BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Under/Overachievers over the past 10 years

I figure it’s as good a time as any to take a trip down memory lane, and reconsider some of the recruiting decisions of the last decade.  Below, I have split every scholarship recruit since 2002 (excluding the 2010 class that hasn’t finished proving itself yet) into groups of overachievement, underachievement, and push.  Push essentially means the player performed at the level expected when coming to school.  A couple things to keep in mind about my rankings:

-I did NOT include off the court behavior or fan likeability into the rankings.  Only on the court performance was considered for this particular list.  Hence why guys like Darnell Dodson may have been given higher rankings than fans considered.

-Stars matter.  If a 5-star player scored 500 points in his career, and a 4-star player scored 500 points, I consider the 4-star player more of an overachievement.  Hence why Ramel Bradley is ranked ahead of Joe Crawford.

OVERACHEIVER
*****Patrick Patterson (2007): 3 seasons, 1,564 points (16.1 ppg), 791 rebounds (8.2 rpg)
*****John Wall (2009): 1 season, 616 points (16.7 ppg), 241 assists (6.5 apg)
*****Demarcus Cousins (2009): 1 season, 575 points (15.1 ppg), 375 rebounds (9.9 rpg)
****Kelenna Azubuike (2002): 3 seasons, 970 points (10.0 ppg), 48.5 FG%
****Ramel Bradley (2004):4 seasons, 1,326 points (10.4 ppg), 316 assists (2.7 apg)
****Jodie Meeks (2006): 3 seasons, 1,246 points (15.4 ppg), 38.6 3p%
****Eric Bledsoe (2009): 1 season, 419 points (11.3 ppg), 106 assists (2.9 apg)

PUSH
*****Randolph Morris (2004): 3 seasons, 1,123 points (12.6 ppg), 531 rebounds (6.0 rpg)
*****Rajon Rondo (2004): 2 seasons, 654 points (9.6 ppg), 285 assists (4.2 apg)
*****Joe Crawford (2004): 4 seasons, 1,438 points (11.3 ppg), 426 rebounds (3.4 rpg)
**** Perry Stevenson (2006): 4 seasons, 602 points (4.5 ppg), 491 rebounds (3.7 rpg)
****Derrick Jasper (2006): Given pass due to injury, otherwise an underacheiver
****Darius Miller (2008): 3 seasons, 663 points (6.8 ppg), 315 rebounds (3.3 rpg)
****Deandre Liggins (2008): 3 seasons, 451 points (5.3 ppg), 179 assists (2.1 apg)
***Bobby Perry (2003): 4 seasons, 665 points (5.5 ppg), 41.8 FG%
***Josh Harrellson (2008): 3 seasons, 296 points (3.8 ppg), 310 rebounds (3.9 rpg)
***Darnell Dodson (2009): 1 season, 209 points (6.0 ppg), 34.7 3P%

UNDERACHEIVER
*****Antwain Barbour (2002): 2 seasons, 259 points (4.2 ppg), 40.6 FG%
*****Daniel Orton (2009): 1 season, 129 points (3.4 ppg), 126 rebounds (3.3 rpg)
****Shagari Alleyne (2003): 3 seasons, 138 points (1.9 ppg), 96 rebounds (1.3 rpg)
****Brandon Stockton (2002): 4 seasons, 120 points (1.5 ppg), 34.5 FG%
****Rekalin Sims (2005): 1 season, 129 points (4.5 ppg), 85 rebounds (2.9 rpg)
****Jared Carter (2005): 4 seasons, 40 points (0.9 ppg), 47 rebounds (1.0 rpg)
****Alex Legion (2007): 1/2 season, 40 points (6.7 ppg)
****Kevin Galloway (2008): 1 season, 56 points (1.8 ppg), 51 assists (1.6 apg)
****Jon Hood (2009): 2 seasons, 46 points (1.1 ppg), 33 rebounds (0.8 rpg)
***Bernard Cote (2002): 2 seasons, 60 points (1.1 ppg), 39.6 FG%
***Sherray Thomas (2003): 4 seasons, 308 points (2.6 ppg), 46.8 FG%
***A.J. Stewart (2007): 2 seasons, 104 points (2.0 ppg), 74 rebounds (1.4 rpg)
**Lukasz Obrzut (2003): 4 seasons, 196 points (1.6 ppg), 135 rebounds (1.1 rpg)
**Adam Williams (2004): 1 season, 8 points (0.5 ppg)
**Michael Porter (2006): 3 seasons, 243 points (2.7 ppg), 142 assists (1.6 apg)

