BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Redefining Expectations

The amazing shifts that you go through during a season are what makes college basketball exciting.  And knowing what a crazy tournament it can be come March adds to that excitement, as you know your team only has to be “so” good to make a run.  Butler certainly was not one of the 4 best teams, much less the 10 best teams in the country last year, but they had “enough” to make a run.  Throughout this season, we have certainly had ups and downs, and our expectations for this team have shifted greatly.  For instance:

Preseason (Ranked #8): SEC title, Sweet 16, Elite 8 with luck
After Maui (Ranked #11): SEC title, Sweet 16-Elite 8, Maybe Final 4 with luck
After UNC loss (Ranked #16): Likely SEC title, No better than Sweet 16
After UL win (Ranked #11): SEC title, Sweet 16 or Elite 8
After Alabama loss (Ranked #13): Maybe SEC title, Sweet 16
After Ole Miss loss (Ranked #11): Hoping for SEC Tourney Bye, 2nd round maybe Sweet 16

It has certainly been an up and down season, but as you can see we are certainly headed in the wrong direction for the expectations department over the last couple weeks.  And with several difficult games left on the schedule, the season could certainly get worse, or the Cats could surprise us and jolt our expectations back up.

I will say that in the preseason, I thought this was an Elite 8 team, but a Sweet 16 was the worst that I would have accepted.  Holding those same expectations, what would it take for this team to please me:

-Not losing a home game the rest of the year (Florida, Tennessee, Vandy, South Carolina, Mississippi State)
-Going 1-2 at worst against 3 SEC teams on the road
-Beating Arkansas on the road
-No loss over 10 points
-Sweet 16 with no loss to worse seeded team

Certainly, it’s impossible to be as positive about this team as we were on New Year’s Eve.  It seems the team has hit a brick wall and stopped improving.  But, those thinking this team is at threat to miss the tournament or are first round losers are just insane, in my opinion.  This team still has Top 10 talent, but Bottom 10 toughness.  This will likely prevent them from any type of deep run, but to ignore the talent on the floor, and the fact that no first round opponent will have more than Kentucky is absurd.  Upsets happen, so I will not guarantee (cough cough Georgia) they will not get beat in the first round, but people who are PREDICTING that are not looking at the situation rationally.

So, what are you expectations for this team now, and what do the Cats have to do to reach those expectations to make you happy at the end of the season?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

83 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Redefining Expectations

1. Therye
    10:06 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

We play to win the game.

2. so what
    10:06 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

to bring the talent back for next year and have a SUPER-TEAM!

3. Al's IndiCats
    10:07 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

A-MEN #2…..But our inside game is still going to suffer

4. bud
    10:12 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

This post is retarded even when translated in Espanol.

5. Raazoul
    10:12 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

I expect that BTI will never have a career in writing except for KSR….only has that job cuz the site needs someone that everyone loves to hate! All UK fans expect to win every game douchebag, that’s why we are the best fans, you wouldn’t understand intern….

6. Owensborocatfan
    10:14 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

I still think with the right match-ups come tournament time we have the ability to make a run.. This team will go as far as Miller will take them… When he provides another scoring option we are a very tough out.. I still think we could possibly reach the final four.. However, if we dont have a buy in the SEC tournament I do not see how we can win that with only playing 6 players. WE do not have enough depth to play that many games in that many days

7. Bryan the Intern
    10:14 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

5) You expected the football team to beat Florida at Florida last year?

8. Wiley
    10:17 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

7) BTI what we do expect is for you to jump off a cliff

9. dhighdrated
    10:19 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

bottom 10 toughness. lol. billy G would have said some ish like that

10. Sweet Wm
    10:21 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Its the Gillispie curse.

11. claw
    10:21 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

My expectations for this team are as they always are for every year’s team: to win the national championship. Going far in the tournament is just not good enough. Strange things can happen in the tourney and I will not give up hope until that last loss. Really though, I just want this season to be over so it’ll be closer to Christmas. I like Santa.

