final Four or Bust…same expectations year in and year out, no exceptions

70. Loublue2
    11:11 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

We will not win the SEC tourney…too tired, uninspired and no team chemistry. We are whistling Dixie if we think this team of Freshmen get to the Sweet Sixteen. I hate to say it but…we just aren’t very good this year. I can’t figure out WHO the problem is on this team but there IS a problem. I suspect it is Jones…any ideas?

71. Blueburg
    11:20 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Good post Chris (65).

72. TreyDay
    11:21 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

Forget the SEC at this point, will not happen. 4 games in 4 days, with 6 guys playing? We will be dead by Sunday if we can even get that far.

NCAA- If we win out the last 3, I would probably expect us at a 5 seed, maybe higher if we can by some miracle win SEC. I would say even if we get a bad draw this team should be able to reach the Sweet 16. But in reality and unlike years in the past it really depends on the draw. I’d rather take a BYU or SDSU matchup than Wisc., UCONN, etc. It’ll be interesting.

73. Logan G
    11:24 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

(B) I think that if this team could pull out a back to back SEC Championship win that would be impressive. They have great talent but lack the ability to close out tough games unlike last year. Knight is an awesome player, great shooter, but isn’t able to make those AMAZING John Wall “superman” shots at the end of a nailbiter. I also believe the 3 starting freshman should stay another year and get more experience…and win the WHOLE THING next year. GO BIG BLUE!

74. KevinC
    11:25 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

I don’t question the (overall) “heart” of this team ; it’s their collective BRAIN that I have doubts about. 😮

That being said, this season is likely a wash…I’m just DVRing the games from here on, and only watching if they win….tourneys included.

My real concern is whether next year will be any better, with Harrelson gone, and possibly all 3 star freshmen as well. If we only lose Jones (hes’ nowhere near ready, but neither were Bledsoe, Patterson, or Orton), we’ll be fine. If Jones and Knight leave, we’re in trouble…again…barring amazing Senior seasons from both DeAndre and Darius. Also, if Knight leaves after one year, it will really make him look bad, given his supposed love for school, and desire to get an education.

75. Owen
    11:29 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

b/d. I will not be happy if we go out in the second round of the tourney but I don’t know if I’d say it was an unsuccessful season if we win the SEC tourney.

Honestly, the losses we have on the road right now hurt but if we pull out the next 3 games and make a run in the SEC Tourney, we should have a pretty good seeding for the NCAAs. We would have 2 more wins over top 25 teams not counting whoever we would beat in Atlanta. That’s best case but we certainly have the talent to pull it off since we get Florida and Vandy at home.

76. tomuky
    11:54 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

This team has the talent to play with anybody. As long as Big Blue Nation travels well to the SEC Tourney and NCAA Tourney (which history tells us they most certainly will), then why not assume that there will be more of a Rupp atmosphere for the Tourneys?

77. Jack
    11:57 am February 25, 2011 Permalink

I’m 66-years old, long-time season ticket holder and my expectation for Kentucky basketball NEVER changes (and never will). You either win the National Championship or you don’t! Simple and, given what we all think of this program and want the program to be, what else should my expectation be? However, anybody who thinks that just because the team doesn’t win the title and meet the expectation in a given year the season is not successful is nuts. Obviously, you won’t meet the ultimate expectation but very, very rarely. That’s exactly what makes this program unique in my opinion. Expect the absolute ultimate challenge and do it every year. Settle, in your expectations, for nothing less but always cherish all those wins, SEC titles, other tournament titles, NCAA appearances and records UK has that will never be broken. Then, when YOU get to be 66 and look back over all of it in aggregate, you’ll understand why you are the luckiest and most blessed basketball fans on earth.

78. Cat Fan
    12:10 pm February 25, 2011 Permalink

E- Coach has the talent, just needs to do his job to get them to the Elite 8. Lacks the depth to make a Championship run. ********Sending 5-8 kids to the NBA in two years is all well and good, but we are KENTUCKY fans, not a college AAU-style stepping stone.********

79. Real UK Fan
    12:20 pm February 25, 2011 Permalink

Why so many damaging UK fans on here?????? We get the coach everybody wants, get TWO im sorry make that THREE #1 recruiting classes in his first 3 yrs and I will say we are not even thru the first 2 yet and people have issues and they whine. If your so good and mighty please why didnt you play or coach? We are UK yes we are suppose to have high expectations, but how do we have the right to criticize 18 and 19 yr old kids who came here to play for big blue and rep our state and those beautiful white and blue colors and rupp? Its sad to see people lose it and you wonder why Tubby was upset and why were doing the exact thing to Cal b4 he even gets settled in!!!! Grow up and remember that 2 yrs ago we had Dakota Euton as a top recruit and BCG as a head coach!!!