Because I already know which players will cause the most uproar in the comments, let me explain my thinking about a couple of these guys:

Morris: I went back and forth on this because Morris never SEEMED to play hard.  Plus he came in as a 5-star player.  But, in my opinion, he was the best true center at Kentucky since Kenny Walker Sam Bowie.  Cousins would eventually take that title.  But despite Morris’ off the court issues (which were not included), Morris was a consistent force in the post, and in his junior year, was the only player UK could depend on.  Thus, he is a PUSH for me.  Most will probably disagree, but most hate him PERSONALLY, and thus ignore his actual results on the court.

Bledsoe: If Bledsoe had been a 5-star, I might have dropped him to PUSH status, but as a 4-star, he way exceeded expectations.

Crawford: No doubt the hardest choice I struggled with.  The problem I had with Joe is it took him 2 1/2 years to come around.  His senior season was fantastic, but he really only had 1 1/2 “great” years at UK.  And as a 5-star player, that just isn’t good enough to move out of the PUSH category.

Rondo: Probably the only guy who I considered his NBA career in the ranking.  We now see just how good he could have been, and whether that was Tubby’s fault or not, Rondo did not reach nor exceed his potential at UK.

Liggins:I am giving Liggins a pass as a current player and his much improved play this season.  But, if he drops off any over the next year, he would likely drop to underachiever in my book.

Perry: Certainly, he was never a star at Kentucky.  But as a 3-star in high school, we should not have expected him to be one.  He basically played like a 3-star plays.  Same goes for Harrellson and Dodson.

So, where am I off-base?  Which guys have been overachievers and underachievers in your book?  And, what about this freshman class currently playing.  Where would you put those guys?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

103 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Under/Overachievers over the past 10 years

1. OhioCatFan
    10:12 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

You blew it when you put up a picture of Elvis to begin your article.

2. Cal Purnell here
    10:12 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Best thing I’ve not read yet. Good Job BTeye

3. floydfan
    10:12 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

I got Chuck Hayes as an overacheiver.

4. Chris Thomas
    10:12 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

BTI brings the facts everyday, and I love it

5. truBLU
    10:14 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Who rated Brandon Stockton as a 4 star? Seriously?

6. douggercats
    10:14 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Uh, Sky was a PF. I would view Darius as an underachiever thus far given the hype he had coming in.

7. Dusty Mills
    10:15 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Orton should be a push. 1st rounder, locked behind more talent.

Based on star ratings, Meeks is the #1 overachiever in history.

8. icecreampoopjob
    10:16 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Bledsoe was a 5 star – rivals

9. 1st
    10:19 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

I would say Mike Porter would be a push. A 2 star rating and he started and played hard. But I guess #’s don’t lie. Darn you BTI!!!!

10. Bryan the Intern
    10:19 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Sorry, I should have noted that I used Scout.com for this post. My bad.

11. The Scarlet Pumpernickel
    10:20 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

This post made my head hurt.

12. Cristoforouk
    10:22 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Not too bad of a list. I would agree for the most part. Interesting to break this down by coach even though I know Tubby has a much longer tenure than Gillispie or Cal (right now).

Overachievers:
    Tubby – 3
    Cal – 3
    Gillispie – 1

Push:
    Tubby – 6
    Cal – 1
    Gillispie – 3

Underachievers:
    Tubby – 11
    Cal – 2
    Gillispie – 2

This tells the story of Tubby. Brought in a lot of guys that just underperformed big time based on what was expected. Cal’s numbers will jump up big time in the overachieving department. Jones, Knight, and Lamb would all be there for me based on what they have done so far. People knock Cal for his coaching, but the truth is he gets the most out of his players.

13. catfandan
    10:23 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Enes is an underachiever. Slacker, I expected more out of him than .0 pts and .0 rebounds per game. He was way overated.

14. Cristoforouk
    10:24 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

It’s also interesting that the two underachievers for Cal were actually originally Gillispie recruits (Orton and Hood).