12. chad
    10:21 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

To expect us to struggle to get out of the second round is silly. While it may very well happen to worry about that is illrelevent

13. Bryan the Intern
    10:21 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

8 ) I think you are taking the post a little too seriously.

14. mudcat
    10:21 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

I agree with the post. I am nervous we may get exposed badly Saturday. We haven’t showed we can play tough for a full 40 minutes and we have to in Gainesville or it may get ugly fast. I want to win and expect to… I just have my doubts at the moment. My expectations right now are Sweet 16 and possible SEC title. I will take 2-2 for the rest of the road games.

15. knightynight
    10:24 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

we are fine…sort of. Deep run is def not out of the question. Harrelson peaks again around tourney time along with Miller and Liggs. Final Four baby!

16. Humphrey Togart
    10:25 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Great article by the way. I believe that cats are doing a fine job considering the unfortunate (and downright unjust) Enes ruling. We do not have any depth, and teams in this situation are doomed when foul trouble comes in to play. The disappointing parts of this team, to me, are Eloy Vargas and Jon Hood. Seeing them play at the same time is just like the first time I saw Blair Witch Project. I feel like, “What is going to happen next?” And I find myself saying “UH-OH, and NO, NO, NO!!!”
    On a different note, I love our three freshman stars and I love the way that Liggins and Jorts have developed into very good basketball players. If Miller keeps working, and this team stays out of trouble come clutch time … I see no issue with an Elite Eight and maybe Final Four run. Go Cats!!

17. chad
    10:26 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

we will win saturday. miller has a monster game as does knight, lamb, and jones. liggins will be back to his shutdown self and harrelson grabs 10+ rebounds.mark it down. what say you tfordstyle.

18. M. Vick
    10:29 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

What it really comes down to is this: BTI isn’t a UK fan, and thus shouldn’t be writing on this website. Why would anybody even care what he has to say?

19. Go Cats
    10:29 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

In all of our losses, there was a 5 to 8 minute stretch were the team went asleep and opponent was able to put a large run (think UConn after Jones left). Although we have been able to scrap back into the game, the team was very mentally exhausted and made poor decisons down the stretch. This is 100% due to a lack of depth. You need at least seven quality players to make a run, and preferably 8 or 9. Getting the starters minutes down to 28-32 minutes a game allows them to be ready for the closing minutes. Sadly, we don’t have a Ramon Harris or Perry Stevenson on this team. (I’d never thought I say that!)

For this reason, we will not make a run in March. We’ll be a 5 or 6 seed and make it to the Sweet 16 at best.

20. cracka
    10:31 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

hate to sound like clyde, but our guys have just got to play tougher to win in the sec … tjones was trying to buck up and had like 5 blocks but how many times did we see him get knocked to the ground … got to toughen up by sec tourney time … after the sec tourney, i think we’ll be pretty good for a nice run … i’ll be happy with whatever they do as long as they don’t all jump ship at the end of the year

21. Humphrey Togart
    10:33 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

I think this article was well written and posted at an optimal time … I hope BTI is a UK fan. But if not, this definitely is not an anti-UK article. Good Job Bryan … You have sparked anger and interest in your readers. You should feel that your goal has been reached.

22. Bryan the Intern
    10:34 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

23. ThreeBux
    10:36 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Once we run into a “big” man on another team in the tourney we are screwed……

24. Take a look
    10:36 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

I am tired of the lack of depth, we are tired argument. Take a look at #1 Ohio St depth issues. They play 6-7 players. Fatigue is not an issue in college basketball. TV timeouts every 4 minutes negate the I am tired issue!

25. sunnycat
    10:38 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

BTI The point of no first round opponent having more than UK is absurd. Are you saying Ole Miss has more than UK?

26. sunnycat
    10:41 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

The problem with this team is they are SOFT. Not fatigue not depth they are soft period. I look for a loss at FL at Vandy, and if we can split TN we will be lucky cause we all know TN will be physical.

