BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Keith Bogans, Where is the Love?

Keith Bogans will be headed back to Lexington to play in the now much heralded game against the Dominican Republic, and it gives me a chance to bring up something that is one of my biggest pet peeves as a UK fan: Why doesn’t Bogans get the love that other UK legends do?  Certainly there are some people who do love Keith Bogans, but I would think that if you rated favorite UK players since 2000, Bogans would rank behind Tayshaun, Chuck Hayes, Wall, Cousins, Knight, and Kanter.  And that is BEST CASE SCENARIO.  I think some people would argue that Magloire was more loved, Erik Daniels was more loved, and Ramel and/or Joe were more loved.

But, in terms of actual careers, none of those guys had the career that Bogans had.  NONE. OF. THEM.  Just a quick refresher of what Bogans did in Lexington:

-4th all-time in points
-35th all-time in rebounds
-14th all-time in assists
-12th all-time in steals
-2nd all-time in 3-pointers made
-101 total wins
-8 NCAA Tournament wins
-4 SEC East Titles
-2 SEC Tournament Titles
-Captain of only undefeated SEC season in history

This guy played 4 years in Lexington, had one of the greatest freshman seasons and arguably the best senior season in UK history when team success is included.  And after a small dispute in his first year, he did it all while being a leader on the team with no off the court problems.  Oh, and on top of all of that, he continues to play in the NBA, something Daniels, Fitch, Bradley, or Crawford can say.  Remember, Bogans was a STARTER on the best team in the NBA last year (until the playoffs).  I truly don’t know what else Bogans can do, or has done, to sway UK fans in large numbers.  But I still would call the overall fan opinion of Bogans lukewarm.

And don’t tell me that he never made a Final Four.  Again, Prince, Hayes, Wall, and Cousins never made a Final Four either.  So, what is it?  Why doesn’t Bogans get the elevation to LEGEND status that some of his counterparts in the decade get?  Does his coming back for this game help his cause.  When you bring up which modern players should have their jerseys retired, Bogans often gets overlooked.  I would argue he should be the 2nd choice behind Delk.

When the player announcements are made during the game in Lexington, I truly hope the one for Bogans is as loud as any.  But, if fan opinion of him over the last 5 years tells me anything, I worry that will not be the case.  Which is sad to me, because Bogans produced more than almost anybody at Kentucky.  Bogans represented the program better than most and Bogans has continued to represent the program well in the NBA.  So count me as a person who says the player I am most looking forward to seeing again is Keith Bogans, the man, the myth, the legend, and the damned sprained ankle.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

73 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Keith Bogans, Where is the Love?

1. Jorts
    9:06 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Uh, I hate to break it to you, but I think the best team in the NBA last season was the Mavs. That’s why they have the playoffs. And I love Bogans, btw. He was the first basketball player I saw on campus my freshman year. He almost ran me over coming out of the classroom building. Definitely one of those guys that looks bigger in person than on TV.

2. tavius the unworldly
    9:08 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

That 2003 team was the best team that never won a championship imo

3. 7ukncaa
    9:09 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Never loved Bogans but grew to respect him. Always thought he was a me first kind of a player his first three years. He also never or rarely ever hit clutch shots to win games assuming Athletes in Action does not count. I remember him missing two free throws vs the Gators in the swamp and vs USC in the NCAA tourney that really hurt at the end. For such a prolific scorer you would expect more end of game scoring whereas Prince made a ton of late game shots.

I thought he also wanted to leave UK ASAP for the NBA but was not good enough to be drafted.

All that being said he turned into an absolute model leader on one of the greatest defensive teams in NCAA history. His senior year was a transformnation from scorer to leader. He led the best team in America in 2003 before his ankle injury. Pretty impressive for a team made up of zero first round NBA players. Keith is a good example of why players can benefit from four years in college. I am glad he was a wildcat but I can see why he is not an all time favorite.

4. JackB
    9:09 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Wall, Cuz, Knight, Kanter – just more recent. We love the recent guys we remember well.
    Prince – it helps his pro career has been a little more high profile. He was also pretty consistent over his career.
    Hayes – his popularity is all about attitude and the sense that he played better than his talent – and still does in the NBA.

Bogans – biggest problem for him is the awful year he had in the middle of his career. His personality also did not seem as warm and fuzzy as some of UK’s more popular players. But I always liked him and felt bad for him when he struggled there in the middle of his career – you could tell he was giving it his all. Unlike, say Pricket, who just made me yell “Dernit Opie!” every time he missed another lay up. Bogans – glad to have him back.

