BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Should a Grown Man Want a Autograph?

For those of you who don’t know, I work in the radio business in Louisville, and over the last couple days a hot topic on both sports radio and other talk radio has the been Charlie Strong’s decision to eliminate the autograph session portion of the fan day in the wake of the Johnny Manziel scandal, as well as some reports that Teddy Bridgewater autographed material was available.  Bridgewater has since been cleared but Strong is arguing the risks of having an autograph session is too great and he chose to eliminate that portion of the day for the fans.  Let’s address a couple things real quickly:

1. THIS IS SO DUMB.

2. It’s beyond stupid because the ONLY way you get in trouble with the NCAA is if your players get paid for their autograph.  I strongly doubt any of your players are going to be paid at an autograph session RUN BY YOUR SCHOOL!  I understand many of you don’t follow UL like those of us that live in this city, but Charlie Strong is notorious for vast overreactions to this and that and everything else.  And this is probably his gold standard for a ridiculous decision.

3. You are robbing children of probably their only chance for a face to face meeting and/or autograph with the players, who if you haven’t figured this out, are role models.

Now that I have that off my chest, I want you to closely look at point #3.  In that point, I clearly state that eliminating the autograph session is robbing CHILDREN of that opportunity.  But what about adults?  I gotta admit, I don’t understand wanting a person’s signature.  Give me a picture or memorabilia over somebody’s name any day of the week.  And even those things have to be for only my favorite athletes.  But, I understand some people love collecting those things like I collected baseball cards as a kid.

But what about the autographs for adults?  I don’t understand it.  First of all, many adults are trying to immediately place these autographs on Ebay and other sites to try and make a profit.  Seriously, get a life.  But hey, it’s capitalism, so be it.  But for those adults who get the autographs to actually keep for themselves, I need an explanation.  I don’t understand what a person’s name on a piece of paper means to you.  It has always baffled me, along with many other things as you know.

So, in the comments section I want you to discuss and answer 2 questions for me:

1) Do you agree it is ridiculous for UL to eliminate it’s autograph session part of Fan Day?

2) What is the benefit, as an adult, to having another grown man/woman’s autograph?  Where is the appeal?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

48 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Should a Grown Man Want a Autograph?

1. really?
    9:05 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

Should a grown man pay money to watch another grown man play sports? This is a ridiculous question, its part of the game and people will always want autographs

2. nothing wrong
    9:06 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

I hate UofL like the most of us but lets not make it seem like they are robbing people and its the worst thing in the world. And its normal for grown people to want an autograph? Just because they are older doesn’t mean they are any more/less of a passionate fan.

3. Bluegrass
    9:09 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

I like autographs because they are more personable in nature. Not every athlete will stop and pose for a picture with you (preferred) but they are more likely to sign something real quick. To me, when someone looks at my collection of memorabilia it seems to be nice to be able to say “yeah John Wall signed that for me”. It just adds more of a personal touch to items since that person actually held the said object and personalized it. But hey, to each their own.

4. adam
    9:10 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

1. Yes

2. I have an awesome UK ball autographed by Joe B, Rick, Tubby, and Cal. It’s a piece of my UK history and reminds me of the times when I met those individuals. I also have a Rex Chapman autograph from when I met him in ’86 at Rough River, as a 7 year old, and a Muhammad Ali autograph on a ticket that my dad got in the 70’s. What isn’t appealing about those items?

5. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    9:11 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

BTI- Can I have your autograph? I’ve always wanted to have the signature of KSR’s worst writer for my collection.

6. Bluegrass
    9:12 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

#1 completely agree with you.

1. Should a grown man pay an arm and a leg to see (and sometimes travel to see) teenagers run around on the court?

2. Should a grown man be happy after a win or bummed after a loss of a game played by teenagers?

3. Should a grown man get misty eyed when the teenagers win a trophy?

7. Capitalism
    9:13 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

This is NOT signed: http://bit.ly/14KPbF1

8. Rei
    9:13 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

I wonder if anyone could understand Chawlie when he said they would cancel that session?