15. willis
    10:24 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

2 things that are also overrated that you left out.

1) Tubby Smith – could underachieve with the most.
    2) Bryan the Intern

16. Mark
    10:24 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Elvis — overrated? Whatever.

17. Claw
    10:25 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

11) Me too. Numbers do that. I miss the days when he posted soccer stories and I just refused to read them. My head didn’t hurt then. but seriously though, Randolph Morris is like the leading scorer in China. Maybe Tubby held him back like he did Rondo. Coach Ramen N. Oodles is really get the most out of old Randolph.

18. TeamPaulyD
    10:25 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

About half of those players of the underacheiver list should’ve played at Eastern Kentucky not Kentucky, but Tubby was a good coach!!

19. Oliver Simmons Ginger Crew
    10:25 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Kenny Walker as a “true center”?

20. Neil
    10:26 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

That is nazr mohammad and jamal magloire …….stupid auto correct on iPhone

21. Kelenna Azibuike
    10:28 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

How am I an overachiever?

22. Skinman
    10:28 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

I can’t agree with Orton. He played behind Boogie and he came off of major knee surgery his senior year. If he had stayed this year and was healthy, he’d be averaging a double/double.

23. UK Wildcat
    10:29 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

I would make a fourth class for players it literally pained me to watch on the court. That would be:

Michael Porter
    Adam Williams
    Sheray Thomas
    Lukasz Obrzut
    Jon Hood
    Brandon Stockton
    Jared Carter

and who could forget Eloy Vargas. He’s in a class all his own.

24. Robert
    10:29 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Thank you for proving your lack of basketball knowledge again. I gave you another chance, but I’ll be skipping your posts from here on.

25. Roger
    10:30 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Fitch?

26. Marvin Stone
    10:31 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

I am going out on a limb but I may have been an underachiever. RIP

27. Marvin Stone
    10:31 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Nevermind

28. Liggins' D Face
    10:32 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Kenny Walker was NOT a center.

29. beau
    10:32 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

22) That’s the point though. He didn’t stay. In the same vein you can say that if Rondo had played for Cal he would have been great as well.

30. Neil
    10:32 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Mohommad and Magloire were both way better than Morris

31. Bryan the Intern
    10:32 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

24) Cmon Robert, at least tell me where I am wrong.

32. dougie
    10:33 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Too much to argue with here. You don’t know enough about UK to make lists like this and put them out for thousands to see. With that said, I read it so, I guess I have no argument. Keep it up.

33. Czech KY fan
    10:34 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Billy G. is the underachiever.

Other than that I have no idea why someone like Jon Hood is on that list as he gets about a minute a game. Hardly shoots and just plays the role that he is supposed to on the team. Do I think Hood is great? No. Do I think he’s guilty of underachieving? Not really. Not everyone on the team can be a potential first round pick.

You could even put Jorts on that list over the last few years by the same logic that it appears you used to put Hood on their.

34. duhhh
    10:34 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

You obviously need to check your rankings on several of those guys. Never understood why people hated you on here but I do now, you’re dumb.

35. Chuck D
    10:35 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Only I can say Elvis was overrated

36. Czech KY fan
    10:35 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

ed note: Naz. Mohammad would be the key overachiever considering he came from the JV team.

37. UK Wildcat
    10:35 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Oh, and Bobby Perry was definitely an underachiever. Aside from his one shining moment against UAB in the tournament he did nothing in his time here.

38. Section 133
    10:36 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Snooooooozzzzzee…..

39. Bryan the Intern
    10:38 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

34) Do you mean the star rankings they have, because those came straight from scout.com? And if you mean their achievment rankings, then tell me where I am wrong. Seriously. I want to hear all sides.

40. minton
    10:38 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Porter an underachiever? He may not have been an allstar but I thought he did better than expected.

41. BillDozer
    10:43 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

24) Robert, you must be in the upper class of people with basketball knowledge. You criticized BTI for his knowledge without providing any yourself. I would like to hear your thoughts.

Sure some may be debatable, but its a solid list.

42. knightynight
    10:44 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

BTI, have you ever thought about using microsoft excel in any of your posts? It would help organization and the decrease of my eye sight quality.