5. bluesince66
    9:10 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

I think his trying to leave after either his sophomore or junior year probably has something to do with it.

6. Tobias Funke
    9:10 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Great post, BTI. your best in a while.

I love Keef!

7. Hard Hittin' CAT
    9:10 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Wow, I can’t believe I’m in total agreement with ya, BTI. I’m a huge Bogans fan.

I’ve said in many jerseys being retired arguments that Bogans should be one of the top 2 including being ahead of Prince. I was at UK at the time when Bogans and Prince were representing UK. Most people overlook Bogans’ accomplishments. 4 years, 4th all time in scoring!!, and a ton of wins!! Nice BTI.

8. robshairgel
    9:11 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Keith has always been one of my favorites!

9. JackB
    9:12 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

I think #3’s note about lack of late game heroics is also true. Bradley was the same way until his Sr year when all of sudden he became late game money. Fitch and Prince were also late game money players (forget UAB).

10. philthyphil
    9:12 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

I can remember an NCAA tournament game against Tulsa in which Keith block a shot. When I later watched the tape of the game, the microphone under the basket picked up Keith’s voice and you can hear him say: “Get that shit out of here.” Awesome!!

11. sylvar
    9:22 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Bogans doesn’t get enough love? Maybe from this site, but I can’t think of any one who didn’t love Keith. I so wish he could have been healthy for the Marquette game. I think if had any strikes against him it was from the media…I don’t remember him as the most quotable guy, but he always went hard on the court.

12. Jerimy
    9:26 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

I dig kb

13. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    9:27 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Damnit….BTI is correct. Along with his terrible junior season, I think a lot of people blame Bogans for getting hurt, thus losing to Marquette and not getting to the 2003 Final 4.

14. reedwizard
    9:28 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

I rooted hard for Bogans but always felt like he let the team down in big moments. He was a shot machine and would kill ball movement some games trying to find his shot or get ‘his.’ Plus, those teams never lived up to their potential and then with team turmoil I think a lot of fans had a bad taste in there mouth growing and was starting to turn on Tubby and a few of the players. I also thought Gerald Fitch was a much better player and much less talented. Worked very hard and played within the team concept, everything I wish Bogans would have done.

And for the record, I thought Joe Crawford was just like Bogans but was even more selfish/concerned about getting the h* outta here. I also don’t get all the love for Ramel. I liked him a lot as a person/personality but really didn’t think he was a good player until his senior year. One year a god does not make. Sorry Jorts

15. Tom
    9:29 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

KSR might not drool over him as much as the others but there is no way that Knight and Kanter are more beloved than Bogans. I’d even say Wall and Cousins are questionable but maybe they are more popular with young fans. Regardless, there is no way in hell Kanter is more popular than Bogans

16. ATB (Always True Blue)
    9:30 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

sylvar I agree. If we would have had him against Marquette, D-Wade wouldn’t have went off and we would be playing for #9. Bogans was indeed a great player. He stayed out of the lime light and I know alot of folks felt he got his numbers through lack of sharing. I don’t see it that way, I think alot of the UK fan-base was killed after Bogans went down his senior year in the last game. We knew it was over for our title hopes. Bogans is truly one of the Kentucky greats just not one you remember for big time moments. He was what he was supposed to be. Daniels and Hayes were not supposed to be able to play the positions they play. Prince, knocks down the three’s against UNC, Fitch hit like a billion game winners, Delk just hit everything in sight, Mashburn well he was the Monster, Chapman had the hops and so did Skywalker, the Unforgettables they were just that. Bogans was great but he was supposed to be. I love him just as much as any other player and I hope Cats fan’s show him the love…

17. Birdman
    9:32 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Great post. Bogans deserves love… I loved his “future cousins and bledsoe will appreciate this” talking and provoking he used to do.

18. UKinL_ville
    9:36 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

I don’t remember Bogans the way you do BTI. I remember a kid that tried very hard to be a stand-out UK Basketball player, but who was maybe a year or two behind his expectations. I thought he had the talent to be a great pro player before his junior season. He lacked maturity, like every other kid his age, but not ability. From the Smith era Bogans is my absolute favorite. When he was on, he was spectacular. I believe he loved our University and loved being a Wildcat. I couldn’t give him any more love than that.