9. firesign
    9:15 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

Adults getting auto’s = creepy… Players should be greeted by adults with a handshake…a thank-you… good luck…
    UofL has handled this like they have a guilty conscience.

10. Jay
    9:17 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

I’ve had makers mark bottles signed at keeneland. Also had Davis sign his wingspan poster and a makers mark championship bottle at the mall. I guess I’m creepy.

11. Drunk Swanson
    9:17 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

1. Yes
    2. I like autographs, always have, I’m close to 30 years old. I’m not sure I will ask for any more autographs now, but even just a few years ago when BBall was on the rise again in Lex it was just awesome to see those guys face to face, but I waited until they had graduated or gone pro and PAID them for it. I believe they deserved to be paid and thanked for what they were doing for my university and frankly city. I think older people who stalk them waiting outside Coal lodge and ask them is worse. But I have basketball that is personalized to ME with autographs of like 10 first round draft picks and I didn’t even have to leave Lexington, how freaking cool is that? I also have a Randall Cobb autographed Jersey, I will hang it in my office or man cave or whatever. I’m probably done collecting them, but I can see the value and interest, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I went and got Julius Randle this year etc, but I would be paying after they were done at UK.

12. UKwildcat_fanatic
    9:17 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

The article lost creditability when you started off the post with “… a Autograph”. I would assume those that write for a living should have a better handle on the English language. You suck BTI!

13. Drunk Swanson
    9:18 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

Oh and the worst is complaining about paying for it, give me a break.

14. huntin chickens
    9:24 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

why do you care what other peoples motives are. they like getting them and the kids like signing stuff. win-win. relax.

15. UK
    9:27 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

Having just a signature on a piece of paper maybe not. But most people get memorabilia signed which is perfectly OK. It adds value for that person.

16. UK all the way
    9:28 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

Don’t care what Loserville does!
    Could care less!
    Give us reports on our UK football team

17. tlhoag65
    9:28 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

As a HUGE UK football fan, I try to get a media guide each year and have as many players as possible sign it. I keep them for myself and never plan on selling them. However it is a momento that I can look back and remember the small interaction I had with the player as I follow his career at UK and then in the NFL if he is so lucky!

18. CPACAT
    9:30 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

1) Couldn’t care less about anything UL does
    2) Why any grown person would approach another person and ask them to sign something is beyond pathetic. They don’t ask for mine, why the hell do I want theirs?

19. BBN Gary Oldman
    9:33 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

A lot of people collect autographed balls, posters, etc. I don’t really see a problem with it. I’ve went to every BBM campout for the last few years and I think having the chance to meet the players makes you feel like you have some part in the program at least. Makes it a little more personal

20. cracka
    9:37 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

12 – isn’t that the truth? unbelievable …

21. MJB436
    9:39 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

As a young child I remember staying after games in Rupp waiting for the players to get done showering and finally walk out from the locker room to hopefully get them to sign anything – napkin, “3 sign”, program, anything. Now that I am 30 I really enjoy any opportunity I get to obtain an autograph on something like a basketball or poster as it reminds me of my childhood and makes for a great addition to my UK themed man-cave. I will not wait after games outside the locker room, but should I happen to know someone will be somewhere and its not ackward to get an autograph, I am all about it. I just got Cotton Nash to sign a basketball a few months ago – maybe my favorite item in my man-cave.

22. Bluegrass
    9:40 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

Why do we have all of our classmates sign our yearbook?
    Why do we have people sign our cast on our broken arm?
    Why do we have everyone pass around and sign a card?
    Why do we have everyone sign in on a sheet at an event?

Because it’s more personable and a nice memento.

23. _Blackhawk_
    9:40 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

1) Yes it is silly to eliminate the autograph by the players. Teddy is the only one that autograph hounds are after to sell….separate him and keep an eye on what’s going on but at the end of the day a fan day is not a place to autograph sellers are going to try and make a deal with players. They are going to have tons of people sign for them which is easier than paying the player to begin with.