80. csb087
    12:22 pm February 25, 2011 Permalink

c

81. Justin G.
    12:23 pm February 25, 2011 Permalink

Heres how I look at it. UK has lost its last 7 games by a combined total of 20 points. All of those loses are also on the road. This shows that UK easily has the talent to compete, but lacks the MENTAL TOUGHNESS to win tight games on the road. The Cats on the other hand have been crushing teams at home. This season is far from over, and the NCAA selection committee sees that we are not getting dominated in these loses. The Cats are getting beat by themselves and not by their opponent! The Cats still have some tough games ahead, but also opportunities to establish some big wins. I do not expect the Cats to win the SEC tourney even though the UK faithful will fill the stands. I do not see it because UK will have to win 4 games in 4 days, and with a team that has a 6 man rotation. That is inconceivable! I think they will win 1 game in the tourney, just because UK will probably be a 7 seed as long as they do not fold down the stretch. With a little rest, and energy, they should win their first NCAA game.

82. bluesince66
    12:23 pm February 25, 2011 Permalink

Great post Jack.

83. Ky76
    12:26 pm February 25, 2011 Permalink

C.

(I am sick and tired of these idiots jumping all over Cal….)

This team has zero Chemistry….we were spoiled by last years team being a true family….

Coach is not the problem….Terence Jones is the problem.

84. Craig
    12:28 pm February 25, 2011 Permalink

I’ll have a generally positive view of things if they can win the SEC tournament and at least make the sweet-16. Both.

85. EvansvilleUKFan
    12:28 pm February 25, 2011 Permalink

d

86. 430 West Vine
    12:28 pm February 25, 2011 Permalink

You should take the same poll if we beat Florida tomorrow. See how much opinions change after a big win vs. a bad loss. There’s your posts for Monday and Tuesday BTI.

87. Kevin Bacon's Dancemoves
    12:38 pm February 25, 2011 Permalink

BTI,

What is KSR’s plans in Catlanta?

88. PortlandCat
    12:57 pm February 25, 2011 Permalink

No Expectations 2011!

89. Dave_in_Oldham
    1:04 pm February 25, 2011 Permalink

Expectation is the same as every year. Win every game up to and including the National Championship. Is this reasonable? Of course not. But, once they tip-off in any game, with any oppenent, at any location I want a win. Cal simply messed up this year. No depth. The talent is there. But, there is no depth and that means they aren’t going very far.

90. jaybruce
    1:39 pm February 25, 2011 Permalink

I always find it funny when people start freaking out cals percieved game coaching abilities or liabilities. I’m not saying he’s good or bad, or somewhere in between, but I always just point out that roys williams who IS most definately a pretty terrible game coach has multiple national championships simply because of his ability to recruit. So even if cal is a poor game coach, its not like there isn’t a precedent for someone’s ability to recruit overshadowing their inability to coach. And UK had a great coach who was a decent recruiter in tubby, and 1/2 fhe population was absolutey furious that he wasn’t the top recruiter.

People need to chill out and give cal some time. I want to make final fours, and win national titles, but simply because we dont doesn’t mean we need to freak out. Nobody in this day and age will make the final four or even elite 8 every year. There might be some down years, but there will also be some more exciting ones as well.

91. Jacocat
    2:35 pm February 25, 2011 Permalink

i hope we just win the games we are supposed to win. that said i dont hold much hope for winning the sec. 3 or 4 games straight would be hard with our depth. i could see a sweet 16 or elite 8 though..

92. Big Blue Barber
    8:13 pm February 25, 2011 Permalink

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA all the way. Gimme next year with an NBA lockout, nobody leaves, and we get a couple more big guys.
    I’d be shocked if we won the sec and I’d say we lose in the first or second round of the tourney…depending on the seed.