27. Bryan the Intern
    10:41 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

25) (Sigh) Did you just stop reading at that sentence. I said that I am not saying it couldn’t happen, but if I have Team A with more talent than Team B, why would pick Team B to win? You wouldn’t. So I am saying that UK will be favored in it’s first round game, no matter who the opponent is, thus it’s absurd to pick them to lose.

28. justlew
    10:43 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

I have wallowed in the we suck posts enough already.

29. me
    10:44 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

LOL, I love Josh, but unless we start playing D2 teams, he ain’t peaking again. Miller lacks the aggressiveness inside to be a leader, he’s way too passive. Cal need to put him in boxing during the off season or hand to hand combat courses or even better, send him to boot camp somewhere, he needs to grow a pair. Liggins is what he is, serviceable. I like this team, but national championship caliber they are not, well unless we face Butler for the title, which could happen, it did last year ;).

30. RICK
    10:46 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Win all home games, play good at FLA, TENN, AND VANDY . Beat ARK., win 2 in the sec tourny and make it to the sweet 16. Do that and i’m ok.

31. Colonel Sanders
    10:47 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

We lose 2 more games, get a 4 seed (maybe 3), and go out in sweet 16. We lose Jones and Lamb to draft and become a big blue monster next year as we steamroll the SEC. Mark it!

32. old-school
    10:52 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

It is silly for some to suggest we won’t make the tournament field – but I can see us losing in the first round.

It’s very realistic for UK to lose another 3 games, maybe even four before teh conference tournament is over – That would give us 8 or 9 losses and position us for a seed of anywhere from 5-8 in the NCAA field.

That would pit us against a quality team and UK is simply too young and too shallow to guarantee a win against a quality opponent.

Sure, UK does have the talent to compete with just about anyone in the country, but we do not have the experience or depth to be a serious threat to make a serious run.

33. Don
    10:55 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Last year we had the big men without the outside shooting.

This year we have all the outside shoting and no big man.

When there’s balance, there will be devastation for anyone that plays us.

34. college student
    10:57 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

24) I COMPLETELY agree! I am a student at UK and I go to the Johnson Center 2-4 times a week and play for 1-3 hours each time. I NEVER feel fatigued and I am in NOWHERE NEAR the shape theses guys are. I am not trying to say that my games are anywhere close to as intense as D1, and I understand that they practice, lift, condition (etc.) on top of that, BUT it doesn’t change the fact that they are 18-22 year old men in great shape. Fatigue. is. not. an. issue. (it’s foul trouble)

35. RidgeRunner
    10:59 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

I had said after our Canada trip…Sweet 16 & 10 losses. The Loserville game almost made me waver and say I was wrong. But now, I’d still be satisfied with a sweet 16 and for us to keep it under 10 losses.

The big difference I see now is why I made that prediction. Hell, I thought it was because of our freshman being the weak links. To me, it’s consistent play from the guys who are not freshman. That is what has surprised me.

36. Burlington_UK_fan
    11:00 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Boogie tweeted last night that someone took his pitbull.

37. sunnycat
    11:02 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

27 No i didnt. I think it was just the thinking this team not losing in the first round “in your opinion” was too much to take. With the remainder of the schedule left and now everybody knows this team is SOFT and does not like contact its gonna be rough. What has this team shown anyone about their ability to win on the road against a physical team.

38. i'm-a-superfan !!!!!
    11:06 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Larry Drew II leaves UNC and plans to transfer. …he’ll have to sit out and have only 1 year left of ell.

39. bmt22033
    11:07 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

What #33 said.

40. The Fake Fake Gimel Martinez
    11:13 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

I’m glad that BTI knows the expectations of the entire fanbase. How did you come across that info?

41. Ky76
    11:14 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

keep this in mind….Coach Calipari hasn’t lost back to back games since….

Mar 2, 2005 @St. Louis

Mar 5, 2005 Cincinnati

folks….that’s over 5 years….