2) I understand adults wanting to get signatures in hopes to make a buck but if they don’t, it’s odd. Pictures with the athlete mean more because they are personal. Anyone can buy a signature these days. Our boys enjoy their pictures with former players far more than the signatures. It validates they were there……the other doesn’t.

24. Al/in/Indy
    9:41 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

I have a UK basketball with Cal’s, Kantor’s, Miller’s, Liggin’s, autograph under a glass box. It sits on a shelf behind my bar and I love it when my IU friends see it because all they have is a tweet that Crean is thinking about them…..REALLY thinking about them!

25. Cat Fan in Georgia
    9:44 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

12 – If we’re getting picky here, it’s “credibility”. “Credible” means “believable” while “creditable” means “deserving of praise”

26. StuckAtWork
    9:55 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

When I go to BBM I hope to get some autographs but not for me. I want them for my sons who can’t be there because of school.

27. Scott Baio
    9:57 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

In my opinion it depends on the scenario. If adults are swarming athletes a game and pushing kids out of the way, or at a fan day where the meet and greats are more designed for kids and families; then yes I think it is strange for a grown man to be in those lines. But at events designed for adults like (makers mark signings) or just a random encounter with an athlete it’s not a big deal at all.
    BTI, I have a similar gripe about grown men wearing jerseys. Unless its your name or your son/daughter names on the back, grown men shouldn’t be wearing a jersey.

28. truBLU
    10:00 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

Should a grown man start a long article with a headline that includes “want a autograph”? Ridiculous.

29. J in Orlando
    10:05 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

UL had to cancel autograph sessions…they couldnt get Teddy B. to stop billing everyone after he signed

30. RICK
    10:05 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

How stupid is this article, i dont give a crap what Charlie Strong does at l-ville and just because we are grown men and women doesnt mean we have lost the love of the game the excitment of the game and we don,t stop being fans just because we are getting older.You get the autographs for your kids or grand kids or for yourself. Better Question for you is WHY WOULD WE STILL READ YOUR ARTICLE WHEN WE GROW UP?

31. come on
    10:22 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

Anyone regardless of age., who’s ability and actions gain anothers respect, adimiration and inspiration shares part of those qualities with the autograph seeker. Raises us up. I haven’t asked for a politicians autograph since 1962.

32. SafetyFirst
    10:27 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

I think it’s always a wise decision to keep UL players away from small children even though they have promised not to carry weapons, and hit women. STRONG.

33. Tom Crean
    10:28 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

#21) I don’t wait for the players to get done showering to ask for an autograph.

34. tom
    10:37 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

I would speculate that Strong truly believes his Cards have a legitimate chance to go undefeated this year and appear in the NC game…so he is taking NO chances whatsoever…on anything. He’s already had a close call with the Bridgwater thing.

35. This is awkward...
    10:59 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

@34 – Of course Louisville has a chance to go undefeated! They have, by far, the easiest schedule in the country among top 25 teams for the second year in a row. They should have been undefeated last year but they lost to weaker teams. I don’t see this year being any different!

36. MADARCHITECT
    11:18 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

An

37. jack
    11:26 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

No, I think it is totally pathetic for an adult to ask anyone for an autograph, especially a high school or college kid. I’ve met a couple really famous people in my lifetime and both times I just hung out with them and treated them like I would anyone else, and I think they appreciated it. It really makes me mad to see famous people getting hounded by autograph seekers out in public; you should have enough respect for both yourself and the famous person to not embarrass yourself and bother the famous person for his/her signature.

38. jimbob
    11:41 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

UL holds autograph sessions: “So corrupt.”
    UL cancels autograph sessions: “Think of the children! Such an overreaction!”
    UL does anything at all : “We better post something about it to KSR quick!”

