BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Josh Harrellson and KSR: Where it All Began

joshh.bmp

January 25th, 2008.  On that date, the name Josh Harrellson was first placed on KentuckySportsRadio.  The picture above was the first photo used, which I am sure Josh wishes we would find more often, rather than using his free throw and/or Jorts picture.  So, to honor Josh, I post this picture which clearly shows him on the verge of flying behind this shooter to swat his shot into the 8th row.

And what exactly did Matthew Harper Jones say about Harrellson in that first post:

“Last night we told you that Billy Clyde had decided to go see Jon Hood in Madisonville and then make a trip to St Louis for more recruiting action. However besides starring in Nelly’s newest rap video, it was unclear exactly what Gillispie was doing on his trip or who he was going to see. Well after some detective work, it seems that Billy Clyde was there to watch Junior College big man Josh Harrellson(#55 above). Josh is a 6’9″, big boned center who has the ability to put large amounts of points on the board, scoring 39 in the game before Gillispie arrived.”

Then, on April 23rd, 2008, the personality of Harrellson began to show up on KSR with this picture of Josh at a party with a trio of ladies (although, if I remember correctly, somebody said one of these girls was Josh’s sister):

harrellson44.jpg

And then, of course, the picture that led to an all-time UK nickname, posted first on KSR in the summer of 2008:

Josh Harrellson proved that sometimes on the court performance is not necessary to be loved.  Sometimes having a memorable personality is enough.  KSR was there for the entire ride.  And we were damn proud to do it.

Congrats Josh on 3 memorable years.  Now give your jean shorts to Anthony Davis Jr. and tell him how things work here at KSR.

Article written by Bryan the Intern

38 Comments for BTI’s Rants and Ramblings: Josh Harrellson and KSR: Where it All Began

1. Dicky V
    9:01 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

JIRST!

2. Sherwood8
    9:09 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

I remember the Jorts picture as one at Keeneland? Am I wrong?

3. RockMeLambadeus
    9:09 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

If Jimmy Dykes is wearing jorts tonight, then the terrorists have won.

4. nyrmitz
    9:09 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

jecond?

5. Jeremy Fritz
    9:09 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

Hey guys,

I have been following KSR for years and always get a kick out of the picture with Josh with the girls. That picture was taken in the living room of my house. I was the social chair for the club lacrosse team and we used to throw parties at my house all the time. Our Beach Bash that year was by far our best party I ever threw and it was so cool to see the basketball team show up and bring Harrellson to it on his recruiting visit.

Even though it probably didnt do too much but I like to thing that my party helped bring Jorts to UK.

Thanks guys and keep up the great work on KSR.

6. parker
    9:09 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

1) nice

7. UKFanInCiny
    9:12 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

8. Tobias Funke
    9:18 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

J-O-R-T-S JORTS JORTS JORTS!

9. RondoPlease
    9:18 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

minimal writing accompanied by 3 pictures of Jorts…easily the best post of your career BTI

10. memphis
    9:19 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

5) Thank you for single-handedly bringing Jorts into our lives. Without your Beach Bash (which, if I’m not correct, I’ve heard was the best party you ever threw), Kentucky Basketball wouldn’t be what it is today.

11. SavannahCat
    9:21 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

I know it’s hard for 18 and 19 year olds to get this, but I wish they would;
    Jorts is an example of when you embrace UK, UK embraces you like no other. Jorts sat the bench, endured BCG, and gets yelled at for shooting when he is a good shooter. He hung in there. He is now a top center in the SEC and will always be admired at UK.

12. matt
    9:22 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

10) chill out man its Jorts day

13. westkycatfan
    9:28 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

jorts is the most improved player this year in college bball. go getem jorts your the man

14. GummyBear
    9:28 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

2.. You are right that the above picture was not the first jorts sighting. The picture above was sent in by Jorts himself to show he was embracing the Jorts moniker given by this site. The nickname itself came from his recruiting visit. Although, from memory, I thought it was at a football game at Commonwealth, but I concede it very well could have been at Keenland. I do know for sure it wasn’t from the picture BTI claims it was.

15. WWB
    9:30 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

I haven’t been this sentimental about losing a player since Patrick Sparks.