43. Wayne
    10:46 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

cannot believe those calling Tubby an underacheiver, afterall he did win a National Championship. Besides he was about as good a person as I have ever had the privilege of knowing. I had a friend in danger of losing a leg, and I emailed Tubby and an autographed team picture along with a letter of encouragement arrived the next few days.

44. TommyTurtlenecksPitstains
    10:48 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Smooth should be a push
    Darnell was a big let down as he was supposeed to be the sharpshooter
    Miller had underacheived so far although he is by far my favorite on the team and I pray that he really turns it on the rest of the season and through next year
    Porter should stay on the underacheiver list however it should be for football. You could never hear anything about that kid without some reference to being a stellar DB recruited by USC.

45. Oliver Simmons Ginger Crew
    10:51 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

31) BTI, I’ll help Robert here. Kenny Walker was not a true center.

46. Shields face
    10:51 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Kenny Walker line makes this post lose all credibility.

47. 2020
    10:52 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Harrellson came from Southwest Illinois College to be the leading rebounder in the SEC. That is tremendous overachieving, especially considering how BCG wasted his sophomore year and NBA all-stars limited his play and practice time his junior year.

Darius Miller… now that’s defining underachiever. The only reason fans like him is he’s from Kentucky. If he were from Michigan or Florida, fans would see him for who he really is… a player who’s athleticism allowed him to excel in high school, but lack of moves and skills leaves him overmatched in every facet of the game… offense, defense and rebounding.

48. Sam Bowie
    10:53 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Dude, I played center.

49. Mel Turpin's spirit
    10:53 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Dude, I played center, too.

50. Bret Bearup
    10:54 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Dude, before I started getting photographed with hot girls, I played center as always.

51. Cats
    10:55 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

43 thats pretty funny. On another note, michael porter is by far te worst player I will ever see get serious starting minutes in a uk uni. It used to make me sick to watch him. I got cussed out by his family at a Florida game in gainsville of billys last year.

52. Bryan the Intern
    10:55 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Kenny Walker played the 5-spot at Kentucky when Sam Bowie was not in the game. I probably should not have called him a true center. But he did play the center position, in much of the same way Patterson did. My bad.

As a side note, I do get a laugh at the people who vow to never read the post again, and then are right back commenting within the end of the week. I would hate to see how long some of you hold up on your new years resolutions.

53. Blue Mist
    10:56 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

I’ve never been a BTI basher or said that BTI sucks but…Porter came as a 2-star and started for the UK wildcats is OVERACHIEVING. He cannot help it that others did not beat him out. It is a testament to the Tubby Smith era. I don’t think you can even rate players that were run off or left after one year. BTW, where would Patrick Sparks be on this list?
    Saying R. Morris was the best true center since Kenny Walker–was that a joke or did you call Kenny Walker a true center?
    I am not going to say “you suck” but I am starting to understand why some people on here have said “you suck” before.
    Thanks BTI.

54. Biglaw Dawgin
    10:59 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

– 5. Stockton was legit in HS. Although he only totaled 120 pts in college, I “personally witnessed” him drop almost half of that in a 32 min game (disclaimer: I wasn’t guarding him). I could see how he was 4 stars. Very disappointing college career in my opinion.

55. Kenny Walker
    10:59 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Let me clear things up… Sam, Mel and Bret played C/PF, placing me at small forward my first 2 seasons. I moved to power forward as a junior, thanks to Bret in the middle. My senior season, we ran a 3-guard, 2-forward offense with Winston Bennett supporting me in the middle.

Funny, remember when we called James Blackmon a “tall guard” at 6’3″?

56. UK_Football_Fan
    11:02 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

I for one think this is a great list. The only one I’d argue with is Porter, who was recruited as an afterthought and ended up a starter. I’d call him a push. I think the list also shows some flaws in the ratings. Guys like Alleyne, Stockton and Carter didn’t underachieve so much as they were grossly misrated. I’m still not sure what happened with Barbour.

57. mark
    11:08 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

54. Give my boy Brandon a break. Hell, he was 5 foot nothin. Actually should have gone to Western but did good late in the season when called on.

58. Go Deep
    11:08 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Harrelson is definitely an overachiever at this point. Counting his average from Freshman thru Junior is somewhat misleading. As a three star he shouldn’t have played at all as a Fr or Soph.

