BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Lightning Poll- Eloy or Floury

I debated long and hard about whether or not to write a lengthy post today about the many issues going on with this team right now, but after yesterday’s article about being a good fan, I have decided against it in fear of being too critical of the players.  I am certain that as crappy as we feel about the loss yesterday, the players feel worse.  And if they don’t feel worse, then there is no hope for them anyway.

But, there is just one criticism that I have to address and I want to put a lightning poll out there.  I know Beisner said he wasn’t going to list the 1 minute of greatness that was Eloy Vargas’ play last night, but I just have to:

-Vargas comes in with UK up 15-13
-He gets the ball on the baseline, is trapped and throws a wild pass that is stolen and leads to dunk
-On the next Bama possession, he goes up for uncontested rebound, can not hang on to ball, Bama recovers and proceeds to dunk
-On the next Bama possession, Eloy is pick and rolled, rotates waaaaaayyyyyy late and Bama gets a layup
-Cats down 19-15, Vargas is pulled

Now, that is as far as I am willing to go in being critical of the kid because I think the plays above explain themselves.  But, as Matt pointed out on the call-in show last night, you have to question what exactly Vargas does that is positive.  What does he actually give you when he is on the floor?  And it reminded me of the exact same debate that UK fans with another player just 3 years ago.  A man named Mark “Floury” Coury.

So, here is the poll I want to take in the comments section: Who is better: Eloy Vargas or Mark Coury?

Ready.  Go.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

168 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Lightning Poll- Eloy or Floury

1. Ukworm
    10:13 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Vargas is better. If he wasn’t so powdery soft he would be good.

2. What?
    10:14 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Really? That’s like asking if I want cat $hit on my shoe or dog $hit on my shoe…neither one is good and both stink!

3. Recspecsrule
    10:14 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury is a beast compared to “Elroy”. Vargas blows goats.

4. Ridickaluss
    10:14 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Vargas has way more potential, so I have to give the nod to him simply because Coury was absolutely useless. Vargas has at least shown flashes of competency this season.

5. Jeff Vincent
    10:15 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

I would have to say that My 10 yr. old daughter is better than either one (who by the way doesn’t even play basketball).

6. Coury's mother
    10:16 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Mark Coury is better!

7. TommyTurtlenecksPitstains
    10:17 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Gotta give it to the Coury Flury. He could at least get a rebound every once in a while and his ‘hustle’ that Billy G loved enough to start him is certainly better than anything I have seen from Eloy this year.

8. TJ
    10:17 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

VARGAS – HE WAS A TOP 50 RECRUIT!!!!!

9. TRock
    10:18 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Vargas apparently HAD more potential but we haven’t seen it if it’s still there. He’s soft. Needs to get a fire lit under his a$$. Coury was just tuuurrrrriiiiibbbbbllllleeee.

10. Vargas's Mother Says;
    10:19 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

¡Eloy es un mejor jugador de baloncesto!

11. UKWildcats86
    10:19 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Seriously, I wish Vargas the best of luck in life, but he is not good enough to play on this team… Ever

12. TheHoff
    10:20 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Gotta go Coury here. Put judging by the picture they both have the same vertical… none.

13. CatSinceBirth
    10:20 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

I try to get another year for Jared Carter.

14. Stanley
    10:20 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Flury in a pair of croc’s could out play Vargas at this point.

15. TheHoff
    10:20 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

*but

16. Joe
    10:20 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury, for the same reason that most people above are picking. “Vargas is better… if he wasn’t so powdery soft.” “Vargas has way more potential” “VARGAS… WAS A TOP 50 RECRUIT!”

What this tells me is that there is no logical reason for Vargas to suck. With Coury, the logic was obvious. He had no skills. Ergo, Coury could be a disappointment only in the sense that someone as crappy as him should’ve never been at Kentucky. Vargas is a disappointment in pretty much every sense.

17. NKY_UK_fan
    10:21 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Like Samantha Ryan, they both blow.

18. BenF
    10:21 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Like a previous post said; Vargas has more potential, but right now I would take Coury. Coury could at least grab a few rebounds and he knew his assignment. Vargas just looks completely lost in every area.

19. Stanley
    10:21 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Vargas would struggle to get 5 boards in a lumber yard.

20. Cawood2Cal
    10:22 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Gotta be the Coury Flurry. He was hardnosed and hustled. I can’t complain about such a player.

21. Cal Purnell here
    10:23 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

This is like comparing BTI and Tipton. BTI and Coury are All-Americans.