19. RYNO
    9:36 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

I always loved Bogans. When I was in the Army, I was friends with a bunch of hardcore NBA fans, and they always ribbed by by saying that UK never has any stars in the NBA. At the time that was pretty much accurate, save Tayshaun fresh off an NBA championship. Anyway, I always said, “Watch out for Bogans! He’s gonna be a star!”. Okay, I wasn’t exactly right about being a star, but he’s had a very successful NBA career and I’m very happy he stuck. He’s one of my all time favorites. Great post. I have the same take on UK fans outlook on Keith’s contributions. Top 5 all time scorer means a heckuva lot at a school like UK, and should get more love.

20. John
    9:38 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Keith may not get mentioned as much as some of the later guys like Wall, and Cousins, but I think Keith is beloved by the BBN and it will be shown when he’s introduced at the legends game. Keith was and is a class act and had to do much more on his own while at UK than some of the guys listed before him. I always hear people talk about Chuck Hayes with such great admiration, and I loved the guy too, but no more so than I did Keith. There were way more instances that I was frustrated with Chuck’s performance as a Cat than I was Bogans.

21. BO GANS for 3333333
    9:41 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

I just remember one year (tayshaun’s last year) … when Keith I didn’t feel contributed like he could have … his freshman year he seemed so stout…I would have to look at the stats to re-visit…but he had an ability to score, smooth handles, and a nice j…he was a baller…and has that name from three that gets the announcer at RUPP so HYPE>…ala BOGANSSSSS for three…lookin forward to the TAYSHAUN KEITH COMBO again… it’s okay cards fans…I’m sure sisco the dragon and edgar will try hard for yall.

22. the chuck and erik combo...
    9:43 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

to me chuck was so good because he and Erik Daniels played off each other sooooo well…would love to see that from our new guys in 11-12…LEGGOO TJ…

23. Where's the love for Patterson
    9:43 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

How can Patterson not be in the most beloved list?

24. Barry White
    9:44 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

me and Keith sing at the same level…deep on the dl

25. brandon
    9:46 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

he doesn’t get the love because he wasn’t a legend….sorry, but his stats and performance just dont support it. he was a good player, really good defender, but a legend he was not. for pete’s sake, he couldn’t make a jump shot outside of the paint until his senior year. his shooting was horrid.

26. Bryan the Intern
    9:51 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

25) I hope that was sarcasm. “His stats don’t support it”? He is 4th on the scoring list. So I guess there are only 3 players who are legends at UK. Mashburn was not a legend?

27. david blincoe
    9:53 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

wasn’t the 54 team undefeated. if so, had to have and undefeated SEC.

28. Al's IndiCats
    9:59 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Great Post B, I too remember Keith pushing too hard in his freshman year trying to the man, but I also think that might have had something to do with Tubby as the coach. I knew in my heart when KB went down with his ankle all hopes for #8 was in the tank. That’s the way it goes in sports. I won’t be at any of the games in the next few weeks but I sure hope the crowd gives him props he deserves.
    With so many collegent and pros getting into trouble today, you NEVER heard any dirt about Keith.

29. Bogs is my Fav
    10:00 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

He is my favorite UK player of all time and had he not had that “down” junior season he would have been UK’s All Time Leading Scorer. I still cannot believe he is not revered in Kentucky lore! Please Chuck Hayes over Bogans? Heck even Wall, Cousins and Prince…hell no!

30. BravoBigBlue
    10:00 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

I for one have always been a Keith Bogans fan. One of the best players Tubby recruited and one tough SOB. He carried us his senior year. He just wouldn’t be denied. And I am glad he has had a very nice NBA career. I think he is highly respected among his teammates and his opponents. Keith has represented the University well. It’s good he’s coming back. Let’s all give him some live.

31. Dr. Dick Fitzenbutts
    10:02 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

10- That happens on every play.

32. stafford
    10:03 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

People say “BTI sucks” for a reason. People will cheer for Bogans and they’ll do it loudly! The guy was absolutely STELLAR and unselfish in his senior season. The leader of maybe the best non-championship season in UK history. And fourth all-time in scoring. When he graduated he said he wanted to come back to Lex after his playing days are over; that he loved it here. You don’t think that guy is going to get love? Doofus.

