BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: The Loss You’d Want to Change

You know, when you are a great program like the University of Kentucky, it means that you put yourself in a ton of great game opportunity.  Final Fours, huge regular season clashes, great rivalry games.  But, with the 8 national titles, 481 SEC titles, and too many to remember wins over Louisville, there are also some losses that can’t be forgotten.  It frankly comes with the territory.  Play in big games year in and year, and you will lose a few now and then.  At the end of the day, it is still just a game played by teenagers and people in their early 20’s, so life moves on.  But, it’s also why we can have this post and talk about which losses stung the most.  Which loss or losses you MOST wish UK could take back.  I’ll give you my Top 3 and then you can give yours in the comments sections.  And remember, I am 27 years old, so the losses in the 60’s and 70’s don’t resonate with me like those of the modern era.

1. Marquette 83, Kentucky 69 (2003 Elite 8)

-This loss ranks on the top of my list for a lot of reasons.  I was always a Tubby Smith fan, and this was his best team during his tenure.  And yes, I think that includes his 1998 title team.  Plus, I always wanted this game for Tubby because nobody could make any excuse about why they succeeded.  They were all Tubby guys playing the kind of defense that Tubby craved.  This might have been the most well rounded TEAM Kentucky had seen since 1996.  On defense, they were tenacious, and on offense they shared the ball like coaches dream of at night.  They even were able to say they ran through the entire SEC season undefeated, something no other team can say.

Secondly, Keith Bogans ranks as one of my favorite players in my lifetime.  Loved his scoring ability.  Loved his toughness.  And just hated that UK fans never really loved him, in part because of that horrible junior season, and in part because he never made a Final Four.  That game would have secured Bogans legacy at Kentucky.  He would have been considered in the same breath as Mashburn, or should have been.  Instead, Dewayne Wade decided to have his national coming out party all over UK’s defense, Steve Novak and Jurgens Deiner hit threes from all over the court, and a blowout ensued.  And that’s what really hurt.  It wasn’t a fluke shot (Laettner) or some kind of classic game (2005 Michigan St).  Marquette just flat out trounced the Cats.  It damaged the legacy of Tubby Smith and it damaged the legacy of Keith Bogans.  And for that, it ranks 1st on my list.

2. Arizona 84, Kentucky 79 (1997 National Title Game)

-3 national titles in a row.  A 5-minute overtime period against a 4th seed Arizona was all that stood between UK and the best college basketball feat since the UCLA dynasty of the 1970’s.  Some would argue Derek Anderson would have made the difference in this game.  Who knows?  But I know even without Anderson, Kentucky had the better team.  And if Nazr Mohammed doesn’t go 0-6 from the foul line, they probably still win the game.  UK’s defense struggled to defend Mike Bibby and Miles Simon all night, and fouls caught up with them in overtime, and that was all she wrote.  I think while some considered that to be a major upset, Arizona proved to be quite the team when next season they earned a 1-seed with the same team.  But still, UK was so close to leaving no doubt who the team of the 1990’s was, and this game was the difference.

3. UAB 76, Kentucky 75 (2004 2nd Round)

-This one comes from a personal story.  I had never attended the NCAA Tournament, but for those who forgot, that season UK was slated to go to St.Louis for the Sweet 16 and Elite 8.  They were the overall 1 seed in the tournament, and UAB (or Washington) were not going to be any trouble for a UK team that trounced team after team in February and March that season.  Gerald Fitch, Chuck Hayes, and Erik Daniels were going to finally get Tubby another Final 4 after the disappointment of 2003 (see above).  And then the Squeaky twins or whoever shoot the ball through their legs all night, Fitch plays poorly and misses an open jumper at the buzzer, and that was that.

So, yes I did get to see my first NCAA Tournament games in person that year, but instead of watching the Cats, I watched UAB, Kansas, Georgia Tech, and Nevada battle it out with my friends Paige and David in St.Louis.  Safe to say that one hurt the soul and the wallet a lot.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

75 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: The Loss You’d Want to Change

1. C Mills
    9:06 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

Great list. I’d have to add the elite 8 game versus West Virginia, and the elite 8 game versus Michigan St.
    1. ’97 vs. Arizona
    2. ’10 vs. West Virginia
    3. ’04 vs. UAB
    4. ’03 vs. Marquette
    5. ’05 vs. Michigan St.