22. Bluecalizone
    10:23 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Neither has/had the talent to wear a Kentucky Uniform, bottom line. We get beat, or a kid has a bad game and many are ready to bash a player. But in reality, he has no business on this team, other than the fact that we are so short of bodies. If he only did the basics well, blocking out, rebounding, moving his feet on defense, but he doesn’t. No clue why he’s here.

23. WifeBeater
    10:24 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury is easily better

24. Jerimy
    10:24 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

vargas is just not a Kentucky Basketball player, Billy clyde would have put him IN a toilet at this point. I wish the kid the best, but he just needs to go away.

25. Red Bird
    10:24 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury would give UK more positive minutes than Vargas does, I’m sure of it.

26. carolinablueispasttenseforcarolinablows
    10:25 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

They both provide very little to the team while on the court so – push. But Coury worked his a$$ off every second he was out there – nod goes to Coury. Not to mention the sheer entertainment value Coury gave us. Coury wins.

27. Red Rooster
    10:25 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Joe sucks for using “Ergo” in his post.

To answer the question, I would rather have 5 on 4 than either of those goats.

28. ShagOnSports
    10:25 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Vargas is Garbage… Varbage is his nickname!!!

29. Hot UK Girl (Matt fan)
    10:27 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

What Vargas gives is a breather for Jorts; who, despite his new found fly physique, is not capable of running up and down the floor continually for 40 minutes. You’ve got to give him some relief and Vargas, while not a relief, is certainly a body on the floor for a few minutes. With that said, I would take the FLoury in a heartbeat.

30. bung
    10:27 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Hood would do fine at Vargas spot.

31. Jason
    10:28 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Vargas is bad as broke dick dog.

32. BigBooBlue
    10:28 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

I think this post is in poor taste. Open season on a Kentucky player. I’m sure he isn’t TRYING to suck and is probably a nice person.

33. old-school
    10:29 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury probably helped the team’s GPA more as well – I mean the kid transferred to an IVY league school.

But all the hate directed to Vargas is unfortunate. Going back to BTI’s topic yesterday – I’m not inclined to be too critical of a college player for his ability/inability or his performance or lack thereof as long as you see effort.

I think fans have a right to be critical if they see a poor on-court attitude or off-the-court issues that put the program in a bad light – and things such as poor sportsmanship should always be open to ridicule.

However, I’m not going to join the chorus of haters on Vargas. I’m sure he’s trying – but maybe he’s trying too hard. It’s the same with Hood and Poole – they know their chances to make an impact are limited so they put too much pressure on themselves.

Let those kids get out there for stretches of 7-8 minutes at at time – work up a sweat, get into the flow of the game. That’s hard to do now in conference play – but it could and should ahve been done earlier in the season. Instead – even then Cal more often than not used them only for mop up duty or occasssionlly would put them in for three or four minute stretches in the first half.

34. yesterdays
    10:30 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

I wonder what Cal says to this kid?? Transfer? Asks someone to beat him up so he gets tougher? Its like he doesnt even want to be out there. We either have to find someone else or hes gotta get better because hes our only big man off the bench this year and next.

35. kyhank
    10:31 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

I think Eloy has some great upside he must be a good team mate, everyone seems to like him !! I remember when we wondered about Jorts, He needs to stay after it, and it will come, now if we can get T-Jones to play ball and stop looking for the T.V camera we will be a better team.

36. One of Rick's Boyz
    10:31 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

“Better” is not a word I would ever use in referring to Coury or Eloy!

37. Percy Fairlander
    10:31 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

32) President Obama is a nice person and a great father. People are super critical of him. Are we NEVER supposed to criticize nice people?

And how the hell would you know if he is a nice person? He could just as easily be a gigantic prick as much as he is a nice person.

Our tax dollars paid for his scholarship. The scholarship that turned out to be a waste.

Grow a pair.

38. bung
    10:31 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

33) agree…especially on effort.

39. bung
    10:34 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Hood gives effort. Speaking of which, could Polson play down low for Jones? Then we could shoot 3’s from the low post AND pass.

40. JAMES MILBURN
    10:34 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

What i want to know is what Matt Jones has to say now about his big prediction of this team going 13-3 in the SEC. That was ludicrous BEFORE conf play began….I would like to see this addressed on the TV show. Nothing personal, Matt, but come on, last year’s team lost TWO in the conf. You really thought this year’s team, who you admitted on the show was nowhere near last year’s team, would lose only one more conf game than last year’s? I know all about the SEC being supposedly DOWN…did you ever think maybe KENTUCKY’S DOWN??? Maybe that reality needs to be accepted by you and alot of other fans as well.