59. Turk does work
    11:08 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Carrier?

60. Blue Mist
    11:09 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

My list would have only two overachievers, because these are all based on expectations and we Wildcat fans always expect our players to live up to expectations.

Overachievers = Jodie Meeks and Michael Porter

Pushes = All the one and dones last year would be pushes because this is what we expected. Patterson is
    a push because we expected him to be the Savior of the program and he was.

Underachievers = There are a few but my top 3 would be A. Barbour, Shagari, and J. Carter.

I didn’t go back any farther than the last 10 years or so.

61. Al's IndiCats
    11:10 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

There’s only one name on that sticks out to me and that is Morris. To give him an underachiever is giving him a compliment. When the Cats would play home games his uni was white, if they had several road games then came back to Rupp it would be green from alga growing on it. BTI I normally like what you do with stats, but my friend, for Jorts to get a push…..ummmm I think the verdict is still out there. To where he was this time last year, I’d give him a overachiever status right now. Although he’s not as athletic as Terrence, I’d have to say I’m becomming more and more impressed with his play. Keep up the good work BTI!

62. Kuric's achne
    11:10 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Current players on the list? Kind of hard to judge them till they are done. Kenny Walker played with Bowie in 84. Turpin probably would have been the center on that team with Bowie at power forward, then Bowie. Walker played the post in 85 and 86 due to the lack of a quality center.

63. SanDiegoDave
    11:12 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

I don’t see John Wall as an overachiever. He was expected to light it up and he did. He’s a push.

64. Al's IndiCats
    11:14 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

You also should’ve have had a “Should have NEVER wore the Kentucky Uniform….For me….It would’ve been Saul Smith……Hands down! WHAT A WASTE OF A SCHOLLY! For his four years, he had more turnovers than Pilsbury Bakeries

65. Kige's Writer
    11:14 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

#62 – It’s Kuric’s “acme”

66. Cory Brandt
    11:15 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Are people forgetting that Darius Miller played on the Gold Medal winning USA team and was dominant on both ends of the court? I would say he has not lived up to his potential YET, but he is a work in progress. He needs some motivation to get his head on straight. It is frustrating to see and hear all the negativity around him. Last year he could have transfered when all of the stars came to town, but he stayed and is giving everything for this program. When his career is over at UK next year, let’s hope he has put all the pieces together. If his lack of motivation and ghost-like games continutes, he will find himself coming off the bench next year because there are more stars coming to town. But to say he or any other current player has underachieved while they are still playing is outrageous. BTI – did you forget about Nazr and Magloire? Were they not true centers?

Can you look up Cliff Hawkins Scout / Rivals ranking and tell us what he was? It would be an interesting piece where you would place him.

67. SanDiegoDave
    11:16 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

My number #1 overachiever is Chris Gettelfinger. Why? Even after 30 years, we all still know the color of his hair.

68. Kuric's acne
    11:24 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

sorry “acme”?
    #64 Saul Smith is #10 all time in assists

69. Johnny Utah
    11:25 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

As you much as some of you like to complain about BTI, your comments prove how ridiculous some of you are. 24/32 I’m looking at you. I don’t personally agree with all of his rankings, but that’s the point. The idea is to start a little debate, not serve as a platform to declare yourself the almighty judge and jury on all things UK basketball. Get over yourselves.

70. Roofus Howls
    11:28 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Richard Madison scoffs at this discussion of under-achievement. The Master Blaster dominated under-achieving.

Agree that Orton shouldn’t be on that list due to circumstance.

71. G$
    11:39 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Agree with 63. How can Wall be considered an overachiever? The dude was considered a #1 draft pick before even putting on the Kentucky jersey. Push.

72. Jason Parker
    11:40 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

How the hell did I get left off this list? I’m the biggest dud in the last 30 years!

73. tim
    11:44 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

I’m beginning to think BTI is dumb.

Eric Bledsoe was a 5 star player.

74. Nolecat21
    11:45 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

How can a 5 star over achieve? You’d expect them to enter the 1,000 pt club, break records, become All Americans. Greatest over achievers (based on star rating) in UK history that come to mind would be Fitch, Hayes, Daniels, Meeks, Padgett, Feldhaus, Pelphrey, Azubuike,Muhammed, Magloire, and Brassow.

