If this is the type of guy who thinks I suck, I think I can go on living pretty happy. Also, a FANTASTIC Avatar costume with a little WKU theme. I love that she is wearing the #1 jersey because that’s pretty much all the wins the Tops can get in football.
Now, onto today’s rambling:
I don’t know the last time Kentucky led the NBA in total players on roster headed into a season. You might think in the mid-1990’s this was possible, with numerous players starting with Mashburn and Chapman in the league at the same time, but I am nearly certain North Carolina still led the league in alumni. In the 2000’s, Duke and UCONN have led the fray, and now with Ben Howland getting tons of talent into the league, UCLA leads the way with 14 alumni. But with 5 draftees in 2010, Kentucky was able to jump up to 2nd with 13 total players.
Current college teams with 10+ players in the NBA:
1. UCLA: 14(Afflalo, Ariza, Barnes, Collison, Davis, Farmar, Gadzuric, Holiday, Hollins, Kapono, Love, Mbah a Moute, Watson, Westbrook)
2. Kentucky: 13(Azubuike, Bledsoe, Bogans, Cousins, Hayes, Magloire, Meeks, Mohammed, Orton, Patterson, Prince, Rondo, Wall)
2. Duke: 13(Battier, Boozer, Brand, Deng, Duhon, Dunleavy, Henderson, Hill, Jones, Maggette, McRoberts, Redick, Williams)
4. North Carolina: 12(Carter, Davis, Ellington, Felton, Hansbrough, Haywood, Jamison, Lawson, Stackhouse, Williams, Williams, Wright)
4. Kansas: 12(Arthur, Aldridge, Chalmers, Collins, Collison, Gooden, Henry, Hinrich, Jackson, Pierce, Rush, Wright)
6. Connecticut: 11(Adrien, Allen, Armstrong, Butler, Gay, Gordon, Okafor, Price, Thabeet, Hamilton, Villaneuva)
7. Arizona: 10(Arenas, Bayless, Budinger, Bibby, Frye, Hill, Igoudola, Jefferson, Terry, Walton)
7. Florida: 10(Bonner, Brewer, Calathes, Haslem, Horford, Lee, Miller, Noah, Speights, Williams)
7. Texas: 10(Aldridge, Augustin, Bradley, Durant, Evans, Ford, Gibson, Ivey, James, Pittman)
Now, if you look at nbadraft.net and their 2011 NBA Draft Projections, Kentucky has 3 players projected to be drafted in 2011, while UCLA has only 1. Now, you don’t know who might retire or not find a team next season, like Magloire and Mohammed, but if Kentucky can hold onto their current players plus add Knight, Kanter, and Jones next season, they likely will jump into the #1 spot. With Gilchrist and Co. coming the next season, even with the retirement of Nazr and Jamaal, Kentucky looks to have a firm grasp on the most players in the league for sometime now.
And with our firm grasp on the NFL right now with Tamme and Johnson and the impending arrival of Donald Russell and Winston Guy, it’s fair to say that Kentucky is ruling the sports world right now.