41. TheHoff
    10:35 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

if we were playing 10 on 10 I’d say sure to letting them out there for 7-8 minutes… but come one…. we can’t take 7-8 minutes of play that bad. can’t we just admit that we are extremely undermanned and weak inside?? I wish Perry would have redshirted last year….

42. Epps2Shep
    10:35 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

worst post in the history of KSR right there.

43. Larry Vaught
    10:36 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

I would like to vote for Jacob Tamme on my Verizon Droid.

But I’ll go with Coury

44. Buzzard
    10:37 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury could a least grab the ball and hold on to it…if no one else was around. Last night Vargas really hurt us. Coury is better. We’d be better off giving minutes to Hood instead of Vargas.

45. ATT Troy
    10:37 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

I know Vargas isn’t playing well at the moment. But I have high hopes for him! I think we could see him make a break out season in the next few seasons! GO GO VARGAS!!

46. ThankfulCat
    10:37 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury because he could think on the floor and actually learn.

This team is not good. That Lunardi #3 seed is looking like a dream right now.

This team could lose 5 more conference games easily

At UT
    At UF
    At SC
    Home MSU
    Home GA

I’m hoping they can go 11-5 but right now that seems pretty iffy.

47. BigBooBlue
    10:38 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Percy, it is you who needs to “grow a pair”…a pair of brains so when one isn’t working like today you can insert the other one.

48. Citizen Cane
    10:39 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury is better.

49. T
    10:39 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

I think Eloy will surprise people next year and become a legitimate back-up. He still doesn’t understand the game and Coach hasn’t had time to give him a Jorts like shake-up. He will never be good, but I think next year he will servicable for 8-10 minutes a game like Perry was last year. He won’t give us much but he won’t set us back either. Or I could be wrong and he will be the biggest bust since Darnell Dodson.

50. old-school
    10:40 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

41- when we were playing Coppin State, Mississippi Valley and others like that we could afford to give the subs more playing time – and with a bench as short as ours – that playign time experience was much needed.

Now that the conference has started – it’s hard to get those guys the minutes they need.

What’s the most minutes Vargas has logged this season? What about Hood – if I’m not mistaken Hood’s most minutes came against LSU and while he didn’t score alot – he did show some good things out there.

Right now – this team is only a six-man squad and Cal has only recently begun to bemoan that fact. The time to address this was back in November and December when the bottom three or four guys could have been improved and gotten more confidence.

I’m afraid Cal’s biggest concern- even against the Coppin States of the world – is to play his high-profile guys – pad their stats and get the attention of NBA scouts. It’s about living up to the promise he made them to get them to the next level – while the commitment to building a complete team is secondary.

51. Daniel
    10:40 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Curry is better because he understands the game better than Vargas. Curry did more with less. Vargas runs around like an idiot with his head spinning around in circles. He looks clueless every second of every game. Vargas is softer and dumber than Curry. Vargas should be cut in the offseason.

52. UK3K
    10:41 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury even though he played for the Clyde.

53. bg
    10:42 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Lightning rod. The term is lighning rod, not “lightning poll.” Which, incidentally, even if the correct term, would be incorrect due to spelling. Pole, not poll.

And you can’t “throw out a lightning [sic] poll.” A lightning rod is a person or topic that is a frequent target of negative reactions or debate. Vargas may be a lightning rod, but you can’t “throw out” a lightning rod.

Language separates us from the animals, let’s at least try to be directionally accurate with it.

54. The Oval Office
    10:42 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

All we need from Vargas is Rebounding and SOME somewhat quality minutes (preserve the status quo while Harrelson gets a breather). Apparently that is TOO MUCH to ask. That is unfortunate.

55. covenantcat
    10:43 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

This is an unfair question to ask. Cal has always said that his DDR system and defense scheme exposes players and he “can’t hide you.” If Coury were playing in this system he would be just as exposed as Vargas. Both are not very quick and have trouble rebounding, blocking shots, and recovering on defense. They are different type of players. Coury worked his butt off and got rewarded for it. I’m sure the current players want desperately to play well for Cal, but some of them get lost in his style of play because it requires them to beat their man on both ends of the floor and Vargas does not have the raw talent and ability to hang with top SEC bigs even though he may try as hard as he can. Same would go for Coury. Give Vargas another year under Cal and he will be much improved.

56. John Calipari
    10:45 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

That was the worst 1 minute in UK basketball history.

57. BlueinMI
    10:46 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Probably take Vargas by a very narrow margin. Vargas is just waaaayyyyy too soft and seems lost out there most of the time, even against inferior talent. Perhaps he can be “salvaged” by the time he’s done here and develop like we’re seeing from Jorts this season. This reminds me too much of the “project” years under Tubby…having to wait 2-3 years for a kid to be productive.

