BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Really? No expectations?

I’ve been lucky enough to co-host Sportstalk84 with Lachlan McLean a few times over the last couple months, and when we talk about UK football, I am amazed at the amount of people who say they have no expectations coming into this season.  Many argue because Mark Stoops was left such a mess, and it takes coaches more than a year to get things going, and the recruiting class next year is so good, that they really have no goals or expectations for this season.  I heard 1 guy say the team could go 0-12 and he would give it a pass.  I call crap on that.  I don’t care how bad you might think the team is or how much leeway you are willing to give a 1st year coach, you still have to expect certain things from a team.  So, below I give you some of my expectations that if they are not met, will make me an unhappy fan.

1. COMPETE EVERY GAME

-You could argue last season, that team did not even attempt to compete against Florida, Arkansas, or Vanderbilt.  The Arkansas and Vanderbilt loses were the lamest excuses for effort I can remember out of a Kentucky team, and that rests directly onto Joker Phillips.  I am not as concerned about the losses as much as I am about the effort.  Because frankly, there will be losses this season.  Last year’s team gave up once they came.  Will Mark Stoops be able to continue to motivate after several losses.

2. WIN AN SEC GAME

-I don’t care how bad you think this team is, or how bad you thought last year’s team was, you CAN NOT go 0-8 in the SEC.  You have more than winnable games this season against Missouri and Tennessee, and potential wins against Mississippi State and Vanderbilt.  If you can not find it to win just one of those games, I consider the season a disappointment.

3. SCORE 20 POINTS PER GAME

-You have a stable of good QB’s to choose from, a decent core of running backs, and an unproven group of wide receivers.  Nobody thinks you should be the Green Bay Packers, but 20 points per game is not unreasonable, especially considering you bring in a great offensive mind like Neal Brown.  I want to see creativity, or certainly more than under Joker, and I want to see more points on the board.  The last 2 seasons UK averaged 17.9 and 15.8 ppg.  That can not happen under a new staff with a more pass happy offense.

4. NO LOSSES OVER 35 POINTS

-I get Alabama is on the schedule and Georgia is on the road.  But arguing an SEC should not lose any game by more than FIVE TOUCHDOWNS is not a ridiculous expectation.  But despite that, Kentucky has lost five games, all SEC contests, by more than 35 points in the last 2 years.  That’s pathetic.  That shows a complete lack of execution, effort, game planning, and passion.  I expect better from this team.

So, what are your expectations and are mine too severe?

Article written by Bryan the Intern

43 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Really? No expectations?

1. really ?!?!?!?
    9:06 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

i didn’t win the powerball AGAIN last night. that makes four times i’ve played and not won it all. done, forget it, i put too much effort into things to not get my reward

2. mike
    9:08 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

pretty much all of those would be my expectations. They’re not unreasonable.

3. mike
    9:10 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

@1 my dad called me up yesterday and tried to get me to by him a powerball ticket. I tried to explain to him how the lottery is a tax on the poor and stupid. He is a lawyer with a wealthy practice. So i asked him which category that would put him under..

4. WildFan
    9:12 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

I’m willing to give Stoops some leeway. I do agree with the need to see competitive effort and I would add the desire to see reasonable play calls for each situation. I’m mostly willing to give leeway to the new staff for the final result because Barnhart mistakenly gave Joker leeway for an additional year when it was obvious he should have been gone prior to last season.

5. Drunk Swanson
    9:13 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

I expect Z’Darius to tackle Steve Spurrier, if that does not happen it will have been a disappointing season.

6. Chris
    9:23 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

Does Matt Jones still have a website? Why do people still follow him? He is a Jim Tirey wanna be who will never be! He gave up a law career to be a radio host. Nice move matt!!!!!

7. notbillyg
    9:27 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

BTI SUCKS!!!

8. Air Force One
    9:29 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

You Kentucky fans are pathetic. Those are your expectations? Jeez, don’t aim too high. Just set the bar so low, that a Special Olympics team could clear it and at the end of a crappy season you can all proclaim success. Ridiculous.

9. Coaching 101
    9:31 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

Your comment: Will Mark Stoops be able to continue to motivate after several losses.
    We have yet to play a game and I need not say anything, except obviously you never coached any sport.

10. AnthonyBBN
    9:33 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

Well, I think I will actually talk about the post and not some random crap or another loserville fan ragging Matt (do you seriously have nothing better to do?).

Here are my expectations.