16. Gaddafi's Pizza
    9:31 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

Have a great game Jorts. We need this win. Also, that pic of Kige as Santa on the bottom left has always disturbed me. That’s all.

17. King Cote
    9:32 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

Is Jorts on his knees or are those some HUGE B’s?

18. Manbearpig
    9:34 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

I’m digging how all pictures of the writers on the site at the top have been changed to Jort Pics

19. Random ESPN Executive
    9:34 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

For tonight’s broadcast, instead of a sky-cam at Rupp, we will have a Jorts-cam! It will be soley dedicated to finding anyone in attendance wearing Jorts! For those getting the HD broadcast, we will place the Jorts-cam on the sides of the picture for your Jorts viewing pleasure!

20. P
    9:39 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

lmao @ 10 hahaha

21. Winston
    9:40 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

14) I know for certain that Jorts did visit the spring game at commonwealth on his visit. He may have gone to Keenland later in the day as well.

22. cawoodcorner
    9:49 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

14) You’re right, the jorts photo was from Commonwealth.

23. 500*
    9:50 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

Should be a great night tonight! Maybe we should wear the throwback denims in honor of Jorts?

24. experience
    9:53 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

JORTS=Just Out Rebound Those Suckers! Congratulations on your career at UK! Remember that there is a lot of ball yet to be played before the jean clad lady sings! Go Big Blue.

25. Irwin R. Fletcher
    10:00 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

23) Brilliant!

26. BigBlueSwami
    10:02 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

You can’t go with the first mention of Jorts if you don’t put up the freethrow picture. For weeks, it was the only picture that surfaced of him.

27. JortsMania
    10:02 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

14…epic-BTI-fail

28. Lando CALrisian
    10:03 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

For some reason, the 3rd pic is not loading. Anybody else having the same problem??

GO JORTS!!!!!!!

29. Coach Enes
    10:07 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

I was at the UK Football Spring Game that year. Jorts was walking around on the side lines with Billy G and a couple of current players. He was clearly wearing jorts at the time. He then went to Keeneland (friends saw him with same hosting crew), and then later on that night, I saw him again at Gambino’s/Gusto’s/whatever, still rocking the Jorts. Long Live Jorts!

30. Al's IndiCats
    10:07 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

KSR, great job for Jorts senior day. BBN embraced Jorts because he became a Cat, but after hearing what Clyde did to him in the restroom stall Thats when I became a big fan of his. With the emergence of Miller, this can only get sweeter as the season winds down. Cats by 15 with both Jorts and Miller having 25 apiece. Good luck Josh where ever life takes you, you’ll always be one of my favorites.

31. big blue
    10:09 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

those girls would be at a lacrosse club party…not our best talent…

32. Jeremy F.
    10:20 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

31. The girls in the picture may have not been the best looking girls at UK or at the party but we didnt discriminate against any girls. It just matters that everyone had a good time and it may have left a little impression on Jorts. I just like to think of it as my one contribution to the storied UK Basketball team and Big Blue Nation.

GO CATS!

33. Pair of cut off wranglers
    10:49 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

wear me josh

34. RA of girls
    10:53 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

I was the RA for the girls at Blanding One. None of them were his sister. They were all on the cross country team at UK. The blonde had a nice rack and was easy as can be seen from her glazed over face(and the many noise complaints coming from her room), she was also from Florida and wore Gator gear all the time. I booed her frequently.

The one to the right was from the Lexington area and was not exactly a looker.

The one in front I do not know much about other than she was on the cross country team.

35. Jorts Day Everyday!
    11:10 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

31.) Well put my friend, well put!!
    So I got a rough draft of what Coach Cal is going to say to the players tonight…..subject to change….
    Ask not what the Jorts can do for you, rather ask what you can do to help Jorts put #8 up in Rupp!!

36. BarstoolU
    11:17 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

Look like all of your hot girls are sending pictures to us while you guys settle for the uglies…

37. Jorts
    11:41 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

Don’t knock my jorts!

38. TJ
    11:51 am March 1, 2011 Permalink

Yeah that photo is not what led to the Jorts fiasco, it was his recruiting trip to UK when he walked around the football stadium in jean shorts.