33. Kyle
    10:05 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Two things on why Bogans isn’t as popular as maybe he should be: (1) His junior season when he underachieved (had he played better he and Prince should have taken us to the Final Four) and (2) him getting hurt his senior year and thus UK losing to Marquette. I know that isn’t his fault, but had he been healthy and we beat MU, then things would have been different with Bogans.

34. Ummm
    10:06 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Its gonna take more than a one and done player to even take Bogans spot with me. He is numero uno with me!

35. Pup, MD
    10:09 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

His interactions on campus might be some of it. He and Erik Daniels almost ran over me one day (believe it or not, I had the right of way with a walk-sign crossing Euclid–I wasn’t playing frogger in front of Holmes), and they were total pricks about it. And I had been Erik’s tutor, so unless he just blanked, I should have at least looked familiar. Fortunately, they were in Erik’s really stupid looking VW, so hitting me probably would have done as much damage to the car as my legs.

In relation to post #1, Bogans also about ran me over a few times over at CATS (in the hall, not on Euclid). I’m surprised he didn’t get called for charging more often.

That was pretty much par for the course for the people I knew who interacted with him.

Despite this crap (compared to Tayshaun who would just smile at you, hold the door for you at White Hall just to be a nice dude), still loved Bogans on the court. But sucking his junior year did take a toll after he tested the draft after sophomore year. Being gutsy during his senior year helped.

Most of these other guys never had to play catch-up after alienating people. And Bogans alienated people testing the draft too early before it was fashionable to do so and then sucking for most of 2002, when we had an arguably more talented team than we did in 03 or 04. His attitude turned around so much on the court in 03 that he certainly deserves to be a Legend (would have loved to see him play D-Wade uninjured), but doesn’t deserve to be more beloved than a lot of the guys on that team.

36. Buzzard
    10:10 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

I’ve always been a big Keith Bogans fan. He played hard all the time. And much like Chuck Hays, he had a strong will to win. You can count on me to give him a big hand when his name is announced at Rupp.

37. jay
    10:13 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

PPat is the most beloved player of the last 10 years. Hands down, nobody comes close. How could you leave him off the list?

38. dpvatty
    10:19 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Bogans was my favorite player of the 2000’s. I am likely in the minority, particularly in regard to Hayes, Prince, and Patterson. No way would I put Wall, Counsins, Kanter, etc. in front of him.

39. Sarah White
    10:23 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

My family – me, my husband, son and 3 daughters love Bogans. When we were in New Orleans, the guys were out the night before the Champtionship game. The minute they were spotted, our children were screaming, Bogans, Bogans, Bogans. He patiently took pictures with the group, individuals, talked to us. Seemed a little shy, but we loved him. He remains one of my favorites. However, my husband will never forgive him because we had been in line for over 45 minutes waiting to get seated, and when our kids (later followed by me)started screaming and running, the restaurant wouldn’t seat him because the whole party was not there.

40. Blue2daCore
    10:23 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

No love? You did a post all the way back in May asking us to rate our favorite UK players of all time, and Bogans came in 15th. Not too shabby. That’s ahead of Harrellson, Turner, Mercer, Walker, Pelphrey, Farmer, AND Vernon Hatton! I can’t wait to see him next Monday and give him a round of applause he so well deserves! Go Legendary Cats!!!

41. TreyDay
    10:42 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

#33 has it dead on. That junior season was painful to watch at times. Biggest slump based on talent. Going out senior year with an injury really caused a lot of people to forget how good his UK campaign was (the other 3 years).

42. nashvillecatsfan
    10:50 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

I never realized that Keith Bogans wasn’t getting enough love. How much love do you think he needs?

43. kyrobman
    10:57 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

I don’t know nor care how everyone else feels but I love Bogans. Had he not been injured (ankle)in ’03 and we ran into a buzzsaw named Dwayne Wade and friends I think we would have been in the final game.

44. Mattcat68
    11:12 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Wow, until I read this post, I was unaware that Bogans wasn’t getting the love that other UK legends do. He’s always been on my favorites list.

45. nashvillecatsfan
    11:19 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

“This guy played 4 years in Lexington, had one of the greatest freshman seasons and arguably the best senior season in UK history when team success is included.”

You really think he had arguably the best senior season in UK history? Have you ever heard of Dan Issel? Check out these stats. I don’t think you can make any argument that he had the best senior season in UK history. Kentucky was one of the final eight teams in the tournament in Issel’s final season as well, along with finishing with a 26-2 record. I think the probably isn’t so much people not giving Bogans enough love as it is you giving him too much.