3 Wins, anything less is a little disappointing. Compete every game, attack, and play hard. I can give a small pass if they get blown out by Alabama and Georgia this year, but everyone else I really think they need to be in the game at the end. I am not expecting greatness this year, but it better be more than mediocrity. Stoops has his job cut out for him, considering he has the toughest schedule in college football. Not hyperbole, UK literally has the hardest schedule in CFB this year. So honestly, 3 wins and competitive isn’t much to ask for. Anyone who thinks there should be bowl games and sec titles in the next two years need a reality check. 4-5 years, that is possible if they stay on this route.

11. Au contraire
    9:33 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

@8 don’t forget we play in the SEC and have the toughest schedule in the country.

On the contrary, if we could schedule a cupcake schedule every year like lewisville, then perhaps our expectations would reasonably increase.

12. theWilkman
    9:35 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

Isn’t it funny how Louisville fans act like they’ve been a top tier football practice for decades? Enjoy it while it lasts.

As for the expectations, I think yours are very reasonable, BTI. I think your first point is the most important. I couldn’t stomach watching the team after they flat gave up.

13. JDH
    9:35 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

I expect 5 to 7 wins this year.

14. theWilkman
    9:36 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

12 “practice” should read “program”…need more coffee

15. stucknbig10
    9:41 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

BTI, I think your expectations are reasonable. Here are additional ones from me (there is some overlap with yours):
    1) Spring at least one upset (UL, UT, Mizzou, Vandy, South Carolina, Florida, SOMEONE: this one overlaps with your wish that we win one SEC game given that we should be underdogs in all 8 games.
    2) Superior game planning: I am tired of being outcoached. Other SEC coaches regularly commented on the simplicity of our schemes. I don’t care if we’re simple or complex, but I want people scratching their heads as to how to defend our offense or how to solve our D.
    3) Preparation: I want to see our kids be hard-nosed and prepared every game. If you run a trick play, there should be some reason to believe taht it will work.
    4) 5 wins (or more): I think 6 is tough with this schedule, but you have 3 wins that should be a given. Finding 2 more is a challenge, but I think it’s a reasonable goal.

16. Musehobo
    9:42 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

Last year Alabama only let two teams all year score 20 or more on them (Georgia and A&M). This also includes their thumping of ND in the championship. If we score 20 on Alabama I will be elated, but this should not be the expectation. Your #3 should be re-considered.

17. AnthonyBBN
    9:45 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

7 out of 12 games UK plays are top 15, 6 are top 10. No one else is playing that kind of schedule, and honestly a couple more could creep in the top 25 since they are in the SEC. How many top 25 opponents does UofL have on their schedule? Is that crickets I hear?

18. Jeff Garlin
    9:46 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

Where is yesterday’s podcast? BTI is a gentleman and a scholar!

19. Real UK Fan
    9:52 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

Obviously, the writer of this article and many of the posters have lost the ability to use reason. The simple facts are that Joker Phillips was/is one of the worst coaches to ever be a head coach at a major college. He left little or no talent at many positions and the talent he did leave is generally not at a major college level. No amount of great coaching can overcome a complete lack of talent. This team cannot be expected to compete with any other SEC team. It would be unfair, and frankly, pretty stupid to even think that could happen. Be happy with an expectation of 3 wins. Even that may be reaching a little to high for this team. I personally think we might get 2 wins and even that is not guaranteed. However, it does appear that better things are on the horizon.

20. Woohop
    9:57 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

Bryan. Have you ever had a real job? Have you ever taken over a team of employees with a history of having had BAD management? If so, you would realize that it is a PROCESS to rebuild confidence and establish a work ethic going forward. You may not correct the past performance quickly…….depends on the quality of the team members and how motivated you can help them become to excel beyond their ability level. You have to discover whether they. Possess the WILLINGNESS and ABILITY to perform the tasks asked of them. STOOPS and coaches will only have had them for 5-6 weeks total to perform the miracles you expect. Yes, we all hope the team performs better than the past shortcomings you define. But to succeed long term requires focusing on a PROCESS of day to day improvement NOT obsessing about the outcomes you define. RESULTS come when you assess the situation…..make a plan…….and follow the plan. Drawing an arbitrary line-in-the-sand shows ignorance of what this coaching challenge and any other turn-around management effort is all about. Be happy with whatever the results are as long as effort is there. “Rome wasn’t built in a Day”.

21. The Tain't
    9:58 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

I expect to not see a 5 yard pass when we need 6 yards.

22. Call me crazy
    10:07 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

We’re going 6-6 this year. Write it down.