2. SW52
    9:08 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

Not sure why the article didn’t note that Bogans was hobbled by a badly sprained ankle in that game that he suffered two days prior in the win over Wisconsin. That, in part, led to Dwayne Wade’s coming out party.

3. Archie Goodwin
    9:08 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

I know this doesnt have anything to do with this post, but can someone, anyone, watch this video and tell me what happened to Archie? His shot looks WAY better and with more arc than it ever did at uk. Did he just hit the freshman wall early and never recover? Im truly baffled.

4. tltaworl
    9:08 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

1. Duke 1992 – For obvious reasons
    2. UCONN 2011 – Harrelson with a championship
    3. WVU 2010 – Cal wins a championship in year #1
    4. UNC 1995 – It was our title to lose

5. JBazz
    9:09 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

The Duke game in ’92 is an obvious choice for many reasons, but I’d also add the West Virginia game in Cal’s first year. We were clearly the best team that year and would’ve won a title if not for that dreadful shooting performance. As much as we all love Wall, Cousins and Patterson, imagine how much higher they’d be thought of if they were champions.

6. Brandon B
    9:09 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

Great article! It stings to think back on some of these, especially that loss to ‘Zona in the 1997 title game. But #1 will ALWAYS be losing to Duke back in ’92. I still hate Laettner….

7. Fire BTI
    9:15 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

good article, bad writer. U suck BTI (butt tickling idiot)

8. bung
    9:15 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

no contest…1966 Rupp’s Runts loss in title game

9. elzeko
    9:22 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

Amen to #2 true reason

10. Shaffer
    9:22 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

For me it would have to be:
    1) WVU Game in Elite 8
    2) Arizona Title Game in 1997
    3) UAB in 2004
    4) UConn in Final Four

I know a lot of people won’t like this, but when the brackets came out in 2003 there was only 1 team I thought had a chance of beating UK and it was Marquette. I could see just how good Wade was at that time and I knew that was the only thing standing in our way of getting back to Final Four. Don’t think even with Bogans healthy we win that one.

11. uk3k_J
    9:22 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

I would have to put that WVU loss up there. They should have been a number one seed over Duke that year, but instead Duke got a cake walk to the title. I don’t remember ever being as devastated in a loss than that one. When John Wall fouled out and I realized hope was gone in that game it was like someone ran over my dog while setting my house on fire. That Bogans ankle game has to be up there for me too. I wasn’t alive in the 60’s and 70’s so I can’t imagine those games.

12. JR
    9:24 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

The 3 in Each era you want to take back

The 90s

92-Duke

95-UNC

97-Arizona

THE 00s

03-Marquette

04-UAB

01-USC

The 2010s

10-WVU

11- UCONN

12-IU (just because of popcorn sake)

13. Catsantonio
    9:24 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

#2 – there was only 1 jumper in the whole video, not even sure it was Archie, the rest were lay ups and dunks over people too slow or short to stop him

14. elzeko
    9:25 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

Great comment #7,loved the
    BTI (butt tickling idiot)

15. Ryne
    9:26 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

I know the games in the tourney always hurt us UK fans, but my top three have to be
    1. Gardner Webb
    2.VMI
    3.Robert Morris
    Those are no excuses for those losses…

16. Just saying
    9:26 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

Bogans ad a high ankle sprain, the kind that takes most players out for 6-10 weeks. Bogans played in that game 2 days after the injury, when the swelling was likely at its very worst. I watched that game and hurt for him seeing him trying o run. No loss of respect for Bogans from me.

17. Rockfield, KY

1997 Arizona

19. Ryne
    9:30 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

*There for #15 for all you gramatical people

20. Well...
    9:34 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

11) Duke got a cake walk to the title? Didn’t they destroy that same WVa team that beat Wall & Co.? Wouldn’t call that a cake walk, sir.