39. Shoebox Johnson
    12:18 pm August 15, 2013 Permalink

Hey…

NCAA Bylaw 12.5.2.2 “Use of a Student-Athlete’s Name or Picture Without Knowledge or Permission” states, “If a student-athlete’s name or picture appears on commercial items (e.g., T-shirts, sweatshirts, serving trays, playing cards, posters) or is used to promote a commercial product sold by an individual or agency without the student-athlete’s knowledge or permission, the student-athlete (or the institution acting on behalf of the student-athlete) is required to take steps to stop such an activity in order to retain his or her eligibility for intercollegiate athletics.”

40. BTI is a dummy
    12:30 pm August 15, 2013 Permalink

BTI- shouldn’t it be… “Should a grown man want AN autograph?”

41. Auto
    1:06 pm August 15, 2013 Permalink

Looks like around 70-80% agree that there’s nothing wrong with ANYONE getting an autograph. I agree with them. BTI, you sure do bring up some strange topics and views.

42. PlanoCat
    1:08 pm August 15, 2013 Permalink

Ain’t none of y’all ever seen Pawn Stars, in 20 or 30 years you can take it to Vegas and have Rick argue if the signature is real, and then give you half price of what is worth!!

43. yep
    1:35 pm August 15, 2013 Permalink

I think BTI should have been a little more specific. As an adult I would have a have an autographed ball, jersey, etc. A piece of paper? Don’t need it. I would never travel or stand in a line to get an autograph (unless it was for a kid), but then again i’m not the type that is awestruck by athletes, celebs, etc. Met two of the 78 team outside a bar one time and it was like meeting anyone else. Spoke to them, shook their hand, and went on my way.

By the way, anyone that thinks BTI is the worst writer, knows nothing about writing. BTI, ask questions and writes things that will illicit a response. A lot of his post have had more research time than the other writers combined. I don’t always agree with BTI, but appreciate his contributions. KSR is more interesting with BTI part of the team.

44. spookykim
    1:47 pm August 15, 2013 Permalink

#43 yep sucks. 🙂

45. Rick in TX
    2:33 pm August 15, 2013 Permalink

I don’t have a lot of autographs, but the ones I do have are of people I consider the top of the top. For example, I have a hat from a seniors golf tournament that has the autographs of Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, and Gary Player. I wouldn’t give that hat up for any amount of money. It is mine and it proves that I was actually in the company of all three of those men on the same morning.

46. dave
    4:09 pm August 15, 2013 Permalink

I’ve got a Rondo auto’d basketball, a Sparks auto’d ball, an Issel auto’d basketball, a Tubby auto’d SI Champ magazine, a Pitino auto’d Maker’s Mark bottle, a friend got a BCG auto’d recruiting mag (which is funny now), Clif Hawkin’s auto’d SI with him on the cover, Tayshaun Prince auto’d yearbook (he’s on the cover) and a Cliff Hawkins auto’d Jersey.

But the coolest deal I have is the Conley UK Print from the 80’s signed by Mel, Sky and Bowie.

Some of it I was there for the sig. Some were taken to signings by friends or an ex-girlfriend from long ago. I always figured that if I ever settle down and stop traveling, I’d put it up in a sports room or in a bar.

I, also, have a couple of Rupp signed items. He passed when I was 7 years old. I bought it from an autograph store. I’ll have it framed with some other Rupp memorabilia that I own.

I’ve tried a few times to get Calipari to sign things at games but that never seems to work out. Figure it would go well with the collection. Cal has done some cool things at UK and I’ve been fortunate enough to attend a practice at the Craft Center but that is one elusive dude when it comes to an autograph. At least for me…lol

I don’t see the big deal. Though, I feel goofy asking a kid for an autograph, I’ll suck it up sometimes for certain things. LIke Davis and the wingspan photo. Hell, I’d pay for that and then frame it nicely.

47. Bunny
    5:37 pm August 15, 2013 Permalink

Have to agree with you, BTI… Good post!

48. CaptainDonkyNuts