42. Chillout
    11:17 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

It’s only early February you knucleheads. Quit whinning already. They will be fine. They are a young team and will get better with each week. I would guess by tournament time they will be playing their best ball and #37 will be saying that he said back when KY was losing that they would still go to the final four.

43. Ky76
    11:18 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

This team reminds me of the 93/94 UK team….they can make a deep run as long as they don’t play someone with a strong inside game…

44. sunnycat
    11:18 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

39 WOW. First the Ware twins and now Drew 2. Roy just cant keep them happy at UNC. But in Drews case I am sure his dad was involved in the decision and its all over the playing time. I guess Drew would rather he look good and lose than look bad and win.

45. sunnycat
    11:20 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

43 What about October November December and January

46. Czech KY fan
    11:23 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

Surprisingly decent post BTI. You still suck though.

But Butler was def. a top 10 team last year. Yet once you hit the tourn. things tend to take on another dynamic where experience plays in more of a part than anything else. Granted it can still get you nowhere (Georgetown last year) or take you to places where no one expected (last years Murray State and UNI).

UK has no real experience. We talk about Miller and Liggins and Jorts but last year they didn’t really get that much play. Some games they shine but I think we’ve kinda hit the watermark w/ this team.

I think they can win the SEC tourn. It’s a crap shoot anyway.

I always felt that UK this year was a 2nd round team. Maaaaaybe the 16. Depends on draw and its ridiculous to even make proclamations about how far they’ll go b4 the draw is set.

The dangerous part now is that UK is in danger of getting a underrated mid-major team in the draw with a solid record in a small conference. Those are the most dangerous schools come March. Teams with not any RPI rocking wins but a slew of the type where they blew out their opponents by 15+ on a normal basis (last years UNI and Murray here again)

Only expectations I carry for this team is that they learn to play the full 40. If we come back next year with five players in the rotation which have learned that… then next year and the following should be very, very nice.

47. see it for what it is
    11:44 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

No we dont have top ten talent. We have 3, count em 3 guys that can play. All the time and effort wasted on a guy that everyone knew would not be eligible, Harrelson’s game against UL was a fluke not the norm, Liggens can’t score, Miller can’t or won’t show up every game, Vargas, wow what can you say about a 6-10 guy who gets his shot blocked all the time and can’t rebound, apparently Hood and Poole have to be the worst defenders in the country, and Polson is OVC at best. Its Cal’s job to develope the bench and he has failed at that. At Memphis he “over talented” Con USA, did te same in the SEC last year we had all the talent, he hasn’t shown me much when he isnt loaded. Tell me how many 5 star guys did Ole Miss, UGA, and Bama put on the court during our losses ? What is “dribble-drive ” ? I just don’t see it. Maybe next year with our incoming 4, plus Jones, Lamb, Knight, (if we can get them all back) and what ever we have left over we can win the SEC, atleast beat an SEC west team on the road.

48. TheNewOriginal
    11:47 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

45/ Either is better than looking bad and losing.

49. TheNewOriginal
    11:50 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

48) What world are you living in? UK has been better in the past 2 years than in the past 10. Calipari hasn’t shown you anything? He took a team from the NIT to a couple of plays away from a final four in one year.

50. TheNewOriginal
    11:53 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

48/ Also, maybe you should look up the 1996 game tapes. Cal took one star player (Camby) and beat one of the most talented teams ever assembled. And almost beat them again in the final four.

51. sunnycat
    11:54 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

47 Miller was a starter last year Liggins got some clock and Harrelson was buried on the bench.

52. HAtch
    11:59 am February 4, 2011 Permalink

I watched Duke get hammered by Georgetown last year on Natl TV while Obama was in the building, and after that I would have bet everthing I owned that Duke wasn’t a final four team. Our main problem has been our “vetereans” look like a deer in headlights on the road, but in the tourney on a neutral site, we will be a tough out, especially if Darius shows up ready to compete.