21. Cal era
    9:36 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

I think alot of people overlook the uconn game during Brandon knights tenure. We had an improbable run and if we’d only beaten kemba, we would have taken home the title.

22. I'm Over 50
    9:38 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

The loss that hurts me the most is the 1975 championship game against UCLA. We were the better team, Kevin Grevey was my hero and I hate UCLA. If we win, then overall titles is UCLA 10 & UK 9.

23. Mike Ranney
    9:40 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

Uk-Arizona 1997. Because i was there and it would be history in the making for UK. 3 championships in a row.

1966 Rupp’s Runts. Broke my heart my senior year of High School.

1993 UK-Michigan. Mashburn’s championship. He deserved it.

24. Seattle Tears
    9:40 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

The 1984 Georgetown loss still stings. We were playing great and had already beat Houston that year and started missing shots in the middle of the first half and ended up with that deer in the headlights look. A great team that should have won Joe B his second title.

25. David
    9:41 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

Losses I’d like to change:

1) 1975 UCLA vs UK. We would have 9 and UCLA would have 10.
    2) 1997 UK vs Arizona. UK wins back to back titles and maybe then gets the rare threepeat in 98
    3) 1992 UK vs Duke. Duke’s history is literally rewritten if UK wins that game.
    4) 1966 UK Vs Tx Western. A fifth title for Rupp.
    5) 2011 UK vs UConn. Would it have been back to back for UK? Quite possily.

26. Poosey Ridge Runner
    9:42 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

1986 vs LSU in NCAAT E8 – First loss that made me cry (I was 9). 4th time UK had played LSU that season, won 3, lost 1…..still despise Ricky Blanton to this day.

1984 vs Georgetown in NCAAT F4

1993 vs Michigan in NCAAT F4

2004 vs UAB
    2003 vs Marquette
    1992 vs Duke (obvious choice)

27. mike
    9:44 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

[Robert Morris]

28. asdf
    9:45 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

I’ll go back to 1975. UK vs. UCLA for the National Championship. John Wooden’s last game. We should have won, but the refs made sure Wooden went out on top in one of the most blatantly stolen games ever.

29. Wild Blue
    9:53 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

For those of us not in our 20’s here is my top five + 1.
    1. Texas Western 1966…Another championship possibility and the media made Rupp and UK racists from this game.
    2. Louisville 1983….a final four berth plus the first Dream Game.
    3. Duke 1992..no explanation needed!!!
    4. UCLA 1975…championship opportunity and the chance to send Wooden into retirement with a loss.
    5. LSU 1986…final four at stake after beating them three times during the season.
    Marquette in 2003…overall # 1 seed and AP #1—should have won it all with that team.
    Oh how many more banners we could have hanging in Rupp Arena!

30. Ryne
    9:58 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

#20
    Did you forget about the WV love affair moment in their Duke game when Coach Huggy was craddling the best player that went down early in the game, his name has escaped my memory because he killed us. Once he went down WV was done, they didn’t have a point gaurd. In case you forgot WV never made a 2 pt shot in the first half, and we were like 1-20 from 3. It was just one of those games. Still to this day I wonder why we didn’t press the whole WV game with no point gaurd. We would have gotten the game up and down making it hard for them to set up that 1-3-1 zone

31. Matt
    10:04 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

32. KurtNMia
    10:07 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

1. 1997 Arizona
    2. 1992 Duke
    3. 2010 WVU
    4. 2011 UCONN
    5. 2003 Marquette

33. jumpman78
    10:10 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

30. It wasn’t their point guard that went down. Da Sean Butler got injured. Joe Mazzula was their PG, he killed us, yes, but did not get hurt against Duke. And to add my two cents I’d have to say UK-Michigan 93 hurt me the most. Didn’t like the Fab Five and that mysterious “push” by Mashburn in overtime cost us that game, not to mention Dale Browns injury. He was balling hard that game.

34. Joe
    10:14 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

Great article.