46. Mr. Zija
    11:35 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Frankly, I am trying to forget everything from the tubby debacle. If tubby was half a coach neither Prince or Bogans would have stayed for four years. Think about it….

47. GOP
    11:37 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

Bti, talk smack about Keith some more And I’ll beat you up. Ramel And Joe more loved than Keith????? Are you even a cats fan? I hate you bti, and hope you get carpal tunnel and can’t type anymore. Keith you are loved regardless of the h-cap bti and his silly thoughts.

48. NBA league pass
    11:37 am August 5, 2011 Permalink

I loved Bogans. I like the fact that he was apparently a bit of a prick. This is basketball, not church.

49. Robshairgel
    12:16 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

#47 LOL!

50. Flag City Cat
    12:22 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Bogans was a man child, talked to him on Bourbon Street during SEC and he’s was solid while behaving better than Sky Walker…lol! Also, he gave you a 100% on both ends and played huge on defense…typically stopping opponents #1 guy. He showed real heart again D-Wade with that high ankle spring as well. Help defense could have been better!!!

I knew he was a fighter when he popped his teammate in the locker room in high school before coming to UK. He fought for us every time he stepped on the court!

Thank You Mr. Bogans

51. The truth
    12:32 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Bogans doesnt get the respect that these guys have because he didnt have the personality, hayes was a guy who overachieved, prince came out and went straight to a starter in the league along. Wall, Cousins, Rameal, And Joe all had that personality that made them exciting. Bogans on the other had was exactly what everyone expected he came in as a top player and was exactly that but then when he went to the league he was unheard of. It took him 5 years to get on a team where he was playing and this is the first i have heard of him relating himself to UK since he left

52. comebackcat
    12:55 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

This is a much deserved op-ed. Bogans is one of the best UK players in the modern era, and deserves our reverence/respect. He played for four years. He excellend in most of them. He has phenomenal stats (as you showed) and he took a team that wasnt expected to do much and went undefeated in the SEC! I loved that team, felt endeared to them and was prouder of them than any other team that had more talent. this happened because of great coaching (yes I said it!) and great leadership – from Keith Bogans! He was one of my favorit players for how he overcame this pressure and adversity to win. I wish i could turn back the clock, so he didnt get hurt, or so we coud replay the Marquette game.

53. KB7
    1:29 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Basket by Booooooooogans!!! anybody else remember that?

54. R U Fo Realz?
    1:42 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Keith was a very nice guy, I hung out with him quite a bit as he was friends with my roommate. Great player.
    People can hate if they want to, but I think he has no problem holding his head up high. He is a family man with a great NBA career and will get a veteran’s pension.

55. ipeeblue
    2:03 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

I love bogans, always have, always will. Everytime i watch old clips, i always point him out when i see him.

56. Carl
    2:09 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

I liked Bogans but he was not real outspoken when it came to the media so it was hard to get a feel for his personality. He was fairly consistent but never had a game like the 5 treys of Tashaun and he was overshadowed by Tay his soph and junior year. I don’t blame him for getting hurt, I blame Tubby for trying to play him. What a stupid move that was. I’ve always kept up with his stats in the NBA and hope everyone gives him a big BBN welcome on the 15th. I’ll be there on the 16th to do the same if he makes it to lulvul.

57. STEVE!
    2:39 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Always liked Bogans’ swagger and tough-guy play, especially his Senior year. He never backed down from a challenge to show he was the man. My son and I attended Tubby’s Father and Son Camp the summer before Ray Carruth was a Freshman. Bogans worked the camp, and couldn’t have been better with the kids. At night the newcomers joined in the friendly pickup games and the campers got to watch. You could tell Carruth had incredible talent. On an early play he dunked on Bogans, then got in his face running his mouth. The friendly game ended right then. Bogans abused him on both ends of the court the rest of the night.

58. Kenny Power's Jetski
    2:53 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Bogans is a legend! He is one of my favorite UK players. I loved watching him play and he was someone u expected great things from when he touched the ball.
    My favorite uk players would be
    Bogans
    Mercer
    D. Anderson
    Ppatt
    Joe Crawford
    Ramel “smooth” Bradley and his 3pt shot
    Demarcus boogie cousins
    And of course the prince we call tayshaun

59. Says Me
    3:16 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Bogans was a big part of Team Turmoil (part 1), in 01-02. I think that’s the main thing that holds back his legacy as a player.