58. T
    10:46 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Everyone saying we will lose 5-6 conference games, please remember that we could also beat every SEC team from here out. I know that’s not likely, but to act like we aren’t capable of beating anyone anywhere still is silly. Please see @Louisville, Notre Dame and Washington on Nuetral courts. That’s 3 top 25 teams we beat away from Rupp. Now I get that we have some work to do, but we are still the team with the highest ceiling for growth in the country and the team that just beat LSU by 40.

59. OneAndDone
    10:46 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury is better, and it’s not even close. I’m every bit of 5’6″ and could out power Vargas in the post. What a P^$$y.

60. Aesop
    10:46 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Why not put Shegari and Jared Carter up on that poll? Perhaps the biggest wastes of space until this Vargas joke. Wasn’t he a former McD’s AA?

61. symphonist
    10:47 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Right now I’d have to go with Coury. But to give some perspective on the 2 players in question, I believe I’d rather have Rob Locke (or “Lob Rock” as my dad called him) than either of them right now!

62. Bryan the Intern
    10:48 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

53) A lightning poll is also known as a quick survey.

But thanks for your lengthy breakdown of nothing.

63. Neil
    10:48 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury was better than Vargus. Eloy Vargus could possibly be the worst player in the history of Kentucky Basketball. He is absolutely pitiful. I can’t stand him.

64. Mike Punchline
    10:48 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

No contest, Floury! I never liked him, but watching vargas makes me want to kill kittens.

65. Harley Wells
    10:48 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

BTI this post sucks. Good grief…

66. voice of reason
    10:49 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

for those who were asking…. clip of Kige on tosh.0 is on deadspin now

67. ukslamdunk
    10:49 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Every team needs a NAPOLEON DYNOMITE

68. bobby perry
    10:49 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

i was better then both of them, wait was i????

69. ukslamdunk
    10:49 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Every team needs a NAPOLEON DYNAMITE

70. C Pullem
    10:53 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury

71. Al's IndiCats
    10:54 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

If Vargas would hustle like Coury did I couldn’t complain, but in all honesty, sometimes Vargas looks like he’s never been in a game before. I’m not sure if he’s over whelmed or what. I completely feel for the guy out there. Last night he was thrown a pass in the corner, I foget who threw it but the last thing you need is for one of your bigs in the corner with the ball, that doesn’t see much time at that!

72. bgisstupid
    10:56 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

53) you’re an idiot. lightning, like quick. poll, like when you ask a question and people answer. so a quick poll. it’s a play on words. get off your high horse.

73. Jerimy
    10:58 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

You know, I might have too harsh on him. But he just has to put out more damn effort, he just looks weak as hell. If he could grab a ball, hold on to it and swing his arms a bit. If the fanbase is calling him soft and weak you know the scouting report on him is gonna be much the same. I don’t condone it, but he needs to get into a tussle with someone, sucker punch a bitch in the post, just knock someone down HARD when they are going for an easy shot/dunk. Hell, as the great warren zevon said, hit somebody.

74. bg
    11:00 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

62) If that’s a common term in your world, then I stand corrected. A quick Google search of “lightning poll definition” yields zero results defining it in the first 4 pages(I stopped there). In fact, Google attempts to correct the search to “lightning pool definition.”

But you’re probably right, Google and I are most likely wrong.

75. John
    11:02 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

It looks to me like he has got worse as the year has progressed. I would bet that the motivational approach Cal is used to using on high profile talent just isn’t a lead motivator for Vargas. He’s lost all confidence, looks doubtful and hesitant, and has finds himself at a crossroads in his game. In his head he’s not hearing, “I’m going to be better than everybody else” or “I can do this”. He’s hearing “Maybe I’m not that good” and “Maybe I don’t really want to play ball if everyone yells at me all the time”.

He’s not pushing through to persevere. He’s losing his mojo.

76. 2020
    11:04 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

What did we expect from Vargas when he sucked at Florida? Not like he was stuck playing behind Tim Tebow. He was behind Kenny Kadji and still got in only 9 games. Donovan isn’t that big of an idiot.

77. bg
    11:06 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

62) If that’s a common term in your world then I stand corrected. A quick Google search of “lightning pool definitions” yields zero results defining the term in the first four pages(I stopped there). Google actually attemps to alter the search request to “lightning pool definition.”

But you’re probably right, Google and I are most likely wrong.

78. Tanya Stevens
    11:06 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

@T, beating LSU by 40 is something EKU could do. The problem is, they can’t play SEC teams away at all. Period. They have to get tougher. And, their “fearless leader” needs to keep his calm and collect himself before flying off the handle about TJ and how selfish he was. No one else was doing a thing. He needs to re-evaluate putting in Hood or Vargas when UK is up by 2 or 4. That is ridiculous.