35. MamphisCat
    10:15 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

Duke Loss in 92
    G-town in 84
    WVU loss in 10

Wins in these games add Championships for UK.

36. Clank
    10:17 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

Duke 92. Duh.

Arizona 97. Immortality awaited.

2010 WVU. 4-32 3s, 13 missed FTs. Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, 2Pat, Miller choked. At least Miller redeemed himself 2 yrs later. Cupcake Final 4 teams awaited.

2011 Uconn. Knight 6-23. Liggins & Miller blew. To be fair, this was a 6 player team that overachieved w/ the OSU & UNC Ws. However, once they hit the Final 4 (probably the weakest in my lifetime, 30+ yrs), they faced the same limitations as Uconn. Just didn’t execute.

1993 Michigan. Monster Mash brought it, but foul out cost in the end vs Fab 5.

UAB game doesn’t bother me as that team’s greatness diminished overtime with lack of star quality. Marquette game marred by Bogan’s gimpy ankle but no shame in losing to Wade.

37. dusty380
    10:18 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

These 3 put us at 11 and UCLA at 10…..so they are EASY picks

1975 UCLA
    1997 Arizona
    1966 Texas Western

Win these 7 and we are more-than-likely at 15+ titles…

1992 Duke
    2010 WVU
    1983 Louisville
    2011 UConn
    2003 Marquette
    1993 Michigan
    1986 LSU

Hurts to thinks about….

38. dshwildcats
    10:19 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

It’s hard to narrow it down to just a few. But, here goes!

(#1)1983 Mideast Regional Final vs Louisville. The original “Dream Game” in Knoxville was tough to take. I had grown up a Kentucky fan in Louisville, and Card fans had talked a lot of trash in the years leading up to this game about how they were the better program. Of course, in the years since that game, Kentucky has definitely proved it was/is the superior program.

(#2)1975 National Championship Game vs UCLA. Wooden announces his retirement after the National Semifinal Game vs Louisville, and that pretty much decided it. Playing in San Diego, in Wooden’s last game, Kentucky didn’t get too many breaks against the Bruins that Monday night.

(#3) 1992 East Regional Final vs Duke. Enough about that!

(#4) 1977 East Regional Final vs North Carolina. Dean Smith plays “coward ball” (aka the Four Corners) against the Cats down the stretch, and goes on to the Final Four. In the era of the shot clock, Kentucky wins that game.

(#5) 1986 Southeast Regional Final vs LSU. After having to face Alabama a fourth time the game before, Kentucky gets LSU for a fourth time in the regional final. It’s hard enough to beat a team three times in a year. Four times is absolutely unheard of!! IMO, Kentucky was the best team that year (they had already defeated Louisville earlier in the year). The deck was just stacked against them in the NCAA Tournament.

39. shawn
    10:20 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

These are the 3 games with the most dramatic and historical significance:
    1. UK vs Duke in 92(Lost at the buzzer,greatest game ever played)
    2. UK vs Arizona in 97(UK would have won 3 championships in a row)
    3. UK vs Texas Western in 66(UK was a huge favorite,unfairly tainted Adolph Rupp’s legacy)

40. J
    10:24 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

17) is spot on.

41. carolinacatfan
    10:28 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

Has to be the Marquette game, if going by the ones on that list. I think we were on our way to the title if we got through to the FF.

2010 WVU would be my #1 and 1992 Duke a VERY CLOSE number two… Only reason it is #2 is we still probably would not have won it all… But that said, if I didn’t have to watch the final play two hundred thousand times a year, especially in March… that would perfect.

42. 2020
    10:30 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

The ’83 Dream Game stung badly… 24 years of Cardinal angst and insults built up and unleashed on BBN after that game. The win helped propel UL to vie for Team of the ’80’s title with 2 titles and 4 Final Fours, and put them on the map as a Top 10 all-time program. Little brother no more.

43. jimlowe7
    10:34 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

1975 National Championship game – if we had won we would have 9 titles now and UCLA only 10. All the other games listed here were significant, but this is the one that would most impact the all-time legacies of our two schools.