The Bogans/Prince tandem was awesome in the 2nd half of 2000-2001, when UK finished the season 24-10 after a 7-5 start. Bogans led that team in scoring, not Prince. There were great expectations for 01-02- Saul was gone :), Prince and Bogans were back, there was a lot of other talent. Prince held up his end of the bargain, but Bogans, to put it as simply and accurately as possible, was terrible. He went from 17 ppg to 11.6, his overall shooting went from .473 to .394, and his 3pt percentage went from .361 to .317.

When you have a season like that as a Jr, even when you rebound for a great Sr year, it effects how people view your career.

60. Buckets
    3:18 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Delk, Prince and Bogans, in that order, need their jerseys retired.

61. UKeith26
    3:23 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Keith Bogans was a favorite while he played. But our favorites TODAY have relevance TODAY. Bogans is a pretty bad NBA player. He has rarely started over his career, and he only starts now because Chicago doesn’t have a better SG. But they are shopping for one hard. THey tried to get OJ Mayo this past february to replace him.

BOgans had a great UK career, but is irrelevant today

62. AlohaStateWildcat
    3:31 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Bogans may be my favorite Cat of all time. Maybe a tie with Turner, and now Jorts. I have written him at a couple of his NBA stops to let him know how proud he made me, and thanking him for staying that senior year. His senior year seemed a personal gift to me. I certainly know he doesn’t get the props he deserves from my circle of UK fans, but maybe that’s just my particular circle (and maybe due to the fact I haven’t lived in KY in over 11 years). That ’02-’03 team taught me things about my fandom for which I am still grateful.

63. Bubba in Glenpool
    3:55 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

I tried reading all of the other comments but had to stop and comment. He doesn’t get as much respect because we all watched the games. He was a selfish player, if there was a player ahead of him on the break wide open he’d still try to take it himself just to pad his stats. He’d fight with teammates over rebounds just like Terrence Jones did last year, he merely looked out for himself and not the best interest of the team. That and that only is the reason why I don’t go out of my way for him.

64. SUPREMECATS
    5:14 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

he’s a legend. period.

65. Mike
    5:36 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

Bogans was my favorite player growing up and he is still top 5 of my favorite Wildcats that I’ve ever seen play.

66. Mark
    6:29 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

I agree with your assessment. Bogans has always been vastly underappreciated as a player. One of the best to ever don the uniform! He was tough….a winner. One of those “refuse to lose” guys. I loved his game…and his attitude.

67. scott w
    8:40 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

This is bunk…
    my nephew ‘Bogan’ is named after the guy!!

68. HackRichards
    10:03 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

I always liked Keith Bogans. Didn’t care much for his ankle once…

69. Michael Watts
    10:09 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

My all time favorite player s Keith Bogans. ALL-TIME, loved his game. I couldn’t tell you how many hours I spent trying to perfect his patented jump stop.

70. mashburnfan1
    11:32 pm August 5, 2011 Permalink

I talked to Bogans after a Magic game when UK was struggling {NIT BOUND} a couple years ago. I said man I wish you would go back to UK and help out and he stated he wished he could, he loved his time at UK.

71. Blake
    1:01 am August 6, 2011 Permalink

BTI you freaking blow. How could you leave Patrick Patterson off of any list when talking about popular players?

72. blazer85
    1:02 am August 6, 2011 Permalink

Huge Bogans fan – great all around college player and leader of one of UK’s better runs ever 26 wins in a row I believe- Understandable that the ankle injury is discussed in regards to the Marquette loss and D Wades performance which was a ridiculous 29,11,11,4 blocks, and 1 steal. However, the dude Marquiss pissed off by saying he didn’t know who he was even though he played 3 years at Mississippi St killed us with 24 and 15. Anytime Wade didn’t do something it seemed like he did. He then got this in on Estill after the game “I’m quite sure he knows me now,” Jackson said

73. Tidercat
    12:22 pm August 6, 2011 Permalink

Bogans is in the top five of the last decade with Tayshaun, Pat, Wall, and Chuck Hayes (in no particular order). Without him we don’t come close to a Final Four in 2003, and if he hadn’t sprained his ankle, we have a shot at the title and Dwayne Wade never scores a triple double against us. I don’t know where BTI formulates these crazy opinions.