23. Stoops Poops
    10:19 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

@#11 No UofL fan would argue that the SEC isn’t the biggest beast of a schedule, but UofL beat two more SEC teams last year than your Cayuts did. Granted one was UK, but SEC nevertheless. The Cards rang the SEC’s bell when they had the shot. Wonder how much longer you’ll have to wait to be able to say that. If you achieve your lofty goal of a single SEC win this year, that’ll still be half of the SEC wins we had last year.

24. Stoops Poops
    10:34 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

I DVR’d last night’s rerun of the 2013 Sugar Bowl, so feel free to come over and watch it if you guys want to learn a thing or two about beating an SEC team. It took the cards one game to do what UK’s been trying to do for over a quarter century.

25. DerbyDemon
    10:41 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

It’s “cannot”–not can not. As for #23 and #24, it’s a shame your overrated, gaggy-ass Cardinals aren’t in the SEC. And if there’s any god, I hope Alabama gets ahold of your ass somewhere down the line this year. And with that patsy ass schedule of yours, there’s a good possibility that might happen. Your two SEC wins came against UK and a Florida team that was way overrated and on a downward spiral when they played UL. UL wouldn’t last one year with UK’s schedule, but then, who in the hell wants to play UL anyway?

26. MustangCat
    10:50 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

Wow! UL wins ONE football game, and suddenly they think they are “elite”?! I guess it’s easy to compare yourselves to the best when your toughest opponent is a 2-10 UK team??? Can’t wait to see how well that goes for you guys THIS YEAR!?! UL goes 11-2 last year, by winning 8 or 9 games by a touchdown or less? One other one was by 10. Squeeker after squeeker against one of the easiest schedules in the country. You guys got HAMMERED by SYRACUSE??? And lost to UCONN??? South Florida almost beat you AT PAPA JOHNS STADIUM! You guys had maybe 3 games all year where you looked like much of anything, and you beat a Florida team that didn’t bother showing up mentally. UK’s team last year could have beat Florida that day! They were too busy sulking because they felt cheated by the NCAA. UL can thank the NCAA ofr that win. They had no business being in that game in the first place. If UL would have had a bowl game against a MOTIVATED opponent, they would have gotten smoked. If you guys want to think you beat Florida because you were better???? Your delusional. If you play them under any other circumstances, you have no chance last year. Reality will bite you hard this year, and it will be nothing like next years reality! When they actually make you guys play a college schedule, earth will rise up and smack you fast. Next year, you’ll be looking at “finding” 6 winnable games on your schedule. AND I GUARANTEE YOU, next year you’ll all be whining about your “tough” schedule….

27. Stoops Poops
    10:56 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

You have, like what, 4 SEC wins in the last 3 years, about as many as some schools have OUTSIDE of your conference. But hey, let’s tear down a goal post when we knock off an SEC bottomfeeder and finish with a 5-7 record. Sadly, those were your glory days.

28. goUKats
    10:56 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

Fans caught on quickly what was happening to UK football under Joker,and they quit attending games.Too bad it took Mitch so long to figure it out.Hopefully we will never witness a football team at UK that is unprepared and pathetic as those put on the field the past wo years.

29. Drew Franklin
    10:59 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

I am planning to drive around Compton throwing up three goggles after 2am.
    What do you think?

30. ebell55
    11:02 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

Good points BTI the only thing I disagree on is that the defense played very hard against Fla. Morgan Newton couldn’t hit a barn with the football that day. We gave UGA all they wanted in a 29-24 loss and we played USC and Mizzo tough for the first half of those games. For all the talk of Joker leaving the team without talent I say bull. We have more talent now than Mummy did in his first year. You didn’t have a Rump Cobble Dupree Williamson type of talent on defense. I think AJ Legree Collins Robinson will have big years and look out for Anthony Kendrick. If Sweatt had worked out with the talent Stoops has brought in we would have a decent set of wideouts. The O line and Secondary bother me but I see a lot of good football players on this team. Also our D Line is the deepest it has been in 20 years. I like what Stoops is doing and I hope he gets us turned around.

31. Stoops Poops
    11:03 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

It’s funny, because sports journalists and coaches seem to think UofL is pretty high up on the list too, so I guess they’re “delusional” too? You play the hand you’re dealt. The system delivered to us a Sugar Bowl berth and we won it. You can use the ol’ excuse that Florida didn’t show up, but it doesn’t change the fact that you went 0-8 plus a home loss to WKU. UofL’s schedule is poor, but not nearyly as poor as UK’s 2012 campaign. “Ya’ll ‘sposed to be SEC!”. How about you start acting like it, you fair-weather fakes!