44. Han
    11:08 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

I hate UAB and Marquette because of how I remember them under Tubby.

Anyway, those 3 of yours plus ’92, of course, and ’05 vs MSU. Also ’94/95. We had a pseudo-dynasty in 96-98 with 3 title games and 2 rings, but we were close to the final 4 the year before. That one hurt.

Obviously changing those losses, especially the ones under Tubby, would dramatically change our history, and I wouldn’t want to give up what we have with Cal right now, but we’ve had so many years that ended oh so close to Final Fours/championship runs. If Pitino had resisted the urge to go to Boston/the NBA, we could have 10+ titles, too.

Also, we’ve been haunted by that UAB loss and the magic of twin telepathy for so long. Finally have some twins of our own.

45. Trey
    11:18 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

Why doesn’t UK wear uniforms a la Gerald in the above picture? I like these–they’re sleek, modest, and look nice. I don’t like the current uni’s.

46. MADARCHITECT
    11:37 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

Georgetown

St. Johns

47. Bluebloodtoo
    11:40 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

The 2011 final four loss to Uconn. I really wanted those boys to cut the nets down. They worked so hard and exceeded everyone’s expectations. I felt so bad for the players after that loss.

48. UKBlue1!
    11:41 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

My list are in order by year and all include losses in the elite 8,final 4 or championship
    1975 loss to UCLA
    1982 loss to UL
    1984 loss to G’town…still can’t figure out what happened?
    1986 loss to LSU
    1992 loss to Duke
    1995 loss to UNC
    1997 loss to Arizona
    1999 loss to MSU
    2003 loss to Marq
    2005 loss to MSU
    2010 loss to WVU

Sprinkle in about 2-3 wins and we are 10-15 years closer to catching UCLA.

49. don
    11:48 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

’66’75’97-killers all three

50. barn
    12:35 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

i wish dook would have won the ’66 semi final game then maybe their coach would have become the ‘evil whit racist’ instead

51. fatkidineastky
    12:45 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

No particular order
    * GOT ROBBED in the 1975 loss to UCLA
    * took Quick shots and did not pass aroound he basket 1984 loss to Ewing’s Georgetown
    * WHY OH WHY! 1992 loss to Duke
    * This would have been back -2-back if not having such physical game against Clem Haskins Minnesota the game before -1997 loss to Arizona
    ***2003 loss to Marquette was soley because Bogans was injured and required help defense which freed up the three pointer WHICH SLAYED US!

52. TnCat
    12:53 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

UK didn’t play in this game but if I could change the outcome of one game ever, I would make the last shot of the Duke Vs. Butler NC fall and forever become the Lattiner Eraser and greatest buzzer beater in the history of college basketball… Let duke have to watch that every march for the next 20 years…

53. KP
    1:41 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Huh? That Marquette loss wouldn’t rank in my top 20
    1. Arizona 97′
    2. Georgetown 84
    3. UCLA 75′
    4. UNC 95′
    5. Michigan 93′
    6. WVU 2010
    7.UCONN 2011
    8. UAB 2004′

54. tltaworl
    1:47 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Now for the top 5 that we could have easily lost, but didn’t:

1. 2011 – Ohio St. (Knight Shot)
    2. 1998 – Duke, Utah or Stanford (So many key plays)
    3. 2010 – Miss St. (SECT)(Cousins Tip)
    4. 2012 – UNC (Davis Block)
    5. 2005 – UofL (Sparks freethrows)

55. tltaworl

7. UNC ’95
    8. Duke ’92
    9. Gtown ’84
    10. UCLA ’75

56. tltaworl
    1:52 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

45. Because Tubby didn’t change the uniforms for like a decade. I expect a uniform change since we have had these for 4 years.

57. Seriously
    2:40 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

1. Duke ’92
    2. Duke ’92
    3. Duke ’92
    4. Duke ’92
    5. Duke ’92
    6. Duke ’92

100000000000. Duke ’92

That game is not only one of the most heartbreaking defeats in the history of UK basketball, but what put’s it over the top is that 50 years from now they will still be showing that Lattener shot every commercial break during March Madness.