75. Lolcats
    11:49 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Does anyone else here skip the actual BTI post and go straight to the hate comments because they’re entertaining?

76. Rev
    11:52 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Jason Parker– classic underachiever.

77. Nolecat21
    11:58 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

How can a 5 star over achieve? Don’t you expect them to break records, become All Americans, join the 1,000 pt club? Some of the greatest over achievers that come to mind are Fitch, Hawkins, Daniels, Pelphrey, Feldhaus, Muhammed, Magloire, Hayes, Azubuike, and THE number ONE Hayes.

78. 2020
    11:59 am February 10, 2011 Permalink

Wall overachieved when he hit the game-winner vs. Miami Ohio. At the time, we all said “Can’t believe he took charge and did that.” That’s overachieving right there.

79. UKnum1stiff
    12:04 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

Darius Miller is a huge underachiever. 3 yr starter from KY and does NOTHING. As reliable as a 1981 Chevy Citation. Put him next to Saul Smith on most empty minutes played in UK history.

80. Mark Coury
    12:06 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

Hey, what about me?!?!?

81. Mark Coury
    12:08 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

#74) Hey Tim, Bledsoe was a 4 star on Scout. You are the one who looks dumb and I wish to dunk all over your dumb face.

82. Mike
    12:11 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

Wasn’t Liggins a 5 star recruit? I’m not sure but it seems like I remember him being considered a 5 star, at least by some analysts.

83. ksrfan
    12:12 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

Where was Anthony Epps ranked coming out of high school?

84. SanDiegoDave
    12:13 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

79) Yes, I agree that Wall hit a big shot against a nothing team. However, it was a 17 footer. UK players are expected to hit that shot. Hell, even Hood could hit that shot four times out of 10.

85. Nolecat21
    12:14 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

#79, no, we all didn’t say that. What the majority thought was why, did a game against Miami of Ohio, come down to that shot. You expect that kind of play from the number one player in America though.

86. Skinman
    12:14 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

29, I disagree it’s not the point. I don’t see how you can say he underachieved when he had major knee surgery his senior year and didn’t play at all and had one of the best freshman in UK history ahead of him. If he had stayed several years and didn’t pan out, then I could agree that he underachieved. Did Enes underachieve?

87. rc
    12:17 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

I would think a two star who actually contributed to the team would be seen as an overachiever, or at least a push. 2 stars typically have little expected of them, so just by giving 15-20 minutes a game for a season would make them an overachiever.

88. bluesince66
    12:21 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

Randolph Morris was the laziest player to ever wear a Kentucky uniform. Classic underachiever. I got to watch him practice and he was pitiful, of course he worked about as hard as his position coach. For all the BCG bashing which is well deserved Joe Crawford was right behind Morris until BCG lit a fire under him.

89. WHO'SBLU4U
    12:30 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

I think you are spot on! Joe Crapford was exactly where he should be! I only quit calling him that 1/3 of the way through his senior season.

90. bluecat
    12:34 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

Darrin Feldhaus, John Pelhrey, Richie Farmer, Chuck Hayes and Nazr Muhammed are the first five that came to mind for me as over achievers, when you consider their physical abilities, size, where they started from and what they were able to achieve.

Micheal Bradley, Rashaad Carruth, Antwain Barbour, Jared Carter, and J.P Blevins are the first five under achievers that came to mind for me. Again considering their hype coming in, they just never lived up to it.

There are more names that could be added to each of these lists, but these are the guys that came to my mind first. I will reserve judgement on any current player until they are gone. They still have work to be done in their careers and some guys could easily move up or down depending on how they finish their careers.

91. bluecat
    12:44 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

Darren Feldhous, Richie Farmer, John Pelphrey, Chuch Hayes and Nazr Muhammed are the first five over achievers that come to mind for me. Considering their athletic abilities or where they started at physically (in Muhammed’s case) or their size at their position (in Hayes’ case) what they achieved was remarkable. Maybe their career stats don’t blow you away, but they were important pieces on successful UK teams.

Michael Bradley, Antwain Barbour, Rashaard Carruth, J.P. Blevins, and Jared Carter are the first five under achievers that come to mind. Considering the hype they all came in with, they were truly disappointing to me.