79. MtnCat
    11:06 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury knew his role, Vargas has yet to display working knowledge. Coury hit his ceiling, Vargas is a work in progress. Coach has seen it in Eloy or he would not be on the roster. Can’t hide, remember? Mark would not have been on Cal’s roster just eye of the beholder syndrome. Tubby, Clyde, and Cal look for different traits and mold them to their vision. Mark contributed in the eyes of his coaches, so does Eloy. Go Cats and Go Eloy!

80. C Pullem
    11:06 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

63. We talked about this during a game a few weeks ago. I can’t think of a single post player in UK history who seemed less prepared/capable to play at this level. Coury was much more effective because he was, at the very least, a phyical player. I remember one UNC game at Rupp when Coury actually shut Psycho T down for 10-12 minutes. Could Vargas do that?

The fact that he is on the court at all speaks to the level of depletion following last season’s exodus.

This will pass. Enjoy this team but don’t expect too much. Next season is the reckoning.

81. pccatsfan
    11:07 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Very poor taste in doing this post. No need to encourage an attack of a player who is coming off a bad game. When did you become Jerry Tipton?

82. TreyDay
    11:07 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

I wish Vargas was still a gator. Would have been open season everytime we played them.
    Coury 110% on this one.

83. Barbercat
    11:08 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Got’a go with mark I don’t think Cornell would except an eloy transfer

84. Worriedaboutthecats
    11:08 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Vargas is, in my mind, a better player – although, at this point, I don’t think any of us can tell it. He was a top 50 (maybe even a top 25 recruit – I’d have to look back), but, at this point in time, he looks completely confused, disoriented, and any other adjective that you can think of. He also looks very weak compared to our opponents (in fact, I thought, that half of the night against Alabama, we looked like boys playing against men or bullies). I’m not sure what the end result will be for Vargas – I just don’t see him coming off of the bench and giving usANY quality minutes this year (especially if they are 2 minutes like last night). I agree with 71, I almost feel sorry for the kid (almost).

85. Google This
    11:09 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

53),74) Over 1,500 results on Google for “lightning poll”. You’re not that smart.

86. bung
    11:10 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

We woulda won if Hood had played for Jones

87. Timpleton
    11:14 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Really throwing him to the dogs, BTI, you dick. Lets all rally and get pissed off at at kid that we’ll be hanging all over
    once/if he has a decent game. Get over yourself

88. upinya25
    11:14 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

vargas has to go…he has entire body rigormortus above the waist…ill be glad when anthony davis gets here, of course vargas is still our back up option next year even though jones shld be staring bc he is no where near nba ready

89. bung
    11:16 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

I wish Coach Rod was a pol & would take a poll for our lightnin low pole players. Then Polson would get Jones spot to shoot 3’s and pass.

90. TonyDelk00
    11:17 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

I pick “C”

91. Blaker18
    11:19 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Did this team get sponsored by Charmin Ultra Soft? We got some head cases who can’t handle things when it gets tough. I know they are young, but how many times is Jone going to commit a stupid fowl when somoeone rejects his shot? Vargas needs to head back home. He is weak as pond water.

Anybody get a count on how many F – bombs Cal dropped last night? I bet Jones got at least 20 in his direction.

92. emmertsucks
    11:21 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Mom said if you can’t say something nice about someone don’t say anything at at all.Coury helps the team GPA

93. Perfect Patterson
    11:22 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

I still think his Dad passing away has to be a lingering blow to the stomach for Vargas. Wish he would play better?SURE…Worst minute in UK history?Perhaps…If my dad passed away a couple months ago and I was a 20(ish) year old would I do any better? Hell no, I probably wouldn’t be playing basketball.

94. bg
    11:22 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

85,72) Was searching for “lightning poll definition.” “Lightning poll” brings up several hits. Apparently I’m just not familiar with the term. I’ve changed my “2010 Favorite KSR Blogger” vote to BTI now.

95. bung
    11:22 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

I thought he was callin Jones a Falcon.

96. cousin it
    11:23 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Wow!When did we turn into Loserville? Bashing one of our own just isn’t cool.I don’t care how bad you think he is.Bash Cal for playing him or not developing him,but leave leave the player out of such senseless trashing.

97. bung
    11:26 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Yeah, we recruited him and Jones and Enes. Thank goodness for in-state players. Miller was the best on the floor and Hood would have joined him.