58. Bunny
    3:00 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Not a bad article for an intern – actually a good one. We just might have to keep you around…

59. Vince
    3:00 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Same story as you on that UAB game – I also was in Saint Louis that cold dreary March weekend and our Cats weren’t even there! That Kansas – Georgia Tech OT Elite 8 game was fantastic though.

60. JerryC
    4:12 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

I have to agree with #8 and #17. If we win the ’66 Championship, We probably don’t have to put up with the idiots who holler “racist” every time they hear Coach Rupp or UK mentioned.
    #25’s list is right on. For anyone who knows ALL of UK’s history, the loss to UCLA in ’75 hurt… It hurt bad.

61. JerryC
    4:13 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

I said #25. I meant # 29.

62. GrumpyOldDude
    4:43 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

So many good suggestions in these comments, but I am pretty shocked no one I saw mentioned losing to Middle Tennessee State in the 1982 NCAA tourney first round….that was on a par with Robt Morris to me.

63. CStewey
    6:03 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

12 years old and the only loss I’ve ever cried over…’83 l’ville game. ’81 UAB and ’82 MiddTennSt were bad too

64. AL Simerz
    6:16 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

#2 SW52, that’s my recollection as well. Bogan’s hurt his foot against WISCONSIN and was rendered ineffetive versus Maequette. I liked Bogans. But if he was my favorite, would I have forgotten that?

65. Rickey Martin
    8:25 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Texas Western. Rupp’s Runts

66. A. Rupp
    8:26 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

1966 Title Game.
    We win that one and we are not the Racist White Team.

67. Tipton
    8:27 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Actually I would choose to lose the 1966 semi final against Duke. Then they could be villan in the 66 title game when they would lose to Texas western

68. Lisa
    8:34 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

If I had to only pick one, it would have to be 92 Duke. It felt like more than the loss of a basketball game. We thought we had won the game. To go from complete jubilation to utter devastation in a few seconds was awful.

69. FurdTurgason
    8:34 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

75 UCLA for logical reasons (gap in national titles would be 10-9 instead of 11-8).
    83 Louisville for emotional reasons

70. Calipartytime
    8:42 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

#3 you must have posted wrong video as there were only 2 jumpers

’92 Duke
    ’97 Arizona
    ’10 West Virginia(made for a loooong car ride back to Ky)
    ’66 Texas Western
    ’03 Marquette

Honorable Mentions
    ’12 Indiana (no rings for Hoosiers)
    Gardner Webb
    Robert Morris

71. Pete W
    8:44 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

I would actually change a win to a loss. Change the 1966 final four win over Duke to a loss.
    Then they would have been the all white team losing to Texas Western and vilified for decades.
    I would do that rather than title game, Texas Western needed to win to change the way of thinking in the south.

72. JTurn4
    9:03 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

I’m only 20 so I’ll go with my era and ones I can actually remember.
    1. ’11 UCONN- closest we were to a championship
    2. ’10 WVU- team easily good enough to win title
    3. ’03 Marquette- best team in country ran up against D-Wade
    4. ’04 UAB- great team and embarrassment factor
    5. ’05 Mich St.- heartbreaking but would’ve had tough time winning it all

73. UKgets#9nextyear
    9:33 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

WVU in 2010. Best UK team to not make a final four. Maybe best team to ever not make it. Still hurts tothis day. Loved that team!!!

74. jlove
    11:38 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

The 03 team played some of the most beautiful basketball in the history of the sport. The fact that they had to play Marquette in Minneapolis with Bogans hurt still bothers me to this day. To make matters worse, Crean was coaching Marquette and their entire team couldn’t miss a shot. Kentucky wins that game 99 times out of a 100 on a neutral court with a healthy Bogans. Ugh. I get sick just thinking about it, especially after team turmoil the previous year. If they had beat Marquette, Kentucky would have destroyed Kansas and then Syracuse. It wouldn’t have even been close. Dwayne Wade. Stinking Dwayne Wade.

75. Dylan Burke