53. Chillout
    12:00 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

46 when you have so many freshman playing most of the minutes it takes a while for them to get to the level they need to be at. Believe it or not, you can learn alot from a loss, or 5 in UK’s case. Nevertheless, its too early to be so negative as most of the folks on here are.

54. Musehobo
    12:12 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

It’s funny to watch BTI have to defend himself so much even when he gets it right every now and then. People on this site have started building a hatred for your posts for so long now, (and not in a funny “BTI sucks” kind of way), that you can’t say anything without every word being scrutinized. I realize that’s sort of the point with these posts, but now that people are starting to doubt your level of fanaticism for the Cats, the mobs are getting less tolerant of your “rants and ramblings”.

55. sunnycat
    12:14 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

Does anybody not realize that when Cal got to UK the only recruits coming in were BCG recruits. And the two previous coaches were recruiting players not even on the radar of D1 schools. Cal had ZERO to work with aside from Patterson. Had Cal not came to UK there would be NO Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, or Orton last year and NO Jones, Knight, or Lamb this year. And no loaded class next year. And contrary to what some believe Cal doesnt recruit only “one and dones” he goes after the best of the best players every single year. At the end of the year if that player has the chance to go to the NBA and make millions of dollars so be it. Cal has UK back in the spotlight natioally and all the best players want to play for Cal at UK. Recruiting is the least of my worries under Cal. Its gonna be a long year for this team for obvious reasons. Cal needs another year to get a roster of HIS players no more Josh Carriers and Brandon Stocktons of the world. Will some leave early after one year maybe will every freshman leave earlt every year no. If Cal isnt doing a good ehough job for you considering what he came in to then there isnt a coach out there who would satisfy you because there isnt another coach out there who could do what Cal has and is doing for UK. There probably isnt another coach out there with the sack to even take the job let alone LOVE being at UK.

56. Bsb Coach
    12:14 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

I resent you calling out this team for lack of toughness. We are lacking a dominant big guy and are very young. This does not mean they cannot achieve at a high level. It also doesn’t mean that every time they don’t pull through they are lacking toughness.

57. bung
    12:16 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

If we get 25 to 30 defensive rebounds and RUN out with them for 8 or 10 layups and only use the half court offense when that fails we will win by 20, shoot 50%, and score over 90 points. But we will prob continue to walk the ball up, not use our bench, let Josh shoot three 15 footers again instead of using him to score under the basket, let Ligs shoot a bunch and tired starters will shoot 39% and lose another close one. However if the SEC institutes timeout carryover, and they can be sold, a new stadium is no problem.

58. bung
    12:17 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

arena

59. sunnycat
    12:19 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

The freshmen arent the problem. The freshmen are doing it all. People these are not the type of freshman UK has grown accustomed to. BCG and Tubby arent doing the recruiting anymore.

60. see it for what it is
    12:22 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

50, granted we are better, but u telling me Poole cant play ? Hood cant play ? Are they that bad they cant see the court ? Where is the development ? U dont cringe whenever you see Vargas hit the court ? Nearly any coach could have taken those guys last year to the elite 8. yeah i was around in 96, Umass wasnt a one man team. Tell me that Ole Miss, Bama, and Uga put better payers on the court, the buck stops with the head man, and apparently he doesnt develope players, as much as it pains me and I cant believe Im saying this but [email protected] rick has done more with less this season.

61. sunnycat
    12:24 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

57 This team is soft and does not like contact. Cal said it himself when they were at GA they were coming to the timouts complaining about not getting the whistle on bumps and Cal told them if its not called to have to play through it. If a guy cant or wont take the ball to the basket because he doesnt like contact he is SOFT not TOUGH.

62. Rex Chapman
    12:25 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

i’m starting to wonder if BTI and old-school are the same person. for ‘UK’ fans, they sure are very pessimistic.