98. MissesBoogie
    11:26 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

You all are blind! Eloy is the worst player to ever wear the blue and white, at least Mark Coury hustled and even though he sucked he sucked as hard as he could. Vargas can’t physically and literally get a rebound in the south eastern conference! If I was a coach I would rather have Mark Coury on my team over Eloy any day of the week.

99. cousin it
    11:26 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Posts like this is why you are so far down in the blogger contest BTI.

100. CurryFlurry
    11:26 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

COURY and it’s not even close.

101. MissesBoogie
    11:28 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Cousin it, your an idiot we the fans have a right to question any player or coach. I don’t agree with booing our own team or not supporting the program but this kid is cleary awful and doesn’t try or show signs of improvement.

102. bgisnotstupid
    11:30 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

94) i can respect that. BTI’s still not getting my vote though. I like him, but, come on…

103. LEarn how to spell
    11:31 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

its lightning POLE

104. LEarn how to spell
    11:31 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

because eoy needs to get struck HAHHAHAHA

105. bung
    11:31 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

I like Alabama’s Governor. He would have gotten Emmert to talk.

106. KokomoJoe
    11:32 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

I’d rather have a blind circus midget down low than having Vargas’ butter-laden fingers down there

107. Brett
    11:35 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

#22 bluecalizone gave us the right answer and the rest is excess. End of discussion.

108. Kentucky1
    11:36 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

The Flurry…because he was pretty good on the defensive end of the floor. He took a lot of charges and hustled. Eloy has heavy feet and slow reation to everything going on around him!

109. adam
    11:37 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

How bad do we need perry stevenson now??? Pretty ironic

110. cousin it
    11:38 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Missesboogie, whats the difference in booing and bashing on here? Some of you just need to grow up and stop beeing a$$holes!This post is just “lowclass”.

111. bung
    11:39 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

This has become a lightning bucket this morning

112. bung
    11:41 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

109 Yep….bring back Perry and Hood….no wait we could still play Hood.

113. Mark
    11:44 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

I would be shocked if Eloy ever became a contributor, but to blame last night’s loss on him any way is terrible. If Brandon Knight (whom I really like) would have started playing before 10 minutes left in the game, we probably would have won. If Terrence Jones played hard for 35 minutes, we would have won. Those are our two best players, the loss is on them, not Eloy.

114. Willie and Waylon
    11:44 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Vargas could at least start for mighty Cornell. That was something even Coury couldn’t achieve.

Jared Carter sucked worse than both of them.

115. AlwaysTrueBlue(ATB)
    11:45 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury, he was better defensively, had better feet and better hands. He wasn’t as big and didn’t shoot any worse.

116. bung
    11:46 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Carter had 16 pts and 6 rebounds for Rochester last game….He does sooo much better when he plays.

117. bg
    11:48 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

94) Didn’t really change it, just wanted to make him feel good.

118. bung
    11:52 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Hood has better stats when he plays….course the team was shootin 37% or sumpin, so it may be a while b4 he gets a chance again.

119. Upset
    11:55 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

They are both low grade players, they should have never put on the jersey.
    What a waste of everybodys time.

120. dudeupnorth
    11:59 am January 19, 2011 Permalink

Who cares? Both are horrible. Nothing I hate more than a big guy who’s on a team just because he’s big. There isn’t a decent 6ft 8in student roaming the campus that can walk on and be more productive then Eloy? Seriously? It’s a shame that he even has to be an option for this team.

121. fattmurray
    12:01 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

You know how when you watch our football team play Florida, and it just sucks because you root so hard for UK’s players but they’re just not good enough to compete with Florida’s talent. Well, that’s how I feel when Vargas, (and Coury) is in the game. Neither one is an SEC caliber athlete.

122. Guusje84
    12:04 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I am now certain that E-Vargas is a paid player for another team, purposely sucking balls for Kentucky..

123. steve
    12:04 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Mark Coury because he has gotten to the sweet 16 (Cornell) and Eloy will not be on the roster by the time Kentucky finishes this season.

124. Catblue in LR
    12:06 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

@#46–not to be Chicken Little, but they could also lose down here at Arkansas. I’ll be at that game and have been planning all along to celebrate a UK rout. But, remember, Arkansas just beat this Alabama team, and if the Cats play as poorly as last night, the same fate could await them in Fayetteville.

Also not to sure anymore about UT and UF in Rupp.

125. JJK
    12:07 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury and, sadly, it’s not even close.

126. KF
    12:13 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

At Least Coury helped the GPA

127. J-Bone
    12:19 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I’d take Coury, Vargas reminds me an eighth grader playing his first day of basketball coming off of a growth spurt, just less physical

128. HMM
    12:20 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

It is one thing to send away BGs recruits when they are seniors, do you really think Calipari would send away his own – especially when one of his own coaches is the kids main life mentor?