Others could easily be added to each list, but that are just the ones that came off the top of my head. I will reserve judgement on our current players until they are finished with their careers. They could easily move up or down depending on what they do with the rest of their time. They still have plenty of work left to do.

92. Robert
    1:02 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

For everyone that complained, Rashad Carruth, Patrick Sparks, Michael Porter, Mark Krebs, and Marquis Estill. That easy.

93. Al's IndiCats
    1:03 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

69, I would have put Sunny Boy Saul Smith on my all take up space while on the floor team. I’m not disputing what he might have been on #10 for assists. But, had there been another coach other than Tubby the only time he would’ve been in Rupp was to watch a game. He couldn’t shoot, couldn’t guard, and for sure couldn’t rebound. I’ll go so far as to say Donna, His mother could guard better than him. He was a waste…..PERIOD!

94. catbalue
    1:08 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

Let’s go back a little further for underachievers.

Richard (Master Blaster) Madison

Roderick Rhodes

LeRon Ellis

95. mashburnmark
    1:22 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

So your saying Morris was a better center at UK than Magloire and Muhammed?

96. bluesince66
    1:45 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

bluecat I have to disagree on Bradley, he only played here one year and led the nation in fg% I’m pretty sure. Didn’t keep up with him after he transferred.

97. mbd
    1:53 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

overachiever list has to include the unforgettables and CHUCK HAYES!!!

98. Kash
    2:23 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

99. Andrew
    4:24 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

Darius Miller is an underachiever for sure. The fact that Billy Clyde went full boar after Darius Miller and gave little effort to Scotty Hopson is shame. He sucks for picking UT and I’ll never be able to root for him because of that but he would have been awesome under Cal. Similar player to Miller just way more willing to be cut throat than Darius. With Deandre or a comparable defender from another team on Miller he would never have the nerve to pull the trigger on fadeway NBA range 3 like Scotty did. Not trying to say Hopson has had a great career either jsut saying him under Cal would have been awesome. I would say Wall and Boogie are pushes because they came in as touted as any player ever that I can remember and they lived up to it but to me that us push had we sailed the ship last year or Final Four then they would have overachieved. Legion is a push, I mean if Jasper gets an injury pass shouldn’t Legion get the coach smushed my girl and my mom is bat shit crazy pass?

100. CatsBalls
    5:14 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

When the word “Overrated” is attached to a picture of Elvis and this image is used as the headline of an article the credibility of the entire article is thrust into the crapper. Sorry for the time and effort that went into writing this article. Even if it was about how to get free BJs and cheeseburgers I wouldn’t read it.

101. bigkyfan10dot2.0
    7:06 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

How does a 3-star who averages 5 points a game a push (Bobby Perry) and a 4-star player who averages 5 points and 6 points(Liggins, Millerp) also gets a push…seems like something needs to give. Don’t get how Orton underachieved considering he never played and still averaged 3 and 3 (which is just a tad worse than Stevenson, also a 4-star, who you have as a push). And speaking of Perry S, how is he a push (4-star, crap for 4-years, benched his
    senior year) and Porter is an underachiever (2-star, crap for 3 years, started his last year as a 2-star at KENTUCKY). Personally I think Porter should be an overachiever and Perry S should definitely be an underachiever, considering he was awful. But my favorite is that you guys (KSR writers) are constantly harping on how Miller isn’t producing at the level you all expected (isn’t that the definition of underachiever) and yet you have him as a push. Make up your mind or get to the nail and BOOM!

102. TRUBLUFOU
    8:43 pm February 10, 2011 Permalink

91,92,94 The artticle said 2002-2009!

103. david ball
    12:36 am February 11, 2011 Permalink

just by the numbers…had Patrick Patterson stayed for his 4th year, he could have become just the second 2000 pts 1000 reb player in UK history behind Issel (just averaging his career numbers in pts and rebs for 30 more games)…heady company…I know, Issel only played 3 seasons, but it would have been nice for PP to have that distinction as being one of two in UK history to reach both of those milestones…he was great for UK…and certainly overachieving (to believe that OJ Mayo played at the same high-school…Tim Floyd must be kicking himself for recruiting the wrong kid)