63. sunnycat
    12:33 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

63 The only difference is old-school thinks Hall and Rupp are still coaching.

64. Viren
    12:34 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

I still believe this team has the potential to get to the Elite Eight and with some luck Final Four. I feel like the losses we have suffered so far this season Cats simply lost focus with a few bounces our way at UNC, at Georgia, at Alabama, and at Ole Miss all games could have been won. There is only one game that we lost was out of reach and that was the UCONN game in Maui. Remember this is a better shooting team than last year and if the start hitting their stride watch out. I do think these guys get rattled on the hostile environment, so expect few more SEC road losses but Cats will be dangerous team in the NCAA this year. Think about it we had 18 turnovers and still came back from double digit lead on the road on the backs of Brandon Knight. We were down 20 at Alabama and had 2 shots to win the game at the end, we are very resilient team. If they can put together strong 40 minutes effort I think we will be hard to beat. If Cats can pull out a win either on the road at Florida or Vandy and take care of business at home we will be fine in the SEC. I really do not care about SEC Championship this year. We are just way to young and as long as we get a descent seed in the NCAA we should be okay. One thing we need to know is there is no clear cut favorite in D-I College basketball.

65. Viren
    12:41 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

#56 Well said. I absolutely agree there isn’t a coach in American who will take Kentucky’s job. Donovan didn’t why? He knows UK fan base will put every loss under microscope. Bill Self is not coming to UK. So who does that leave Travis Ford and John Pelphrey and I know you fools would sure as h.ell are not going to be happy with these guys.

66. see it for what it is
    12:44 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

65, we shouldnt be in the position to be 20 down at Bama. Tough crowds ? Hey these kids arent playing basketball for the first time today. They havent seen tough yet, we still have to go to Vandy, UF, UT and Arkansas. They played at UNC and Louisville, noway a crowd could more hatefull than UL’s bunch of bucket heads.

67. Kemba Walker
    12:52 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

#14 We exposed y’all a long time ago

68. see it for what it is
    12:54 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

U might be right 56, just kills me to see us getting beat by teams that shouldn’t be close to us. If we can keep the core of what we have for next year, with the new additions, who knows ? If its gonna be alot of one and dones I have doubts about championships.

69. GatorHater
    12:57 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

I don’t see us making it very far this season. Maybe making it to the second round would be a strech. The real problem is that we don’t have
    the inside present, jorts can only do so much. It really hurts us by not having kanter cleared. I really think cal shouldn’t have put all of his eggs in one basket, and everyone knows you have to big guy
    to make a long run in the big dance.
    So I hope we can all learn from this mistake. Go get a big man that is decent, maybe two because one guy can’t do all the work. We need a sure thing not a maybe big guy. Come on cal I know you love 1-4 guys
    but you have to have a knock out center. Hopefully they stay around for a couple of years. Instead of making them rich, make the BBN rich as well. Sorry for all of that, now I will get off my soap box.

70. Viren
    1:10 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

Last week 14 ranked opponents lost is the reason UK climbed on the polls, including 5 top 10 teams lost with Ohio State and Pitt squeaked by Northwestern and Rutgers bottom feeders from each respective conference. This week we have 8 top 25 teams that fell, which does not even include the upsets that will take place on slate of Saturday’s games. Parity in college basketball is here to stay as top talent bolts for NBA and experienced guys make up the lack of talent. Though we have a very talented team but we make freshman mistakes even our Vets make freshman mistakes so we are no different than junior and senior laded teams.

71. Lex07
    1:20 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

69.) So, do you want to throw Davis and Gilchrist back, because they might be “one and done”? Maybe Richie Farmer or John Pelphrey has a nephew we can sign who will be sure to be around for four years.

72. Viren
    1:21 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

#67 Cal’s Cats 2.0 are not the same team we had last year with overpowering front court. We should not fall 20 points down to AL you are absolutely right, but these guys are young and they let one mistake become two and three and four. Sometimes fouls don’t go your way and they make stupid decision of fouling guys 90 feet away from basket. So when they learn to play without picking up fouls we will be prone to lose to anyone. I thought the fouls at Ole Miss games were some hard fouls. I thought we would not get out of that game without someone getting hurt. Lamb foul was hard and Knight was just pushed around all game. All I am saying guys need to learn play through when things aren’t going your way. These are 18-19 year old kids and they will make mistakes when they are playing against veteran team. Ole Miss, AL, and GA were led by Vets. Cats are 3-1 on the neutral sites so we will see how they do on the neutral site games in the NCAA tournament.