32. Matt Jones
    11:09 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

I expect BTI to suck.

33. CatsFanFrankfort
    11:48 am August 8, 2013 Permalink

#16. He said 20 points PER GAME. That can be an average. I don’t think anyone expects us to put up 20 on Bama. But if we score a TD and a field goal (10pts.), and make up for that by scoring 30pts on some other team, it will average to 20ppg.

34. The Lord
    12:19 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Get blown out, get the WRs massive stats, recruit. Gotta blow the whole shit pile up anyway.

35. LOL
    12:20 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Possible win at Vandy????? 40-0 Last Year. Vandy is arguably better, UK is probably worse. You don’t score a single point. Vandy smashes UK 54-0 this year and Jordan Matthews has 5 Touchdown catches. Stoops leaves immediately for the WKU job after Petrino gets hired by Tennessee LOLOLOLOL.

36. Faycts
    12:47 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

UK leads the overall series with UL 14-11 and has won 4 of the last 6. And I remember my friend crying on my shoulder when Krapthorpe was there not so long ago.

37. MustangCat
    1:26 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

@31, and the rest of the troll dolls you play with. Face it, your team was a play away in almost every game last year from losing! Your world-beating “11-2” squad your so proud of could have EASILY been 6-6 or 4-8, and not playing Florida, or any bowl game?! You did THAT against one of the weakest schedules????? What do you really think would have happened if your team would have played even a modest schedule? Last year, you caught us in Jokers last stand year. We were trying to force a pitiful coach out. You guys have been there done that one too, havn’t you?! Several times. The only difference between our football team and yours since we renewed to play you, is our schedules. If we switched places with you guys, we’d win 8-10 games every year. Strong will probably leave UL once he loses again to UK, which will happen this year or next. Have you guys landed a 4-star recruit this year??? I don’t think so…..

38. MustangCat
    1:36 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Go ahead trolls, fire off about how UK IS CHEATING in recruiting!?! “Gotta be cheating to land all those 4-star guys that we can’t land, at our “elite” school”. Go ahead and talk about cheating while you put Hurtt back out on the field coaching?! While your coach breaks every one of his own rules that he set – so’s he can land a good back?! Go ahead and talk about a kid no one else wants because dresses in red flags!!! Talk about cheating when your coach go’s to the hospital to console one of HIS OWN KIDS, who got jumped by his own team-mates, and tells him not to do anything legally! So he can handle it internally!? And then dismisses the kid who got hurt because the boys who jumped him were better players?! Go ahead and talk. we are all ears.

39. WE BEAT FLORIDA IN THE SUGAR BOWL, WHILE YOU LOST 10 of 12 Games!!!
    1:39 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

#36 While it is true the U of K leads the overall series 14-11, it is also a fact that in the Modern Era (1994-2012) U of L leads 11-8. Those 6 additional wins U of K has all came before 1925!!! WHO CARES what happened almost 100 years ago!! How many current U of K fans were even alive then?
    If you want to say that U OF K has 4 out the last 6, then I will counter argue that U of L has won 6 of the past 10.
    Furthermore, Last year when U of L was matched up against Florida in the Sugar Bowl, all we heard for a month was how Florida will destroy U of L!! Louisville spanks the hell out that Less EC poser!!!!
    Put these “Faycts” in your pipe and smoke them!!!

40. Faycts
    2:15 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Love getting little brother riled up. Ahhhh…. Stats can be spun any way you want to spin them; point made.

41. Robert Abell
    5:20 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

I didn’t see the Florida or Vanderbilt game but did see part of the Arkansas game, which was as poor an effort as I’ve ever seen out of a UK or any other team. It was so bad that the refs called the game; they too just couldn’t take anymore of it. I think Bryan the Intern’s expectations are reasonable but add two further points: (1) I think averaging 20 points a game is too low by a little; and, (2) in a way that is hard to define or express the team should leave the fans with the inescapable impression that things are definitely on the up-tick, which I guess means surprise us in an encouraging way.

42. True blue
    7:29 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Dear Card fans, until you play a full SEC season you are just showing your ignorance. Even Charlie Strong, whom I once respected until he defended a cheating coach and recruited a total thug, said he wants no part of it. Play your patsies and STFU!

43. Ecig Sale
    3:15 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

I’ll immediately grasp your rss as I can’t to find your email subscription link or newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please permit me recognise so that I may subscribe. Thanks.|