129. Checks Pool Room
    12:21 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

What is sad is we could of won the game at different times but the 2 biggest I blame on harrellson 1) the missed dunk right after halftime and the stupid tip in rebound that Harrellson tip in on the other basket for Bama…..4 Pts.

130. Scutaro
    12:27 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury Flurry

131. Tony's HUGE Left Ear
    12:28 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Not even close, Coury > Eloy

132. fatcar
    12:28 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

i deserve a scholarship more than vargas. im 5’8 but i would play a hell of a lot harder and im sure i get better grades

133. Hella Wasted
    12:30 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Wow, the arrogance of some of us UK fans…guys let’s back off of one of our own, Eloy is a CAT, let’s support him through this and help him achieve his potential as family of BBN!! If we keep acting like brats and keep beating our chest about the class coming in next year, we might get a heavy dose of karma, in the worst possible manner!!!

134. Sherwood44
    12:32 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury was better simply because we didn’t need him half as bad as we need Eloy. Coury didn’t make NEARLY as many mistakes, he just didn’t do much of anything. Eloy is a negative. Coury was just… there.

135. GB
    12:35 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury is better….but then again anyone with a PULSE is better than Vargas…calling Vargas a “PROJECT” would be a huge complement to him! He makes Shagari look like a #1 draft choice! His reaction time is SNAIL LIKE!

136. wcfan33
    12:39 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Mark Coury could play circles around Vargas. Vargas is a waste.

137. UK Wildcat
    12:40 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I understand that Vargas is only supposed to give Harrellson some relief minutes when he gets tired or in foul trouble, but I’d rather have Harrellson in with 4 fouls barely able to breathe than to have Vargas on the court for one second.

138. February Sweeps
    12:51 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury and it ain’t even close

139. Just saying
    12:59 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Vargus is simply the worst player to ever where a UK uniform. Ive been a UK fan for 30 years, and can not remember a single player with less ability. Not only does he look like the talent is lacking, so is his heart. AND THAT is something Coury atleast had. Coury was a walk-on that was forced to start for Gillispie, everything he did was positive for what was actually expected, but Vargus was a top50 recruit, and played well at the JUCO ranks. When he comes in the game my teeth hurt. Id rather see John Hood play the 5, Stacy Poole run the point and Polson playing the wing, than ever see Vargus on the floor

140. The Monster Mash
    1:10 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury, because he can’t play for us anymore.
    Seriously though, sit Vargas. Go small to give Jorts a breather or when in foul trouble. Give Poole some run. Not too keen on Hood. Plays way to scared. And he gives you hardly anything positive unless he makes shots.

141. Thomas Clay
    1:11 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I would take any player off the Lady Cats over Vargas (no offense to the Lady Cats). I was at the game and made the EXACT same observations as you man. Go Cats!

142. Rockon
    1:12 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

If Matt were still running this website a post like this would have never gone up. Shameful crap from BTI. Hope you all feel better saying nasty things about a kid.

143. a REAL fan
    1:20 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

This post and the majority of the comments here are disgusting. To create an open forum for the idiot fringe in our fanbase to come on here and bash one of our own players (who happened to lose a parent just prior to the season – not that it would be acceptable otherwise) is classless, trashy, and pathetic.

Do you people READ your comments before you post?!? YOU are the folks opposing coaches are referring to when they tell recruits that to play for UK is to play for a nut-job fanbase that legitimately feels they OWN the players and will treat them as such.

To clear a few things up:

UKAA pays for the scholarships awarded to athletes. You friggin tax dollars go nowhere near them – you don’t OWN the players.

Also – to the poster who said folks like me and players like Vargas should “grow a pair” – really??? You are a grown man or woman posting anonymously on an internet forum attacking a college athlete who recently went through a personal tragedy for not playing ball up to your expectations. You sir, need to grow your own pair and perhaps some brain tissue while you’re at it.

144. BTI = Idiot
    1:21 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Agree with 142. How shameful and classless (sort of like Coach Cal last night).

145. VII
    1:21 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury is better.

The only player I can think of as bad as Vargas in recent memory is Sheray “I Know Where Tubby Buried The Body” Thomas although my friend “The Dougie” claims Aminu Timberlake was as bad as Eloy.

146. Go Deep
    1:36 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

isn’t it the Coach’s responsibility to get the players ready for each game? We were very lazy in the first 25 minutes.