73. sunnycat
    2:22 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

As much as people used to complain about recruiting the last 10 – 12 years you would think UK was losing five guys every year and nothing could be further from the truth. The truth is five guys from one team getting drafted was a first for all of college basketball. UK is finally getting the kind of talent that wouldnt give UK the time of day until Cal came along and fans are bitching about it. Will we have one or two go every year well its very likely but when your restocking with top notch talent it doesnt hurt so bad. Personally I like our chances better with the #1 recruiting classes and being ranked in the top 25. We have four guys coming in next year and the lowest ranked guy is like #25 in the country.

74. elstie01
    3:04 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

I hate to break it to everyone, but if we lose 2 of the 3 freshman that get minutes, next year isn’t going to be much better than this one. The players for next year aren’t as talented as last year’s and aren’t as good of shooter’s as this years. They are a better crop than this year’s all together, but they will struggle to score at points, just like 09′-10′. This is not a doomsday prediction, it’s honest truth. We simply can’t lose Lamb and Jones, or Knight and Jones…we can only get better if we lose one, and even that still hurts our chances of being “great.” We are getting ahead of ourselves talking about our expectations too. This team is in the exact same position Billy G’s was two years ago. There’s a chance we will be playing Creighton, UNLV, and losing to Notre Dame in the NIT come March. Is it likely? NO! But it certainly has happened recently and could again! This is the exact scenario that most of you will try to say is beneath us as a program! But guess what, it’s possible and I’d say there’s a 15 to 20 percent chance of it coming to fruition.

75. elstie01
    3:06 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

74) and how many will leave after next year? With that class and if Knight and Lamb stay, atleast 4 are gone again (more likey 5-6)! This isn’t a complaint either. I’m happy to have the talent. But you can’t say that it won’t happen year in, year out because in all likelyhood, unless the rule changes, it will continue to happen!

76. BarackaFlackaFlame
    3:45 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

Would it hurt to win the rest of the way out? I mean the only problem with this team is that they have 0 balls and when they get pushed they don’t finish around the rim, or they get it stripped and panic mode sets in.

77. sunnycat
    4:21 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

76 “Will we have one or two go every year well its very likely but when your restocking with top notch talent it doesnt hurt so bad”

78. sunnycat
    4:27 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

I am pretty Cal knows he cant bring in five new guys every year. And I am pretty sure that is not his intention either. But like I said Cal gets the best of the best which is what I think UK should have been doing the last 10-12 years. If one or two leave early so be it its not like he cant go out the next year and get another great player.

79. sunnycat
    4:33 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

78 With Cal it wont be like losing Tayshaun Prince or Keith Bogans and bringing in Antwam Barbour and Sheray Thomas. Cal has already proven it. Cal started with nothing at UK except for what he brought with him plus PPat so I think its going pretty good so far.

80. Realist
    5:59 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

Miller is at the point of no return. He knows he laid an egg against Ole Miss and tomorrow night is redemption time… or it’s time for him to go to the end of the bench for good. We’ll see what he’s really made of. You’ve got to want that ball in your hands at the end of the game.

81. Ms.Kentucky
    9:22 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

All I expect from this team at this point is that they will remember to wipe after they take a crap. Pretty much it. This season sucks.

82. Tokyo Satchel
    11:41 pm February 4, 2011 Permalink

Prayin’ for a long tourney run, but mentally and emotionally prepared for an early exit. I hope things change and soon!

83. SanDiegoDave
    9:27 am February 5, 2011 Permalink

I’m going to grab a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 and a straw. It will help ease the pain of a NCAA 2nd round exit.