147. UK recruit Parent . . .
    1:41 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Geeez, I thought seeing Coach scream “YOU SELFISH F_ _K” at T.Jones was bad but now seeng how a fansite blasts their own players, my son and I are going to have another conversation. . . .

148. indiana uk fan
    1:51 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Eloy is worthless Coury is alot better!!! Plus I heard eloy is a dick head as a person..

149. Stop the hate
    1:51 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Well said #143. Nothing like a few fringe idiots eating their own young to help perpetuate the negative image of the UK fan base.

150. Kanter Banter
    1:52 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Vargas needs to sit for the rest of the season. I would rather see players that try than to walk and won’t get on the ground for loose balls. He is one of the most laziest player the cats have had in a long time. I can’t make myself root for a guy that doesn’t give effort.

bench his ass!

151. bung
    1:53 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

can we have some wimmin pics now?

152. Cliff Hawkins' crossover
    1:58 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Folks, it’s just a game. Eloy Vargas lost his father a few weeks ago. The vast majority of BBN do not agree with the ‘hate’ being spewed toward a few young men that lost a friggin basketball game last night.

I contemplated deleting this blog from my favorites a few days ago after a reference was made about Lute Olsen not being present at the Arizona shooting that took the life of a nine year-old little girl. However, after reading the immature crap being said because we lost a game…well ‘Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies’

153. indiana uk fan
    1:58 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

cant wait for next year.

154. Cliff Hawkins' crossover
    1:59 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

#143…you are the man!

155. london
    2:18 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

i have to say coury, at least he could catch a pass
    or grab a rebound without falling on the floor or
    loosing it

156. rickyisking
    2:24 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

You could insert any name and the answer will NEVER be Vargas.

157. TreyDay
    2:26 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

#143- Vargas still sucks.

158. Cat89
    2:35 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

#143 Bam! Great Post!

159. a REAL fan
    2:41 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

#157, thanks for proving my point correct. What exactly does your post (or this entire post really) add to our program – other than making you and other feel more manly by anonymously tearing down college athletes who can’t respond to you directly?!? The answer – NOTHING! The only thing those comments do is serve as evidence that other coaches and fans can use to paint the picture that the UK fanbase is truly a nut house full of self-appointed basketball experts who feel that they own each athlete simply because they own a few “Kentucky ” sweatshirts. So really – why do it? It accomplishes NOTHING and can only be used to hurt the program’s image.

160. mike o'bryan
    4:38 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

I am 64 and 5’9″ and I am better than Varga.

161. Daniel McNally
    4:48 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Mark Coury and it isn’t close.

162. sangaman
    4:48 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Coury is better and it isn’t close.

163. Jabba Walker
    5:49 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Eloy has issues, he does but coury was horrible. No comparison to me, Eloy is better. On the first play that lead him to throw a stray pass ending in a dunk, that wasn’t his fault. He was given the ball in a bad position and did what he could to get it out. Put just as much blame on KNIGHT (everyone’s savior “this year”) for passing the ball to him in that posistion. But not defending him too much because he hasn’t showed me shit and he has a lot to learn obviously but much rather have him than coury.

164. America
    8:00 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Mark “the flurry of fury” Coury is from the Land that I Love….Vargas is not.

165. Flippy23
    9:23 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Vargas is rapidly approaching “stiff” status…….which is too bad considering how badly we need minutes down low……Cal needs to recruit the beast-thugs a bit better, like Cousins and Bledsoe, they could really help us right now….. we need a Jamal Maglore, Heshimu Evans, Anthony Epps sorta guy….

166. uk cat fan
    9:50 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Eloy Vargas is the epitomy of wasted space on the floor. He can only make a shot with 10 feet of space around him. Defense: forgot about defense. Vargas lets anyone 5′ 7″ an above through. I think he would be better as a parking attendant letting people find spaces. Mark Coury was actually smart. He had little talent but he at least was teachable and tried hard. Calipari wastes his breath on Vargas. He should take more breath out on Jones and Harrelson. Vargas is a big disappointment.

167. Blackstone
    10:25 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

Vargas is in pretty bad shape at the moment. He has no agility, no feel for the game, and desperately needs to hit the weight room. In fact, I really do not know what the coaching staff saw that convinced them he needed a scholarship. I suppose they saw the writing on the wall with our post depth and figured he could grab a few rebounds if nothing else. Should have probably looked into that a little closer before pulling the trigger… He may be a great kid, but he is no ballplayer.

168. #truth
    10:45 pm January 19, 2011 Permalink

This post blows. Eloy was brought in by Cal, is proud to be a wildcat, and is working hard. I’d love to see ANYONE who’s popping off on this thread do HALF as good as Eloy in a game. I appreciate the young man!